RDR2 Map: Open or Locked?

24 replies to this topic
djb204
  • djb204

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

I wonder if Redemption 2 will require story progression to unlock different areas/regions of the map (like Redemption1).

Or

Will Rockstar open up the entire map from the start like they did with GTA5?

I personally hope we can explore the entire world right from the start.
  • saintsrow, Vigilante88 and Safari like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

Wake up and smell the coffee

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I prefer locked to enforce some sort of narrative similar to Redemption and older Grand Theft Auto games. Seeing how V was open from the start, R* might've started to change their ways. 

• EVOLUT7ON, djb204 and UAL like this

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Howling Wolves MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago

I prefer an open world from the start for multiplayer, while I prefer enforced narrative locations for single player (if it is not an rpg). If the game however uses a lot of RPG elements (hunting etc.) I think it is the best move to open up the entire map from the start.
  • saintsrow, Acky., djb204 and 2 others like this

Safari
  • Safari

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

It would be much better if it was all accessible, there shouldn't be restrictions in open world games, even though I will probably be too busy doing the missions rather than exploring I usually explore after I've completed story.

• djb204, Vigilante88 and Aquat1co like this

SeniorDerp
  • SeniorDerp

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I’m torn between the two ideas. A closed map means better story immersion but caused me to grow tired of running in circles through the same area. I’d rarely find myself caring to go back to areas I had already spent so much time exploring. With an open map like GTAV, no matter how many times I thought I had been through an area it felt like there was something new about it but because I could “run away” from the main story and explore for so long I’d often forget what was happening and what I had done last.

I’d be happy either way but a part of me leans more toward an open map
  • djb204 and zachsterosu like this

joshua969
  • joshua969

Cholla Springs Tour Guide

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I prefer locked.  Getting to a new area of the map is always so rewarding keeps the world fresh.  I remember being so excited when I unlocked Mexico and later West Elizabeth.

• Efreet, wagszilla, djb204 and 2 others like this

zachsterosu
  • zachsterosu

"My side ain't chosen. My side was given."

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

The layout of the railroad(s) on the leaked map leads me to believe that some areas may be locked. One of my favorite parts of RDR was exploring new territories, so I kinda prefer it that way. It gives you something to look forward to while you progress through the game...
  • Efreet and djb204 like this

djb204
  • djb204

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

The layout of the railroad(s) on the leaked map leads me to believe that some areas may be locked. One of my favorite parts of RDR was exploring new territories, so I kinda prefer it that way. It gives you something to look forward to while you progress through the game...

You gotta keep in mind that we can traverse in water this time (as seen in the trailer) and not to mention there are boats now too. I cant see how a blocked or unfinished railroad would be an effective boundary. Wouldnt we be able to simply swim or take a boat to a new region?

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

You gotta keep in mind that we can traverse in water this time (as seen in the trailer) and not to mention there are boats now too. I cant see how a blocked or unfinished railroad would be an effective boundary. Wouldnt we be able to simply swim or take a boat to a new region?

If it's anything like SA then there might be some sort of obstacle to prevent in-depth exploration prior to the area being unlocked. Like a constant posse chasing you or something.

djb204
  • djb204

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

If it's anything like SA then there might be some sort of obstacle to prevent in-depth exploration prior to the area being unlocked. Like a constant posse chasing you or something.

That worked with SA because the cops had radios, helicopters, communication, etc. They had the ability to keep track of your locations through technology. A constant pursuit by a posse in a Wild West setting would seem very odd. Dont you think?
  • zachsterosu likes this

DexPac
  • DexPac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I'm weird in that I prefer an open map but I'll generally play as if it's locked. I tend to just flow through the story pretty quickly the first time around without too much exploration but knowing there are places I can't go even if I wanted to tends to break the immersion for me.
  • Vigilante88 likes this

djb204
  • djb204

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

I dont see the reason to lock maps anymore, especially with these games having an online multiplayer option. If anyone wanted to bypass locked areas to explore, all theyd need to do is jump online.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

That worked with SA because the cops had radios, helicopters, communication, etc. They had the ability to keep track of your locations through technology. A constant pursuit by a posse in a Wild West setting would seem very odd. Dont you think?

They're both odd. In SA the police will chase you no matter what, Pay n' Sprays and the like do nothing. 

I'd imagine the posse thing would be in the realm of unseen scouts and posse's creating perimeters. This would be fluff to justify to the player why posse's could always find them, no matter the hiding spot. Is it far fetched? Probably, but SA's police force telepathically knowing you've entered Flint County underwater is equally far fetched IMO.   

PapaFuerte
  • PapaFuerte

Rat

• Members
  • Spain

Posted A week ago Edited by PapaFuerte, A week ago.

I feel like it will not be locked necessarily but R* will have some intuitive way to keep you in certain locations. Taking into account we are going to be an outlaw and supposedly on the run, maybe certain areas are where we are being hunted or there is some reason for not being able to cross into different territories. That said, I think it will be open but with those restrictions or consequences, that would make you want to play the story to unlock certain skills etc. before going into those areas/Territories.

Safari
  • Safari

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Safari, A week ago.

I honestly doubt that boundaries will be in the map but rather let you roam about if you choose, because I'm sure R* is aware some people don't like playing story and want that kind of player to still have a fun time exploring the immersive world rather than being closed into a small part of the map and forced to do story doing something they don't enjoy.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

They fixed the multiplayer problem of being able to explore the entire map instantly in MP by delaying the launch of online by 2 weeks with GTA:O and I'd assume they'd do the same here.

Given that you're an outlaw on the run my guess is that the map will be open but you'll be wanted in certain regions so you won't be able to travel around them freely.

• saintsrow, Holland_Hicks and Safari like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

They fixed the multiplayer problem of being able to explore the entire map instantly in MP by delaying the launch of online by 2 weeks with GTA:O and I'd assume they'd do the same here.

Given that you're an outlaw on the run my guess is that the map will be open but you'll be wanted in certain regions so you won't be able to travel around them freely.

Wait, but the base GTA5 game had the map open right from the start, so I don't see the relevance with postponing GTAO release. 

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Wait, but the base GTA5 game had the map open right from the start, so I don't see the relevance with postponing GTAO release. 

It is almost a certain that the decision to make GTA V's map open was made before the decision to delay GTA:O 2 weeks to allow people to play the SP. It's not much of a stretch to think that opening the map was linked to the MP, but then they came up with the idea of delaying GTA:O mid-way through development.

djb204
  • djb204

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago Edited by djb204, A week ago.

I was just gonna make that exact same point lol

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

I was just gonna make that exact same point lol

Like I said above, it's possible that they made V's map open from the start in response to IV having multiplayer and the map being fully explorable day one, but they later decided to postpone GTA:O's launch to give people time to complete the SP which its self was possibly a reaction to IV's completion numbers being quite low.

It's pure speculation of course, we'll probably never know for sure unless they talk about it in press interviews closer to launch. It's not unreasonable to think though IMO. If it's true it would mean that they could do a locked map from the start and not suffer from the multiplayer problem.

• saintsrow likes this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted A week ago

Most people are saying they like an open map from the start. I do, too, so I can explore.  

In any case, since RDR2 is made for Online, it will surely be open at the start, like GTAV.  

Just to frustrate the hell out of the gamer community, Rockstar may do a "reverse map lock," i.e., they might "North Yankton" us, by giving us a few cutscenes and missions in a place that we can't access in RDR2 SP or Online free roam.  Like "St. Mark's Bistro" GTA-SA.  They like to screw with us like that.  We are dirt.  

DexPac
  • DexPac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I assume GTA V's map being open from the start was a combination of geography and story. With the map being just one big island they couldn't really stop players from exploring without massively changing the story. 

Yelda
  • Yelda

Guilty? Sure ...Thatīs just the way it is

• Members
  • Germany

Posted A week ago Edited by Yelda, A week ago.

I actually prefer a locked map, but I could also live with an open one.

I really enjoyed when I unlocked a new area. That was somehow always a big, joyful expectation of what is coming next.

But maybe they could easily come up with some new ideas why you can´t get into a certain part of the map, instead of just laying tree trunks on the bridge or creating an invisible wall ... there are certainly good reasons why you can´t go there as a wanted man.

I find in games where the map is open from the beginning, you will always be so overwhelmed by the impressions ... there are somehow too much and you are afraid to miss something. That's how I felt in Skyrim at the beginning. Even if I really love this game but I didn´t know where to go first ... it was too much at once. And it still happens to me sometimes when I start a new game, because I use a mod that always changes the start of the game. But maybe that's just me ... :lol:

I am also someone who always returns to old areas. For example in RDR, from time to time I returned to MacFarlane´s Ranch ... to my little hut. I also played poker with the cowboys over and over again or caught rustlers for the foreman. Although I wouldn´t have to do that anymore. Somehow I felt well there ... always fascinating, which feelings can trigger games.

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

The story of Arthur being on the run and wanted in different states/towns might serve as a story for why certain parts of the map, by design, could be restricted until the player progresses in the story. It makes sense to see the gang settles and build camps in various parts of the map since they'd always be on the run. Cheating the system and crossing to a restricted state can put the player in serious trouble with lawmen and bounty hunters aggressively start chasing Arthur once the word spreads and wanted posters spread all over towns. I'd support such a narrative-driven map design. 

UAL
  • UAL

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Locked.

I don't know why in GTA V they had the whole map open to explore from the get go.

Just flows better if we have to unlock parts of the map bit by bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users