The GTA Online Double-Action Revolver Unlock for RDR2

42 replies to this topic
RedDeadRenegade
  • RedDeadRenegade

Outlaw

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I wonder if that means the variant is the same as the one in GTA Online and means the universes are connected somehow

Nah, California and Manhattan are mentioned in RDR. Different universes, just a fun easter egg

Gotta learn your lessons buddy.

http://gta.wikia.com...e_(HD_Universe)

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Why would they add all those story wise details including the name of the family or company owning the stage coach ?

There'll be more to it clearly.

They are very clearly in different universes, we've got several things to indicate that. Having things in GTA Online as a marketing ploy does not make them in the same universe, buddy. Maybe you should learn your lessons.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well I got it, and did the headshot challenge. The hunt was pretty fun. If GTA Online had more content like that and less emphasis on griefing I'd probably like it more.

Definitely hope they bring back treasure hunts in RDR2.

Galehaut
  • Galehaut

Past crimes: Witchcraft, Stealing fire from the gods

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Galehaut, 4 weeks ago.

Nah, California and Manhattan are mentioned in RDR. Different universes, just a fun easter egg

They are very clearly in different universes, we've got several things to indicate that. Having things in GTA Online as a marketing ploy does not make them in the same universe, buddy. Maybe you should learn your lessons.

So in your opinion , because they decided to advertise this event , it makes any lore shown irrelevant ? Both aren't mutually exclusive.

We first receive an email from a certain Vanderlinde.

http://reddead.wikia...h_van_der_Linde

he's the antagonist from RDR1. During RDR1 , we learned that our protagonist Jhon Marston was running a gang with Vanderlinde in their youth. 

It's pretty much confirmed that at some point during RDR2  , Dutch will play a major role again. The quest itself reveals many details.

We first find a note referring to a certain family and that they were fighting for who would keep these pistols. It apparently went badly enough for them cause' one ran off with the treasure , obviously in bad therms.

3327910-7131492618-czoit.png

Then we find a bloodied shovel. Then we find a box for a left dual pistol , empty. Then we are directed to a naked body in a cave.

This dead body got a white sock and a red sock , his boots seems to be made of old leather. ( could hint that he came from the past but we can't see his clothes ... someone removed them after killing him ... ) His right hand is possibly showing a 6 or a 9 , or doing the hand sign A-OK.

Then we finally find the treasure. There's 2 hill billy bodies with modern cloths and modern weapons next of them. This could hint that those 2 guys heard the noises of someone digging and went to rob this person , only to both meet their death. The treasure is dug up but closed , the shovel was left there planted in the soil. When we open the wooden box , we find the golden engraved right dual pistol in it.

On the pistol we can see an armory stamp (DDP arms co.). This is a clue i believe. We can also find the name of the transport company on the box (Boles Overland) , the number (7) and the fact that it comes from a stage coach.

DRF5tiVWAAA3a-L.jpg

It's important to note that we can see one of the gang members in the RDR2 trailer wielding dual pistols. After this quest , we never learn who killed these 3 people and who kept the left dual pistol. 

That makes quite a lot of details for just a '' marketing ploy '' . You're free to believe what you want though , just like me.

• EVOLUT7ON likes this

DexPac
  • DexPac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Is anything in GTA Online even considered canon anymore?

Galehaut
  • Galehaut

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yes.

Most people get confused because heists were supposed to be in at game release when they were only released 1 year and a half later in 2015.

Heists and original missions time line are months before SP. SP is August / September / October 2013.

Securo timeline is 2015. 2016 with special vehicle missions. 2017 for gunrunning / smugglers update / Doomsday.

Now the timeline is roughly the same than ours , late 2017. It will most likely end here for GTAV Timeline.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

• Portugal
  • Best Contributor in Rockstar Games 2017
    Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think they just retconned the fact that GTA Online was months before SP and considered the year of release of the update as current tbh. A lot of things changed at Rockstar since 2013, the initial release of GTAO.

DexPac
  • DexPac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yes.

Most people get confused because heists were supposed to be in at game release when they were only released 1 year and a half later in 2015.

Heists and original missions time line are months before SP. SP is August / September / October 2013.

Securo timeline is 2015. 2016 with special vehicle missions. 2017 for gunrunning / smugglers update / Doomsday.

Now the timeline is roughly the same than ours , late 2017. It will most likely end here for GTAV Timeline.

Online having a timeline isn't the same as it being canon. In fact, it's further evidence that it's not canon. If online started before the story and then time jumped up to the present day that would mean everyone's online characters were out there causing chaos throughout the story mode which isn't the case.

My theory has always been that GTA Online takes place in an alternate universe where Michael and Franklin never met and so Trevor never found out Michael was still alive and nothing in story mode ever happened.

Online is too open ended and chaotic with far too many new characters added to the mix to try and tie it altogether into GTA's former and future narrative's let alone to Red Dead Redemption's.

RedDeadRenegade
  • RedDeadRenegade

Outlaw

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think they just retconned the fact that GTA Online was months before SP and considered the year of release of the update as current tbh. A lot of things changed at Rockstar since 2013, the initial release of GTAO.

GTA Online starts before singleplayer but moves past it at some point. It's not really a retcon, more just the game moving its plot in real time. 

RedDeadRenegade
  • RedDeadRenegade

Outlaw

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yes.

Online having a timeline isn't the same as it being canon. In fact, it's further evidence that it's not canon. If online started before the story and then time jumped up to the present day that would mean everyone's online characters were out there causing chaos throughout the story mode which isn't the case.

My theory has always been that GTA Online takes place in an alternate universe where Michael and Franklin never met and so Trevor never found out Michael was still alive and nothing in story mode ever happened.

Online is too open ended and chaotic with far too many new characters added to the mix to try and tie it altogether into GTA's former and future narrative's let alone to Red Dead Redemption's.

Are you kidding me? This is so convoluted it hurts. Lester mentions the Online protagonist in singleplayer, Ron talks about Trevor moving to Los Santos in Online and makes references to the events of sisngleplayer in the radio show they made for Online. On Lamars LifeInvader in singleplayer you can see Gerald threatening Lamar, presumably because of the events of Lowrider. They clearly exist in the same canon, its really not that hard to wrap your head around. Just because Online moved forward in real time doesn't mean there's a contradiction. And RDR exists in a different universe than GTA, so the treasure hunt is just a fun little reference thing, not indicative of any real connection

DexPac
  • DexPac

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

The convoluted part is when you factor in all the people who have played it. GTA Online is a shared world so you can't just pretend your character is the only one who's experience is tied to the story mode and all those people you've heisted with, raced with and been griefed by don't really exist.

Even if I did ignore all the other people I've come across in Online and pretend they never existed, online isn't canon to my playthrough of storymode for the simple fact that Trevor and Simeon are still alive. If my choices in story mode aren't canon in online it'd be foolish of me to think the character I created in online is canon to story mode.

Also, if Online is canon then GTA 6 is going to need to be another total reboot to wipe out all the rocket cars, sci-fi vehicles and multi-millionaire criminals it's created.

• Spider-Vice likes this

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 4 weeks ago

I couldn't resist and got back online after more than a year or so. The treasure hunt was pretty fun. The Revolver looks cool and I'm glad that I'll get a special version of it in RDR2. After I found the Revolver I realised that I still got 9,5 million GTA$ left in my bank. So I spent most of it and bought a heist facility with all extras and that orbital canon. Blew another 750k away for that orbital strike kill trophy. Then I spent another 60k or so for "preperations" and played the first 3 set-up missions so I can get to the "real" set-up missions before I can actually play the damn Heist. You could even skip the first set-ups by just buying the cars you need. All in all you gotta spend a few million before you can actually earn something. In order to make a profit you have to play that heist many many times. This whole system so f*cked up imo but it works perfectly for Rockstar and their microtransactions. Thought I might enjoy a few days with GTAO and play the new Heist at least once but no...

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

Galehaut
  • Galehaut

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Galehaut, 4 weeks ago.

Also, if Online is canon then GTA 6 is going to need to be another total reboot to wipe out all the rocket cars, sci-fi vehicles and multi-millionaire criminals it's created.

. If my choices in story mode aren't canon in online it'd be foolish of me to think the character I created in online is canon to story mode.

First of all ; The cannon ending is C. It's be proven once in smugglers run with Ron stating that Trevor is gone all Vinewood.

It's been proven again with Doomsday heist. Without spoiling it to you ; there's a minor character that persists only if you choose ending C and they brought him back in Doomsday heist.

They created a schism between 3D and HD universe.

We probably shouldn't expect the next GTA for another 4 years. It's a long way until then ; and i think it's safe to say that they'll try to create a new revolution into the genre instead of trying to re-do the same thing than before.

We should even expect the first title in a new universe. HD universe started in what , 2008 ? i think that 15 years later , they might want to start their new universe at least for GTA. 

Maybe that's why it's called the Doomsday patch ? Because it LITERALLY signify the end of that universe as a whole ? *_-;

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Nem_Wan, 3 weeks ago.

Yes.

Now that it's explicit that new GTA Online content is set in the current year, I think there's a good case that this applies retroactively, with Ill-Gotten Gains Part 2 being the last content that is set prior to the story in 2013. That's the last content for previous-gen consoles and the last content added to single-player. The previous-gen Online experience is thus entirely set before the events of Story Mode. 

The first update that was exclusive for current-gen, the Freemode Events Update (September 2015), removed the previous freemode activities (remember cargo drops and armored cars?) and laid the foundation for the much busier freemode we have now. The Freemode Events Update is logically when Online began to depict events after those of Story Mode, and this logic justifies previous-gen and Story Mode no longer getting updates — the Story is complete and everything beyond is beyond.

Going forward, I think whatever Online canon might be recalled in future games would be limited to moments that are significant enough to have fully produced performance-captured cutscenes and checkpoints whose passage allows events to be objectively described with some specificity.

But back on topic, I have an idea for another RDR2 lead-in challenge. Should the double-action revolver be the only thing the player takes from the present to the Old West? A letter reads...

If my calculations are correct, you will receive this letter immediately after you saw the Deluxo struck by lightning. First, let me assure you that I am alive and well. I've been living happily these past eight months in the year 1885....

And so begins a story that culminates (after several years and just before GTA6 is released) with the Deluxo being available in RDR Online, where completing a challenge with it will unlock content for returning players in GTA6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users