Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 2 weeks ago

A simple topic, what methods do you have for finding new artists that you'll enjoy listening to?

Thought it was worth making this topic since I have quite a few, but it's nice to have more...Here's what I have so far:

-Spotify's discover weekly; I've never used spotify, but this is probably what I've heard about the most.
-Radio stations; ignore the larger ones and you have a DJ curating everything. Ain't that nice.
-Playlists; made by other people, another method of curation but with wildly varying levels of quality.
-Generated playlists; more in the vein of those "mix" playlists you see on youtube, usually good for similar sounding stuff.
-Compilation albums; fan made, maybe a label release.
-Music Labels; indie labels are great for hosting similar styled artists - check what the label of an artist you like is posting/promoting.
-Soundtracks; movies, TV, video games, usually they have a homogeneous theme and are often chosen by a single music supervisor, so if an artist has a song on a soundtrack there's a good chance the others will suit your tastes as well.
-Whatever songs pop up in the sidebar of youtube/soundcloud/bandcamp/whatever. I like this since it's a lot more anarchic in jumping genres.
-Comments (e.g. youtube); if there isn't already a chain responding to a "what other artists are like this" post, then start yer own.
-Forums; plenty of artists have dedicated (if small) fan forums, and without fail there's at least one thread asking for recommendations.
-Music discovery websites - everynoise, music map is all I got right now. Hit and miss in my experience.
-Review websites - check what sites review music you like, check which reviewers seem to have the same taste as you, and dive into their recommendations.
-Charts; I mean...no? No, not really. It technically counts, so I'll throw it up here, but no.

And outside the internet...
-Supporting acts for That Band You Like are often your cup of tea. Even if you're not going, it's worth checking out who the supporting acts are.
-Attend shows and see what local/smaller band surprises you.

Most of these (sans review websites) are pretty pants at getting you into completely different genres and the like, so...hit me.
  • Mister Pink likes this

anubis.
  • anubis.

nihil timendum est

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Warlord., A week ago.

First off, let me just say that Spotify is f*cking incredible and is one of those all time great innovations. I was skeptical until I tried it, but it's legit the best service for streaming music. Very reasonably priced too. f*ck iTunes, Google Music and all that sh*t.

My favourite way to discover new artists is to pretty much play the Song Radio of a song I really dig at the time. I usually end up finding atleast a couple tracks I really enjoy that way. Spotify's great for this.

• Mister Pink and RedDagger like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

TV has been a great source for me over the years, if I hear a track that I dig I will find out what it is and usually grab or at least check out other songs/albums from the artist. Beyond that a couple of Youtube channels, now and then I'll check out comments and threads on music related forums or places like reddit, Spotify sometimes but rarely these days.

I tend to go through bursts of finding new music, creating playlists of new stuff I've grabbed and listening to that till I get bored then go searching again.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

My bike is harmed, you will be harmed

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by B Dawg, 2 weeks ago.

- Youtube Channels

- Facebook (Pages dedicates to certain types of music, local music promoters/organizers - live shows nearby)

- Bandcamp

- Soundcloud

Craig
  • Craig

Shoeless Thorns

• Marshall-Islands
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 2 weeks ago

I like to use Discogs occasionally for that. Usually I'll find a release I like on there and they more often than not have some recommended projects, sometimes from the same artist but also from label mates. It isn't the most reliable way but it can be good for EPs or singles that have a specific sound and you really want something similar. YouTube is also good for that. I will agree that most of the time, their recommended video algorithm can be a little off the mark but I've found some genuinely good artists that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users