Quantcast

» «
Photo

Rockstar do WHAT? (Reset character progress/Bannings)

76 replies to this topic
Gaffa
  • Gaffa

⭐ S W A G G E R ⭐

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness [GTAO]
    Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

All this makes me worried about the 26k dropped on me by some modder as I was switching sessions. Got away as quickly as I could, but pretty annoyed also that I could lose all my businesses and cars over a measly 26k.

https://support.rock...ru/requests/new

No guarantees, but better safe than sorry

Well I dunno, because that just highlights another failing of the company really... do you report that you received money to them, or not? Some people that did report it, haven't gotten banned, and yet others have. 

https://support.rock...-and-Modded-GTA

The obvious yet possibly inaccurate ones:

Question: I was minding my own business and suddenly received a huge amount of money in GTA Online from a cheater. Am I in trouble?

Answer: To keep the gameplay environment as fair as possible for legitimate players, we routinely do sweeps to separate out cheaters and modders, and to reverse any illegitimate transactions. These sweeps are based on in-game automated detection, examination of suspicious gameplay statistics, and also manually-reviewed evidence submitted by the Community. If you were not engaged in any willful cheating or exploiting yourself, you do not need to worry about getting caught up in our work to separate out cheaters from the rest of the population.

Question: Do I need to report to Rockstar Games the fact that I was given a huge amount of modded money I didn’t want?

Answer: No, you do not need to report this. We are able to tell the difference, automatically through gameplay data, between the cheaters and the players who received this money innocently. Players who were willingly cheating are notified about any action taken against their account. If you were not cheating, you do not need to do anything further.

Question: Are you able to remove the money given to me by a modder if I contact you directly? Should I just wait for the community-wide adjustment?
Answer: We are unable to accept individual requests for GTA$ removal. However, we will be making adjustments to account balances for any players in possession of illegitimate funds.

• Synthwave likes this

Prenihility
  • Prenihility

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

?

"cheaters"? Or actual cheaters? Yes. People who spontaneously combust and explode entire Freemode sessions and kick people, and crash their games, among other things, should be banned.

Yes. And i think that it's a wonderful idea to pull the pin on a hand grenade  and hold it in your hand and wait to see what happens next.[/quote]

So do you think all cheaters should be banned or just menu users? Blastman said all cheaters should be banned. If R* says player created solo publics are cheating. Blastman should be banned.

I actually do not think solo publics are cheating, but are a feature to prevent a complete lag out and allow those players in rural areas or with crappy internet to play.

Wha? No... I do that all the time. Same as the rest of my crew. We like to relax when we play GTAO. Not constantly worry if some asshole in a Hydra is going to destroy our sale. Like i already said. Blowing people up in Freemode. Invincibility.That kind of thing. That's cheating... Solo public sessions? How the hell is that cheating?

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:27 PM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 14 January 2018 - 08:28 PM.

Where do we draw the line? Playing it anyway the developers don't want you to is effectively cheating

GenericGTAO
  • GenericGTAO

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:39 PM Edited by GenericGTAO, 14 January 2018 - 08:41 PM.

Wha? No... I do that all the time. Same as the rest of my crew. We like to relax when we play GTAO. Not constantly worry if some asshole in a Hydra is going to destroy our sale. Like i already said. Blowing people up in Freemode. Invincibility.That kind of thing. That's cheating... Solo public sessions? How the hell is that cheating?

Oh, then you will be surprised at how many people call it cheating. Its definitively not and provable in multiple ways. R* has never explicitly said it was cheating, but R* made attempts to prevent player created solo publics. Its just that when its included as a feature, its kindve hard to claw it back.

flexcreator
  • flexcreator

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

do you report that you received money to them, or not?

I ALWAYS report such situations. Sometimes they remove the amount of money I mention, sometimes not.

I don't trust the support Q/A articles, since they are changing often.  However, the banwaves never change.

I suffered from both moneybags and money injections for 3 years of playing GTA:O on PC. I witnessed all kinds of crap. And yet, R* didn't touch my character, I wasn't affected by a single banwave. My money or progress didn't get wiped. Maybe i'm just lucky and it's not related, but I would stick to the old ways that work for me.

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

The Protagonist In This Story

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:18 PM Edited by Blasterman4EVER, 14 January 2018 - 09:26 PM.

I am not sure what else to say.

It is obvious that some of you do not yet accept that the punishments and intolerance for cheaters is on the rise and is a good thing.

I concede that an overzealous banhammer can be fascist and therefore dangerous.

However, yeah, in certain situations, a cheater should be jailed.

We are entering an era where people are murdering other people in real life over video games. If the stakes are that high, then video gaming is serious, serious business.

When I say that people who cheat in ONLINE video games should be punished, I mean it in the video game and in real life. I dont care if you think its extreme or not.

Its a serious societal problem. Cheaters and modders and all that collection of video gaming terrorists need to be removed from online gaming entirely.

The only real problem is that Rockstar hasnt resorted to paying a professional third-party to police GTAO and serially ban cheaters and glitchers and modders.

Until Rockstar has devoted millions to a live system of real people policing online and banning people permanently, ON THE SPOT for the offense, we are all f*cked.

They need spies who live in the online community for the sole purpose of rapidly removing the degenerate cheating modder bloc for good. And after that, when they reappear online with a new console or IP address or whatever, that is when criminal prosecution is brought against the individual in real life.

Start with community service, counseling, and fine for first time offenders.
Larger fine and more of the same for second time offenders.
Extremely limited time for gross repeat offenders who have been shown to have had adverse emotional or physical effects on other players online through their actions.

For example, a cheater slurring down a kid until he is crying... and that kid kills himself in real life or something like that

Serious jail time for the cheater and massive monetary damages for his family. These tyrants to humanity need to checked and they need to be held accountable.

That is what I want.

gtafan26
  • gtafan26

GTAF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

It is obvious that some of you do not yet accept that the punishments and intolerance for cheaters is on the rise and is a good thing.

We are entering an era where people are murdering other people in real life over video games. If the stakes are that high, then video gaming is serious, serious business.

When I say that people who cheat in ONLINE video games should be punished, I mean it in the video game and in real life. I dont care if you think its extreme or not.

Its a serious societal problem. Cheaters and modders and all that collection of video gaming terrorists need to be removed from online gaming entirely.

The only real problem is that Rockstar hasnt resorted to paying a professional third-party to police GTAO and serially ban cheaters and glitchers and modders.

Until Rockstar has devoted millions to a live system of real people policing online and banning people permanently, ON THE SPOT for the offense, we are all f*cked.

They need spies who live in the online community for the sole purpose of rapidly removing the degenerate cheating modder bloc for good. And after that, when they reappear online with a new console or IP address or whatever, that is when criminal prosecution is brought against the individual.

That is what I want.

Holly sh*t dude, I think you need to seek some help,  and I am not joking, you clearly have some mental issues that need to be address, please get some help.

Do you realize that laws would have to be enacted for gamers to be punished in "IRL" , you do understand that right ?,

• badmoon, Cutter De Blanc, Locce and 4 others like this

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

🦋 This action will have consequences...

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Most Helpful GTA Member 2017
    Best Contributor in GTA 2017
    Best Chatter on Discord 2017
    Best Workshop 2017 (contributor)
    Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

If you cheat or mod or do not obey the terms of service or do anything I already said, youre basically an online gaming terrorist and you must be removed from the community permanently.

This is the most hilarious thing I've read all week.

Cheating is bad, I can agree on that, but saying something like this is a bit extreme.

• badmoon, Jimbatron, PetrolCB and 3 others like this

GenericGTAO
  • GenericGTAO

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:05 PM Edited by GenericGTAO, 14 January 2018 - 10:37 PM.

That is the best post I have read in GTA forums.

Imagine the ramifications of a spy network, "after exbaustive inquiry and man hours spent, we here at R* conclude our player base is predominately 11-15 year old boys. Therefore our age restriction means nothing and we should not publish our finding or we risk being sued after bilking said group of millions on microtransactions."

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful GTA Topic 2017 [The Lone Wolf's Guide to Making Money and Research]

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:07 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 14 January 2018 - 10:11 PM.

I'm annoyed by cheaters. I wouldn't mind R* suing some of the mod menu developers who sell them to cheaters for cash, after all those guys are making money off the back of someone else's IP.

However, suggesting jail time is extreme, as is using words like "gaming terrorist". As frustrating as cheaters are, this sort of language risks cheapening the severity of real life crime.

• kenmy13999, KWF1981, Remapped and 2 others like this

The Chosen Undead
  • The Chosen Undead

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:22 PM

They need spies who live in the online community for the sole purpose of rapidly removing the degenerate cheating modder bloc for good. And after that, when they reappear online with a new console or IP address or whatever, that is when criminal prosecution is brought against the individual in real life.

Extremely limited time for gross repeat offenders who have been shown to have had adverse emotional or physical effects on other players online through their actions.

For example, a cheater slurring down a kid until he is crying... and that kid kills himself in real life or something like that

Serious jail time for the cheater and massive monetary damages for his family. These tyrants to humanity need to checked and they need to be held accountable.

That is what I want.

You alright buddy?

• PetrolCB likes this

Locce
  • Locce

Street Cat

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:28 PM

They need spies who live in the online community for the sole purpose of rapidly removing the degenerate cheating modder bloc for good. And after that, when they reappear online with a new console or IP address or whatever, that is when criminal prosecution is brought against the individual.

That is what I want.

Holly sh*t dude, I think you need to seek some help,  and I am not joking, you clearly have some mental issues that need to be address, please get some help.

Do you realize that laws would have to be enacted for gamers to be punished in "IRL" , you do understand that right ?,

Not only that, but there would have to be laws what developers can and can not demand from players, what standards of transparency they would have to fulfill etc. People would have to take EULAs seriously, and that would include doing away with all the frivolous demands that would be thrown out in court if push came to shove, because nobody in their right mind would actually sign such an utterly one-sided document if it had actual judicial consequences. Punishing players IRL for cheating in an online game could only ever be the very last step in a long line of globally consistent legislation which is not the least reason while the whole idea is utterly insane.

And just to add a bit of a reality check: according to insider information 50% is an acceptable rate of false positives for anti-cheat measures. In Rockstar's case there is not even a realistic method of appeal barring lucky circumstances. The support themselves do not even have the possibility to check the legitimacy of the anti-cheat module's claim that you had modded money. They can not tell you when you got it. They can not tell you from whom. They can not tell you in what form. All they can do is check the log of the anti-cheat module that committed the error in the first place, which is roughly as clever as pressing re-dial after dialing a wrong number.

So, in that "ideal" scenario there would be a 50% chance for you to go to jail as an innocent man on the grounds of scandalously thin evidence. Saying "It never is Rockstar's fault." is not only wrong, it is willfully ignorant.

• The Chosen Undead likes this

Black-Dragon96
  • Black-Dragon96

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:46 PM

That is what I want.

No offence dude but if I may offer you a piece of advice: Look for professional psychological help. What I have just read sounds very alarming to me. Take care.
  • PetrolCB and Khephera like this

purevil101
  • purevil101

Homie

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Afghanistan

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

We all know it's a squeaker asking for money.   Slime ball.   It has been caught by the Gods at R* and you and squeaky balls  have to pay the price for un sporting behavior.   Getting upset over R*'s conduct is pointless and childish.   
If I had to take a educated guess about you playing with cheaters every single time you log into this game.   It is this.   R* are grouping like minded players together.

Ghoffman9
  • Ghoffman9

Friendly?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:56 PM Edited by Ghoffman9, 14 January 2018 - 10:57 PM.

This is why when I received modded money back in the day on the Xbox 360 I wasted no time creating a ticket and notifying them what occurred and that my receiving of the money was not something I asked for nor wanted and asked them to remove it. I anticipated something like this could happen through no fault of my own if I just let it be, so I reached out to Rockstar in order to prevent them from even making the f*ck up in the first place. I even specified the amount I was given.

This is what I would do if I received modded money. I've been fortunate enough to avoid it so far. Had someone try to drop money bags on me once, but was driving and managed to avoid them catching up with me - something of a surreal experience. But managed to disconnect before any landed on me or the game even saved. Whether the support ticket actually would help your case I can't say for certain but I figure it couldn't hurt to cover yourself.

manually reviewed. I think most people could live with a false temporary ban for a month that was appeal-able - the volume of players there has to be some level of automation or it would be unmanageable. However I think they need to re-think their process here.

It did work actually, within a span of an hour all the money was removed and restored back to my original amount, and I just went on with my day. Reaching out does help, and in the event that it didn't work, I planned to use my filing of the ticket as evidence that I did in fact reach out to let them know the situation. Stating they had no right doing what they did considering I reached out to them immediately explaining things.

No amount of PR bullsh*t could get them out of that.

• Jimbatron likes this

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:38 AM

If you receive modded money, know it's not actually yours, and don't feel comfortable about the potential consequences, then there's only one thing you can realistically do. Quit the game immediately, contact Rockstar support and tell them you're uncomfortable/unhappy about the situation.

The fact is most people put it to the back of their mind and carry on as normal in the hope that Rockstar won't notice and nothing will be done about it, and as the weeks pass by they think it's been forgotten and it was no big deal, until the next 'sweep' takes place, and then it hurts like crazy when you're punished, sometimes too harshly, for something you didn't even do.

You've got to own up to it and admit it, even when it's got nothing to do with you, otherwise you become an accomplice to the crime whether you like it or not. And robots don't reason, they just act.

No the fact is the game keeps tabs on what you are doing and how much you have in your gaming account, it saves every fifteen minutes or so and IF Rcokstar had spent any real time or cash on their data mining systems instead of cheaping out on them just as much as they cheaped out on on EVERY aspect of their on line infra-structure then it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the modded money could be corrected within hours of it being added. We aren't talking small amounts of cash here we are talking amounts coming to well over anything the game pays out through a singular job activity added to a players account in a matter of minutes and done in a way that doesn;t tie in with any actual money paying activities. Telling Rcokstar and hoping they fix what is clearly at EVERY SINGLE LEVEL a problem at their end, from the crappy anti cheat systems they have implemented right through their awful support, total lack of any kind of mod or real life support in game  and ending with their bloody awful auto cheat correction system the onus is entirely on Rcokstar to fix the issue and fix it quickly.

If you continue to play, and why the bloody hell shouldn't you it's not your fault that Rcokstar are utterly useless at their job (and since GTA O is the only game they have had for the last five years it is their ONLY f*cking job) then you should be safe knowing that when Rcokstar fix their mistake it is isn't going to affect your legitimate activities in the slightest, why should I have to OWN up to being banned or having my account reset to a previous date several weeks down the line for something that, again is entirely at the feet of Rcokstar to fix?

Locce
  • Locce

Street Cat

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:17 AM Edited by Locce, 15 January 2018 - 02:18 AM.

This is why when I received modded money back in the day on the Xbox 360 I wasted no time creating a ticket and notifying them what occurred and that my receiving of the money was not something I asked for nor wanted and asked them to remove it. I anticipated something like this could happen through no fault of my own if I just let it be, so I reached out to Rockstar in order to prevent them from even making the f*ck up in the first place. I even specified the amount I was given.

This is what I would do if I received modded money. I've been fortunate enough to avoid it so far. Had someone try to drop money bags on me once, but was driving and managed to avoid them catching up with me - something of a surreal experience. But managed to disconnect before any landed on me or the game even saved. Whether the support ticket actually would help your case I can't say for certain but I figure it couldn't hurt to cover yourself.

manually reviewed. I think most people could live with a false temporary ban for a month that was appeal-able - the volume of players there has to be some level of automation or it would be unmanageable. However I think they need to re-think their process here.

It did work actually, within a span of an hour all the money was removed and restored back to my original amount, and I just went on with my day. Reaching out does help, and in the event that it didn't work, I planned to use my filing of the ticket as evidence that I did in fact reach out to let them know the situation. Stating they had no right doing what they did considering I reached out to them immediately explaining things.

No amount of PR bullsh*t could get them out of that.

Yeah, that's how it used to be, and in my crew we actually enforced this as the way to deal with modded money drops. Unfortunately, at some point during the first half of 2017 they switched to the infamous policy that gave the automated system sole authority over these kinds of account adjustment (at least for pc and also current-gen consoles afaik). So, unfortunately, this is little more than an anecdote from better times. They don't do that anymore, and when you press them until they do it anyway you won't like the consequence as I have written earlier (meaning: the automated system will ignore the manual adjustment and take your money, and when you have the support reverse that it will take your money again etc. ad nauseam).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users