Overrated/Underrated GTA'S

92 replies to this topic
Penguin Bob
  • Penguin Bob

Penguin/VC fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:24 AM

Welp, which Grand Theft Auto do you think is overrated or underrated? For me: Overrated: none. Underrated: VCS and LCS

AlexGambino150
  • AlexGambino150

Humble Beast

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:05 AM Edited by AlexGambino150, 24 November 2017 - 01:06 AM.

Overrrated: San Andreas
Underrated: IV (Well, at least outside this forum)
  • Algonquin Assassin, Matty, CarloSpicyWiener and 3 others like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:09 AM

Overrated: GTA:Online.

Underrated: GTA III.

• R4gN0r0K, GrudgefromSanAndreas and Cryo The Hunter like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Money Power Respect

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:12 AM

Do you know what overrated even means? you said "none" so i gotta ask lol

Overrated:Gta SA & GtaO

Underrated:Gta LCS ,VCS & GtaA

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:24 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 24 November 2017 - 09:40 AM.

Overrated: GTAO. Just because something's popular doesn't make it great. 

Underrated: CTW and TLAD.

GTA IV doesn't really fit into the underrated category IMO, but for whatever reason it still seems to get blood pressures rising. None of the 3D era GTAs are underrated to me. They're too widespread loved to be "underrated".

• R4gN0r0K, Davve95, Niobium and 6 others like this

HeteroDahmer
  • HeteroDahmer

I was JosephStalin

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Overrated - San Andreas, I respect the hell out of San Andreas as one of the most ambitious games of its gen but the godlike pedestal it's been put on is ridiculous & unbearably obnoxious.

Underated - GTA 2 LCS & CTW

• Algonquin Assassin, Tycek and theGTAking101 like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

Overrated - GTA IV.

Underrated - GTA SA, especially from the story standpoint.

• SMACKED! and CoolMods like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:19 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 24 November 2017 - 10:20 AM.

Underrated - GTA SA, especially from the story standpoint.

Spoiler

You have no idea what the term "underrated" means do you? 

• t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m, jaljax, Danie122 and 1 other like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Am I allowed to have an opinion in this forum?

• t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m, SMACKED! and Yinepi like this

Cyber_Renaissance
  • Cyber_Renaissance

Lost in the Mix

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

GTA SA is way too overrated for its own good, too much circlejerking around its above average at best story and even more around CJ ruins what actual good this game has, which is plenty.

Now for an underrated GTA, I'd have to say most mobile versions, but especially Chinatown Wars. Although I've never played it, from what I saw and read about the game, it doesn't deserve the flack it gets at all.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Tycek and TommyPayne123 like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Am I allowed to have an opinion in this forum?

Don't avoid the question. It's not exactly a hard thing to answer.

P.S you can remove the "moderator" part next to my name in your disrespect list. I'm not a moderator anymore sir.

• theGTAking101 likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Overrated: San Andreas and GTA V (along with GTA:O)

San Andreas was great for its time and it's a milestone for PS2, which was barely able to run it anyway, but the status of the best GTA ever some people plastered on the aforementioned game is a bit annoying. For me GTA: VCS was already better than SA, not to mention IV.

Same goes for GTA V especially its Online component, which are considered as the next best thing in the world since sliced cheese, but in all honestly it's bug ridden, boring game with rather annoying microtransactions system advertised by Rockstar as all you need and want. Apart from financial success the game achieved only one thing - killed new Rockstar games for years to come.

Underrated: VCS and CTW.

Both were great games - VCS being to the ultimate GTA game and CTW one of the best games for DS and very solid product with great gameplay mechanics, but both are unloved for very similar fact - limited publishing, either for one manufacturer consoles (VCS for PSP and PS2) or mobile platforms (CTW for DS, cellphones and PSP).

• Algonquin Assassin, R4gN0r0K, Piggsy pls and 1 other like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

Overated  San Andreas, i dont hate the game for the time it was amazing what Rockstar did but i dont get why so many people treat it like god, i dont understand.

GTAV  graphically a good game but too much this game is god like SA, i dont get it

Underated  Liberty City Stories and i wish it hadnt been confined to PSP and PS2  it should have found its way on to XBOX and PC. Its a good game to play with plenty of Rockstar humour.

• Algonquin Assassin, Tycek and TommyPayne123 like this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

Overrated-GTA 5

Underrated-VCS and TLAD

• Payne Killer likes this

Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

Overrated - GTA V

Underrated - VCS and CTW
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas and Penguin Bob like this

TheSadisticOwl
  • TheSadisticOwl

Chromakey dreamcoat.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

Overrated - GTA V. 

Underrated - VCS. 

VCS made me feel like a crime lord more than VC did. I loved the racket system, even if it was pretty basic, but still, I love the game's story and I think Vic is also an underrated protagonist as much as Martinez is an underrated villain.

• Piggsy pls, Steezy., GrudgefromSanAndreas and 2 others like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

GTA V: Huge improvement over snore (GTA IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:03 AM Edited by CGFforLife, 25 November 2017 - 07:20 AM.

Overrated: GTA IV, EFLC and Online

Underrated: VCS, LCS, CW (V and SA in this forum)

Edit: These reviewer explain why IV is an overrated game, well atleast for me

Spoiler
  • Am Shaegar and Penguin Bob like this

Penguin Bob
  • Penguin Bob

Penguin/VC fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

Overrated: GTA IV, EFLC and Online

Underrated: VCS, LCS, CW (V and SA in this forum)

Spoiler

I have seen that review on a website before. BTW, i have thought about it and my overrated GTA is San Andreas. It's a cool game but the fanbase is annoying.

• Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101, jaljax and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:41 AM Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 25 November 2017 - 11:46 AM.

Spoiler

I'm surprised they didn't call the GTA IV fans stupid poo, poo heads because I find it hard to believe either of those posts were written by someone older than 12.

I have a lot of respect for people like Mr Pink and other like minded individuals who put effort into their critiques of GTA IV without coming across as whiny and would value my time to read them, but really people like this are the reason everyone stereotypes GTAO players as immature asshats. And we're the bad guys apparently? lol.

• Tycek, theGTAking101, Big_Smiley and 5 others like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:58 PM Edited by Piggsy pls, 25 November 2017 - 02:58 PM.

Overrated: GTA SA (good game, but the entire gaming community, not just GTA fans, treats this game like it's the undisputable god of all games).

GTA O (this whole EA/Dice and Battlefront II controversy made me realize that people are willing to give Rockstar a pass for doing sh*t that they would rage at other companies for doing. Not that EA doesn't deserve the hate mind you, but why the sudden widespread outrage at them for doing a shady business practice that Rockstar and T2 have been living off for years now?)

GTA VC (again good game but I don't really see anything special in it like others do).

Underrated: GTA LCS (I see why people may have been disappointed since it came after SA and was missing a ton of features, but for a PSP GTA I thought it was very solid).

GTA VCS (reintroduced some features from SA and revamped them alongside some new ones, good melee combat, Empire Building, liked the story. IMO it's way better than both VC and SA).

GTA CTW (f*ck it, this game is just plain fun; it's honestly one of the best games out there to just mess around the map doing odd jobs, not to mention drug dealing. And the story and characters are hilarious to me, it did a better job at being a more satirical game than V did to me).
  • Algonquin Assassin, Tycek, theGTAking101 and 5 others like this

Tao Cheng
  • Tao Cheng

Man I'm fuuuucked up!

• Members
  • China

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:44 PM Edited by Tao Cheng, 25 November 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Overrated: Vice City and that Tommy prick.
Underrated: III (bc Vice City overshadowed that game) and Chinatown Wars. Chinatown Wars reminded me why games like GTAIII was fun in the first place.

Edit: To the reviewer saying that GTAIV looks dull. It's supposed to look all gritty on purpose to match the dark theme amd environment.
  • Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and Penguin Bob like this

ProKiller93
  • ProKiller93

dunno

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

Overrated: SA, Online

Underrated: LCS and VCS

• Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101, Payne Killer and 2 others like this

TommyPayne123
  • TommyPayne123

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

Overrated: GTA Online. It is an absolute embarrasement. What was rockstar thinking turning their backs on their long-time fans with this? The amount of potential GTA V single player had if they had focused less on this with the microtransactions and sh*t is really just sad.
Underrated: All Mobile GTAs (excluding gta advance).
  • theGTAking101, Big_Smiley and J1M like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:16 PM Edited by ViceBoy69, 26 November 2017 - 06:22 PM.

CGforlife just makes you want to leave the forums and not come back, hes nasty and nobody can say anything about V or he nearly starts crying.

Christ ive had enough.

• theGTAking101 and eCola like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

Overrated:

GTA Online: This game is like 6 years old and is still buggy, broken, complicated mess and it shows how people give a pass to R*. Besides people on this forum, I rarely hear backlash about shark cards and this microtransaction game yet people bash EA for it solely. Not saying they don't deserve but it's high time people rage at R* for doing it because it'll only get worse in RDR and VI. But seriously, this game is f*cking horrible and doesn't offer anything to the amount of fun had in IV's MP, RDR's MP and hell, even SA's modded SAMP. 

GTA VC: Good game (Fourth favorite GTA game) but I personally feel VCS is the better of the two.

Underrated:

GTA VCS: One of the best GTA games out there. So underrated and more people need to get in on this. And f*ck R* for not releasing a mobile port for its 10 year anniversary. 

• Piggsy pls and Big_Smiley like this

Big_Smiley
  • Big_Smiley

One Love Forever

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:54 PM Edited by GTA_The_Series, 26 November 2017 - 09:55 PM.

Overrated: GTA Online. It is an absolute embarrasement. What was rockstar thinking turning their backs on their long-time fans with this? The amount of potential GTA V single player had if they had focused less on this with the microtransactions and sh*t is really just sad.
Underrated: All Mobile GTAs (excluding gta advance).

Definitely. GTAO gets way to much praise from its fans. The games f*cking trash simple as that IMO. And yes it's separate game from V. R* already did that. V had so much potential regarding it's long lost SP DLC abandoned by it's own developer. A shame...a freaking damn shame :dozing:

Underrated:

GTA VCS: One of the best GTA games out there. So underrated and more people need to get in on this. And f*ck R* for not releasing a mobile port for its 10 year anniversary.

Couldn't agree more. R* can go f*ck themselves and their sh*tty online. Never knew how something can change them so badly. Even ignoring a simple 10th anniversary tribute to VCS :angry:
  • TommyPayne123 likes this

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:31 AM

Overrated GTA: Any GTA game not named GTA: LCS, GTA VCS, or GTA Chinatown Wars.

Underrated GTA: The aforementioned games above.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Moderator 2017
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

Overrated: GTA SA (good game, but the entire gaming community, not just GTA fans, treats this game like it's the undisputable god of all games).

It is a good game indeed, but it hasn't aged well at all as far as I'm concerned. I have a feeling this holier than thou notion that gets peddled is by PC players who mod the crap out of the game which makes it easier to overlook its weaknesses in core gameplay that's been done way better in newer games.

• Piggsy pls and theGTAking101 like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Thug

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:37 PM Edited by ViceBoy69, 27 November 2017 - 01:37 PM.

Ive never really been into modding the games apart from at one time i tried changing a few cars in VC and GTA3  i had the files for KITT out of knightrider and added that  but otherwise my games are played as they where meant to be played.

I agree San Andreas is a good game a lot of stuff packed in there, but as you say it hasnt aged well and i think your right its the PC players who make it out to be the god of GTA but each to there own.

• Algonquin Assassin, Piggsy pls and theGTAking101 like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

It is a good game indeed, but it hasn't aged well at all as far as I'm concerned. I have a feeling this holier than thou notion that gets peddled is by PC players who mod the crap out of the game which makes it easier to overlook its weaknesses in core gameplay that's been done way better in newer games.
I don't think any of the 3D era games have aged well tbh. Mods really are what keep them alive.
  • Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and Yinepi like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users