GTA Vice City and K-Lite Codec Pack

3 replies to this topic
kj79
  • kj79

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

I have installed GTA Vice City and I was first wondering, why it always crashed after skipping intro movies.

I tried different things, but finally tracked the problem down to K-Lite Codec Pack.

I have made sure that I use "Microsoft"-codec for MPEG-PS, the format used by GTA Vice City intro movies. Using "LAV" will also crash. Using "Haali" won't crash, but videos become invisible.

Has anyone found a solution to prevent GTA Vice City crashes when using K-Lite Codec Pack? (It's the newest version v13.7.5 (Mega).) Without codec pack, GTA VC works fine.

My temporary solution is to move both movies away from .\movies -folder. Hitting ENTER twice will start the game.

This problem is not a big one, but I'm curious. One possibility is to install all the needed codecs separately, but of course it will take more work.

Thanks.

ReyZie93
  • ReyZie93

Cookies everywhere...

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Same problem with GTA 3 & VC.

Windows XP Pro x64.

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Same problem with GTA 3 & VC.

Windows XP Pro x64.

Just an advice, upgrade your OS at least to Windows 7.

kj79
  • kj79

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by kj79, 4 weeks ago.

It took me a while to figure this one out. When I browsed around the Net, many people have had crashes after playing intro or ingame movies. My guess is that it's a common problem with games that use MPEG-PS-format for movies. I tried two different things:

1. Installing K-Lite Codec Pack differently

I did it many times, and in the end found a solution that was something completely unexpectable. Here's what you will need to do:

- Install K-Lite Codec Pack by using "Advanced" Installation Mode.

- Remove "DirectVorSub (a.k.a. VSFilter)" on "Select Components"-screen.

Note: This may prevent setting your player to read external subtitle-files and add them to playing movies. So, make sure that you don't absolutely need this feature before using this solution.

But there's another workaround for this issue:

- Install K-Lite Codec Pack by using "Advanced" Installation Mode.

- Select "Install codecs only for MPC-HC" on "Installation Preferences"-screen.

Use the solution from above if you don't need other codecs like LAV Filters with any other media players than MPC-HC.

(Tip for the users of LAV Filters. If some games have too small movies, just disable "mpeg1"-format from LAV Filetrs configuration. This may not be a problem for the players of the GTA-series.)

That fixed the crashes and also random crashes that occured after playing CD:s with Windows Media Player.

This is something you should try whether your operating system is Windows XP, Vista, 7 or newer.

2. Installing LAV Filters and MPC-HC separately

Use this method only if you don't need a full codec pack. This method fixes the crashes, too.

But there may be a side effect that may affect all the people who use their PC:s for Blu-ray playback with Autoplay-feature.

When installing MPC-HC along K-Lite Codec Pack, Blu-ray discs are correctly detected as Mixed Content -discs. But, when installing MPC-HC as standalone application, Blu-ray discs may be falsely detected as discs containing pictures.

Here's a quick and dirty way to fix it:

Save the following contents as *.reg file and then, apply it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\ShowPicturesOnArrival]
"MPCPlayVideoFilesOnArrival"=""

(Uninstall by removing the line from the Windows Registry manually.)

You will also need to make sure that you have allowed automatic playback for discs containing "Videos" in MPC-HC's "Settings > Player > Formats".

Now you can choose MPC-HC to launch your Blu-ray discs when Autoplay has scanned the disc and prompts an action from you.

Note: If you own picture discs, don't allow computer to select MPC-HC automatically after the scan is complete.

There should be a more sophisticated method to fix this issue. I don't understand why Windows Autoplay sniffs the disc contents differently when MPC-HC is installed along K-Lite Codec Pack, or as a standalone application.

K-Lite Codec Pack won't touch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\ContentTypeSniffers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users