Quantcast

» «
Photo

If Michael was the only protagonist, how would the game change?

17 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

The story already revolves around him but how would the game change if he was the only MC and Trevor & Franklin just side characters?

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wasn't he originally planned to be the only protagonist before they decided to put three?

• CartmanKusanagi likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wasn't he originally planned to be the only protagonist before they decided to put three?

Certainly feels like that, the story revolves around him. Then Trevor and Franklin is just kind of there

• jaljax likes this

The-Ghost
  • The-Ghost

They mad bro...

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Certainly feels like that, the story revolves around him. Then Trevor and Franklin is just kind of there
Yeah but it's not as much for trevor as it is for franklin, when I played with trevor i can sense some story in there at least, franklin is really the one that's just playable secondary character, no background no character development..
So to the op, it will probably feel the same, instead of having to steal those two cars after prologue you will just get control of Michael on the beach and go on with the story.
  • Journey_95 and jaljax like this

Cheatz/Trickz
  • Cheatz/Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Cheatz/Trickz, 3 weeks ago.

I'm sure the story would've been more focused because we'd be with Michael throughout all his narrative ups and downs. This is something all stories with strong protagonists have in common regardless of the form of media.

Switching protagonists fractures the story due to the varying levels of character development the three each have. I think the only way multiple protagonists work is when we spend a long time with one, and then switch at designated points in the story.
  • Algonquin Assassin and CartmanKusanagi like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yeah but it's not as much for trevor as it is for franklin, when I played with trevor i can sense some story in there at least, franklin is really the one that's just playable secondary character, no background no character development..
So to the op, it will probably feel the same, instead of having to steal those two cars after prologue you will just get control of Michael on the beach and go on with the story.

Agreed, Franklin would be an ok side character but he is a really lackluster protagonist because there just isn't much to his character apart from wanting to get out of the hood and thats already achieved at the end of the first arc..

RetroMystic
  • RetroMystic

Really makes you think

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by RetroMystic, 2 weeks ago.

He was the first developed but R* always intended to have 3 characters. 

Him being developed first really shows eh?

Anyway I feel like if the story revolved solely around Michael it would have made for a much better story of an old retired criminal brought back into the underworld by circumstance and went from there as opposed to trying to shoehorn 3 protagonists into a 69 mission story.

• Journey_95, Sentinel Driver and jaljax like this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Typhus, 2 weeks ago.

It wouldn't fix the issues with the story. To actually improve the game, you'd have to make his family likeable. Instead, they start out as repulsive twats and end the game the exact same way. His son, especially. I mean, Jesus f*cking Christ, what were they thinking? When Merryweather invade Michael's home, why should we care? When did his family show any signs of decency or warmth to actually make the player give a sh*t about them?

Michael would work amazingly well as a solo protagonist, but unless you fix that issue, the central story would still be a complete damn mess.

• Carbonox, Light Syde Riandy, RetroMystic and 1 other like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'd be unhappy if M was the protagonist to play. Not aninteresting character for my tastes, different from the rest for sure but ...meh. Trevor would be a good choice in place of M.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 2 weeks ago

Trevor would be a good choice in place of M.

How so? Trevor doesn't come across like an adult, or a believable criminal. He's more like a 14 year old's idea of what a GTA character should be. The whole game, it just felt like he was trying too hard and any moment would slink back to his trailer, put on his Best of Coldplay CD and start cutting himself. I'm not being glib, either, it was genuinely embarrassing at times.

I'm curious how you think he could have carried the entire game by himself?

• Light Syde Riandy and AlbanyEsperanto like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I'd be unhappy if M was the protagonist to play. Not aninteresting character for my tastes, different from the rest for sure but ...meh. Trevor would be a good choice in place of M.

Trevor is entertaining but he is way too crazy to be the only protagonist. The only reason he is one is because they had 3 so his ridiculous character was balanced out by the other two.

• Light Syde Riandy and AlbanyEsperanto like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think that his character, including the story, is bound to change the nature of many things in the game. Regarding why I like, and prefer Trevor is, simply because I like the unpredictablity and total insanity of his character, which keeps me say, invested in his character for the most part. In fact, until his appearance in game, I didn't have any interest in the story the first time I played the game. He seems to be the least hypocritical character I have seen in the series, without all that morality fluff that doesn't make sense in a GTA game. I love characters that are genuinely honest, without giving a deep monologue about their actions and crimes committed in the past, only to then continue doing those acts of horrible crimes, moments later.

RetroMystic
  • RetroMystic

Really makes you think

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by RetroMystic, 2 weeks ago.

I think that his character, including the story, is bound to change the nature of many things in the game. Regarding why I like, and prefer Trevor is, simply because I like the unpredictablity and total insanity of his character, which keeps me say, invested in his character for the most part. In fact, until his appearance in game, I didn't have any interest in the story the first time I played the game. He seems to be the least hypocritical character I have seen in the series, without all that morality fluff that doesn't make sense in a GTA game. I love characters that are genuinely honest, without giving a deep monologue about their actions and crimes committed in the past, only to then continue doing those acts of horrible crimes, moments later.

*I don't like exploring morally grey areas and I'd rather have my characters be black and white (figuratively).

FIFY

• Algonquin Assassin and Journey_95 like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Journey_95, 2 weeks ago.

It wouldn't fix the issues with the story. To actually improve the game, you'd have to make his family likeable. Instead, they start out as repulsive twats and end the game the exact same way. His son, especially. I mean, Jesus f*cking Christ, what were they thinking? When Merryweather invade Michael's home, why should we care? When did his family show any signs of decency or warmth to actually make the player give a sh*t about them?

Michael would work amazingly well as a solo protagonist, but unless you fix that issue, the central story would still be a complete damn mess.

Agreed  but even a more likable family wouldn't be enough. You would need to cut down on the FIB bullsh*t. That stuff just became so tedious. Instead Madrazzo should have had a bigger role and not been a joke imho.

• CartmanKusanagi and RetroMystic like this

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Daily Globe
  • Finland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Agreed  but even a more likable family wouldn't be enough. You would need to cut down on the FIB bullsh*t. That stuff just became so tedious. Instead Madrazzo should have had a bigger role and not been a joke imho.

By eliminating Trevor's "badass" off-screen moment with Madrazo, I think that could be easily arranged, as well.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 2 weeks ago.

It would probably be structured like GTA4. More choices and a more darker story. His family dying because of the players choices and things like that.

Le biatch
  • Le biatch

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

You have to admit though, it was funny as hell to see Jimmy tea bag one of the downed soldiers trying to kill them.
But seriously, you have to think to yourself..why would they even add a protag with his own family? What is the purpose of that? Is it a glimpse of what a gta character would have gone through if he had settled down? Or is it just satire of how a rich family really acts?

NumberNineLarge
  • NumberNineLarge

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Trevor would have more of an antagonistic role, probably someone Michael would have to knock off.

I'm honestly not sure how the story in its current form would work. Usually the protagonist is the one who's betrayed, not the one who betrays.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users