Quantcast

» «
Photo

How come we never got a GTA in Chicago before?

43 replies to this topic
Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Zello, A week ago.

If there is a good story there sure I just cant really see it in modern day Chicago where it's just young people shooting each other over stupid sh*t.

If it's in the 70s or 80s or even the 90s Chicago could work.

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Crackhead

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

I'm guessing because to Rockstar:

'Liberty City is already big and gray, let's not to another city that's big and gray.'

Just guessing.

Not that it can't be done so it's not big and gray, but in Watch_Dogs the setting was awful. Just big and gray.

Isn't it exactly like that? If a future GTA focuses on any major city, wouldn't it look like more or less the same? As a non-American I couldn't differ between Atlanta or New York or even a Canadian city that is said to be either place. GTA should focus on really scenic towns like LA or Las Vegas that an international audience is familiar with from movies and TV or scenic international locations or offer an outstanding landscape in rural America. Personally I think LA and Miami are somewhat too similar. Washington D.C. might be a an interesting place too, more interesting than Chicago.

• Am Shaegar likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Zello, 5 days ago.

I don't think DC would be a good location for GTA it'd work more for a game like Watch dogs.

But it'd be funny if they did imagine the monuments and all the funny stuff they could do with politicians. If it's the 90s the mayor was on crack and Bill Clinton was having sex in the oval office. Present day they could parody Trump.

In the 2000s they could parody George Bush

DC is pretty boring in present day though aside from politics it's hard to see a present day game in DC unless it's Watch dogs

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Crackhead

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 5 days ago

I don't think DC would be a good location for GTA it'd work more for a game like Watch dogs.

But it'd be funny if they did imagine the monuments and all the funny stuff they could do with politicians. If it's the 90s the mayor was on crack and Bill Clinton was having sex in the oval office. Present day they could parody Trump.

DC is pretty boring in present day though aside from politics it's hard to see a present day game in DC unless it's Watch dogs

I don't quite understand what makes a city boring or not as a location for GTA. I thought LS in GTA V to be pretty boring but enjoyed the countryside which others might consider boring.

DC has famous landmarks as the White House, how can messing around nearby the White House be boring? If the story and game mechanics are well, any place can work, for me most major cities look exactly the same.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Zello, 5 days ago.

The story would be boring R* would probably do the same thing they did with V and focus on working with the feds instead of being a criminal. In V instead of doing heists on their own and focusing on the LS underworld Michael, Trevor, and Franklin spend most of the story working for the FIB. There are gangs in DC like MS-13 and a bunch of other groups but R* would ignore them and focus on the government.

I want to be a criminal in GTA not a government employee.
  • Official General and Beastly40 like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

The story would be boring R* would probably do the same thing they did with V and focus on working with the feds instead of being a criminal. In V instead of doing heists on their own and focusing on the LS underworld the Michael, Trevor, and Franklin spend most of the story working for the FIB. There are gangs in DC like MS-13 and a bunch of other groups but R* would ignore them and focus on the government.

Please....tell me about it lol

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Yinepi, 4 days ago.

My guess? Rockstar doesn't want to do a GTA outside of the three founding cities because there is less appeal to the mass international audience, which in turn could hurt sales. It's a curse of modern gaming development and the current business climate. The AAA publishers don't want their developers taking what would be seen as a marketing risk because games are starting to take way too much money and time to produce now.

I mean, I'd love to see another GTA London. I never been to London or England, but seeing the culture parodied like they did in 2D era was fascinating for this non-English person. It felt unique compared to what the market offered back then, and even still does to this day. But London and British culture doesn't capture the international audience as much as the American ideal does. Rockstar has the ability and resources to parody many different cultures with their games, but they won't because of the risks involved. They get stuck creating the same things over because it sells, and if it doesn't manage to sell as well as the publisher expects, then further development on the series gets terminated like Bully and Manhunt have.

The story would be boring R* would probably do the same thing they did with V and focus on working with the feds instead of being a criminal. In V instead of doing heists on their own and focusing on the LS underworld Michael, Trevor, and Franklin spend most of the story working for the FIB. There are gangs in DC like MS-13 and a bunch of other groups but R* would ignore them and focus on the government.

Technically you were a criminal in GTAV. You were a criminal working for a criminalized governing system.

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Securing the bag.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

I live in DC and it is far from boring.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Technically you were a criminal in GTAV. You were a criminal working for a criminalized governing system.

Regardless of you pointing out the intricacies, it was still a very boring and uninteresting experience for many players - that's the main point. Hence why that theme is commonly and heavily criticized on here. Most people did not want to play as that kind of criminal, they wanted gameplay that focused on a more traditional kind of career criminal seen in previous GTAs, be it a freelancer, gang member, Mafioso, hitman etc. 

I think you completely missed his point. 

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Yinepi, 4 days ago.

Regardless of you pointing out the intricacies, it was still a very boring and uninteresting experience for many players - that's the main point. Hence why that theme is commonly and heavily criticized on here. Most people did not want to play as that kind of criminal, they wanted gameplay that focused on a more traditional kind of career criminal seen in previous GTAs, be it a freelancer, gang member, Mafioso, hitman etc. 

I didn't. I got his sentiment behind his statement, I was just pointing out that his word usage wasn't accurate. Can't say you weren't something when you were.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Official General, 4 days ago.

I didn't. I got his sentiment behind his statement, I was just pointing out that his word usage wasn't accurate. Can't say you weren't something when you were.

@ Yinepi

You're just being petty, it's clear to see what he meant. And it clear to see that he knows that he the protagonists in V were obviously criminals - his usage of the words were deliberate to highlight the criticisms he has of V's government-dominated theme (with possible sarcasm). You just didn't get it, simple. 

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 4 days ago

Sure, whatever you say.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 4 days ago Edited by PaddsterG2k3, 4 days ago.

I think Chicago could work. It wasn't in the original GTA (1997) but then neither was Los Santos nor Las Venturas which featured in SA and V alongside San Fierro which was in the oringinal game as San Andreas.

Pre-SA people on here argued LV wouldn't be possible at it would be "Vice City in the desert" yet it happened.

I think if Rockstar was to return a more gritty, urban centre in the northern US then Chicago would a good choice. Plus the that fact that they haven't been able to viably use snow in a city yet and it might to be soon to return to LC.

Also, we could have a bi-state GTA - Vice State and Carcer (?) State - with the old (VC) and the new (Chicago) in VI.

I feel Chicago would be a fresh alternative to LC and would work well in juxtaposition to a new VC in a bi-state GTA.

My 2 cents.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Zello, 4 days ago.

Okay they weren't government employees they were more like government contractors.

-snip-

I live in DC and it is far from boring.
I also live here in Maryland and aside from all the Government stuff a GTA game set here would get pretty boring unless they focus on MS-13 or another gang.

Anyway Chicago could be cool if they set it during the winter with snow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users