Best Gaming Keyboard?

25 replies to this topic
ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:59 AM

Hi, so I've been looking for a new gaming keyboard for my PC, but I don't know which one to get. I've heard that mechanical keyboards are more responsive than membrane keyboards. My budget is $120.

These are a couple keyboards I've been looking at:

https://www.amazon.c...139c6497b262e1e

https://www.pccasege...e-gaming-combo/

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:52 AM

Just like a mouse, headsets and monitors, the best is subject to someone and their budget. All I can suggest is read reviews from various sites on whatever youre considering.

With that said, the Corsair is on display at my local Best Buy. I liked what I seen. Now, while Ive never actually used it on a PC Id recommend it. I havent even read on the other one or know anything about it so I wouldnt go so far to say I recommend the Corsair over it.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Ännu en dag, ännu ett slag, i betongens krävande skugga

• Sheriff
  • European-Union
  • Best Poster in Debates 2017
    Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

I would probably look at something like a Cooler Master XTI. I've been quite disappointed by the build quality of the Corsair mechanicals and a Filco Majestouch is out of budget.

Or I'd just get the straight up, gimickless Cherry MX 3.0 with brown switches.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:00 AM Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 06 December 2017 - 10:24 AM.

Thanks for all of your replies. I found a combo with a mouse when looking at the Cooler Master XTI on PC Case Gear:

https://www.pccasege...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

EDIT: Now to think of it, I'm not sure if that's the right keyboard. Anyways, I looked at some more XTI's and they are way outta my price range.

I've also been thinking about getting these ones as well:

https://www.pccasege...d-blue-switches

https://www.mwave.co...HxoCw2IQAvD_BwE

Ai®aCob®a
  • Ai®aCob®a

Ban Roulette Winner 2017

• Victim of The Pit™
  • Solomon-Islands
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

Too be honest unless you want a Keyboard that can do Marcos and other programmable stuff then by all means get a Gaming Keyboard but if you are simply looking for a keyboard that has programmable blacklit keys then just look for a standard keyboard that allows this there is no sense spending $100 on a keyboard for the simple reason of the blacklit keys.

I use a simple $25 keyboard I got from Best Buy and it works just fine and does everything I need and it also includes button that i can assign to open certain programs and it also has blacklit keys of difference colors

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:42 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 06 December 2017 - 11:44 AM.

what is a "gaming" keyboard?

unless it comes with extra keys for macros i dont see anything that makes a normal keyboard, mechanical or not into a "gaming" keyboard.

just buy the one that you like and have the features that you want.. backlight, rgb, mechanical, tenkeyless etc

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:51 AM Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 06 December 2017 - 11:52 AM.

Well I heard that mechanical was a lot better than membrane for gaming, so that's why I was looking at those choices. I do like the lighting, but performance is preferred.

Pretty much what I want is a very responsive, good quality keyboard with or without lighting, it doesn't bother me.

BTW I looked up what a Macro is on Google and it doesn't seem to apply to me. To be honest, I dunno how they would apply to anyone.

Any more suggestions, or does that pretty much sum it up?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

Well I heard that mechanical was a lot better than membrane for gaming, so that's why I was looking at those choices. I do like the lighting, but performance is preferred.

Pretty much what I want is a very responsive, good quality keyboard with or without lighting, it doesn't bother me.

Mechanical is better, but its not that that defines if its gaming or not, its just better overall., but dont think that you will get an advantage over people that have membrane keyboards, its minimal.

BTW I looked up what a Macro is on Google and it doesn't seem to apply to me. To be honest, I dunno how they would apply to anyone.

Any more suggestions, or does that pretty much sum it up?

they help alot, just like having a mouse with extra buttons that you can assign for switching to a specific weapon or action, without the need to move your hand all over the keyboard

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Macros were basically born out of old MMO's that had complex skill rotations, so people created programs (some later games supported them anyway) that allowed 1 button press to do an entire rotation. They still have their wider uses in some games but they're not as popular as they used to be, hence why you don't see as many keyboards with macro buttons or features these days. Mechanicals aren't really more responsive (if they are it's very minimal) but people find them nicer to type and play games on. Word of warning though, they are loud to use.

There's a ton of options out there now, just do your research and find something that fits your lighting needs, switch needs (some are louder or more clicky than others), keyboard form needs (full, tenkeyless, etc) and find the best reviewed ones. I can vouch for Cooler Master having great build quality my self.

Blaze
  • Blaze

conspiracy clunge is useless clunge

• Super Sleuth Deadass
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Sleuth Deadass 2018
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

less of a chance of hitting keys by accident with a mech compared to membrane and they have a nice tactile feel which you could say is more responsive as opposed to the generic squish of membranes.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• Sheriff
  • European-Union

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Don't buy a Cherry Blue. It'll drive you mad. Like dropping a typewriter down a flight of stairs. They're really for tactile, accurate typing and only then in a hermetically sealed room so people can't strangle you for being a noisy oaf.
  • Star-Lord likes this

Star-Lord
  • Star-Lord

Freelance Outlaw And A Great Dancer l

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

If you have the money and you want top of the line gaming keyboard take a look at this?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

If you have the money..

My budget is $120.

Star-Lord
  • Star-Lord

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

If you have the money..

My budget is $120.

Too bad. Hell of a keyboard tbh.

I'm going to order it after the holidays are over and I pay my credit card bill.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:43 PM Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 06 December 2017 - 09:31 PM.

To be honest, I want a keyboard without all the extra buttons, because I don't think I need them.

The only few extra buttons I wouldn't mind having are media buttons like volume and that sorta stuff. And I also want n-key rollover.

In all honesty the keyboard I would really like is a wireless one, it's just that there are so many options. I'll look into it.

Thanks for your help  :lol:

• Star-Lord likes this

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Don't buy a Cherry Blue. It'll drive you mad. Like dropping a typewriter down a flight of stairs. They're really for tactile, accurate typing and only then in a hermetically sealed room so people can't strangle you for being a noisy oaf.

My keyboard has a few keys with Cherry Blue clones which are apparently even more clicky and annoying. However, I find that sound appealing weirdly enough. It reminds me of old computer keyboards which I like. The brown switches sound a bit too dead for my taste. 

To be honest, I want a keyboard without all the extra buttons, because I don't think I need them.

The only few extra buttons I wouldn't mind having are media buttons like volume and that sorta stuff. And I also want n-key rollover.

In all honesty the keyboard I would really like is a wireless one, it's just that there are so many options. I'll look into it.

I have this keyboard from Redragon: https://www.amazon.c...m/dp/B01NAI2TXC

It's made of aluminium and it is quite heavy despite its size. No extra buttons, Cherry Brown clone switches (apparently pretty close to the real thing) and pretty good for under $60. I've used mine for a few good months now and it served me great. I also have a Redragon mouse that's two years old now and still works flawlessly: https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00GU8W5AE

I'd say you cannot go wrong with these two for a low budget.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

Wireless and PC gaming aint a particularly good combo. I think the technology has improved from several years ago when wireless mice/keyboard had very obvious input lag but if you care about gaming or game a lot you're still gonna have some form of input lag because of it.

• Star-Lord likes this

Star-Lord
  • Star-Lord

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Wireless and PC gaming aint a particularly good combo. I think the technology has improved from several years ago when wireless mice/keyboard had very obvious input lag but if you care about gaming or game a lot you're still gonna have some form of input lag because of it.

Agree 110% with you on this.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:15 AM

Yes I heard about input lag (I'm actually having this issue with my current keyboard) so I asked my cousin whose really good with tech, and he said all I have to do is adjust some setting in the computer, but he hasn't told me which one yet. So input lag I could just fix by changing whatever ya gotta change, according to my cousin.

My keyboard has a few keys with Cherry Blue clones which are apparently even more clicky and annoying. However, I find that sound appealing weirdly enough. It reminds me of old computer keyboards which I like. The brown switches sound a bit too dead for my taste. 

I have this keyboard from Redragon: https://www.amazon.c...m/dp/B01NAI2TXC

It's made of aluminium and it is quite heavy despite its size. No extra buttons, Cherry Brown clone switches (apparently pretty close to the real thing) and pretty good for under $60. I've used mine for a few good months now and it served me great. I also have a Redragon mouse that's two years old now and still works flawlessly: https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00GU8W5AE

I'd say you cannot go wrong with these two for a low budget.

Thanks I'll look into it.

Blaze
  • Blaze

conspiracy clunge is useless clunge

• Super Sleuth Deadass
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Sleuth Deadass 2018
    Crew Poster Winner 2017
    Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Changing most likely a registry value isn't gonna fix a hardware delay

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:59 PM Edited by Jason, 07 December 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Yea you're not fixing input lag from a wireless device through a setting on your computer lol

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

Changing most likely a registry value isn't gonna fix a hardware delay

Yea you're not fixing input lag from a wireless device through a setting on your computer lol

Oh, I was just going by my cousin. Well, can it be done with a wired keyboard?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• Sheriff
  • European-Union

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

A wired keyboard won't have signal input lag, but you'll still get lag caused by V-Sync and other things like that.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

A wired keyboard won't have signal input lag, but you'll still get lag caused by V-Sync and other things like that.

So it's impossible to get input lag with a wired keyboard?

I think input lag is when you press a key but it isn't registered straight away, just so we're on the same page.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• Sheriff
  • European-Union

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

There are several aspects to this.

The signal lag between a key press and the receipt of that press by the motherboard.
The processing delay between receipt and action.
The display lag between action in-game and display of action.

A wired keyboard only addresses the first. It doesn't remove it entirely but near as makes no difference.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Victim of The Pit™
  • None

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:22 AM

I've decided to get the Corsair K68. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users