Photo

Lesser Known Classics

29 replies to this topic
Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

This is a thread to talk about good movies which you think are unappreciated and relatively unknown.

My pick is The Wanderers.

This is about teenage gangs in 60's New York, and the trials and tribulations they face. A coming of age story with drama, humour, and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth a watch.

Rubber is my second choice. A surreal adventure about a sentient tyre on a quest for love, who can also use psychic powers to explode those in his way.

• Mister Pink, The N. Bellic Man and Ivan1997GTA like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

hobo with a shotgun isn't a classic but its 2 hours of roy batty going batty so like i'm down

• Richard Power Colt, Halal Cyborg, Neon_Dreaming and 1 other like this

The N. Bellic Man
  • The N. Bellic Man

Crazy Idiot

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

This is about teenage gangs in 60's New York, and the trials and tribulations they face. A coming of age story with drama, humour, and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth a watch.

I tried to get this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. It seems that it's been re-released, so I might have to get it now. Thanks you for reminding me of this film.

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

I tried to get this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. It seems that it's been re-released, so I might have to get it now. Thanks you for reminding me of this film.
It's a good movie. Hope you can source a copy.

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

Not exactly a classic but it's quite unknown and it is a fantastic film.

MV5BMTk4ODk5MTMyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMy

• Mister Pink and Leftist Bastard like this

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Thursday is one of my favorites. Came out during the time when everyone wanted to jump on the Tarantino/Pulp Fiction popularity. Even I had no idea it existed til earlier this year, but its really good if you dig the genre.

dq3IDbzUPjS6a46eFdPSzG82tZv.jpg

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Mexico

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

These gals know how to kick some ass.

ta2qqdW.jpg

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Kids See Ghost

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:33 PM Edited by Mr_Rager, 01 January 2018 - 11:37 PM.

Spoiler

It's not an obscure movie or anything, but Collateral is one of Michael Mann's best films, Tom Cruise is such an asshole in this movie. Don't see it brought up much anywhere lol.
  • Zello likes this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:37 AM Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive, 02 January 2018 - 01:38 AM.

It's a really obscure film here in the US, mainly because it never got an official dub, but I consider Arashi no Yoru Ni (Japanese for "One Stormy Night") to be a classic. It's an animated children's film based on a book series with a really important virtue of overcoming stereotypes and having value in friendships. It's about a goat, Mei, and a wolf, Gabu, who stumble into a barn "one stomy night" and can't see each other, and they find out they have a lot in common. They agree to meet the next day outside the barn in the daylight, and although they're surprised at first to see what species the other is, they become fast friends, even though Gabu is tempted a few times to eat Mei. Eventually, their tribes find out about the friendship and try to force them to trap each other, they run away together to find a land where there friendship wouldn't be frowned upon. It's a really touching story and stands alongside a lot of Disney films as a classic for me.

230px-Arashi_no_Yoru_Ni.jpg

• Ivan1997GTA and Neon_Dreaming like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

I haven't seen The Wanderers, looks great!

Underrated or lesser-known classics for me... 

Dead Man's Shoes

This is a horror revenge film shot in about 2 weeks staring Paddy Consedine and written by acclaimed writer/director Shane Meadows who also wrote This Is England film and TV series. It's got all those great elements of a realism film, using mostly unknown actors, shot on location and principle photography being shot very quickly. It's a film set in the midlands in England and it might not be cater to larger US audience but it does really resonate with film heads a lot due to the realism style, peppered with dark humour mixed with violence and genuinely sad and touching moments. It was put out on the Warp label which is mostly a music label (Aphex Twin being on of their flagship artists) but they have a film division and Warp usually put out very original content. It also has one of most compelling performances from Paddy Consedine and has one of the best "f*ck off" scenes in cinema. 

Here's a non-spoilery clip.. just shows the power of Consedine's acting even when he isn't saying much at all... Highly recommended viewing. 

image.jpg

• Halal Cyborg and Neon_Dreaming like this

Night Machine
  • Night Machine

1980's Time Traveler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:50 PM Edited by Night Machine, 17 January 2018 - 02:51 PM.

Scavenger Hunt (1979) is one of the greatest relatively unknown comedies ever made.  It features an all star cast and cameos from many other famous people. Definitely worth a watch and rewatch for classic or modern comedy fans.  

• Ivan1997GTA and Mr_Rager like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Kids See Ghost

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:56 PM Edited by Mr_Rager, 17 January 2018 - 03:00 PM.

Scavenger Hunt (1979) is one of the greatest relatively unknown comedies ever made.  It features an all star cast and cameos from many other famous people. Definitely worth a watch and rewatch for classic or modern comedy fans.

Spoiler

The Van is some essential 70s comfy kino
  • Ivan1997GTA and Night Machine like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

Great cast in this Irish film with Colin Farrell, Colm Meaney, Cillian Murphy and Michael McElhatton who plays Roose Bolton from Game of Thrones. Also has Scotish actresses Kelly McDonald and Shirly Henderson. 

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

62f5047a-aea8-4628-8579-37a7c6879d4d.jpg

pedophilia aside 

• Mister Pink likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:34 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 29 January 2018 - 10:35 AM.

MV5BMTYwMTQ3MTU0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU5

Im not sure if this really classified as a classic being that it was released in 2013, but its a movie I dont see many people talk about at all. Considering the star studded cast Im surprised it doesnt.

Ive seen it a number times and it gets better with every watch. Its basically Pulp Fiction with red necks. Brilliant stuff.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:03 AM Edited by Mister Pink, 05 February 2018 - 03:04 AM.

Sexy Beast (2000)

gallery-1461678361-sexy-beast-original.j

Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone give two of their best performances. It's got an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes but it's often overlooked. 

• Halal Cyborg, Neon_Dreaming and ARTHUR. like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Sexy Beast (2000)

gallery-1461678361-sexy-beast-original.j

Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone give two of their best performances. It's got an 86% rating on Rotten Tomatoes but it's often overlooked. 

Good choice, saw it for the second time recently. It's a great watch. Kingsley is chilling as a wound up psycho.
Spoiler
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

Oh sh*t. I completely forgot about that. You know, I'm due a re-watch myself!

Halal Cyborg
  • Halal Cyborg

Junglist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

The limey and Dark City
  • Bartleby and Mister Pink like this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:16 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 07 February 2018 - 10:19 PM.

Animal Kingdom is a great choice. 

Another great Aussie flick is Snowtown although it's a bit grim but really f*cking good. Remember seeing Animal Kingdom and Snowtown in the same week. Aussies make some good films, most recently I watched Hounds of Love. Aussies like making films about f*cked up people! :p

But yeah.. I second Animal Kingdom, if none of you have watched it, go do it. Ben Mendelsohn is one of best actors around these days.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:26 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 08 February 2018 - 12:34 AM.

Aussies like making films about f*cked up people! :p

Yes. Yes we do. :cool:

Speaking of which since our tastes in movies are so much a like dude I think you'd get a kick out this Aussie flick that you may not have heard of/seen before..

Should be up your alley. :)

Also this is worth watching..

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:40 AM

Animal Kingdom is a great choice. 

Another great Aussie flick is Snowtown although it's a bit grim but really f*cking good. Remember seeing Animal Kingdom and Snowtown in the same week. Aussies make some good films, most recently I watched Hounds of Love. Aussies like making films about f*cked up people! :p

But yeah.. I second Animal Kingdom, if none of you have watched it, go do it. Ben Mendelsohn is one of best actors around these days.

I really liked him in Killing Them Softly and speaking of which, that movie definitely qualifies.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Canada

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:00 AM Edited by D9fred95, 09 February 2018 - 04:04 AM.

Highway to Hell

The main character and his girlfriend are going to Las Vegas to get married and she gets kidnapped by the Hellcop, who kinda looks like if Freddy Kruger joined the LAPD, so Satan could have a bride. So the guy needs to use a special car so he can travel to Hell to save her. Hell is depicted as a desert wasteland where everyone's a dickhead and drives VW Beetles. Think Mad Max but with more demons.

It's hard to find though, probably due to it sharing it's name with the AC/DC's album.

• Algonquin Assassin and Neon_Dreaming like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

That's a pretty weird and disgusting idea big guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

They Live. It's not super obscure, but as far as John Carpenter films go I feel like it's underappreciated. It's just one of the most fun campy action films I've seen. 

This fight scene in particular is f*cking hilarious:

• Mister Pink and TheFoxRiverFugitive like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpink 2018

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:47 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 12 February 2018 - 04:49 PM.

In Bruges

I wouldn't say this is lesser known.. well, perhaps a little bit. But I think it fits the criteria of being a classic. It was received well by critics and audiences alike, it's garnered a sort of cult status too. It's a genius tragic-comedy about a two hitmen, hiding out in Bruges, Belgium. Written by none other than Martin McDonagh (6 Shooter, Three Billboards). Each watching this film just gets better and better for me. 

• Algonquin Assassin, Halal Cyborg and Neon_Dreaming like this

Bartleby
  • Bartleby

Current Mentos Freshness: 65%

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

The limey and Dark City

Dark City is a masterpiece, and definitely in my top ten all-time. I first watched that film at work on a slow night about ten years ago, knowing NOTHING about it going in. Holy sh*t, what an experience. It's great for multiple viewings too, since it's not the kind of film to hold your hand throughout the whole thing, it leaves you to keep up as the story evolves. Really well-paced, aesthetically brilliant, and perfectly-executed film, in my opinion. For those who want to see it, do yourself a favor and do no research about it at all. Just watch it.

• Halal Cyborg likes this

Halal Cyborg
  • Halal Cyborg

Junglist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

The limey and Dark City

Dark City is a masterpiece, and definitely in my top ten all-time. I first watched that film at work on a slow night about ten years ago, knowing NOTHING about it going in. Holy sh*t, what an experience. It's great for multiple viewings too, since it's not the kind of film to hold your hand throughout the whole thing, it leaves you to keep up as the story evolves. Really well-paced, aesthetically brilliant, and perfectly-executed film, in my opinion. For those who want to see it, do yourself a favor and do no research about it at all. Just watch it.

The new version is better given it got shot of the voiceover which strangely was the super cool sample as used by distance and dkay.

• Bartleby likes this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Vice Squad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Watched this classic a couple day's ago , a really good movie & based on a true story.

220px-At_close_range_poster.jpg

Darth Yokel
  • Darth Yokel

A Sith now, aparently.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Darth Yokel, 5 days ago.

To Live and Die in L.A. is the definition of a lesser known classic. It's most definitely considered a classic, but it's remarkable how many people don't seem to have seen it or remember it.

True Romance is in a similar situation, at least in my neck of the woods. It's definitely a cult classic but I thought that it was more famous than it apparently is, considering the cast and the fact that it was written by Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott. Yet every time I try to talk to people about it, it turns out that they've never seen it.

• Ivan1997GTA and jaljax like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users