Overrated/Underrated GTA'S

92 replies to this topic
ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

Its not about how the game looks its more to do with gameplay most of the 3D era games still have that in spades, id rather play the game as it was intended rather than add pointless sh*t to it to make it something it never will be.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

Its not about how the game looks its more to do with gameplay most of the 3D era games still have that in spades, id rather play the game as it was intended rather than add pointless sh*t to it to make it something it never will be.

It's the gameplay (mainly controls) that hasn't aged well to me, not the graphics. I still play old games, more so than new ones actually.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:25 PM

It's the gameplay (mainly controls) that hasn't aged well to me, not the graphics. I still play old games, more so than new ones actually.

I don't really have an issue with the graphics either. It's mostly things like aiming and whatnot. The 3D era GTAs have always had terrible aiming manually or automatic.  Then there's the lack of physics where everyone feels like a stick figure.

After R* introduced Euphoria it made the 3D era feel lke sh*t to be honest.

• Piggsy pls likes this

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

One Love Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:25 AM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 28 November 2017 - 01:30 AM.

I don't really have an issue with the graphics either. It's mostly things like aiming and whatnot. The 3D era GTAs have always had terrible aiming manually or automatic.  Then there's the lack of physics where everyone feels like a stick figure.

I didn't really think it made 3D era gta's feel or look like sh*t in my perspective. Most of the 3D era gta's were all part of my childhood. When i first played IV way long ago during first release back in 08 i was really shocked how good the game looked. The physics were so good it was unbelievable. This is the part where V failed horribly. How tf can a game from 08 have better physical quality than a game from 2013?? Anyway i was pleased that R* changed and moved along with their gta's starting with IV regarding the whole ragdoll physics. They had to go with something different and change it due to at the time most video games were already becoming a big deal regarding graphics.
It was a good change from the Renderware physics the old gta's had. But i still like them nothing less. Definitely still enjoy the classic 3D era games.

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Ignore Mode Activated!

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

Overrated>gta 5
Underrated>gta vcs, cw and 4

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

I didn't really think it made 3D era gta's feel or look like sh*t in my perspective. Most of the 3D era gta's were all part of my childhood. When i first played IV way long ago during first release back in 08 i was really shocked how good the game looked. The physics were so good it was unbelievable. This is the part where V failed horribly. How tf can a game from 08 have better physical quality than a game from 2013?? Anyway i was pleased that R* changed and moved along with their gta's starting with IV regarding the whole ragdoll physics. They had to go with something different and change it due to at the time most video games were already becoming a big deal regarding graphics.
It was a good change from the Renderware physics the old gta's had. But i still like them nothing less. Definitely still enjoy the classic 3D era games.

Maybe feeling like sh*t was a bit harsh terminology, but when Euphoria was introduced it made going back to the 3D era difficult. I still play GTA IV on a regular basis and IMO it hasn't aged anywhere to the extent the 3D era GTAs did when they were almost 10 years old.

I can give graphics a pass because I'm not concerned about them, but aging core gameplay I can't.  

• Big_Smiley likes this

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

One Love Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:43 AM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 29 November 2017 - 04:45 AM.

Maybe feeling like sh*t was a bit harsh terminology, but when Euphoria was introduced it made going back to the 3D era difficult. I still play GTA IV on a regular basis and IMO it hasn't aged anywhere to the extent the 3D era GTAs did when they were almost 10 years old.

I can give graphics a pass because I'm not concerned about them, but aging core gameplay I can't.  
Yeah for sure. I totally agree with you on that part. Just not too long ago i posted in the "Things you hate most in GTAIII" thread and i explained in my post that recently a couple days back i was playing III on the PS2 with a few older cousins of mine while we waited for the rest of the family to arrive "It was during Thanksgiving" and we all noticed that the controls were clunky af. On auto-aim Claude was aiming all over the place during a six-star police chase. So III has aged horribly. After we died from taking random turns, right away we popped in SA. IV still has a fresh feeling compared to most 3D gta's. And obviously V's controls are still considerd "new".

Bare
  • Bare

mass debater

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

how dare you nerds call any gta overrated theyre all amazing

• Algonquin Assassin and Cryo The Hunter like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

GTA V: Huge improvement over snore (GTA IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:17 PM Edited by CGFforLife, 29 November 2017 - 03:21 PM.

I'm surprised they didn't call the GTA IV fans stupid poo, poo heads because I find it hard to believe either of those posts were written by someone older than 12.

I have a lot of respect for people like Mr Pink and other like minded individuals who put effort into their critiques of GTA IV without coming across as whiny and would value my time to read them, but really people like this are the reason everyone stereotypes GTAO players as immature asshats. And we're the bad guys apparently? lol.

Well. You're right

But these are not even better
Spoiler

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

I'm surprised they didn't call the GTA IV fans stupid poo, poo heads because I find it hard to believe either of those posts were written by someone older than 12.

I have a lot of respect for people like Mr Pink and other like minded individuals who put effort into their critiques of GTA IV without coming across as whiny and would value my time to read them, but really people like this are the reason everyone stereotypes GTAO players as immature asshats. And we're the bad guys apparently? lol.

Well. You're right

Spoiler

ok but can you understand sarcasm

• Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and CGFforLife like this

Ohhh123r
  • Ohhh123r

He's is Angry GTA Nerd...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:54 PM Edited by Ohhh123r, 01 December 2017 - 02:41 AM.

Overrated>GTA SA and GTA Online

Underrated>GTA Advance, GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA London both 1960 and 1969

• CGFforLife likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:12 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 30 November 2017 - 12:42 AM.

Well. You're right

Spoiler

I already explained to you in the "Why is GTA V hated so much" thread these were intended as tongue in cheek that even Chirovette acknowledged. 

If I intend for my comments to be taken seriously I don't stick a :p at the end. 

• Niobium and CGFforLife like this

Matty
  • Matty

• Australia

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:06 AM

Overrated - GTA Online. All it really does, in my view, is cobble together a whole lot of side activities, many of which are unrelated, and calls it a game. There is no real structure to it, and accessing the more in-depth content, unless one is willing to pay through the roof for Shark Cards, requires hours of grinding.

I'd also say that GTA San Andreas is overrated too due to the insistence of all too many people that it forever be the 'gold standard' of what a GTA title should be.

Underrated (by fans, video game critics were a lot more complimentary) - GTA IV. Sure, it didn't have jetpacks or the physical amount of side activities that GTA San Andreas had; but the side activities it does have are more fleshed out and all seemed to fit well within the context of the overall gameplay. Plus the main storyline is better in general due to the fact that it sticks to a core theme and doesn't go off in a tangent; and the missions themselves have more depth and structure to them too IMO.

• Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

Id also say that GTA San Andreas is underrated too due to the insistence of all too many people that it forever be the gold standard of what a GTA title should be.

Think you might have made a typo Matty.:p

• Matty, Big_Smiley and TommyPayne123 like this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Surely heaven waits for you.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Newsletter 2017 [GTAF Weekly]
    Best Poster in Movies / TV 2017
    Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Overrated: GTA Online, it has amassed a lot of fans over the course of time. GTA:O has made good money for Rockstar. Shark Cards and all that content. Leveling up becomes difficult at times. A lot of things and activities are a big waste as well.

San Andreas: GTA Game with the largest fan base. People think San Andreas serves to be sort of standard like Matty pointed out. They keep comparing the old and new games with it. TBH, I'm not even a huge fan of San Andreas. It's the large number of side activities and huge maps which has kept the hype going for over a decade.

Underrated: Stories (VCS & LCS). Both were released on non-PC platforms and till this date, they don't have any PC ports atleast. A lot of modders have tried bringing these to PC through the other game engines but nothing is 100% perfect. Rockstar doesn't care anyway. LCS got a mobile release and VCS is overdue on the subject.
  • Algonquin Assassin and //XP// like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

People think San Andreas serves to be sort of standard like Matty pointed out. 

Don't people also often keep holding IV as sort of standard in storytelling that every next game should also follow? So, why this bias against fans who think SA serves to be sort of standard in terms of complete package of having a great story that blends with the gameplay very well?

They keep comparing the old and new games with it. TBH.

Sorry to say, there are also people who keep comparing IV (even though there's only a 4 years gap between SA and IV's release) with not only V, but even with 3D era games, calling them sh*t and all, because it doesn't have physics. 

It's the large number of side activities and huge maps which has kept the hype going for over a decade

I could say the same for any other game that is popular. There's nothing wrong with the insistence of considering a particular game to be the 'gold standard' of what a GTA title should be. If something is good and loved by the fans then they obviously want to experience more, and much better. But, it is indeed wrong and unfair to keep targeting, and singling out only SA, while overlooking those who keep using other "overrated" GTA's as some "gold standard" that Rockstar must follow, even though the sales, and a large part of the community have rejected those "boring standards"

• CGFforLife likes this

Keano
  • Keano

Two Number Nines

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Can't think of an overrated GTA but GTA Liberty City Stories is definitely my underrated pick. One of my favorite games ever. The music, characters, etc was a blast to experience and being able to take the game anywhere as I got it for PSP. MY 2005/2006 was centered around this game.

• Cryo The Hunter likes this

Tommo91
  • Tommo91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Not sure if any are overrated, some are better than others sure.

But for underrated, GTA IV for me, loved by critics, but many friends and forums often say its the worst in the series. I think the story and atmosphere for this game are second to none. The story is on another level to any other GTA. Niko is a brilliant protagonist too.

• Algonquin Assassin and theGTAking101 like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

GTA V: Huge improvement over snore (GTA IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Overrated>GTA SA and GTA IV

But IV is your favorite game according to your profile
  • Ohhh123r likes this

Prasdana21
  • Prasdana21

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Overrated: GTA:Online.

Underrated: GTA Vice City Stories.

Yes, I'm with the majority.

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Overated: GTA Online, it was fun at first but it's now ruined by R* with their overpriced stuff and the casual fan base who likes to talk sh*t against everyone else. I don't understand why players tend to love this game over all the other GTA games. I love GTA V, I hate GTA Online.

Underated: Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories: Players always talk about the 3D trilogy then jump straight into GTA 4 without mentioning these two titles. In some aspect, GTA VCS is actually better than VC in one way or another. They also tend to give a bit of a backstory for various characters and how the city changed over the years.

GTA IV and EFLC: While GTA Forums and that Crowbcat video made some fans appreciate the game, most other players write it off as the worst game ever because it's not GTA San Andreas. It has flaws but it doesn't mean it sucks. It doesn't help that there's a lot of IV vs V fanboys that tend to ruin the images of both games and their fans.
  • Algonquin Assassin and theGTAking101 like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

GTA IV would've been underrated if it was 2008/pre-V years. But now everyone is appreciating it and is praising it to no end and it's almost rare to see a dislike on the game. It's the other way around with V, praised when released, hated now. And no, it's not only in this forum where IV is praised and V is criticized, but it's everywhere else.

simond1986
  • simond1986

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

overrated is san andreas underrated is chinatown wars it was so great and perfect for the ds

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

My bike is harmed, you will be harmed

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:22 PM

Overrated: Vice City, Ballad Of Gay Tony, V

Underrated: Liberty/Vice City Stories, The Lost And Damned

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:15 AM

GTA IV would've been underrated if it was 2008/pre-V years. But now everyone is appreciating it and is praising it to no end and it's almost rare to see a dislike on the game. It's the other way around with V, praised when released, hated now. And no, it's not only in this forum where IV is praised and V is criticized, but it's everywhere else.

The only thing I agree that GTA IV seems to get unanimous praise for is the story and characters. Anything to do with missions, core gameplay etc usually ends up with its haters letting their tears flow. It's quite amusing actually.

It's always been a divisive game. Everyone who's been a GTA fan for more than 10 years should know that. 

• Niobium likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

overrated: GTA V. people have criticized GTA Online for the microtransaction-simulator that it is, but they insist that the SP is a good game with a good campaign (blegh). at least GTA online is where all the content is.

underrated: TLAD. need i say more?

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:46 AM

overrated: GTA V. people have criticized GTA Online for the microtransaction-simulator that it is, but they insist that the SP is a good game with a good campaign (blegh). at least GTA online is where all the content is.

As flawed as GTA V is I'd still rather play it over GTAO. However it makes me worried for how RDR2 might turn out.

• Niobium likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:34 AM

As flawed as GTA V is I'd still rather play it over GTAO. However it makes me worried for how RDR2 might turn out.

that's fair. i don't want to always deal with people with bad taste in cars trying to kill me with sticky bombs either, but at least i could goof around with friendlies.

Ohhh123r
  • Ohhh123r

He's is Angry GTA Nerd...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:39 AM

Overrated>GTA SA and GTA IV

But IV is your favorite game according to your profile

Opps sorry, I forgot that was my favorite game, so I decide to edit my replies  :p

• Algonquin Assassin and CGFforLife like this

Timcatgt5
  • Timcatgt5

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:04 AM

Overrated: GTA V - Difficult to find a radio station with good music, missions don't offer much of a challenge, no single player additional content and even worse online maintenance.

Underrated: GTA Chinatown Wars - Available for mobile devices so I can play anywhere.

Has a large selection of activities with good rewards like drug dealing, firefighter, taxi driver, noodle run and ambulance missions.
  • Penguin Bob likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users