Quantcast

» «
Photo

How was CJ able to afford to go to Liberty City?

20 replies to this topic
terrytheman947
  • terrytheman947

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

I just realized something! How did CJ have enough money to travel to Liberty City on his own? I mean considering the price to get a plane ticket to the East Coast combined with the fact that CJ has spent most of his life in the ghetto, it's pretty hard to believe he was able to catch a plane all the way to the East Coast, and even if the price for a plane ticket was cheap back in the late 80s, CJ still lives in a poor lifestyle of gangbanging. Do the GSF gang have something special to make so much money that CJ was able to buy a plane ticket to LC? Or did he somehow travel a different way to LC?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 2 weeks ago

You have not been playing long?
You did not notice that you can kill for a money drop (except in Germany & Australia)
Burglary, Maybe that's how Brian got killed. CJ and Brian were robbing a house and Brian got killed, CJ took off with the loot instead of his brother.

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 2 weeks ago

When you live a life of rob and stealing... you can figure out the rest. :)
  • Lioshenka likes this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States
  • GAME MASTER - 1984
    GAME MASTER - 1987
    GAME MASTER - 1990 CHAMPIONSHIP
    GAME MASTER - 1998
    GAME MASTER - 2008
    GAME MASTER - 2012
    GAME MASTER - 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Posted 2 weeks ago

He robs a guy of his wallet during the introduction...we can assume the funds were available there alone.

• ROCKSTAR MANIC likes this

Prasdana21
  • Prasdana21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Prasdana21, 2 weeks ago.

He probably had enough money from crimes (most likely from Burglary) as it was implied that CJ didn't attend Brian's funeral.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think it's far more likely that CJ got to Liberty City by boat or any other "illegal" way. It is also possible that he  travelled by plane with the money the gang collected, since during that time, the gang was at its peak!

• 4nsmiley likes this

4nsmiley
  • 4nsmiley

Busta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Money cheat duh!

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States
  • Best Total Overhaul 2017 [GTA: Underground]
    Best Map 2017 Contribution [Liberty City Countryside]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

He robs a guy of his wallet during the introduction...we can assume the funds were available there alone.

So he robs a guy, in Liberty City, to be able to travel to Liberty City?

And even then, who says he took a plane to Liberty City? He could've driven or just walked there.

• jaljax likes this

Batman Who Laughs
  • Batman Who Laughs

Player Hater

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

I would assume by robbing people and booking a plane. Its CJ after all.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

My guess is that he either robbed another passenger for his/her passport for the next plane or he simply just took another form of transportation (most likely a boat) in a surreptitious manner, mostly likely illegally. Looking back at these games now, the stories are pretty confusing. Then again, it is Grand Theft Auto after all.

CalciumKillah
  • CalciumKillah

Str8 Busta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Assassinating a ho with his knife.

Liam187
  • Liam187

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Liam187, 2 weeks ago.

Grove was really strong and probably made money themselves, although not from the drug trade. He could've taken the funds from this. He also lived a life of crime and was a thief for all of his life, it isn't difficult to conjure up a story for yourself that plausibly explains how he was able to gather up enough funds for a plane ticket.

Ronald Reagan
  • Ronald Reagan

• Members
  • Poland
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 2 weeks ago

He could've driven or just walked there.

In my opinion, that was the case. He just walked there.

• Hmmm nice bike and ArmyRaidFail404 like this

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Lol I assume Tenpenny took some of that guys money too. "Drug Money".

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States
  • GAME MASTER - 1984
    GAME MASTER - 1987
    GAME MASTER - 1990 CHAMPIONSHIP
    GAME MASTER - 1998
    GAME MASTER - 2008
    GAME MASTER - 2012
    GAME MASTER - 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Posted 2 weeks ago

So he robs a guy, in Liberty City, to be able to travel to Liberty City?

And even then, who says he took a plane to Liberty City? He could've driven or just walked there.

For some reason I mis-read the topic question. I thought it was how he was able to afford to go back to Los Santos in the beginning. lol

Also @ Rockstar maniac....that means it not drug money it's some randoms dudes money!

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

CJ had enough money from robbing people on the streets of LS where he spent most of his days before Brian got killed, when one day a couple of Ballas who were up to no good started making trouble in Ganton. He got in one little fight (where Brian got killed) and his mom got scared and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in LC."

• universetwisters likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Shoeless Thorns

• Marshall-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think it's far more likely that CJ got to Liberty City by boat or any other "illegal" way. It is also possible that he  travelled by plane with the money the gang collected, since during that time, the gang was at its peak!

We literally see him checking in at the airport during the game's opening cutscene.

I don't really see a problem with him stealing the money needed, we don't know what CJ was doing for work specifically because it's merely hinted at but I recall from some conversations that he's worked with Joey. Couple that with some pedestrian robberies and I'd say it would more than cover the cost. Rewards were always quite generous in III, who's to say he couldn't earn easy money?

• Am Shaegar likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Surely heaven waits for you.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster in Movies / TV 2017
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 2 weeks ago

He probably made money (to go to Liberty City) by the various means that are already offered in game or just robbed/killed someone for it. Mustn't be that hard. For returning? Well, he worked with Joey Leone and we know that he pays quite well (from GTA III). There's easy money in Liberty City (as shown in III), which is probably why he went there in first place.

ArmyRaidFail404
  • ArmyRaidFail404

Banana Republic without the Bananas

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Well seeing that a plane ticket between the 3 cities costs $500, and assuming that the US in GTA is much smaller than the US IRL, I would guess the ticket would cost around $1000 - $1500 based upon distance alone. Not taking into account the fact that CJ might have travelled first class, gotten some sort of coupon etc,

That kind of money would be a bit difficult to find. Remember that drug dealers weren't really as common in 1987, as in The Introduction we see that Tenpenny only started circulating the drugs the year that CJ came back. Therefore that quick cash is out of the option.

Any robbery would be funds directly monitored by Sweet, and we know that Sweet was not approving of CJ leaving. So any gang related money grabbing activity is out of the question as Sweet would have straight up refused to let CJ go - but let's leave that to debate.

Let's think about how many people CJ would need to kill or rob in order to get the ticket. If each person dropped $30 maximum, that means that at the very least CJ would need to kill over 34 people to pay for a $1000 ticket, and over 50 people for the $1500 ticket. Taking into account the fact that some people don't drop money at all, or some just drop like $5, CJ could just as well kill over 100 people and still not have enough. That's not a very realistic scenario to imagine, even if CJ was the muderous psychopath someone may play him as.

He could do taxi missions. All he'd need to do is drop off 10 people in a row.

So my guess is the taxi missions.

Blaze
  • Blaze

Boss

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Sleuth Deadass 2018
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Blaze, 2 weeks ago.

Literally any of the money making options in the game, I mean CJ could take a freight train through 10 stations and be rewarded with 50k, more than enough for a flight and to start a new life. If we're talking purely canonical in the sense that it's only money making options CJ has access to when he returns and not ones that are introduced then there's still plenty of ways he could scrape up some money.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 2 weeks ago

CJ is a fictional character who did what the scenarists decided he did. If it wasn't immersion-breaking CJ would even have been in Krypton to trap nyan-cats before coming back in Los Santos.

• lil weasel likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users