Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why do people call Tommy Vercetti overrated?

14 replies to this topic
Penguin Bob
  • Penguin Bob

Let's go bowling.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

Clearly Trevor is overrated. Not saying i don't like him, but Trevor is the overrated one. If you think Tommy is overrated, explain to me why is he overrated to you. I thought he was a GREAT protagonist and he had some kind of heart and he had some funny quotes. :D

• Jack Lupino likes this

Jack Lupino
  • Jack Lupino

Studying at Bullworth Academy

• Victim of The Pit™
  • India

Posted 31 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

Not my favourite Protag but he was cool.I would like him if he had more lines to say outside of cutscene.
I would say CJ is overrated.
  • Penguin Bob likes this

Penguin Bob
  • Penguin Bob

Let's go bowling.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

I would like him if he had more lines to say outside of cutscene.

He did have some quotes outside of cutscenes. Mostly insults.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mexico

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Who calls him overrated? The only person who I know calls him that is the PBM who likes feet and little girls.

• anthony, Journey_95 and jaljax like this

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:23 AM

Well to be fair, all the protagonists (except for Toni and Vic maybe) are overrated in some ways.

Claude is overrated due to the fact that many people treat him as if he was a character on his own when the game he was in was released.

Tommy is overrated due to how many people praise how badass he is while also ignoring some of his flaws.

CJ is overrated due to how many fans treat him like he's God (just read SA4life's past comments of him) and even act as if he had no moments where he did anything sordid (I'm looking at you, Osho!).

My point is that fans tend to overrate the protagonists in many different ways.
  • Algonquin Assassin and jaljax like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:52 AM

Nothing wrong. Fans are free to treat any aspect of the game the way they desire. To admire something about the game [ in this case - Tommy Vercetti ] doesn't automatically mean they are overrating him. It depends on what exactly make fans appreciate or admire Tommy in any form. I like CJ a lot, but I also admire Tommy, Claude, and Trevor. People talking about others overrating a protagonist means nothing to me, when they themselves have no hesitation in overrating or exaggerating something they like.

Its good to have different people with different tastes. I don't mind people appreciating Trevor, if they really enjoyed playing him. It doesn't necessarily mean they are overrating him, unless they are using Trevor for some sort of comparison, and objectively compare one or more aspects about him with those protagonists they find or think more overrated than Trevor.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • France

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Like CJ and I suppose many other main characters Tommy has his fan-club but I don't think he's that overrated. Despite being a ruthless-selfish-greedy-unlawful-psychpathic killing-machine he has largely more charism than Claude and his uni-dimensional badass-alpha-male personality serves him right and makes him an agreable character to play although I wouldn't go until saying he's the best main GTA character ever.

• Penguin Bob likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

Tommy might come across a bit cliche (Then again they all do), but what I like about him is his brash, take no sh*t attitude. He's perfect for someone wanting to take over the city to make a name for himself.

• Evil empire likes this

• Neptune Homme

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:04 AM

I wouldn't say he's overrated exactly, but I can understand why people would. He's a protagonist of many firsts for the series. Tommy was the first playable character to receive a voice, and a personality at that. The magic of Claude was you could project your own personality onto him through your playing style. Whilst Tommy definitely had his own voice, opinion and morals, you as the player were able to influence this slightly and his demeanour was generic enough that it fit well within the story and setting. You could play it safe, or you could go in all guns blazing. Whatever your tactics, Tommy never really clashed with it.

He stood out too. Fresh from the drab and dreary city of Liberty, we saw sunshine, palm trees, lapping waves and one of the loudest Hawaiian shirts seen this side of Vice. He stood dominant in early screenshots, wielding a katana overhead that played with the sunset behind him. It's easy to see why people put so much into this character, and why he's so well revered today. Things took a step backwards with CJ, presenting him in nothing but blue jeans and a white vest (at first) that mirrored his surroundings well, but did little to show off what made him special. Tommy is the quintessential protagonist for many, and it just so happens you play as him in one of the most beloved games of the series.

To me? I'm not what you'd call a die-hard Tommy fan but I can see why people would consider him so good as a protagonist.

• Algonquin Assassin and Evil empire like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:25 PM

Well he is pretty popular & thats enough for people to call him overrated. He is my second favourite protagonist of the series, Ray Liotta did a fantastic job and I don't think Tommy is as "simple" as people say he is. 

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:11 AM

Tommy is the best protagonist the GTA series has ever had. He's a ruthless motherf*cker.

If something is there to be taken, Tommy will take it, and not give a f*ck about who he kills on the way.

• Algonquin Assassin and anthony like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

I wouldn't say he's "overrated" 

Tommy is the Harwood Butcher & a badass protagonist IMO

One of my favorite protagonists in the series as well...

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

The Coconut Kid
  • The Coconut Kid

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

I wouldn't call Tommy Vercetti overrated as such but I always felt like the game seriously lacked characters who actually challenged him, except for the Mafia in the final missions. I can see why some people describe him as overrated because there were hardly any major villains in the story for him to face off against. The later games were a lot better in this regard. I really liked controlling a protagonist who refused to back down from any situation, but it did leave me eager to see characters who were a bit tougher for him to deal with...

• Evil empire and Am Shaegar like this

BowlingMaster
  • BowlingMaster

Crackhead

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

I also don't understand why people say that about him. Maybe they liked Lance Vance and Ken Rosenberg too much and seeing that Tommy is not a friendly guy towards them made them angry at the character. In this aspect, I think Rockstar nailed it. Tommy worked for the Forellis and was in prison, so he knows that LV and KR are just business associates and not homies 4 life. His quotes are also memorable, like "Shut up, sit down, relax", "I guess he's about to get paroled", "Vercetti! Remember the name!" and "I just wanted to piss you off before I kill you".

• Algonquin Assassin, anthony and Journey_95 like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

I wouldn't call Tommy Vercetti overrated as such but I always felt like the game seriously lacked characters who actually challenged him, except for the Mafia in the final missions. I can see why some people describe him as overrated because there were hardly any major villains in the story for him to face off against. The later games were a lot better in this regard. I really liked controlling a protagonist who refused to back down from any situation, but it did leave me eager to see characters who were a bit tougher for him to deal with...

Maybe but I feel like SA went to the opposite extreme. CJ just takes sh*t from everyone without doing anything. I definitely prefer Tommy's style instead.

• Algonquin Assassin and RetroMystic like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users