Photo

[GTAO] The Official Anti-grief/Anti-troll/Anti-tryhard strategy thread

12 replies to this topic
Dr.Rosenthal
  • Dr.Rosenthal

Police Mocker

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Dr.Rosenthal, 3 weeks ago.

First, I want to say that I've searched the forums for a similar thread, but only come across those that propose one strategy or another. There doesn't seem to be any thread that sums up all different strategies. Mods, if I'm mistaken or out of line here, please correct me.

Ok, so, we all know that it's not easy being a gentleman/-woman in the world of GTA Online. Serious players are more often than not having a hard time trying to play the game because overconfident, K/D-driven brats are given countless opportunities to mess with other people's sh*t and flush our precious work down the toilet using pussy-bikes or spawnkill-machines (aka jets).

On the other hand, of late I have come across several sessions with maybe 10 or so participants all doing CEO work, never interfering with each other's business. There clearly seems to be a sort of non-spoken agreement along the lines of "Do to others as you would have them do to you". A golden rule in life, so why not in GTAO? It's a shame that this game doesn't have a better built in system for this that would force overly aggressive players to spend, say four consecutive weeks of playtime being virtually gang-raped by NPC members of each and every gang in the game. Yes, every time they log on they would have to watch their character being assaulted, continuously. Also they should lose all their in-game purchases forever. There's really no limit to what these douchebags deserve. Ok I might be overreacting but you get my meaning.

A bit of background:

I have always been a cooperative player. Back in 2013 I used to pick people up and go on police-chases, robbing stores and doing getaway driving with complete strangers. For me, that's the bulk of GTA Online and exactly what makes it fun. Nowadays I might shoot down a helicopter if it's chasing you while you're doing I/E work even though I'm not in your organization or on my friends list. I do it because it makes me feel good to do good to others. And I know (and have become increasingly certain from reading these forums) that I am not alone in behaving this way. It's just that the retards cause so much harm online, and seem to exist in every session, so they become somewhat over-represented.

It is, always was, and forever will be much more rewarding to retaliate when someone has killed you for no reason, than it is to just attack someone for the sake of doing so or to increase ones K/D ratio (who even cares about K/D ratio?). I often find myself putting myself at risk just to find out whether another player is hostile or not. Most often it costs me my life, and a lot of the times I don't even think it's worth the effort to retaliate. It's a game. Who cares?

Anyway. I do care about my business though, and I do care about my hours invested being converted into dollars on my GTAO account. So it's just annoying when someone interferes with, say, me trying to finish Headhunter (said VIP work could take 1-2 minutes depending on the spread - with someone obstructing my job it might take up to 10 minutes which is a terrible waste of my precious time).

So, without further ado, I have decided to create this thread so that all seasoned/cooperative/friendly players will find strategies to combat these poor souls who, perhaps due to poor upbringing/mental disabilities/heavy substance abuse/physical abuse or otherwise, exhibit the urge to be a nuisance to others.

Ideally these strategies will make way for more Kumbayah-sessions and, simply put, a better GTA Online experience. Plus it's nice to give the finger to R* logic trying to deplete our funds to buy more shark cards. This is saying: "We play the game however WE want." And while it's safe in this regard to be in a "solo" public lobby, it's not really fun to be COMPLETELY alone in a session. Also, the game seems to discourage that because these sessions often have connection issues, which sucks when you're doing free roam jobs/IE/crates whatever. Simply put, it's not ideal.

Some strategies:

1. Agree between yourself and other organizations to Vote to kick whoever is using a weaponized jet or Oppressor aggressively. Simple: "You're not welcome. Leave." It's really easy too, just message the other players in session and write the name of the one behaving childishly, and they'll immediately understand what you mean and your reasons. They'll probably agree.

2. Call Lamar and mug whoever is offending you. Do this as often as possible. However, sometimes the mugger won't be able to reach the target. To counter this, one should call Lamar shortly after said griefer has been killed, making sure that he's on foot so the mugger can reach him. Also the mugger might steal the victim's vehicle which would sting. (thanks "Piro" & "flexcreator" for additional input)

3. If someone plays aggressively in an indiscriminate manner, follow them around and be a nuisance to them until they choose to leave (this requires time and patience and is not my first go-to solution, but if all else fails this might do the trick). This advice might however be a way of "feeding the troll" as he becomes the one who controls your activities. In my experience this advice works best with lower rank trolls.

Any victim of this treatment might, and probably will, enter passive mode. But if you're lucky they'll at least think that you're a force to be reckoned with, and thus leave you alone in the future. (thanks to "flexcreator" for additional input)

4. Drive your most expensive cars and provoke them to blow it up. When they do, call Mors Mutual, get a new one and repeat procedure. If nothing else it will drain their account pretty good.

5. If a player goes passive, set a bounty on them. Highlight them on the radar if you want to keep track. (thanks to "flexcreator")

6. You can disappear from the game without quitting the lobby. Off-the-radar -> start a random job, don't invite anyone, set matchmaking to Closed and wait in the lobby. At this point a griefer can't do anything to you - he can't kill you, he can't find you. And he can't waste your time - take a break from the game, do some stuff IRL, drink some coffee. I believe, the game can't kick for being afk in a race lobby.

After 5 min or so, you can get back and take the guy by surprise. A sort of hit-and-run, much better than going passive in my opinion, since it confuses the opponent. (thanks to "flexcreator")

7. Just ignore them. This might actually work, as some (maybe: most) trolls feed on your attention. Ignore them, go about your stuff and they'll realize they have no business with you. (thanks to "Mistermilan07")

I might add that I much prefer the cheapest possible methods. So no "stickies on my car and go kamikaze"-types of solutions, that's completely out of the question. At the very most I'll waste a few bullets. That's what they're worth.

That's all I can think of right now but I know there are plenty more strategies/tips that'll help. Please write out yours below and I'll add them to the list! Together we shall strive to free our sessions of mindless bullies!

I'm also looking for a good strategy to distinguish which players are friendly and not - the in-game Mental State is just not even near satisfying, so please advice if you have any ideas on that.

Cheers,

p.s. Those of you who will say "PvP is in the game's mechanic" just go f*ck yourselves. If you want PvP, go play CoD instead of harassing the true fans of this canon. Or at least, quick start a goddamn deathmatch. Either way you have no business coming near my cars in your jet while I'm doing IE, you spineless sack of peas.

EDIT(s): I will continue to update the list above to the best of my abilities and eventually probably remove all the nonsense on my own behalf, maybe stylize all this sh*t and make it a little more concise. Thanks for all the input!

• Kesha_F1, -KM- and Mistermilan07 like this

flexcreator
  • flexcreator

Homie

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by flexcreator, 3 weeks ago.

Nice thread. 

2. Call Lamar and mug whoever is offending you. Do this as often as possible.

Most of the times the mug won't be able to reach the target.

3. If someone plays aggressively in an indiscriminate manner, follow them around and be a nuisance to them until they choose to leave (this requires time and patience and is not my first go-to solution, but if all else fails this might do the trick).

How often does it work?

Most of them are hit-and-runners. A jet player will go passive as soon as you start following him in your own aircraft. This is not very effective and it actually adds to the satisfaction of the griefer  ("Lol, u mad") and further encourages such behaviour. This means, he accomplished his goal. These guys are seeking attention - if you follow them, you give them exactly what they want (I guess?).

4. Drive your most expensive cars and provoke them to blow it up. When they do, call Mors Mutual, get a new one and repeat procedure. If nothing else it will drain their account pretty good.

1) Plenty of those players glitched their money and don't care about the balance

2) Useless on PC, since there is no insurance drain

My strategies:

- If the player is killable (unaware of EWO) I just hop in the Jet and try to get as many kills as possible in a shortest period of time. He usually gets frustrated and quits the session.

- Sometimes, a player goes passive. I usually set a bounty on him, highlight on the radar and start minding my own business, but never leave my jet too far away (lol :p). I will take off I soon as see him near the pegasus spot

- You can disappear from the game without quitting the lobby. Off-the-radar -> start a random job, don't invite anyone, set matchmaking to Closed and wait in the lobby. At this point a griefer can't do anything to you - he can't kill you, he can't find you. And he can't waste your time -  take a break from the game., do some stuff IRL, drink some coffee. I believe, the game can't kick for being afk in a race lobby.

After 5 min or so, you can get back and take the guy by surprise. A sort of hit-and-run, much better than going passive in my opinion, since it confused the opponent.

The ones that hard to deal with are sniper-EWO-tryhards. I usually just get in a fight with them, go off-the-radar and start a random race hoping that it will keep them busy for a while. My character should quit the session without giving a notification to the player.

• Kesha_F1 and Dr.Rosenthal like this

Mistermilan07
  • Mistermilan07

Player Hater

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yeah nice post
I never shoot first
If they shoot I shoot back and then walk away regardless if i won or lost
I ignore griefers and tryhards. Ignore can make the devil cry.
  • Dr.Rosenthal likes this

Piro
  • Piro

Pilot // The Lazlow Show fan

• Members
  • None
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Photoshop Winner

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice thread. 

2. Call Lamar and mug whoever is offending you. Do this as often as possible.

Most of the times the mug won't be able to reach the target.

but when he can its super effective sometimes. Ive seen muggers steal hydras, helis and tanks.

Best way to do this is calling lamar just after killing someone. That way you know they are on foot.
If the timing is right you will get opportunity to:
- kill him again while his on the ground
- kill the mugger and steal money
- proxy his personal vehicle
  • Dr.Rosenthal likes this

Lance Mayhem
  • Lance Mayhem

Callous Lout

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Does using a proximity mine to destroy someone's vehicle earn you 'Bad Sport' status, or make you liable for their insurance claim?

It seems if I'm standing still with a proxy mine nearby and someone drives up to harass me, that's their own fault.

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 3 weeks ago

APC does good if you have a teammate.

Dr.Rosenthal
  • Dr.Rosenthal

Police Mocker

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 2 weeks ago

Does using a proximity mine to destroy someone's vehicle earn you 'Bad Sport' status, or make you liable for their insurance claim?

It seems if I'm standing still with a proxy mine nearby and someone drives up to harass me, that's their own fault.

I have yet to investigate this. I believe the one who uses proxies would be liable to pay the insurance claim and it would add to the Bad Sport status. I'm not entirely sure though.

APC does good if you have a teammate.

True, the APC is a very competent countermeasure indeed.

I got to add, I really, really recommend kicking unwanted players from the session. I usually try this whenever I'm in a session with maybe 5-10 participants and someone insists on terrorizing downtown with an Oppressor or travel across the map to blow up someone else's IE/deliveries. I gotta say it's very, very effective. Other players usually agree with you in wanting to have them gone.

A big plus is that it feels so damn good to slam the door shut in the face of the 'tards. Imagine if everyone always did this. There'd be no chickens picking easy kills, ever.

GtheF70
  • GtheF70

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Definitely agree with the annoy them if you can route.  I've found when they're in a land vehicle or on foot then using the weaknesses of passive mode is good.  Usually just "towing" police cars into them wherever they go is good to hack them off.  Although I did find driving the pink stretch limo round and round him, playing tunes on the horn and causing NPC drivers to go all over the place around him did particularly annoy one guy who'd been griefing several of us, enough for him to send some angry messages.  Made me laugh.

Ninja_Nicoya
  • Ninja_Nicoya

Skillz

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Best way to avoid getting killed or sabotaging your business/mission is to join or start a lobby full of friendly crew.
  • Kesha_F1 likes this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

I should add that there is a proper countermeasure for almost everything in the game now:

Jets < Explosive sniper rounds, Pyro, Rogue, Nokota, Hunter

Explosive Sniper rounds < Opressor(it's a smaller target and hard to score a hit)

Opressor < Vigilante

Vigilante < Fully Loaded Ruiner 2000

Fully Loaded Ruiner 2000 < Dive-bombing Jets

These are solo vehicles that you can effectively use to counter a griefer without using his own toy.

Now, onto griefers who are double teaming everyone in the same vehicle(driver/pilot + gunner):

Insurgent pickup < AA trailer with flak cannons, MOC trailer, dive-bombing jet, Fully Loaded Ruiner 2000, Opressor, Vigilante(hit and run, rinse and repeat);

APC < AA trailer with flak cannons, MOC trailer, dive-bombing jet, Fully Loaded Ruiner 2000, Opressor, Vigilante(hit and run, rinse and repeat)

Hunter(this one is a tough bastard, so you will need a lot of patience) < explosive Sniper rounds, dive-bombing jet.

Forget about using any homing missiles against a Hunter with gunner, it has chaff and flares which will laugh at your silly missiles.
  • JustCallMeNiko likes this

Cratoz
  • Cratoz

Angelripper

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 2 weeks ago

1) Plenty of those players glitched their money and don't care about the balance
2) Useless on PC, since there is no insurance drain

This.

I would also be cautious with this for another reason.
If the person who is attacking you is a CEO or MC President they can start missions that disable the insurance while not telling you that there is a job running (unless you try to start a mission yourself).
Haulage is a good example.
So always make sure to check if the troll (or whatever you want to call them) is a CEO, because you could easily just waste your time thinking you make them pay for your cars when you really aren't.

flexcreator
  • flexcreator

Homie

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Jets < Explosive sniper rounds

Thermal vision helmets  + Jets > Explosive Sniper rounds

Explosive Sniper rounds < Opressor(it's a smaller target and hard to score a hit)

Depends on a sniping skill.

Fully Loaded Ruiner 2000 < Dive-bombing Jets

Well, not always.

• Kesha_F1 likes this

Jonsnow
  • Jonsnow

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Great info, thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic