Quantcast

» «
Photo

Multiple protagonists for GTA VI- Yes or no?

60 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Big no from me. It was a bad idea overall and made the game feel cluttered. I like having just one protagonist, its more immersive that way. I basically tried to play as much as Michael as possible anyway (the true main protagonist of GTA V for me).

• CartmanKusanagi and Heavy Duty Ziplock like this

Prasdana21
  • Prasdana21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd say yes if we only have 2 Protagonists for one game. 3 is a "no" for me, unless they do DLCs, then I won't mind it.

ArmyRaidFail404
  • ArmyRaidFail404

Banana Republic without the Bananas

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I feel like having multiple protagonists is a very esoteric thing that only works in a small set of circumstances. GTA IV would have been perfect for it. I mean, everything was already set up for EFLC. GTA V not so much.

For me it felt like the story was forced to revolve around all three protagonists, but really only Michael and Trevor really counted. I mean, 95% of the time Franklin has no bearing on the story. Michael still would have pulled down Madrazo's house even if Franklin wasn't there. He'd still have to do the Vangelico score without Franklin. Trevor would have found out and did all his things. The FIB still would have coerced Michael into working for them. Devin would have still done all his sh*t. The only difference Franklin made was in rescuing Michael. Even at the end, with or without Franklin, Devin and the FIB would each have their respective targets killed.

GTA IV worked because each protagonist was integral to the story. Niko killed Jim, which had an impact on Johnny's story. Johnny kidnapped Roman, having an impact on Niko. Luis interrupted the diamond deal Etc etc.

If GTA VI wants to have multiple protagonists that's fine (I mean, my WIP concept has 4) but every single protagonist needs to influence the story someway. And this is true for a 1 protagonist model as well - a la Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  • Prasdana21 likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

No. Not because of GTA V. But, personally, the whole multiple protagonists thing, in GTA specifically, really doesn't appeal to me. I like the way Far Cry 2 does, by allowing you to play through the whole story in different starting characters, without the switching back and forth system. Even EFLC style isn't particularly interesting, since this is based on three completely different stories than just playing through an entire story with three different characters and their perspectives, which is exactly what I'm interested in.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Ghetto Star

• Facade Corporation
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

GTA V's system was quite hated by some because characters didn't get a chance to get properly developed. Not only the game is rather small, with about 60 missions (excluding prep works), but we get very few missions where the characters are on their own, and most of them are either from when we meet the characters or side-missions. A multiple-charactersystem could work if each character either had more time on their own or of each character fought for a different cause.

GTA IV/EFLC is a good example. Niko doesn't fight for any side other than his own, his family's and of whoever pays, and this gives room for character development, and in EFLC, we've experienced the same story from different points of views, people fighting for the same thing (money/diamonds/heroin) but in different perspectives (hired gun/gang member/overly-loyal employee). This is what I think GTA V lacks, a split between character, that comes between Michael and Trevor eventually, but it is too brief for any character development. For the most part they work together, so who cares who you play as?

My point is: Yes, I'd like another multiple-protaginist GTA, IF it is done right.

• SchizNitz likes this

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I love switch system in GTA V, too bad story is too short for three main protagonists.

I would say yes to multiple protagonists if there is enough mission to introduce & devolop each of them and their respective antagonists.

the consigliere
  • the consigliere

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

If they do multiple protagionists again I think their stories should be more independent of each other kind of like 3 seperate story modes within one game. If the next map has multiple cities each with it's own theme I think each protagionist should start there and have their own identities only having overlap at various points in the game or if you want to recruit for a heist etc. 

I think the game forcing you to use all three protags in missions felt a bit forced at times like switch now to this protag then 20 seconds later switch now again. It's good for variety allowing you to experience different identities without cramming it all into one character, for example getting to play as a expert driver in the city experiencing underground street racing then being able to switch to a different story playing as a hitman working for the mob in a different city with different consequences. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 3 weeks ago.

Nah. I'm sick of multiple protagonists. If there was I'd prefer two at the very most as it would reduce the chance of one of the protagonists being relegated to a third wheel like Franklin. Really I just want to experience a great and enthralling story again with one protagonist like GTA IV.

• SchizNitz, CartmanKusanagi, Mr_Rager and 1 other like this

*DERGaming
  • *DERGaming

“Respect Has to Be Earned, Just Like Money.”

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 3 weeks ago

No I have a feeling that Rockstar would mess up the story like they did for 5.

• Algonquin Assassin and CartmanKusanagi like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Am Shaegar, 3 weeks ago.

I couldn't recall the name of the game earlier in order to share a good example of an interesting multiple playable character system. Checked my GOG library, and finally got the name - Blade of Darkness! Far cry 2 doesn't have any impact on the gameplay, but BOD does, and that's how I would want to see GTA implement, as well.
In BOD all the 4 characters start at different locations but eventually go along the same route, and each of the characters have different strengths and weaknesses, and stats, which have a major impact on the gameplay, and the strategy needed to fight different enemy types. Really cool game.
I'd love to see a mix of FC2 and BOD, where the characters are also available in the open world as buddies, who offer the protagonist various services, and also, their own backstories, and the links that appear in the games main storyline, when you play each of these characters in the role of the main protagonist.

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Liberty City Minute

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Write a story first, then see what's appropriate.
  • A8ul99 likes this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Yinepi, 3 weeks ago.

Nah. Just give me one annoying hypocritical whiny dickhead instead of three. Spare me some insanity.

Writing doesn't work that way. You have to create characters first, then write the story.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Liberty City Minute

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mr_Rager, 3 weeks ago.

Writing doesn't work in just one way, lmao.

Create a world > who/what inhabits this world > where do they fit into this world

That was always my process in writing fiction, not like I'm some authority on the subject though. Just how my mind works, or worked.
  • A8ul99 likes this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Yinepi, 3 weeks ago.

Create a world > who/what inhabits this world > where do they fit into this world

That's pretty much what I just said. You have to create the characters before you can write their story.

VictorVance1239
  • VictorVance1239

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I say yes because not everybody is going to like the story of 1 character so it's good to have other options who are different from one another. I'd actually like to see 4 this time around with a female being one of them. 

If anything Rockstar could make it so playing as one of the characters only is an option if the player isn't interested in switching back and forth between the other characters. 

ArmyRaidFail404
  • ArmyRaidFail404

Banana Republic without the Bananas

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nah. Just give me one annoying hypocritical whiny dickhead instead of three. Spare me some insanity.

Writing doesn't work that way. You have to create characters first, then write the story.

That's pretty much what I just said. You have to create the characters before you can write their story.

That's true, but the amount of characters in a story has little do with the amount of protagonists. Hence seeing what's appropriate isn't asking "how many protagonists do we want to have?" but rather "how many protagonists should we have?"

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Crackhead

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

This is what I would like:

http://gtaforums.com...ou-think-about/

I'd prefer a custom character over multiple characters and don't mind if the protag is a generic henchman, fits better to an open world game as an too elaborated character, the story can live from the antagonists and side characters.

Danie122
  • Danie122

Rat

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 3 weeks ago

No.

One but badass as three.

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

no no no and no, one of their worst ideas.

MostWantedMVP
  • MostWantedMVP

OG

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd honestly prefer one protagonist just like GTA IV.

One character, we learn his backstory, get emotionally connected.

I feel with multiple, too much will be happening at the same time.

• Algonquin Assassin and CartmanKusanagi like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

Agreed. I don’t remember playing a game with multiple protagonists where I’ve felt attached to all of them equally.
  • MostWantedMVP likes this

NumberNineLarge
  • NumberNineLarge

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd prefer one. There are parts of Michael, Trevor and Franklin I like. All of them have appealing qualities to me, but Franklin was clearly neglected in V when he would've been better as a singular protagonist because we'd get to know more of him.

RetroMystic
  • RetroMystic

Really makes you think

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

If we had more time to spend with, let's say hypothetically, 2 protagonists in a campaign with more missions it's certainly possible for us to get connected and emotionally attached to multiple protagonists.

In GTA V they threw in 3 characters and only put in 69 missions for le funny sex joke XD which from a writing perspective was a HUGE mistake on R*'s part. 

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

If we had more time to spend with, let's say hypothetically, 2 protagonists in a campaign with more missions it's certainly possible for us to get connected and emotionally attached to multiple protagonists.

In GTA V they threw in 3 characters and only put in 69 missions for le funny sex joke XD which from a writing perspective was a HUGE mistake on R*'s part. 

Also at least 8-9 of them are like buy masks, buy suits, steal a car vs that don't even contribute any protagonist & antagonist character devolopment.

• RetroMystic likes this

Jack Lupino
  • Jack Lupino

Mark Chump

• Members
  • India

Posted 3 weeks ago

Make 2 protagonist in next gta. One male and another female character.
Best of both worlds.
(But they need to make the female protag look as strong as the male otherwise angry feminists will complain lol)

TheOneLibertonian
  • TheOneLibertonian

Only those who die get closure, the living do not.

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 3 weeks ago

Even though the idea of having multiple protagonists can be improved, having just one protagonist can lead into having a more emphasis on character development and thus leads into a more detailed and gripping story. I find it hard to connect and care about three main characters since it sacrifices the quality of the main story along with having different personalities to deal with.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Even with one protagonist there's no guarantee that people can connect with the character. Multiple protagonists can give great replay value to the game, provided they create a GTA that can be experienced through more perspectives on each playthrough.

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Scenery [Snap] 2017
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

One just like old times.

Someone should make a poll or gather the most wanted things for the next GTA,so far I've noticed "one protagonist" and "locked map" being popular,i mean these things really need to come back,it's more fun and adds better experience imo.

_MK_
  • _MK_

JRod

• Members
  • None
  • Best Scenery [Snap] 2017
    Best Vehicle [Snap] 2016
    Best Scenery [Snap] 2015
    Best Filtered [Snap] 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

I say yes because not everybody is going to like the story of 1 character so it's good to have other options who are different from one another. I'd actually like to see 4 this time around with a female being one of them. 

If anything Rockstar could make it so playing as one of the characters only is an option if the player isn't interested in switching back and forth between the other characters. 

Funny,no one complained since the birth of GTA about the protagonist thing until V came out,it feels messy and you don't really get attached to any one of them,unlike previous GTA's,you can actually have that link with the protagonist,hope that changes with VI.

• anthony and jaljax like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

No thanks....

• CartmanKusanagi likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users