Quantcast

» «
Photo

would you pay money for any gta v online content?

30 replies to this topic
Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

No way, unless the content is really extensive like the GTA IV episodes.

The online mode needs something new. The recent DLCs have basically been military vehicles (which cost $X million, and requires you to grind the executive missions in a solo lobby, which you can only do IF you had enough money to even start the business in the first place). I would get paid DLC if it involves new characters, a proper story (doubt we will ever get that with GTA:O though lol), and more interiors. Oh, and a sh*t-ton of fun, unique missions. However, R*'s tactic is to release small DLCs with vehicles, clothing and new guns. I doubt any paid DLC will be significantly different. 

I would prefer a single player DLC. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Los Santos County. 

Knowing absolutely nothing about the online portion of this game, BUT knowing the freemium business model very well, having played mobile games, as well as what I have heard about GTAO so far, I am not even a little surprised by what you say, when you mention that it costs a huge amount of GTA bucks to acquire these coveted new vehicles AND that it requires a lot of money to "start" the business in the game.

This is the big problem with the freemium business model, which was mostly used in mobile games, where you don't actually pay to download and play the game, but you are encouraged, through various in-game tactics, to buy IAP (In-App Purchases) in order to acquire assets, which often include in-game currency. In GTAO, that currency is GTA Bucks. This is all accomplished by the science of manipulating what freemium devs have aptly dubbed the in-game economy.

Spoiler

It's not just more difficult to start a business, you have to be in a public lobby as well. So in other words, if you have a life outside GTA and haven't played in a while, some level 400+ in a flying bike or an APC will kill you and destroy your product. You have to change the internet settings on the console just so you can finish the missions without any problems (or just cycle through servers to find one without assholes). Then again, if the game wasn't filled with outrageous vehicles this wouldn't be a problem. Players with cashcards have a huge advantage when it comes to gunfights and they can travel without any problems. Rehashing the same missions but making them slightly different is not a good tactic, but the fanboys will be like "but FREE content!!!" "you don't have to buy the cashcards if you don't want to!". 

IMO, the change of focus from SP to MP DLCs (and cashcards) became more obvious when The Benz was kicked out from R*. Back when he was there, they promised an SP DLC. But now it's clear that repetitive MP "DLC" is the direction the Housers and the higher-ups at T2 want to take (although I am pretty sure that it was The Benz' idea for the cashcards, IIRC). I have real worries about how RDR2 will pan out. RDR1 had a really fun multiplayer, but I really doubt that the sequel will be anything like it.

SP DLC would redeem R* somewhat in the eyes of many players, but SP DLC would only make R* a limited amount of money compared to repeated Online DLCs. "Cash is king" indeed. A high quality SP DLC would use up a fair share of their time if the whole team was involved, and since a fairly large portion of the staff are working solely on GTA:O, I doubt we will get an SP DLC anytime soon, if at all.
It's dead. Even I admit it. Releasing one if the planned SP Dlc's for GTA v right now would result in me sucking R* dry and forgiving them for the 4 years of neglect. But right now, gta online has given them cash dementia and since scroogy mc f*ck face Strauss Zelnick has confirmed, RDR2 was built from the ground up to incorporate microtransactions ooops "recurrent consumer spending" it looks like I will NOT pre order RDR2 or any R* game that isn't a remaster like LA Noire or the rumoured gta 4 remaster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users