Arthur Morgan's past life

52 replies to this topic
SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago

Oh okay i see. So are you one of the delay people or are you still convinced it'll get out in spring?

tsycho
  • tsycho

Just ignore the bodies.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Spider-Vice, 4 weeks ago.

I'm one of these people, that can't wait to play it :D . Not a fan of this delay/no delay discussion here, because it gets startet over and over again in the general chat every single day over the last months. I mean it's understandable, but still... If R* think they need more time, i'll wait. I trust them.

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Spider-Vice, 4 weeks ago.

Yeah i get where you're coming from. As long as the end result is great.
  • tsycho likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

• Portugal
  • Best Contributor in Rockstar Games 2017
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hey guys, when you're quoting posts please try to erase some of those quotes because it'll clutter the thread. If you can, avoid quoting the post directly above you, it becomes an eyesore after some discussion. :p In fact, your discussion unfortunately is a bit general discussion so I'd encourage you to continue it there and not here.
  • Arrow and SuperKitsune like this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Surely heaven waits for you.

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster in Movies / TV 2017
    Best Jimmy
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'd go with "general/small time outlaw" or a person of the "law gone rogue". Makes the most sense why he'd start working as a hired muscle, even for people like Dutch.
  • SuperKitsune likes this

tsycho
  • tsycho

Just ignore the bodies.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hey guys, when you're quoting posts please try to erase some of those quotes because it'll clutter the thread. If you can, avoid quoting the post directly above you, it becomes an eyesore after some discussion. :p In fact, your discussion unfortunately is a bit general discussion so I'd encourage you to continue it there and not here.

Sorry :D

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by SuperKitsune, 4 weeks ago.

I'd go with "general/small time outlaw" or a person of the "law gone rogue". Makes the most sense why he'd start working as a hired muscle, even for people like Dutch.

You have a valid point there. However Arthur mentions during the second trailer that he and his posse(?) are wanted in three different states and you can hear Edgar Ross (?) hear say much the same.

So unless this is caused by actions in the game, i think Arthur is a big fish (option C) from the start.

Yelda
  • Yelda

Guilty? Sure ...

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Yelda, 4 weeks ago.

If i should say a specific number for age..42 i think. Just in his early fourties would be the maximum i think. Age 40 of 1800's is like the age 50 of today.

Remember in those times advanced health care and a constant supply of nutrient rich foods were pretty rare. Certainly in the barely civilized west of the US.

And i completely agree with that Arthur looks a bit older than rdr1 John Marston (who was around 38).

I don't think Arthur's family will be in the game, but that he had one in the past. In other words they passed away or he left them(remember that death during chilbirth was still very common during that time).

So as to not make it to similar to rdr1 and to give the ability to Art to be a real outlaw if the player wants to.

Indeed, good thing we can discuss such things while waiting for the next big news.

Now I have thought more about Arthur´s past ... :D

In which way do you think his family has been affected in the past? And which members of his family?
His brothers / sisters / parents? His own wife maybe his children?
We have to remember that it's only a few seconds trailer ... but I don´t know for myself, it just doesn´t fit the way we see him there.
How do you come to these thoughts? Please don´t get me wrong ... I don´t want to question your opinion. I´m just curious because so many believe in it :) 

Judging by his behavior in the trailer, he doesn´t seem to have any problems robbing, hurting or killing people just to get money. He seems to be a pureblood-outlaw and has no guilty conscience.

I can´t imagine such a extreme change from a family man to a coldblooded bastard. I don´t know but perhaps I´m missing the imagination :whistle:
Sure ... he wasn´t born evil. He was made that way. Maybe he did a honest job in his past and something happened, so he went the wrong path. Not by chance like the young John. No, at some point Arthur chose this way. He has gone too far. He founds his gang ... and knows that there is no way out for him.

I think someone betrayed him in some way. So he has to run again and again. I could well imagine that ... but how exactly? I have no idea.

Personally I believe that Arthur's story was inspired by Jesse James who became a outlaw during the civil war. Confederate and Union forces fought a long, bloody guerilla war in which numerous gangs of outlaws on both sides committed their crimes under the pretext of military action. They also killed many civilians ... men, women and children. Young Jesse, his older brother Frank and the other gang members were partisans, part of Quantrill's bushwhackers.
After the war they founded the James-Younger-Gang and began to rob banks and trains.

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago

@Yelda

First of all i respect your opinions and i agree very much with the Jesse James vibe we got from the second trailer.

Now i will explain how i come to my ideas.

As i explained in some of the previous posts. I believe Arthur HAD a family. HAD because i either believe he lost them (disease or in the worst case murder) or left them. I don't really believe the other way around because women in those times were pretty helpless without a good man.

Picture this, it's the late 1800's and Arthur just passed his fourties. In those times people had at least 3 children by that age. It was seen as a man's duty to start a family.

Alot of people say "well maybe Arthur never had a family because he was always about the criminal life" I say that is extremely unlikely. Why you ask?

The life expectancy of the average man in those times was MUCH lower than now. Now couple that with being an outlaw and that number is even lower.

Arthur is by the looks of it in his fourties. He couldn't be wanted for over five years. Because simply put he'd be dead by now because outlaws had a horrible lifestyle.

Constant stress by being on the run, paranoia, not always having decent food or fresh water available, health conditions by either a lack of hygiene or staying in the wilderness too much (rabies, swamp fever,...).

So that's why i think Arthur lost it a few years at max before the events of rdr2 and went full out violent outlaw mode.

His Redemption story could be about learning to cope with the loss of his loved ones or realising he shouldn't have left them.
  • Yelda likes this

Yelda
  • Yelda

Guilty? Sure ...

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Yelda, 4 weeks ago.

At this time the number of decent women was very limited.
Only a few made their way to the West, which was considered uncivilized and dangerous for a long time, so mostly only young men traveled to the West in search of a better future. Many worked as cowboy, gold hunter, gambler, outlaw ...
Besides there weren´t many real cities back then ... most were dirty tent cities. No woman wanted to go there and if then rather not of the decent sort that wanted to start a family. This clean little towns with saloon, hotel and sheriff office, which we like to see in movies, wasn´t there in most cases.

This all is a romanticized image of the Wild West and the west was anything but romantic ... these are all clichés but like most here I love them :D

Since the game is probably playing at the end of the 19th century, the time of lawlessness will slowly be over, though not as far as in the first game.
If we assume that Arthur is in his early 40s, he was born in a very rough, hard time. But maybe you are right ... and he had been one of the lucky few with an family.

That is actually a nice thought.

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's a very good point.

However masses of European families migrated to the states as early as the 17th century and yes they settled even in the "dangerous areas".

And even later in the mid 19th century, during the gold rush many families settled in the rural areas even where there was almost no law.
  • Yelda likes this

Yelda
  • Yelda

Guilty? Sure ...

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's a very good point.

However masses of European families migrated to the states as early as the 17th century and yes they settled even in the "dangerous areas".

And even later in the mid 19th century, during the gold rush many families settled in the rural areas even where there was almost no law.

You´re right. I think our thoughts aren´t so far apart. Very nice to write here :D I love this topic, thank you. Let's kill this damn drought until there are new information.

It probably will not be so much historical facts anyway :whistle: I'm curious how it will turn out.

In spite of my believing that Arthur isn´t such a friendly man. Quite the reverse ... he is a real bastard. But I'm still convinced that he has some good characteristics.
I wish me a sense for justice, loyalty, humor and also that he somehow vulnerable ... simply human. I'm sure that Rockstars will do it right.

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yes, hopefully we'll get that info real soon. It's topics like these that keep the waiting a bit more bearable.

History-wise, I think it will be fragments of historical accuracy throughout the the plot of the game.

Agree that Arthur will be a mean son of a bean. I might even say borderline lunatic. I think we haven't seen enough as to how he reacts to his "dear" ones. However i think he will have integrity enough to treat them with respect.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I don't see Arthur as being part of Dutch's gang

but someone that is a close friend and helps them out at times

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 4 weeks ago

Agreed, i think Arthur is going to be a hired muscle because Dutch is getting paranoid.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Zello, 3 weeks ago.

Posted this in the gen chat

Arthur Morgan is probably gonna be like CJ maybe he was with the gang when he was young then went away for a couple of years to maybe travel or he probably saw the early warning signs of Dutch's mental problems and left. Maybe he returns because a family member of his died maybe his brother, wife/ex-wife, parents or whatever.

RDR2 will probably start with him coming back to wherever RDR2 takes place but he hasn't repped the Van der Linde gang in five years but the feds won't give a sh*t.

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 3 weeks ago

Posted this in the gen chat

Arthur Morgan is probably gonna be like CJ maybe he was with the gang when he was young then went away for a couple of years to maybe travel or he probably saw the early warning signs of Dutch's mental problems and left. Maybe he returns because a family member of his died maybe his brother, wife/ex-wife, parents or whatever.

RDR2 will probably start with him coming back to wherever RDR2 takes place but he hasn't repped the Van der Linde gang in five years but the feds won't give a sh*t.

I got the sa reference :D nice one. Though i think Arthur will be more of a temporary force to Dutch's posse because he can't handle his business anymore. I think Arthur has his personal reasons to do so.

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 3 weeks ago

What if Arthur is an undercover Pinkerton agent who's job it is to infiltrate the Van der Linde Gang? It would make sense to show why he's so happy to stay in the gang.

Also, in the second trailer, some guy says 'You're a wanted man Mr. Morgan'. What if this guy is a guy who hands Arthur some fake documentation papers and is explaining that he's posing as an outlaw that's wanted in the country?

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by SuperKitsune, 3 weeks ago.

What if Arthur is an undercover Pinkerton agent who's job it is to infiltrate the Van der Linde Gang? It would make sense to show why he's so happy to stay in the gang.

Also, in the second trailer, some guy says 'You're a wanted man Mr. Morgan'. What if this guy is a guy who hands Arthur some fake documentation papers and is explaining that he's posing as an outlaw that's wanted in the country?

That's a very interesting theory you have and i would even say it's very plausable, however we have those scene's "we got lawmen in three different states after us" and "they chased us from the west, they chased us over the mountains" which seems to indicate they are in fact wanted for criminal actions to a certain degree.

Birda13
  • Birda13

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

I know some may disagree with me, but the voice of the man telling Arthur that he's wanted, sounds almost exactly like Edgar Ross.  I agree with the theory that Arthur will likely be involved with law enforcement in some manner during the game's story, and will work to take down Dutch's Gang from the inside.  Whether he's an undercover agent, or just an outlaw coerced or convinced to aid law enforcement remains to be seen.  It'll be interesting to find out when we finally get our hands on the game.  

• tsycho and SuperKitsune like this

tsycho
  • tsycho

Just ignore the bodies.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

I know some may disagree with me, but the voice of the man telling Arthur that he's wanted, sounds almost exactly like Edgar Ross.  I agree with the theory that Arthur will likely be involved with law enforcement in some manner during the game's story, and will work to take down Dutch's Gang from the inside.  Whether he's an undercover agent, or just an outlaw coerced or convinced to aid law enforcement remains to be seen.  It'll be interesting to find out when we finally get our hands on the game.  

Yes, i agree.

I've made a voice comparison from a cutscene in RDR 1 and the second trailer for RDR2 a while ago: https://clyp.it/f0crn1r2

I'm up to 99% sure it's Ross.

Birda13
  • Birda13

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yes, i agree.

I've made a voice comparison from a cutscene in RDR 1 and the second trailer for RDR2 a while ago: https://clyp.it/f0crn1r2

I'm up to 99% sure it's Ross.

After listening to that back to back, there is no doubt in mind now.  Ross is making an appearance in RDR2.

SuperKitsune
  • SuperKitsune

Kitsune

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 3 weeks ago

Thanks for all your imput on this post I made.

1) I agree completely that "the voice" is Edgar Ross. They are extremely similar sounding.

2) I think Arthur will be a much more complex character than many seem to think he will be. He is either a mercenary or an infiltrator for the law.

Either way the vibe I got from trailer #2 is that is up to no good with Dutch's gang.

3) I think the chances of Arthur working for the law are lower since kinda got that scenario in the first rdr. Either way he's no straight up law man that as talks about being chased and being wanted in three different states.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users