Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are mk2 weapon upgrades really worth it.

11 replies to this topic
koopdogg
  • koopdogg

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Ive been grinding I/E and fast tracking research trying to unlock mk2 weapon upgrades (heavy barrel, explosive rounds.) and havent unlocked any of them.

Should i keep dumping money into this or are those upgrades not really worth it?

(I guess it would be important to add that I dont do much serious pvp only shooting my friends or attackers. I spend my time in heists, contact missions and participating in free roam events.)
Additional questions:
-Will i be at a noticeable disadvantage without the upgrades?

-Are there upgrades that are much more of an improvement than others?

Thanks for the help.

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

For PvE, I'd say no, none the mk.II stuff is essential. They are generally better guns but against NPCs, you don't really need more than the basic versions to get the job done. Some of the special ammo can be useful against the buffed up NPCs in Doomsday heist missions but I've had no real trouble handling them with just regular bullets.

When it comes to free roam/PvP, any edge you can get is nice to have but again I wouldn't say its an upgrade-or-die situation. Certain things like hollow point rounds in mk.II revolver, explosive slugs at close range or explosive sniper rounds against aircraft can be game changers (especially explosive sniper) but with the incremental performance upgrades you get from the new parts, the difference doesn't really show if you don't PvP often. A good player with a stock weapon can still take on somebody with the fully upgraded mk.II version of the same gun and have a fair chance.

MC.
  • MC.

LS Menace

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by MC., 2 weeks ago.

the explosive rounds on the heavy sniper with thermal scope are definitely worth it. ive used this to take down jet griefers, incoming enemy AI cars and other aircrafts from a distance. cars blow up in 1 shot and aircrafts blow up in 2 shots. as for players attacking you, they take 2 shots to kill them if theyre on foot or in car/aircraft. they used to take 1 shot to kill them but it got patched to 2 recently. the thermal scope is very useful as well to scope out enemies taking cover behind objects who may not appear on radar. very useful in the doomsday act iii finale too.

other mk ii weapons you may consider worth being are the combat mg with the hollow rounds or full metal jacket mag and the carbine. i just use the extended clip mag for the carbine cause its an improvement over the original and i have no use for the other mags on this rifle since the rounds limit is 20.

theres other mk ii weapons that i dont think you have to unlock via research which was added in the latest update. ones worth mentioning are the special carbine mk ii, heavy revolver mk ii, marksman rifle mk ii (sick weapon without the zoom in scope) and the pump shotgun mk ii.

the upgrades on all these weapons are most definitely an improvement. you may be at a disadvantage if someone does indeed attack you, seeing as they most likely have those weapons.
  • Mistermilan07 likes this

whywontyoulisten
  • whywontyoulisten

Adapt or die

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago

http://gtaforums.com...ch-item-choice/

DangerWorldWide
  • DangerWorldWide

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Pistol - No

SMG - No

Assault Rifle - No

Carbine Rifle - No

Combat MG - Yes (If you use the Combat MG/play with Aim Assist)

Heavy Sniper - Yes

SNS Pistol - No

Heavy Revolver - Yes (If you intent to use Hollow Point special ammunition)

Special Carbine - Yes

Bullpup Rifle - No

Pump Shotgun - Yes (If you intent to use Explosive Slug special ammunition)

Marksman Rifle - Yes

BLACK DYNAM1TE
  • BLACK DYNAM1TE

GRAND THEFT DONALD

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

No. I haven't upgraded anything since released and been doing fine as I normally do. When they were first introduced you did see a lot of the mk use in freemode lobby, but its died since then. The limited and expensive ammo that can only be refilled on the MOC/Avenger may be one of the reasons.

Explosive Rounds were nerfed with The Doomsday Heist update and now don't kill on first impact. Takes 2-3 shots now.

The day I was going to finally upgrade my Heavy Sniper to mk-II they released the Thermal Helmet which was the main point of me upgrading the Sniper. And that's all you really need his the Heavy Sniper and Thermal Helmet to get it done. 

• AboveAndBeyoncé likes this

AboveAndBeyoncé
  • AboveAndBeyoncé

Yonce Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

No. I haven't upgraded anything since released and been doing fine as I normally do. When they were first introduced you did see a lot of the mk use in freemode lobby, but its died since then. The limited and expensive ammo that can only be refilled on the MOC/Avenger may be one of the reasons.

Explosive Rounds were nerfed with The Doomsday Heist update and now don't kill on first impact. Takes 2-3 shots now.

The day I was going to finally upgrade my Heavy Sniper to mk-II they released the Thermal Helmet which was the main point of me upgrading the Sniper. And that's all you really need his the Heavy Sniper and Thermal Helmet to get it done. 

quick off topic question where can I get the thermal helmet, from the clothing store or the Vespucci mask shop?

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Clothes store

Phmiller714
  • Phmiller714

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Obviously

J-Scott-D
  • J-Scott-D

J-Scott-D and Lezly-D on PSN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I'm 100% PVE and I don't think it's worth it if you only use regular ammo. In my opinion, my MK2 Carbine Rifle and MK2 Combat MG actually seem worse when using regular ammo.

les999
  • les999

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 days ago

Heavy sniper Mk2 is a big improvement. The problem is that the original heavy sniper is no longer available once you upgrade and the mk2 requires a trip to your bunker to buy ammo after you use its capacity of 40 (?) bullets.

ronbonjovi
  • ronbonjovi

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

I upgraded the marksman rifle to be able to use the holographic sight for CQB. Pretty effective and fun to switch up to the single shot rifle. I have the carbine and the combat MG upgraded as well. I however did not spend any money on research and don't think it is worth it just for the weapon upgrades.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users