If you could pick only one protagonist, which one would it be

22 replies to this topic
JimDixon
  • JimDixon

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I really liked Michael. His character and his story in the game. For sure if I had to choose only one Protagonist for the game, it be him. Then again I really find Trevor entertaining, and characters like that catch my eye as well.

silly_nate
  • silly_nate

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm having a tough time deciding between Michael and Trevor. Despite both being maniacs, they live different lifestyles. Really brings in a duality of criminals deal.
With Franklin, there were a lot of times that I felt like R* was paying homage to GTA SA or trying to make SA2 so I could easily take him out. :p

Cheatz/Trickz
  • Cheatz/Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

Michael; it's blatantly obvious that he is the main, main character and the story is about him. I think V would've benefited overall by being more focused if he was the only protagonist.
  • gunziness likes this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Michael, because Trevor felt like too much of a try-hard crazy character and Franklin was boring (let's face it, even most of his character switch cutscenes were uninteresting, it's like he just sits around his house doing menial things all day).

Michael; it's blatantly obvious that he is the main, main character and the story is about him. I think V would've benefited overall by being more focused if he was the only protagonist.

I think V's story especially would have benefited if there was just one protagonist. I get they were trying to do something new, but it hurt the story when they had 3 guys to focus on at the same time and less missions than the last two major games in the series.

• Cheatz/Trickz likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 3 weeks ago.

If you could pick only one protagonist, which one would it be?

This is actually a GREAT question, and one I have thought of lately.

The truth is that all three protagonists are so well done, have great back stories, are written and scripted so well, and are voice acted incredibly, that its a really tough choice to pick one. If I absolutely have to pick just one of the three, however, I think I have to give the edge to Trevor. The thing I love most about the three protagonists, and what made it such a hard choice, is the way Rockstar really thought out and implemented the stark contrast between the three. You have Michael, a family man, and a true sociopath with some narcissistic tendencies. Like most sociopaths, he is charming, charismatic, and knows what to say to get people on his side and win people to his way of thinking. Trevor is a batsh*t crazy psychopath who has an insane yet very deeply embedded moral code. Most people don't know the difference between a psychopath and sociopath, but Rockstar really nailed both personality types incredibly well.

Then you have Franklin, who is wet behind the ears, and strangely naive for a criminal thug from the ghetto. I almost chose him because of the three, he has the most sentiment in that he genuinely cares about the well being of the people around him, and even if he has to be dragged into doing the right thing, he always seems to find his way there. Unlike Michael, Franklin is loyal and, of the three, the only one I think might actually be "a good guy" underneath all the thuggery. It is absolutely the juxtaposition of the three protagonists that is one of the things that makes V's story so incredibly well done and riveting.

But, yeah, I have to give it to Trevor as the best of the three. Plus Trevor really endeared himself to my heart after I completed Mr Phillips for the first time!

• confederatestatesgta likes this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

GTA V: Huge improvement over snore (GTA IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Trevor Philips, the story would be more twisted and engaging, seeing both Michael and Brad killed, escaping the police and settling down in Sandy Shores, living a normal live then seeing your best friend on the TV, tracking him down and reuniting with him, then find out the truth about your bestfriend betrayal

Would be a twisted and engaging story

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Franklin is the main protagonist for me while Michael is the main antagonist.

He is a liar and hypocrite who sold his bestfriends to feds.

Trevor is secondary protagonist who supposed to die in north yankton but survived, to show you what kind of a dick Michael is.

Spoiler

Cheatz/Trickz
  • Cheatz/Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Cheatz/Trickz, 3 weeks ago.

Michael, because Trevor felt like too much of a try-hard crazy character and Franklin was boring (let's face it, even most of his character switch cutscenes were uninteresting, it's like he just sits around his house doing menial things all day).

I think V's story especially would have benefited if there was just one protagonist. I get they were trying to do something new, but it hurt the story when they had 3 guys to focus on at the same time and less missions than the last two major games in the series.

Agree with this. I like Trevor but I do wish he was less of a caricature and was instead more grounded, still crazy but in a genuinely messed up, dark kind of way. I also didn't like how he let Haines talk to him like sh*t and he did nothing about it, Trevor should've just killed him on sight and really flipped the script, that's how you make things interesting, not having him obediently do what he's told like a good little Trevor.

Dividing less missions between three protagonists makes it impossible to achieve the level of depth that past protagonists have. The story is shorter; it's simple math. This goes for the antagonists as well, it doesn't have that protagonist vs antagonist rivalry building up over the course of the story like you have with all previous GTA's.
  • Hmmm nice bike, SchizNitz, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 2 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 3 weeks ago.

Franklin is the main protagonist for me while Michael is the main antagonist.

He is a liar and hypocrite who sold his bestfriends to feds.

Trevor is secondary protagonist who supposed to die in north yankton but survived, to show you what kind of a dick Michael is.

Spoiler

As much as I like Michael, and I really do like Michael, I totally get this position. Oh and given than Franklin is the only one assured to survive, AND is the only one given the actual choice over who lives and dies, I think a case absolutely can be made that he is the main protagonist. Also, everything seems to happen around Franklin even when he is not directly involved. He is the NEW guy, the starry eyed young man who is poised to take over the reins.

If I were less invested in Michael's story and backstory, his ongoing relationship with his family that evolves to be a little less dysfunctional, and didn't enjoy playing as him so much, I might have chosen Option B, like you did. While I definitely don't see Michael as an antagonist in V, I cant say that he is too far away from being one, at least in some sense.

I think this is one of the things that makes V's story so awesome. You can really sink your teeth into the characters, and actually find yourself being angry and hostile toward one or more of them, like how you feel about Michael getting what he deserves because karma is a bitch! Its good when a story elicits such strong emotional responses as well as controversy that fuels such intense discussions and lively debate.

• Yinepi, Galehaut, CGFforLife and 1 other like this

Hmmm nice bike
  • Hmmm nice bike

No, my bike!

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Agree with this. I like Trevor but I do wish he was less of a caricature and was instead more grounded, still crazy but in a genuinely messed up, dark kind of way. I also didn't like how he let Haines talk to him like sh*t and he did nothing about it, Trevor should've just killed him on sight and really flipped the script, that's how you make things interesting, not having him obediently do what he's told like a good little Trevor.

Dividing less missions between three protagonists makes it impossible to achieve the level of depth that past protagonists have. The story is shorter; it's simple math. This goes for the antagonists as well, it doesn't have that protagonist vs antagonist rivalry building up over the course of the story like you have with all previous GTA's.

Stephen Ogg's acting for Trevor was awesome, too. But while there were some dark moments to the character (mainly the part where his mom returns), half the time he still felt too much like a cartoon representation of Hunter S. Thompson and the cast of Jackass rolled into one. I get the point that Trevor was supposed to be a nut, but he could have had more depth to his story.

You're right about antagonists, too, the rivalries didn't feel the same compared to previous GTAs, and I forgot about those guys you're suddenly sent to kill at the end besides Steve Haines. They were the antagonists for Franklin and Trevor, but they were only in like 2 missions each and then we never heard from them again.

• Cheatz/Trickz and eCola like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Official General, 3 weeks ago.

I don't like any of them.

But if I had to choose one, it would be Franklin only because he has more of an incentive and reason to still be committing crimes for money. Michael is rich already, and I found all that family guy stuff boring after a a short while. Trevor ?  I won't explain why, just no. 

• Algonquin Assassin and anthony like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 3 weeks ago.

If I had to play the entire game as Trevor I probably wouldn't even finish it. I can only tolerate him in small doses. Michael has the best developed personality, but gameplay wise he's pretty boring to use without many side missions available to him.

So I'd go with Franklin. He has the best amount of customisation and fits the mould of "rags to riches". As a solo protagonist I don't feel he'd be as bland personality wise because he wouldn't be pushed into the background.
  • gunziness, Official General, anthony and 3 others like this

LucastLotus
  • LucastLotus

Niko the cabbage farmer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I would have to say Trevor because it funny every time I load GTA to come to over the toilet or in a police chase also he is wild just like my play style!

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Michael or Trevor.

Franklin is too bland, and we've already had a gangster character... from the Families too, it'd be more interesting playing a Ballas or Vagos

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Michael because then he might have been more like Neil Mcaulrey or Tony Soprano and who knows who the antagonist would have been maybe Trevor? Franklin would still be his student but the game would focus more on that.

HeySlickThatsMe
  • HeySlickThatsMe

"Don't feed the troll"

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by HeySlickThatsMe, 2 weeks ago.

Michael , he even was the original protagonist afterall , created before F and T

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago

Despite the fact that I prefer Michael over Franklin in terms of character development and actual personality I got to go with the latter one. Franklin despite being worse version of CJ, fits more into the role of the game protagonist than Michael who works more like a supporting character.

Franklin also has more side missions, even if these are a bit boring (e.g., Towing and Taxi Fares) and a better business perks (free LSC modifications).

• Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

garou the badass hero hunter from one punch man.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

i have to go with trevor. i know a lot of people hated him and for multiple reasons. but he is just so funny and badass. and i feel like he deserved more screen time before we actually play as him. like why trevor and the lost are in a rivalry. more screen time for ron wade and chef. and just more missions out in the desert and countryside. i feel like there was still plenty of stuff they could have done with him. the other two protagonists are good. but i would love to play a full game with just trevor.

• BurnettVice likes this

Blight77
  • Blight77

Player Hater

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted A week ago

From the story point of view, Michael is definitely the most important and the "main" main character in GTA V, given that practically almost everything that happened during the GTA V storyline revolve around him.. If either Franklin or Trevor become the sole protagonist, i think they have to change most of it's storyline (except if they still keep him as a supporting cast which for me become a bit ridiculous, given how important and relevant Mike is toward GTA V story) Michael is also my personal favorite GTA protagonist which means that i would definitely love to play him more than any other character in the series even as a sole main protagonist

However, from the free roaming and overall enjoyment point of view, then Trevor definitely has an advantage, given not only he's the ones with 2 safehouses available, he also has the most properties, given that he also possessed 2 airport and the most vehicle storage compare to any other character (with 8 cars, 1 boat, 2 planes, and 1 helicopter), not to mention his hunting and arm-trafficking side activities are among the best if not outright the best in the series.. As a character, i also love Trevor's crazy attitude which made the gameplay much more hilarious and on-character during the free roaming..

As for Franklin, while i do like him as a character, he is however the most "boring" ones compare to the other 2 in my opinion, so i guess keeping him as a sole protagonist would be a bit lackluster with the exception that they intend to explore more of his gangster live before the story begin (like his first bank robbery or the ones when he works with a drug dealer that we killed) although probably from that point of view GTA V won't be the same as we see today

So yeah, all in all, in the end enjoyment and free roaming is the ones that made GTA V excellent and entertaining games for me, so i guess with those reasoning, Trevor would be my pick if i have to choose one protagonist during the series, given how much fun and various activities that i can explore while playing him in the free roaming..

Jesucristo
  • Jesucristo

☠ Soldier ☠

• Members
  • Spain

Posted A week ago

I decided Michael as you. He's the main character of the game because is the nexus between Franklin and Trevor. However, I miss a Hispanic character in GTA V. Specially Mexican or Central American to play to be a gang member of the Vagos, Aztecas or Marabunta. That would had been cool.

Markhosdangerous
  • Markhosdangerous

Markos Dangerous

• Members
  • Spain

Posted A week ago

Michael. Is the first protagonist that the Housers thought about and its the one who we got deeper in the storyline (if you look carefully he is more like the center of all the events... all the robberies/FIB and more started when He discovered his wife cheating on him)

NumberNineLarge
  • NumberNineLarge

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago Edited by NumberNineLarge, 3 days ago.

Trevor is my favorite, but I think Franklin and Michael fit the GTA narrative more.

I'd probably choose Michael because I think he fits in most with the formula, but I'll always prefer Trevor personally.

You don't mess with Michael. He'll go to great lengths if you do.

He has what should be an idyllic life - The mansion, money, a family. Yet he feels empty.

He's a retired bank robber, a new wrinkle in the game among protagonists.

Michael De Santa is GTA, if you ask me.

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Sleepwalking, 4 days ago.

I read from somewhere that characters actually represent game progress.

Franklin represents beginning of a GTA game. (You are poor and sh*t, you want to become a successful criminal)

Trevor represents what you do during playing story. (All these f*cking crazy stuff)

Michael represents what you become after you beat story (you lay low & left nothing to do)

I choose Trevor, I played mostly with him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users