Quantcast

» «
Photo

A Street Racer protagonist, what's your take on it?

26 replies to this topic
Prasdana21
  • Prasdana21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:43 AM Edited by Prasdana21, 17 December 2017 - 11:46 AM.

Title.

We had a Biker protagonist (Johnny Klebitz) so why not having a Street Racer protagonist? I was actually hoping that we could have a Street Racer Protagonist or at least a Street Racing gang in GTA V years ago (like Dominic Toretto's gang in the original Fast And Furious movie) especially since The first Fast And Furious movie was in LA. I'm not big into Cars but I think a Street Racer protagonist could work. Well, Claude is actually a Street Racer but GTA III theme/story was mostly about revenge and mafia.

Which cities do you think would fit for a GTA Street Racing theme? Would a Street Racer protagonist or a Street Gang work in GTA?

Apologizes in advance if a similar thread like this has done before. If I could post my question/thoughts on a separate topic, then please tell me. Thank you all :)

EDIT: Apologizes as well if there's any Street Gangs/Theme in Online but I don't play it.

Failure
  • Failure

Oh sh*t

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Yemen

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

My opinion-

I'd take a street racer over an old man or meth-head smuggler, but the problem is that a street racer protagonist would just be too generic if the game features a grounded story. If they retort to a crazy OTT story like in San Andreas, V or Online where they have our protagonist steal military jets or have him save the world from an out of control computer, then there is no point of him being a street racer as he'll probably end up doing everything besides racing. The F&F series is an example of the latter.

It would only work if they could come up with a new & different story- something not implemented in other street-racing open-world games; with proper development for the main characters, and only if the game is focused on racing and vehicle customization, and not on experimental aircraft dogfights and crazy evil scientists, and it's obvious that Rockstar won't make a game like that because the Midnight Club series exists.

If they do away with all the sci-fi crap, the story would have our protagonist do races, steal and sell cars, get involved with people with criminal intentions, do some vehicle-based heists, get betrayed, kill the betrayer. This is nothing but a overused generic story.

A much better choice is to have a protagonist who is deeply interested and skilled in motor racing, but isn't a full-time street racer. 

If a street racer is decided as the next protagonist, it would be better if he is Korean, and the game takes place in Atlanta or Detroit.

• Algonquin Assassin, Ivan1997GTA, Prasdana21 and 1 other like this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

The comparison of a street racer and an outlaw biker is kinda flawed,because while both street racers and outlaw bikers are vehicle enthusiasts,a street racer usually does one specific thing to make money (illegal street races),while 1%-er biker gangs are involved in a wide variety of crimes (drug trade, weapon trade, prostitution, vehicle theft, protection rackets...) which aren't really connected to their ride of choice.1%-er biker gangs are pretty much like most other types of gangs,except that they ride motorcycles.

However,I do think a street racer protagonist could work and would be interesting to play as.As ExTerminator said,along with street racing the protagonist should also do some other car-based missions,like stealing and selling cars and being a getaway driver in heists,to have some variety in missions (if all the missions would be just street racing,the gameplay would end up more similar to NFS than to GTA).

• Rebel Yell, rampage08 and Prasdana21 like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

If they retort to a crazy OTT story like in San Andreas, where they have our protagonist steal military jets, then there is no point of him being a street racer as he'll probably end up doing everything besides racing.

SA has more street races than any game in the series, despite having a bit of OTT stuff, which actually doesn't make up the entirety of the story. I can actually roleplay as a street racer in SA than in any other GTA because of the vehicle customizations, racing suites, helmets, and abundance of awesome races.

@topic - I don't think that will ever happen beyond the point of having a street racer background. The game really need to have a story mainly centred around races to make it interesting, otherwise I'd be fine with the way SA does by featuring all the stuff that allows you to roleplay as a street racer.
Unlike what ExTerminator thinks, OTT stuff suites more for a street racer because that brings more variety, and thrills, to the game. A grounded story for this type of game does not appeal to me. There are a couple of interesting games that use illegal (or legal?) races to explore how they are managed by the criminal world with all kinds of other factors involved. It definitely sounds an interesting premise to experience both the crimes that tie into the criminal organizations and enjoying awesome races, thus making it a lot of fun to play. Plus, you can have loads of customizations, and challenging modes to unlock dangerous territories, or districts of rival underworld bosses. Sounds too cool than being a mafia lapdog doing generic, errand tasks.
  • Prasdana21 likes this

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Mastered Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:34 PM Edited by MojoGamer, 17 December 2017 - 08:40 PM.

No, cause GTA is not literary Need for Speed and Fast & Furious

I also didn't like Franklin's street racer ability, cause it ruins dialogue and Lamar said Franklin's face looks kinda gay while using it.

• Tao Cheng and Prasdana21 like this

HujiSen
  • HujiSen

Japans Finest

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

I would like it, but only if R* improved driving in GTA 5, and also had more street racing cars and not a lot of these 2.9mil supercars.

• Prasdana21 likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Victim of The Pit™
  • United-States
  • Meaningless Award

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:08 PM Edited by Zello, 17 December 2017 - 09:09 PM.

The street racing scene is kinda lame imo it would end up being like the fast and furious which I hate.

Also street racers just race. Biker gangs are involved with a lot more criminal activities than just bikes.
  • slimeball supreme and Prasdana21 like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

I'd rather be a professional car thief like Memphis Raines in Gone In 60 Seconds. I like street racing, but I think it's best to be kept as a background theme.

• rampage08, BurnettVice and Prasdana21 like this

ArmyRaidFail404
  • ArmyRaidFail404

Banana Republic without the Bananas

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

A street racer is kind of lame.

Unless of course there's a Mad Max gimmick to it; as if the protagonist had a garage where he could add spikes to his car or rocket weaponry, that could be a cool game mechanic and certainly make for some interesting missions. But then it would be a bit too focused on vehicular combat, which I guess wouldn't be too much of an issue for a game literally called Grand Theft Auto.
  • slimeball supreme and Prasdana21 like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

I'd rather be a professional car thief like Memphis Raines in Gone In 60 Seconds. I like street racing, but I think it's best to be kept as a background theme.

Grand Theft Auto game about grand theft auto? Never gonna happen, you better prepare yourself to steal some jetpacks and military jets.

• Algonquin Assassin, ArmyRaidFail404, Yinepi and 2 others like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Egypt

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:01 AM Edited by Yinepi, 22 December 2017 - 03:06 AM.

I support this Idea simply because it's one step toward taking the series back to it's roots. Roots where 90 percent of the game play was driving, racing, and stealing cars. Y'know, as the title of the game states you'd be doing?

Rockstar have really lost sight of the series core ever since they tried their Scarface parody in 2002, and it's only got worse with the increasing popularity of the series. Grand Theft Auto needs a reboot. But not a shoddy Electronic Arts one.

• Prasdana21 likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:18 AM Edited by Am Shaegar, 22 December 2017 - 05:33 AM.

Grand Theft Auto game about grand theft auto? Never gonna happen, you better prepare yourself to steal some jetpacks and military jets.

I can understand the strong irritation for the jetpacks, and all, but using two or three missions, and make it look like the rest of the game wasn't anywhere close to Grand Theft Auto, feels like you're exaggerating and taking it out of context, since you don't have any real arguments against San Andreas to prove that it doesn't feel like GTA. It's funny how you miss the races, flying tournaments, etc which actually no other GTA game managed to expand upon, just left some breadcrumbs in the name of races for side missions.
San Andreas actually allows me to roleplay a hard core street racer so much better than even today's modern open world games don't. No jetpacks, or military jets, have any connections with it either.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention the stadium events like 8-track race, which unlocks the cool Hotring Racer, too. Name one HD GTA that even allows you to enter any stadium events? If anything HD GTA's doesn't feel right as their slowly moving away from the game Grand Theft Auto.

• ArmyRaidFail404 and Prasdana21 like this

el carlitos
  • el carlitos

Less luxury, more urban style

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

Yes to street racing, but as side quest. Also yes, to a big range of tuning options. We could get a contact in the street racing scene and race for him. I don´t see it as main story part.

• Prasdana21 likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:16 PM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 22 December 2017 - 10:17 PM.

I can understand the strong irritation for the jetpacks, and all, but using two or three missions, and make it look like the rest of the game wasn't anywhere close to Grand Theft Auto, feels like you're exaggerating and taking it out of context, since you don't have any real arguments against San Andreas to prove that it doesn't feel like GTA. It's funny how you miss the races, flying tournaments, etc which actually no other GTA game managed to expand upon, just left some breadcrumbs in the name of races for side missions.
San Andreas actually allows me to roleplay a hard core street racer so much better than even today's modern open world games don't. No jetpacks, or military jets, have any connections with it either.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention the stadium events like 8-track race, which unlocks the cool Hotring Racer, too. Name one HD GTA that even allows you to enter any stadium events? If anything HD GTA's doesn't feel right as their slowly moving away from the game Grand Theft Auto.

Funny, I didn't mean to pick on San Andreas, but on V (Online).

• Algonquin Assassin, Zello and Prasdana21 like this

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

Racing in GTA was always boring to me, if I want to play a racing game then I'll buy Gran Turismo or whatever. Not a good idea imo.
  • Prasdana21 likes this

Schwartzxz
  • Schwartzxz

Player Hater

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

you mostly drive around anyway in GTA so having a story based on even more driving would not interest me at all. Im not a fan of Fast and Furious or any kind of similar movies. I stopped being a fan of Need for Speed games a loooong time ago when they started having stories in the game. thats the game you should play if you want street racing. GTA should be a lot more than that.

• Prasdana21 likes this

Prasdana21
  • Prasdana21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:51 AM

Well, what if a Street Racer protagonist is being used as a DLC protagonist instead? Kinda similar to EPLC to IV where Johnny and Luis completed Niko's story. So the Street Racer protagonist would completed the main Protagonist' story. I suppose a Street Racer theme could work for 20 missions or so.

ArmyRaidFail404
  • ArmyRaidFail404

Banana Republic without the Bananas

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

Well, what if a Street Racer protagonist is being used as a DLC protagonist instead? Kinda similar to EPLC to IV where Johnny and Luis completed Niko's story. So the Street Racer protagonist would completed the main Protagonist' story. I suppose a Street Racer theme could work for 20 missions or so.

I think that might work. DLC has kind of been given the shaft as of recent, but if Rockstar decides to keep a loyal fanbase (instead of a loyal money-base) you might get to see that.

​The best option I'd see though - even if the entire idea doesn't interest me - is the multi-protagonist concept introduced in GTA V. That such protagonist would come from a street-racing background, but be involved in the overarching plot. It works much better, and now - in retrospect - it appears to be Rockstar's main way of appealing to different character archetypes at once.

• Prasdana21 likes this

• Neptune Homme

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I would be curious to see how it could be represented fairly in a game with regards to mission variety. The reason why I think our previous protagonists have worked so well is because of how generic they seem, and I don't mean that in a bad way. If we start with Claude, there's nothing we can really assume about him based on how we play and how he looks - he can handle himself in a fight, knows his way around a gun and can drive only as well as we can control him. There's nothing about Claude that identifies him, and this works to our advantage when it comes to immersion. If you aren't very good at driving, you can play the game differently according to what you are good at. This also works well with Tommy, which saw us exploring new avenues in mission content. He may have grown a voice and a Hawaiian shirt, but his personality doesn't really go one way or another in terms of skill-sets. He's a ruthless American Italian pastiche, but that's about it. CJ is a little different, and this is what I think works against him for some people. He goes from talented hoodrat to millionaire super-spy in the span of a few hours, and that shatters people's perceptions sometimes. I'm not about to turn this into a debate about either game by the way. I don't care if you hate CJ because "a ghetto bird has no business flying jetpacks". I'm just using it as an example.

With street racing, it opens up a new perspective we've seldom seen in past games. It's largely illegal, which is a great help but there's too much restriction to be able to reliably explore diverse mission objectives, unless they can handle a gun as well as they can handle a steering wheel. I'm not saying that it's unreasonable, but it would have to be done in a manner that doesn't feel like a bit of a Mary Sue situation. If we look at V's protagonists (and Niko, whilst we're at it) they're all very strong personalities but they're well-rounded enough that we could plop them into pretty much any situation and not feel like rolling our eyes, at least not the point that we immediately stop playing.

• Ivan1997GTA and Prasdana21 like this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'm done with Rockstar if they follow this route and the guy looks like Paul Walker. Then again I'm 40 and too old for video games anyway.
  • Prasdana21 likes this

Sprunkadelic
  • Sprunkadelic

"Ecola Is Better"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

The only way i can see this idea working if its like an illegal street racer who just happens to do shady criminal activities on the side. like for example, he has a race coming up, but you have to attack the other racers crew and mess up their tires or something along those lines. i personally think it could be cool. maybe he's in a gang with other street racers kinda like the Westside Rollerz from Saints Row 1.

• Tao Cheng and Prasdana21 like this

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:57 AM

Getaway Driver would be nice, but then we already have Driver series.
  • Prasdana21 likes this

Jimmy
  • Jimmy

• Best Jimmys
  • India
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster in Movies / TV 2017
    Best Jimmy
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

The whole thing with street racer protagonist won't form a good story TBH. It'll be compared to NFS, which is more concrete on it's grounds and always will be. Even if some future GTA was inspired from Fast & Furious series, it'd be hard to write a full fledged storyline. Street racing story leaves very few scope for all other sorts of criminal activities which sort of what GTA focuses on. Even something like "Gone in 60 seconds" is lot better than the aforementioned.
  • Prasdana21 likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

OP was talking about a protagonist who is a (street?) racer, not a GTA that revolves only around racing, or a protagonist meant to have only one job - racing. 

Nope. He even gave an example of Johnny, who was a biker protagonist, but the whole story didn't revolve around bike racing, or whatever.

Similarly, CJ wasn't a street racer by default, but the game allows you to participate in races.

We can have a protagonist who has passion for street racing, while the story may revolve around more than one themes, that also includes racing, illegal one's, to be precise, and how it also plays an interesting role in the overall story that may be present in game.

• Sprunkadelic and Prasdana21 like this

Prasdana21
  • Prasdana21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:22 AM Edited by Prasdana21, 29 December 2017 - 11:24 AM.

OP was talking about a protagonist who is a (street?) racer, not a GTA that revolves only around racing, or a protagonist meant to have only one job - racing. 
Nope. He even gave an example of Johnny, who was a biker protagonist, but the whole story didn't revolve around bike racing, or whatever.
Similarly, CJ wasn't a street racer by default, but the game allows you to participate in races.

We can have a protagonist who has passion for street racing, while the story may revolve around more than one themes, that also includes racing, illegal one's, to be precise, and how it also plays an interesting role in the overall story that may be present in game.

This is exactly what I mean Sir :D

Yes, I'm talking about a protagonist who is a street racer like (The Late) Paul Walker and Vin Diesel in the first Fast And Furious movie since the original was all about street-racing. I personally though it could work.

EDIT: And yes, the story itself doesn't have to be resolved around street racing underground world. Very similar to Johnny, except just changing the bikes to cars.
  • Sprunkadelic likes this

Rebel Yell
  • Rebel Yell

Lone Drifter

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:57 PM Edited by Rebel Yell, 29 December 2017 - 05:11 PM.

I'd be okay with it as far as street racing would be just one bad piece of work the protagonist is involved in. I mean, if the protagonist is one day racing cars, the other day pulling heists, and another day transporting drugs... I don't see any problem because this would keep the scope considerably wide. When the protagonist takes part in shady criminal activities like those (besides street racing), the grit and violence needed for any GTA title can be provided. Also, a really dark, bloody, f*cked up street racing underworld should be created. I'm not a fan of the theme but I actually liked Sleeping Dogs' street racing saga during which Wei goes after a narcissistic street racer named Hotshot who can't really accept defeat and even takes it to murder for becoming No 1.

But am I too keen on the idea? No. Like I said, street racing isn't my flick. I think there are more interesting, darker sides of the criminal world which weren't exclusively depicted in the series yet and I would like to see them first, like: Counterfeiting, Conning, Smuggling (People, Drugs, Arms, Historical Artifacts you name it), Money Laundering, Terrorism, Bootlegging Alcohol and Cigarettes (Prohibition Era?) etc.

• Prasdana21 likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Outlaw bikers don't actually race bikes at all.They ride choppers, bobbers, cruisers (usually Harleys,though some European clubs allow metric bikes too) and touring bikes (Road Kings, Electra Glides, Road Glides...),so pretty much any teenager whose dad bought him a sports bike would smoke them in a race.Other than maybe stealing bikes from rival clubs for parts to sell,1%-er motorcycle clubs don't really do any bike-related crimes to earn money.

• Prasdana21 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users