Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which GTA had the best driving mechanics?

18 replies to this topic
Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

As the title says, which game had the best driving and why?

Which one had the worst?

In my opinion, I think IV had the best driving. At first it was hard for me but as I played more and more I started to get the hang of it, being able to drive at fast speed without ever crashing. I think it's the most realistic compared to the others.

The worst to me would be III. Although I think it was purposely done that way as to provide a challenge to players, cars are really easy to be blown up (especially towards the end of the game) and the ambulances and trucks tip over so easily, making the ambulance side mission very hard if you're not careful.

Bonus: SA had the worst flying mechanics, I was stuck on Torino's flying missions for MONTHS
  • Algonquin Assassin and jaljax like this

IndogamersPro
  • IndogamersPro

Busta

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

For me, GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City have great arcade-style driving mechanics.

But GTA IV wins for realism and GTA V sucks to keep both the arcade-style and realism.

GTA San Andreas flying mechanism isn't that bad, unless you're piloting a helicopter. Both GTA IV and V have a great helicopter mechanism

GTA San Andreas have great boating mechanism, GTA IV and GTA V didn't really do what GTA San Andreas does.

GTA San Andreas RC Flying mechanism is hell another different level, worst driving/piloting section ever in Video games history.

I stuck at Supply Lines forever and i usually skip that damn mission and focus more on storyline mission

• Steezy. likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by B Dawg, 3 weeks ago.

Best: IV, no doubt

Worst: It's a tie between Vice City and V for Cars, but V has without a doubt the worst motorcycle driving mechanics.

• Algonquin Assassin, jaljax and Steezy. like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • France

Posted 3 weeks ago

Driving is very pleasant in GTA Vice City and San Andreas brings at terrible regression.

• Steezy. likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 3 weeks ago

Obviously IV.
  • Algonquin Assassin, The Lundy, jaljax and 1 other like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Taking A Liberty

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Gta IV for realiism, but i also thought Vice City Stories made a little better improvement for the last 3D game.

• Steezy. likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

Probably going to sound like a broken record, but GTA IV easily. I don't even think it's that realistic to be honest. Just a great compromise being arcade and simulation. Simcade?

The 3D era feels too slot car like and GTA V whilst not exceptionally bad and better than other open world games just feels like the balance GTA IV had was lost in favour of more "racing" like physics like Midnight Club.

• Steezy. likes this

Emo_Amz
  • Emo_Amz

Crackhead

• BUSTED!
  • Antarctica

Posted 3 weeks ago

For me it was San Andreas, it's so much fun.  IV ruined that for me, trying to be 'realistic' but it really wasn't.  V was a return almost to the 3D era but still wan't quiet there I don't think.

• Steezy. and Am Shaegar like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

The best

-GTA IV in the HD era as it was great mix of arcade and simulation types of driving physics, giving a lot of fun just driving aimlessly around

-GTA: VCS the best physics in III era.

The worst

-GTA III, while not exactly bad for 2001, driving was a bit too slidey, which in combination with low durability of the cars was a bit annoying.

• Steezy. and Emo_Amz like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Cars = IV(TBoGT in specific);
Motorcycles = San Andreas;
Boats = V;
Aircrafts = V(though the constant turbulence is annyoing);
  • Steezy. likes this

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

Kill them assholes! Man, this is a good sandwich.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by MrPeteyMax, 3 weeks ago.

IV is superb for driving. I quite like San Andreas but that's usually when I play with framelimiter off. When you turn it off they get a bit slidey.

• Steezy. likes this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

F*CK ALL YA BUSTAS -Tupac Shakur (Crica 1994)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

IV big time. Driving bikes never felt so good in TLAD. Just feels grate passing on different bridges on a zombie listening to classic rock :^:
  • Steezy. likes this

Nathan T.
  • Nathan T.

italian mobster

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

For me, GTA IV. I really like its driving mechanics.
Now the worst is GTA Vice City, it's very easy and fast turning a car and this is very bad.
That's the reason why I want to play GTA IV on my PC yet.

• Steezy. likes this

Timcatgt5
  • Timcatgt5

Prankster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

Still playing GTA IV to this day simply because the driving mechanics is just too good. Feels realistic and requires some skill to take corners with accuracy and speed.

GTA San Andreas is good for arcade type mechanics. There's nothing wrong with driving an FCR-900 or an Infernus past a busy road and avoiding collisions.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Steezy. like this

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Is that even a question?

IV.

• Steezy. likes this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago

V for me. Driving feels slick and responsive, just the way I like it.

Going against the stream here, but I've been replaying IV these last few weeks and I forgot how horrendeous the driving was compared to V. Sure it feels more realistic, but with that it's also slower and heavier. Making a sharp turn for example will turn into the car slipping out of control nine out of ten times. And don't get me started on the bike mechanics. It feels like Niko covers himself in butter every time he hops on a bike, he slips off so easy. 

• Steezy. and Lahham like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Going against the stream here, but I've been replaying IV these last few weeks and I forgot how horrendeous the driving was compared to V. Sure it feels more realistic, but with that it's also slower and heavier. Making a sharp turn for example will turn into the car slipping out of control nine out of ten times. And don't get me started on the bike mechanics. It feels like Niko covers himself in butter every time he hops on a bike, he slips off so easy. 

This is why the driving in GTA IV isn't as good as it should have been. It was just badly implemented. Even worse are the bike physics.
Unfortunately, instead of taking the criticisms in the right spirit, the players are being blame for not knowing how to drive because it's challenging, and all, instead of blaming the developers for not implementing the driving mechanics correctly, without making the whole experience frustrating, and less enjoyable.
So, if I have to choose between the driving mechanics trying to resemble the realistic experience as close as possible, but unfortunately, badly implemented, versus the driving mechanics that is fun, and accessible, but not close to a realistic experience, then I'd certainly choose the latter for the simple reason that it's less frustrating, and I can enjoy driving without any troubles.
My choice is GTA SA for the best mechanics for the perfect mix of both realistic and arcade experience, without any serious issues.
  • Steezy. likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Algonquin Assassin, 2 weeks ago.

This is why the driving in GTA IV isn't as good as it should have been. It was just badly implemented. Even worse are the bike physics.
Unfortunately, instead of taking the criticisms in the right spirit, the players are being blame for not knowing how to drive because it's challenging, and all, instead of blaming the developers for not implementing the driving mechanics correctly, without making the whole experience frustrating, and less enjoyable.
So, if I have to choose between the driving mechanics trying to resemble the realistic experience as close as possible, but unfortunately, badly implemented, versus the driving mechanics that is fun, and accessible, but not close to a realistic experience, then I'd certainly choose the latter for the simple reason that it's less frustrating, and I can enjoy driving without any troubles.
My choice is GTA SA for the best mechanics for the perfect mix of both realistic and arcade experience, without any serious issues.

I guess you could write the programmers an angry letter telling them how to implement the physics. You sound like such an armchair expert.
  • Piggsy pls and Steezy. like this

TommyPayne123
  • TommyPayne123

Crackhead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

IV has the most fun physics and driving out of any GTA game ever made for me. Unless GTA VI brings back the physics of GTA IV, I'll likely never change my mind.
  • Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and Steezy. like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users