Photo

Lesser Known Classics

11 replies to this topic
Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

This is a thread to talk about good movies which you think are unappreciated and relatively unknown.

My pick is The Wanderers.

This is about teenage gangs in 60's New York, and the trials and tribulations they face. A coming of age story with drama, humour, and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth a watch.

Rubber is my second choice. A surreal adventure about a sentient tyre on a quest for love, who can also use psychic powers to explode those in his way.

• Mister Pink, The N. Bellic Man and Ivan1997GTA like this

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria
  • Best New Member 2017

Posted 3 weeks ago

hobo with a shotgun isn't a classic but its 2 hours of roy batty going batty so like i'm down

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

The N. Bellic Man
  • The N. Bellic Man

Crazy Idiot

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

This is about teenage gangs in 60's New York, and the trials and tribulations they face. A coming of age story with drama, humour, and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth a watch.

I tried to get this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. It seems that it's been re-released, so I might have to get it now. Thanks you for reminding me of this film.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I tried to get this a few years ago. Couldn't find it. It seems that it's been re-released, so I might have to get it now. Thanks you for reminding me of this film.
It's a good movie. Hope you can source a copy.

UshaB
  • UshaB

Nacho Libre - "I wanna weeeeeen!"

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Not exactly a classic but it's quite unknown and it is a fantastic film.

MV5BMTk4ODk5MTMyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMy

• Leftist Bastard likes this

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Thursday is one of my favorites. Came out during the time when everyone wanted to jump on the Tarantino/Pulp Fiction popularity. Even I had no idea it existed til earlier this year, but its really good if you dig the genre.

dq3IDbzUPjS6a46eFdPSzG82tZv.jpg

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 3 weeks ago

These gals know how to kick some ass.

ta2qqdW.jpg

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Memento Mori

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mr_Rager, 3 weeks ago.

Spoiler

It's not an obscure movie or anything, but Collateral is one of Michael Mann's best films, Tom Cruise is such an asshole in this movie. Don't see it brought up much anywhere lol.
  • Zello likes this

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by TheFoxRiverFugitive, 3 weeks ago.

It's a really obscure film here in the US, mainly because it never got an official dub, but I consider Arashi no Yoru Ni (Japanese for "One Stormy Night") to be a classic. It's an animated children's film based on a book series with a really important virtue of overcoming stereotypes and having value in friendships. It's about a goat, Mei, and a wolf, Gabu, who stumble into a barn "one stomy night" and can't see each other, and they find out they have a lot in common. They agree to meet the next day outside the barn in the daylight, and although they're surprised at first to see what species the other is, they become fast friends, even though Gabu is tempted a few times to eat Mei. Eventually, their tribes find out about the friendship and try to force them to trap each other, they run away together to find a land where there friendship wouldn't be frowned upon. It's a really touching story and stands alongside a lot of Disney films as a classic for me.

230px-Arashi_no_Yoru_Ni.jpg

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Siamese Dream

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

I haven't seen The Wanderers, looks great!

Underrated or lesser-known classics for me... 

Dead Man's Shoes

This is a horror revenge film shot in about 2 weeks staring Paddy Consedine and written by acclaimed writer/director Shane Meadows who also wrote This Is England film and TV series. It's got all those great elements of a realism film, using mostly unknown actors, shot on location and principle photography being shot very quickly. It's a film set in the midlands in England and it might not be cater to larger US audience but it does really resonate with film heads a lot due to the realism style, peppered with dark humour mixed with violence and genuinely sad and touching moments. It was put out on the Warp label which is mostly a music label (Aphex Twin being on of their flagship artists) but they have a film division and Warp usually put out very original content. It also has one of most compelling performances from Paddy Consedine and has one of the best "f*ck off" scenes in cinema. 

Here's a non-spoilery clip.. just shows the power of Consedine's acting even when he isn't saying much at all... Highly recommended viewing. 

image.jpg

Night Machine
  • Night Machine

1980's Time Traveler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Night Machine, 5 days ago.

Scavenger Hunt (1979) is one of the greatest relatively unknown comedies ever made.  It features an all star cast and cameos from many other famous people. Definitely worth a watch and rewatch for classic or modern comedy fans.  

• Mr_Rager likes this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Memento Mori

• Members
  • None

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Mr_Rager, 5 days ago.

Scavenger Hunt (1979) is one of the greatest relatively unknown comedies ever made.  It features an all star cast and cameos from many other famous people. Definitely worth a watch and rewatch for classic or modern comedy fans.

Spoiler

The Van is some essential 70s comfy kino
  • Night Machine likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users