Akula Discussion Thread

746 replies to this topic
Commche
  • Commche

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I've flown plenty with the savage; it does flip, but not like the Akula. The savage rotors can bang up against plenty of stuff without instantly gluing the entire chopper to whatever is getting scraped or doubling it over.

The First Hunter
  • The First Hunter

Praise The Moon

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Something that really annoys me with the Akula is how the rotor blades are practically magnetized to everything; if you get caught up on a pole or a tree, they love to just stick to objects and flip the whole damn thing or break off. Don't have that issue with the Hunter or buzzard or savage.

Lol no! Savage does flips by hitting a leaf
  • Silencer555 and Piro like this

IdRatherBeFlying
  • IdRatherBeFlying

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

500-1000 feet is the worst possible altitude for being spotted, you stick out as a black speck even with cammo.   Something bright like Matte ice white with no cammo might be the best paint for that altitude to blend in with the haze and works for many rooftops also.   In GTA aircraft always look darker than you would expect against the sky.

Bloodytears1666
  • Bloodytears1666

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Northern-Mariana-Islands

Posted A week ago Edited by Bloodytears1666, A week ago.

I've flown plenty with the savage; it does flip, but not like the Akula. The savage rotors can bang up against plenty of stuff without instantly gluing the entire chopper to whatever is getting scraped or doubling it over.

Search, someone recently show off some flips in Savage or BandM thread, I don't remember. Quiet funny.

MARTIANS
  • MARTIANS

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted A week ago Edited by MARTIANS, A week ago.

Stealth mode won't protect you from a sticky bomb'ed Besra
 https://www.youtube....h?v=FuiOOfzlZXU

Very nice! But you would have a harder time finding a really good Akula pilot. This was a novice, flying so high. I never fly higher than 4mm off the ground =D

Flying high with the Akula has nothing to do with being novice. I'm often a stratosphere Akula and I see that as an advantage. Nobody is looking down on me and I can use the map to pick targets before I quickly descend (nose diving). Hell, I've even killed a stealthed Akula before that was flying pretty low to the ground. Spotted him with my eyes while descending. From a higher position you have a clear view of everything below you (within your draw distance), including choppers and sometimes even jets.
Ok, let me correct myself. This guy was flying high, as in medium altitude above the city, just bobbing about. That is the sure sign of a novice. You either go low, hugging the scenery - or you go very high. I prefer to stay low most of the time because I can react faster to nearby events. There's a great deal of risk involved course of if you're entering a crowded area, be it city or hillside. I also go really high sometimes to hide out of range, but mostly I prefer to swim like a shark over the landscape.

The problem with really going and staying low is that another Akula pilot (e.g. the novice guy at medium altitude) can easily lock onto you with his homing missiles.

Something that really annoys me with the Akula is how the rotor blades are practically magnetized to everything; if you get caught up on a pole or a tree, they love to just stick to objects and flip the whole damn thing or break off. Don't have that issue with the Hunter or buzzard or savage.

Then you haven't flown a lot with the Savage. That chopper is known for doing all kinds of flips when you hit something with the rotors.
So what do you suggest, that we stay at max altitude all the time?

Nah, going low, (unless a situation demands otherwise) is the best way to operate the Akula. The chances of facing off with another Akula are really slim, so unless you suspect or know there is another Akula out there, staying out of visual range by hugging the treeline is the safest way.

Transitioning to high altitude is also risky, it has to be done in an empty area of the map, if you're spotted by the wrong person your cover is blown. Stay low and you'll be a more successful Akula pilot.

CobraX
  • CobraX

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted A week ago

Very nice! But you would have a harder time finding a really good Akula pilot. This was a novice, flying so high. I never fly higher than 4mm off the ground =D

Flying high with the Akula has nothing to do with being novice. I'm often a stratosphere Akula and I see that as an advantage. Nobody is looking down on me and I can use the map to pick targets before I quickly descend (nose diving). Hell, I've even killed a stealthed Akula before that was flying pretty low to the ground. Spotted him with my eyes while descending. From a higher position you have a clear view of everything below you (within your draw distance), including choppers and sometimes even jets.
Ok, let me correct myself. This guy was flying high, as in medium altitude above the city, just bobbing about. That is the sure sign of a novice. You either go low, hugging the scenery - or you go very high. I prefer to stay low most of the time because I can react faster to nearby events. There's a great deal of risk involved course of if you're entering a crowded area, be it city or hillside. I also go really high sometimes to hide out of range, but mostly I prefer to swim like a shark over the landscape.

The problem with really going and staying low is that another Akula pilot (e.g. the novice guy at medium altitude) can easily lock onto you with his homing missiles.

Then you haven't flown a lot with the Savage. That chopper is known for doing all kinds of flips when you hit something with the rotors.

Nah, going low, (unless a situation demands otherwise) is the best way to operate the Akula. The chances of facing off with another Akula are really slim, so unless you suspect or know there is another Akula out there, staying out of visual range by hugging the treeline is the safest way.

Transitioning to high altitude is also risky, it has to be done in an empty area of the map, if you're spotted by the wrong person your cover is blown. Stay low and you'll be a more successful Akula pilot.

I disagree that staying at very low altitude (close to the ground) is the safest way to fly the Akula. You can use the map to look out for people in choppers/jets but all these folks using "ghost organization" and flying a little bit higher will have an easy time spotting you (the explosive cannon of the Savage likes nothing more than ground targets). Even if they don't spot you with their eyes, their homing missiles might just lock onto you. Consider the amount of people seen in the stratosphere compared to those close to the ground. Should tell you enough about which one is the safest option.

Also, being completely out-of-range and outside of the draw distance protects you against the heavy sniper with explosive ammo and prevents homing launchers/homing missiles to lock onto you. Yes you can be spotted when you're ascending, but it depends who you're fighting. If it's someone with a homing launcher or a vehicle with homing missiles which you might have just killed, search for cover first before you ascend to make sure you're out of his lock-on range. Don't forget the Akula is the fastest climbing chopper in the game. Use that strength properly.

There are times when I stay down low a bit longer for example when I want to kill a second person nearby (then I'll just hide behind something). It's so much easier to kill airplanes and other choppers when you're high up in the sky. I've even killed an avenger twice that way by dropping a ton of bombs on him. In the end you're a chopper and just like an eagle you dive down on your prey to kill it.

MARTIANS
  • MARTIANS

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted A week ago

I disagree that staying at very low altitude (close to the ground) is the safest way to fly the Akula. You can use the map to look out for people in choppers/jets but all these folks using "ghost organization" and flying a little bit higher will have an easy time spotting you (the explosive cannon of the Savage likes nothing more than ground targets). Even if they don't spot you with their eyes, their homing missiles might just lock onto you. Consider the amount of people seen in the stratosphere compared to those close to the ground. Should tell you enough about which one is the safest option.

Also, being completely out-of-range and outside of the draw distance protects you against the heavy sniper with explosive ammo and prevents homing launchers/homing missiles to lock onto you. Yes you can be spotted when you're ascending, but it depends who you're fighting. If it's someone with a homing launcher or a vehicle with homing missiles which you might have just killed, search for cover first before you ascend to make sure you're out of his lock-on range. Don't forget the Akula is the fastest climbing chopper in the game. Use that strength properly.

There are times when I stay down low a bit longer for example when I want to kill a second person nearby (then I'll just hide behind something). It's so much easier to kill airplanes and other choppers when you're high up in the sky. I've even killed an avenger twice that way by dropping a ton of bombs on him. In the end you're a chopper and just like an eagle you dive down on your prey to kill it.
Of course it depends on the situation, but I've flown around for hours being sneaky behind scenery and hills. I can engage a lot more targets than if I was flying high and swooping down. People or Savages with ghost org usually don't pose a problem, just wait it out and hide or fly away.

And besides, flying low is so much more fun than lingering in the skies, takes no skill at all.

Yes, it sometimes puts you on the spot, but you'll have hills or scenery to hide or flee behind. Of course going way up is the "safest" place, but it takes too long to engage. I'm staying down here.

CobraX
  • CobraX

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted A week ago

Of course it depends on the situation, but I've flown around for hours being sneaky behind scenery and hills. I can engage a lot more targets than if I was flying high and swooping down. People or Savages with ghost org usually don't pose a problem, just wait it out and hide or fly away.

And besides, flying low is so much more fun than lingering in the skies, takes no skill at all.

Yes, it sometimes puts you on the spot, but you'll have hills or scenery to hide or flee behind. Of course going way up is the "safest" place, but it takes too long to engage. I'm staying down here.

That's a very bold statement there. Maybe you should try nose diving down from the stratosphere and pull up just in time so you'll end up about 5, maybe 10 meters above ground level. In my opinion both our strategies work with yours being more risky and up-close all the time. But your initial post made it seem like there was only one true way of flying the Akula which is nonsense of course. There are different strategies for this chopper and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

MARTIANS
  • MARTIANS

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted A week ago Edited by MARTIANS, 6 days ago.

That's a very bold statement there. Maybe you should try nose diving down from the stratosphere and pull up just in time so you'll end up about 5, maybe 10 meters above ground level. In my opinion both our strategies work with yours being more risky and up-close all the time. But your initial post made it seem like there was only one true way of flying the Akula which is nonsense of course. There are different strategies for this chopper and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.
I never stated there is only one way of flying the Akula, I'm simply saying getting down and dirty offers a lot more than swooping down. I do think flying high most of the time is actually more risky than hugging the treeline, because you're very vulnerable in the transition. You're just advertising where you are, which is defeating the very purpose of stealth. With low level flying you have much better control of the environment and have more options than if you're flying high. What if a Hydra spots you? Dead. What if another Akula spots you without you knowing? Dead. Except for brief ghost orgs and OTR, your best friend is the environment. If you have someone looking for you and you have time, park the chopper in a valley out of sight, most likely they won't find you and you can flip the odds in your favour. Flying high is an option if you're in search mode or just want to hide away without having to pay close attention.

Do as you please, but I'll be the shark down here and you can be the eagle up there

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted A week ago

I find the most important thing is to stay moving, high or low.
  • SaveTheZombies likes this

elfoam
  • elfoam

High Roller

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I tend to fly around with cover, you can park it and wait no problem if you are somewhere that has overhead cover, there are plenty of places you can park an Akula and not been seen for hours.

Foreverpast
  • Foreverpast

Polite Upon Request

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Foreverpast, 6 days ago.

With all Lester Contact Missions currently 2x Cash & RP, the Akula really shines in it's ability to automatically drop a 3+ wanted level to 2 stars when it's stealth ability is activated.

Can't call Lester to get the cops off you anyway during his missions....so yeah, bye bye npc Police Mavericks.

• SaveTheZombies and Fatsanchez like this

Duckdude001
  • Duckdude001

Big fanatic of trucks/offroaders and military vehicles.

• Members
  • Canada
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Duckdude001, 6 days ago.

Nice attack helicopter, stealth feature is useful for lowering stars and for using it to kill while offradar so u dont have to pay for offradar or ghost org but I prefer my two death machines of utter destruction in terms of firepower, the Hunter and the Savage. Savage when Im solo and hunter when Im with friend, sometimes solo too.. Im still going to get this when I get the money and when I unlock the trade price.

The First Hunter
  • The First Hunter

Praise The Moon

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Is it just me or is Akula's headlight (?) really really bright?

MARTIANS
  • MARTIANS

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 6 days ago

When you spawn the Akula, shoot out the headlights with a weak gun, f.ex the micro SMG. Makes you a little bit extra stealthy when opening the weapons bay.

Sometimes the floodlights are good to have, but I've made it a routine to kill the lights when getting a fresh Akula.
  • IamCourtney likes this

The First Hunter
  • The First Hunter

Praise The Moon

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

When you spawn the Akula, shoot out the headlights with a weak gun, f.ex the micro SMG. Makes you a little bit extra stealthy when opening the weapons bay.

Sometimes the floodlights are good to have, but I've made it a routine to kill the lights when getting a fresh Akula.
I wish there was a way to get rid of those flight safety lights as well. (It doesn't make sense for them to strobe in stealth mode)
  • Aslad likes this

Dr.Rosenthal
  • Dr.Rosenthal

Car Collector

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Dr.Rosenthal, 6 days ago.

It really is too easy killing others in free roam with this machine. I went on a rampage the other day (that's rare for me), just to show its capabilities to a friend, and man.. I started feeling bad after three easy kills. I don't understand how people can do this sh*t all day and feel good about themselves lol

• ballen205, Gridl0k, IamCourtney and 2 others like this

MARTIANS
  • MARTIANS

Player Hater

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 6 days ago

I wish there was a way to get rid of those flight safety lights as well. (It doesn't make sense for them to strobe in stealth mode)
Flying low at night makes you stand out less since the most visible strobes are at the bottom of the chopper.

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 5 days ago Edited by IamCourtney, 5 days ago.

It really is too easy killing others in free roam with this machine. I went on a rampage the other day (that's rare for me), just to show its capabilities to a friend, and man.. I started feeling bad after three easy kills. I don't understand how people can do this sh*t all day and feel good about themselves lol

Haha I hear ya. I've more or less assigned the Akula to a defensive capacity now that I have the Hunter for attack. It just feels more sporting. Unless someone really pisses me off...
  • Dr.Rosenthal likes this

Snipe_McHeadshot
  • Snipe_McHeadshot

d(-_-)b

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 5 days ago

At this point I'm almost exclusively just dumping on red dots. There's nothing funnier than that spinning animation on the radar after you make them crap themselves. 

• Fatsanchez likes this

Bloodytears1666
  • Bloodytears1666

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Northern-Mariana-Islands

Posted 5 days ago

At this point I'm almost exclusively just dumping on red dots. There's nothing funnier than that spinning animation on the radar after you make them crap themselves. 

If red dots not the people, than, no one else are. :lol: Regret nothing.

• Snipe_McHeadshot likes this

AWACS-SkyEye
  • AWACS-SkyEye

Crackhead

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 4 days ago

Why on earth didn't they gave us the ability to remove that big red "27"...

^

It ruins the total black stealth look.

Totally agree, wish they would change it.

Smooth Longsack
  • Smooth Longsack

real long

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 4 days ago

Why on earth didn't they gave us the ability to remove that big red "27"...

^

It ruins the total black stealth look.
Totally agree, wish they would change it.

Yep! Some of the liveries hide it a bit but i want this thing with black matte stealth paint.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 4 days ago

This thing looks nice in Chrome. Not sure how stealthy that makes it...

Just Browsing Go Away
  • Just Browsing Go Away

¿?

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

My first jet kill. Quite possibly my favorite aircraft in the game.

• Gridl0k and Bloodytears1666 like this

Gridl0k
  • Gridl0k

Avenger Disassemble!

• GTAF Crew
  • British-Virgin-Islands

Posted 4 days ago

I like the insignia, I know if I bought an ex-CCCP stealth helicopter I'd leave them on there :D

Matches my Molotok too.

• Professional Amateur and Fatsanchez like this

Atska
  • Atska

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago Edited by Atska, 3 days ago.

Made my Akula all chrome today best decision I ever made makes visually tracking it is a nightmare for both ground and air attackers. Flying it at night greatly enhances the stealth aesthetic.
  • Cutter De Blanc and Fatsanchez like this

delorianlazarus
  • delorianlazarus

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 3 days ago Edited by delorianlazarus, 3 days ago.

Since writing RANDOM words with caps is a common thing in here, i WILL follow the trend.

It SUCK that the lights don't turn off, it kinda breaks MY immersion. But slicing a dude (especially money beggars) and being called names after killing him with a ROCKET in the chat is my new hobby now :D
  • Happy Hunter likes this

Khephera
  • Khephera

Helihure

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

Made my Akula all chrome today best decision I ever made makes visually tracking it is a nightmare for both ground and air attackers. Flying it at night greatly enhances the stealth aesthetic.

Pfff, not really. :D Just look at the flashing lights during the night. Also, once you know there's an Akula in the sky, it's kinda easy to spot them. Especially when you know some salty player is about to "hunt" you with it. :D

Nope, you won't kill my Akula with your Akula.^^

• Professional Amateur and Happy Hunter like this

Khephera
  • Khephera

Helihure

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

My very first encounter with the Cherno-thing (I don't know how the f*ck this thing is spelled, lol)

Cute. 

• whywontyoulisten, Foxwolfe, Professional Amateur and 3 others like this

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users