Quantcast

» «
Photo

Were the assassination missions intended to be used for the stock market?

16 replies to this topic
LucidLocomotive
  • LucidLocomotive

Gouranga!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

If so, then how would that work? Because once you start the mission and figure out which stocks/companies are involved, you cant switch characters to invest as all three, and can you even invest as Franklin while currently in the mission? So the only way to know beforehand is to use a guide or start the mission and figure out which companies to invest in, and then quit it so you can invest as all three characters, but that doesn't seem like they made it like that on purpose because it kind of messes up the flow. But as far as I know, there's no other way to buy the golf course. 

So how did rockstar intend us to use the stock market without using guides or starting and then quitting missions? How are we supposed to know what we should buy or sell from the point in the beginning where Lester texts Michael saying "now might be a good time to start investing in the stock market"

I ask because I'm trying to do a fully "canon" playthrough where I do everything "as the developer intended" So I dont want to start and quit and start again with any missions as that would f*ck with the flow, and Id rather not use any guides. So how are we supposed to know just by playing the game normally?

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:29 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 23 December 2017 - 06:31 PM.

They absolutely are.

I think you may be confusing the fact that the game wants players to use the stock market and the Assassination missions with the wild and creative and borderline ingenious ways that fans came up with to enrich the protagonists with BILLIONS.

Given that in every Assassination mission, Lester hand-holds Franklin through precisely what stocks will be effected and how, there is no doubt that the developers intended for people to make money with this. However, I am also quite sure that the devs never intended for people to save all the Assassination missions they could until the end, after all the heists, and jump through dozens of hoops to get each of the protagonists BILLIONS.

Electrochoc
  • Electrochoc

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Azerbaijan

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

I never understand why Lester give assassination mission to Franklin.

Most of the expensive property can be only bought by Michael.

Also he is kind of gunman.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:55 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 23 December 2017 - 06:56 PM.

That's an interesting point. But I think that you answered your own question. Franklin is a gunman, and probably in Lesters mind, he would be better suited as an assassin then either Michael or Trevor. Michaels forte is elaborate heists, while Trevor is pretty much of a lunatic. Seems to me that Franklin would have the personality to be a better assassin.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

That's an interesting point. But I think that you answered your own question. Franklin is a gunman, and probably in Lesters mind, he would be better suited as an assassin then either Michael or Trevor. Michaels forte is elaborate heists, while Trevor is pretty much of a lunatic. Seems to me that Franklin would have the personality to be a better assassin.

I think I might have tho disagree here. Michael has the highest default shooting stat and his special ability is pretty much reminiscent of dead eye/bullet time (Both gun play focused). IMO assassinations would've suited him perfectly since he assassinates Jay Norris and that bearded guy during By The Book.

Though he's more of a heist mastermind I could see him working as an assassin on the side.;) 

• gunziness likes this

LucidLocomotive
  • LucidLocomotive

Gouranga!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

I get that Lester tells you which stocks to buy, but my question is more about how you can't switch to the other characters to invest as them once youre in the mission. In order to invest as all three characters, you have to start the mission, and then quit the mission to invest, and then start the mission again. Is this how the developers intended it? Or did the developers only intend for us to be investing as Franklin?

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:25 AM

I think I might have tho disagree here. Michael has the highest default shooting stat and his special ability is pretty much reminiscent of dead eye/bullet time (Both gun play focused). IMO assassinations would've suited him perfectly since he assassinates Jay Norris and that bearded guy during By The Book.

Though he's more of a heist mastermind I could see him working as an assassin on the side. ;)

I think you missed my point. Maybe I should rephrase: I am NOT saying Michael couldn't do the Assassination mission or that he was not capable of them. Only that with his experience and criminal acumen, they are a little above his pay-grade. This is why I believe Franklin is the ideal choice, NOT because he is a better killer than Michael or better with guns, because clearly he isn't. But "Assassins" are generally fairly low on the criminal food chain. We Italians call them "button men" because they are told where to go and who to kill.

Franklin is the better choice for this, since Lester sees him as a guy who is more likely to do what he's told AND can handle himself in a scrap. Again, NOT because Michael couldn't. ;)

I get that Lester tells you which stocks to buy, but my question is more about how you can't switch to the other characters to invest as them once youre in the mission. In order to invest as all three characters, you have to start the mission, and then quit the mission to invest, and then start the mission again. Is this how the developers intended it? Or did the developers only intend for us to be investing as Franklin?

Yes, that is what you are supposed to do, actually, only usually AFTER the mission.

Here, check this guide out on exactly your topic:

http://gtaforums.com...missions-guide/

I believe, though, that the numbers were a little nerfed in the next gen and PC  versions of the game, but I am not sure about that, so check that thread.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Sheriff
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:18 AM

Though he's more of a heist mastermind I could see him working as an assassin on the side. ;)

I think you missed my point. Maybe I should rephrase: I am NOT saying Michael couldn't do the Assassination mission or that he was not capable of them. Only that with his experience and criminal acumen, they are a little above his pay-grade. This is why I believe Franklin is the ideal choice, NOT because he is a better killer than Michael or better with guns, because clearly he isn't. But "Assassins" are generally fairly low on the criminal food chain. We Italians call them "button men" because they are told where to go and who to kill.
Franklin is the better choice for this, since Lester sees him as a guy who is more likely to do what he's told AND can handle himself in a scrap. Again, NOT because Michael couldn't. ;)

Fair enough.:)

Still I would’ve liked some assassinations for Michael aswell as Franklin. As you can probably tell I have a bit of an assassin fetish.:p

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2017 - 04:57 AM

Fair enough. :)

Still I would’ve liked some assassinations for Michael aswell as Franklin. As you can probably tell I have a bit of an assassin fetish. :p

I hear you! Also, assassinations taking advantage of Michael's Bullet Time could have been interesting. I just think Rockstar was trying to sell Michael as being far too high on the food chain to bother taking an assassination contract.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:27 AM

"I just think Rockstar was trying to sell Michael as being far too high on the food chain..."

For what it's worth, my feeling is that they didn't put that much thought into it--they needed gameplay, and it was something for Franklin to do. At any rate, Michael does the dirty work on jobs, so I don't think he would turn up his nose at an assassination.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

"I just think Rockstar was trying to sell Michael as being far too high on the food chain..."

For what it's worth, my feeling is that they didn't put that much thought into it--they needed gameplay, and it was something for Franklin to do. At any rate, Michael does the dirty work on jobs, so I don't think he would turn up his nose at an assassination.

Given the payout and the grunt-work nature of Assassination missions? I do think he would have turned his nose up at it. Its one thing to be a heist planner and get your hands dirty for the cause. Its another to get your ass over to some payphone to take orders from a guy in a wheelchair who you only half-respect, as Michael does with Lester.

I actually do think that a lot of thought was put into this. Sam Houser and his writers aren't dumb. They tend to be pretty meticulous with stuff like this. Maybe too much so, where they sometimes sacrifice gameplay or features. Things like not letting Franklin play tennis (which I couldn't give a crap about tennis myself in the game) are an example of realism gone awry. If anything, the writers on Rockstar's dev team overthink stuff like this.

And I am quite sure that Franklin was the go to protagonists for the kind of street level assassinations that Lester gives.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:19 AM Edited by Dryspace, 25 December 2017 - 01:19 AM.

@ChiroVette

You assume that the relationship would be the same between Michael and Lester, which I don't think is a valid assumption. I'm only talking about the assassinations themselves. I just don't see any reason that Michael wouldn't do something like that, considering the potential payout.

Now, I'm positive you know a lot more about Rockstar than I do, as GTA V is my first game. I wasn't assuming that the writers are incompetent or lazy, my point was that I thought it was about gameplay, not story. No matter how great a story, at the end of the day a game requires gameplay, and often that gameplay doesn't always fully coordinate with the story.

I agree with your last sentence.

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

They absolutely are.

I think you may be confusing the fact that the game wants players to use the stock market and the Assassination missions with the wild and creative and borderline ingenious ways that fans came up with to enrich the protagonists with BILLIONS.

Given that in every Assassination mission, Lester hand-holds Franklin through precisely what stocks will be effected and how, there is no doubt that the developers intended for people to make money with this. However, I am also quite sure that the devs never intended for people to save all the Assassination missions they could until the end, after all the heists, and jump through dozens of hoops to get each of the protagonists BILLIONS.

Other than "exploiting" the assasination missions, how would you able to buy the golf club?

DetectivePhelps
  • DetectivePhelps

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:06 PM Edited by CesarCorona, 08 January 2018 - 11:07 PM.

Love the exploits, love em! Golf course after friends Req. Exploits like in Ssn Andreas in betting shops, &.

Sleepwalking
  • Sleepwalking

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:30 AM

I never understand why assasination missions are Franklin specific. They should be available to three protagonists.

I would do them as Michael before ending, buy all cinemas and golf course with him. Franklin and Trevor has enough money from heists already.

Aquamaniac
  • Aquamaniac

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:18 AM Edited by Aquamaniac, 13 January 2018 - 09:48 AM.

I did the missions in the past few days, if you goal is to buy all places - all cinemas and the golf club - It should be possible without exploiting the game, with exploiting I mean starting the mission and then load an older savegame and invest with all protags.

Spoiler

Michael should now have enough money to buy the three cinemas. At the end I got about 600 millions for Franklin (I often didn't buy or sell at the ideal time), which is more than enough to afford the golf club. I bought the golf club with Trevor though, cause I like the irony in this. Franklin has millions now that he cannot use reasonably, maybe I invest 400 millions in Merryweather, there is also some irony in it.

I do not know if you can make enough money with Trevor without exploiting the game to afford the golf club or with Michael to afford the cinemas plus the golf club, but you can certainly buy all places in the game without exploiting and/or using guides simply by listening to Lesters instructions and waiting with the assassinations until you completed the game, the later is no exploit, the first assassination that is obligatory might be a hint that it's wise to invest as much money as possible in a stock and therefore to wait until later in the game, so I think the developers actually intended the player to wait after the end of the story, how else were you expected to afford the golf club?

Something I wanted to add in terms of realism, such investments at the stock exchange, especially after a bank job and in the context of various relevant murders would easily get you caught by the law enforcement and is maybe the most unrealistic part of the game.

At one point where each protag can invest millions of dollar they would spoil each others profit, let's say if Franklin sells a stock worth 500 million it should drop that much that it ruins Michael's or Trevor's profit. I don't know if this is in the game's code, I guess not.

DetectivePhelps
  • DetectivePhelps

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:56 PM Edited by CesarCorona, 13 January 2018 - 04:01 PM.

I must be the only one who exploits. I quick save the game after friends req.
Then I eject disk on XB1.
Then I uninstall.
I disconnect from internet while remaining logged in.
Insert the disk with nooo patches.
Use LCN, change the % and go to 2.1Billlion on all 3 characters.
Buy the Golf course. Get the phone call & in my case, Michael. After that stay in the parking lot of my property & bring my phone up. Use LCN to bring my money up to 2.1 Billion. Making sure its tursday because the Golf course pays for doing nothing & I can free roam with no worries of a call.
Quick save.
Bring my internet back up witch will prompt me to install the update, patches.
And tah, tah. Money from the start. Buy boats tons of guns, cars. All of it. Making sure I save space gap of money for the big one..Like yes, I get cash I just spent. lol.
Leave only 1 Lester mission for F. The construction site.
I have done this sooooo many times.
But in the past 5 Months I havent. Im content with MTF having 2.1Billions.
In the past I had cinemas & Golf. But I hate cinemas. F them ppl.
Golf Course you get money with no We need help.
I bought F the LS customs - Taxi fares, Pitchers.
T-The drug run property. He works when he wants, Not when they want.

This is how I have enjoyed the game, SO much.
Its not everyones cup of tea, but its how I do this.

I rather not wait until the end to get all this. Im the type to want this from the start after T comes to LS.

After 4 Years in this game, why not?.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users