Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sorry if this is already a topic, but does anyone else unhappy about the fact that we can buy bombs and rocket launchers from a store legally?

25 replies to this topic
LucidLocomotive
  • LucidLocomotive

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by LucidLocomotive, 4 weeks ago.

It just seems a little too silly to me, as far as I know, California is supposed to have pretty strict gun control, doesn't it? They had a great system in GTA IV with the black market dealers and the friends that would come to you with truck fulls in the episodes titles. Is anyone else bothered by this? Or can anyone offer a way to rationalize it for the sake of my headcanon? Why would Rockstar make it like that when they already had a more realistic solution to having these weapons in the previous game?

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Thanksfully V got rid of all that boring realism from IV. To be honest, realism is the worst thing that ever happened to GTA, since it adds a layer of restriction to the games. San Andreas, a previous GTA game, left rocket launchers and homing RPGs laying around for the taking in easy to find locations.
  • CGFforLife likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago

I liked the idea of black market dealers and was surprised it wasn't utilised in GTA V. You could have Ammunation for the legal, street type of weapons and for military grade black market dealers and dealers like LJ, Armando and Terry in GTA IV/EFLC.

Hell the best thing about mobile dealers is calling them up so you can get to them close by which would be handy if you're in the middle of nowhere, low on ammo and in need of some more.

It's good to have the option at least and like I said I'm surprised this wasn't added to GTA V due to the expansive nature of the map where getting into firefights in the countryside is quite common being far from an Ammunation.

• B Dawg, Official General, DIEXEL and 2 others like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

GTA V:A Huge improvement over snore (GTA IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Why would I be unhappy, I really happy that we didn't have to see another realism bullsh*t that force us to buy an illegal weapon at discreet places

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 4 weeks ago

But you could call for weapons to be parked up nearby with perks, not exactly a discreet location having Terry pull up in a truck in the nearest alley.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 4 weeks ago

Thanksfully V got rid of all that boring realism from IV. To be honest, realism is the worst thing that ever happened to GTA, since it adds a layer of restriction to the games. San Andreas, a previous GTA game, left rocket launchers and homing RPGs laying around for the taking in easy to find locations.

Boring realism from IV? I don't recall being able to buy RPGs and Miniguns from Ammunations in Vice City or San Andreas. GTA IV, much like previous GTAs, had weapons all around the city to find.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 weeks ago.

Why would I be unhappy, I really happy that we didn't have to see another realism bullsh*t that force us to buy an illegal weapon at discreet places

I agree with you but I also agree with Algonquin that this could have been handled by offerering heavy weapons like the RL and Minigun through some Black Market dealer. Vice City had Phil, and that was fine. But also, Phil was only in one location in Little Haiti, so if you wanted to buy the RPG you needed to go to his trailer hideout or snag some from one of the many locations.

I like the convenience, however, of buying these weapons all in one location. I think V is a vast improvement in this regard. I personally don't need to "pretend" or roleplay that I cannot buy rocket launchers from gun shops. I think that is pretentious and unnecessary.

B Dawg, in Vice City, you could get Rocket Launchers respawning at TWO of your hideouts. In III, you could buy them from Ammunations late in the game and they spawned at your hideouts. So if you are really making some kind of realism, then please allow me to remind you that Domino's doesn't deliver RPG's to your home with your pizza in "under 30 minutes or you don't pay" so the absurdity of all these weapons spawning at your hideouts is a weak argument for realism anyway.

And by the way, speaking of "trying too hard to be realistic" and failing anyway? The whole whinge & bitch about Ammunations selling RPGs is laughable when you really think about it.  You've purchased a lot of grenades and assault rifles at your local gun shop this week, have you? And without so much as a license for firearms?

While we're on the subject, how many people walking around armed to the teeth these days can carry even just ONE of every class of weapon in their back pocket, plus THOUSANDS of rounds that would only fit comfortably in a warehouse, without even showing some kind of a bulge? You find any Sniper rifles and grenades and shotguns and RPGs in your neighborhood in real life while out for a Sunday drive?

The bottom line is that GTA V is better in this area for exactly this reason. The entire concept of being this well armed in literally ANY GTA GAME in history is so insane. At least GTA V is honest enough to embrace this completely.

I am very happy that GTA V offers convenience over some ridiculous notion of realism in a completely unrealistic situation and not insulting my intelligence by drawing such a  lunatic line in the sand as that.

Yeah, you can find a Rocket launcher in a pool in back of a Hotel in Vice Point, and the pizza guy delivers them to your hideouts (several of them, not just one!) and every ten minutes so they can respawn over and over again, "But, hey, don't worry all you realism-Sim-Junkies, because you can't buy them in the same gun shop you by assault weapons and explosives in. Just go look for one in in the airport, by a gas tank near the water, right out in the open. Because obviously nobody else will find it there but you!

Hahahahahaha the old realism chestnut applied to sandbox weaponizing.

I love it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• kidtwist81 likes this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago

idk it's great to get all weapons at one place "legally" but for roleplay purpose it's again weird at the same time, especially advanced military railgun

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Coming to think about whilst it doesnt necessarily bother me how easy it is to obtain these crazier type of weapons Ive always found it somewhat ridiculous for example you can buy a muskett that some Civil War soldier probably used over 150 years ago, but you cant buy a simple Molotov.

Thats always puzzled me. I know theyre in the game (because they have a spawn location according to guides), but Ive never actually used one. Its just kinda funny logic.

Oh you want to buy a rail gun? No problem, but a Molotov f*ck you buddy.:p

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Coming to think about whilst it doesnt necessarily bother me how easy it is to obtain these crazier type of weapons Ive always found it somewhat ridiculous for example you can buy a muskett that some Civil War soldier probably used over 150 years ago, but you cant buy a simple Molotov.

Thats always puzzled me. I know theyre in the game (because they have a spawn location according to guides), but Ive never actually used one. Its just kinda funny logic,

Oh you want to buy a rail gun? No problem, but a Molotov f*ck you buddy. :p

Yeah I hear you on that one!

I mean, I have literally never understand why Rockstar always, in every single GTA game, draws some completely arbitrary line in the sand like that. And V is not alone in that, either. I think Saints Row handles this well, Just buy whatever the hell you want from the gun shop and, by all means, have a f*cking blast!

I have never understood the bizarre hoops that Rockstar devs jump through to create some ridiculous notion of random realism in a completely and totally unrealistic situation.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Thats always puzzled me. I know theyre in the game (because they have a spawn location according to guides), but Ive never actually used one. Its just kinda funny logic,
Oh you want to buy a rail gun? No problem, but a Molotov f*ck you buddy. :p

Yeah I hear you on that one!

I mean, I have literally never understand why Rockstar always, in every single GTA game, draws some completely arbitrary line in the sand like that. And V is not alone in that, either. I think Saints Row handles this well, Just buy whatever the hell you want from the gun shop and, by all means, have a f*cking blast!

I have never understood the bizarre hoops that Rockstar devs jump through to create some ridiculous notion of random realism in a completely and totally unrealistic situation.

I don’t get it either Chiro. It probably has more to just being an oversight rather than anything intentionally damaging.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

With the Molotov, maybe, Algonquin.

But in all other GTA games except III, they seem to really make it a thing to add artificial realism to a ridiculously unrealistic scenario.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

@ChiroVette

I don't understand your characterization of being allowed to buy a 150-yr-old musket but not a molotov as forcing "artificial realism" into an unrealistic scenario.

Clearly, the availability of either a Civil War-ear firearm or a molotov cocktail at the local gun store is not realistic, and neither are the imposed purchasing restrictions. This system is not an attempt at realism, but an attempt at a decidedly video-gamey progression system. It is wholly artificial and not at all realistic.

Far Cry 3, as just another example, does this by making weapons available only after activating towers. I don't like this system, precisely because it is arbitrary and unrealistic. I would prefer a more realistic system, in which access to weapons is based, e.g., on your available funds and who you know.

• Official General likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

@ChiroVette

I don't understand your characterization of being allowed to buy a 150-yr-old musket but not a molotov as forcing "artificial realism" into an unrealistic scenario.

Clearly, the availability of either a Civil War-ear firearm or a molotov cocktail at the local gun store is not realistic, and neither are the imposed purchasing restrictions. This system is not an attempt at realism, but an attempt at a decidedly video-gamey progression system. It is wholly artificial and not at all realistic.

Far Cry 3, as just another example, does this by making weapons available only after activating towers. I don't like this system, precisely because it is arbitrary and unrealistic. I would prefer a more realistic system, in which access to weapons is based, e.g., on your available funds and who you know.

I never once mentioned the musket. Please talk to Algonquin.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

@ChiroVette

I'm not talking about the weapons themselves, but the way in which they are made available. It looks like I misunderstood the issue that you were discussing.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Let's be real here, the reason why every store is now an Ammu-Nation is so it's easy to find newly added guns for GTAO. If it was like IV or suggested above where multiple stores could've been used, it'd be too confusing for the Online fans and they'd just complain that reskinned pistol 18 is not in the Ammu-Nation near their cribs.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 weeks ago.

@ChiroVette

I'm not talking about the weapons themselves, but the way in which they are made available. It looks like I misunderstood the issue that you were discussing.

Ah ok, got it. Thanks for clearing that up! ;)

Let's be real here, the reason why every store is now an Ammu-Nation is so it's easy to find newly added guns for GTAO. If it was like IV or suggested above where multiple stores could've been used, it'd be too confusing for the Online fans and they'd just complain that reskinned pistol 18 is not in the Ammu-Nation near their cribs.

That's a good point as well, Ash. But let me also be clear that my comments on this issue of absurd realism in this situation are really more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. While I don't want to put words into Algonquin's mouth, I suspect the same is true for him as well.

Videogame realism is an absolutely absurd topic to begin with, and I can prove it, too.

For all my complaints about IV being "too realistic," is it truly realistic? I mean is it even remotely believable, outside of a videogame, for a character to get off the boat from one of the countries in the former Soviet Union, and in "100 hours of gameplay" have several apartments, over a million dollars, connections up the wazoo, and access to the most incredible weapons on the planet, with the ability to hide thousands of bullets and at least 10-20 mortal shells and grenades on his person without so much as a bulge in his pocket? Can it really be considered realistic when Niko (or Johnny Kay or Luis) manage to kill 1,000 cops on a rampaging run through the streets, then the cops magically forget about him/them because he manages to leave the neighborhood or go to a paint shop?

The whole discussion about actual realism is ridiculous lol

I think what people should say, like me when I complain about IV or others complaining that V isn't realistic enough, is that the games "don't feel realistic to them," or "IV feels too realistic to me."

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Then we should not focus on realism here, but immersion, which I think is a better word to use, adding extra detail to the world you're in, it'd be believable if Ammu-Nation only sold hand guns and shotguns and basic rifles where as black market stalls or Street traders could hook up the heavier stuff.

Especially as it could've fit in with Trevor's side missions, the more gun running you do, the more weapons you "import" into the black market of LS.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Then we should not focus on realism here, but immersion, which I think is a better word to use, adding extra detail to the world you're in, it'd be believable if Ammu-Nation only sold hand guns and shotguns and basic rifles where as black market stalls or Street traders could hook up the heavier stuff.

Especially as it could've fit in with Trevor's side missions, the more gun running you do, the more weapons you "import" into the black market of LS.

I always felt that Trevor should have had a lot more weapon-trafficking missions. I would have also have liked to see a lot more use of the meth-business he had with Trevor Phillips Industries. I honestly think that Online could have been the best thing to happen to this game because of it being so well fleshed out and seamlessly integrated into the game. But the problem is that Rockstar turned it into a f*cking cancer by abandoning all the people (us customers) who helped them make GTA great by sticking with the franchise like a religion for 16 years now. I honestly believe (though I have no proof) that the intent was to release an awesome full game (which they did) and then add to it incrementally, to give V all the things that many of its staunchest critics complain about as being missing.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I think that they are making so much money off of Online, and the work to profit ratio is so freaking low, that even though it would be the best thing for us and the game to add  more SP, it is a lot less cost effective than re-skinning crap every few weeks and pedaling shark cards.

But yeah, immersion is probably a better word, I agree. Now if we could get some basic consensus on what constitutes more immersion or a loss of immersion, we might actually have something. lol

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Ok the last 4 posts I've had to remove have really been nothing more than off topic, potential for argument nonsense. Stick to the thread or don't post at all thanks.

• ChiroVette likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Nope. I find it more difficult to believe that none of the black market dealers have a silenced weapon to sell in Liberty City? In IV the players are forced to use only loud weapons even under such terror threats? As such, those underground shops end up being no different than an ammunation store seen in prev. games, thus I don't find it "unrealistic" about V selling heavy, or loud weapons, either.

The cops aggression might explain the strict gun control logic here, but I'm just making a guess.

• ChiroVette and CGFforLife like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Official General, 4 weeks ago.

I liked the idea of black market dealers and was surprised it wasn't utilised in GTA V. You could have Ammunation for the legal, street type of weapons and for military grade black market dealers and dealers like LJ, Armando and Terry in GTA IV/EFLC.

Hell the best thing about mobile dealers is calling them up so you can get to them close by which would be handy if you're in the middle of nowhere, low on ammo and in need of some more.

It's good to have the option at least and like I said I'm surprised this wasn't added to GTA V due to the expansive nature of the map where getting into firefights in the countryside is quite common being far from an Ammunation.

What you suggested for V would have been the best scenario for more heavy-duty arsenal. It's not a big issue or hindrance to my gameplay of V, but I'd have very much preferred it. 

The idea of using black market arms dealers to buy guns in IV was perfect, because it was very realistic due to NYC having very strict gun control laws in real life. You will never find guns stores like Ammu-Nation in NYC just openly like that, never. Yes, its only a game, but GTA has always prided its success in offering the player some semblance of realism for gameplay in an open-world environment. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

This is just personal preference, but another thing I like about the black market dealers is physically being able to handle the weapons before purchase. It’s more immersive to me than just floating in mid air from a menu.

It’s only a minor thing, but those details can make a lot of difference.
  • Official General and Steezy. like this

Steezy.
  • Steezy.

Dimension Shifter

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Honestly, I think it would have been cool to include both Ammu Nation, black markets, and meeting up with weapons dealers/friends with guns to buy things from the trunk of their vehicle. In addition to that I'd have also liked to have the Ammu Nation Online feature that Chinatown Wars had, where you can order guns to get sent straight to your house, and even pay extra for a membership that allowed you to buy more heavy duty weapons.

So it'd go something like this:
Ammu-Nation stores: Sells the basic common weapons, bulletproof vests, tear gas, knives, and a few other weapons that would seem fitting for a gun store. This is also the only place where you can modify/customize weapons.

Ammu-Nation Online: Purchase the same things from the store except online. It gets sent to your safehouse and takes the money off whatever's stored in the bank. It's a faster way, and is helpful especially when you're no where near a store, or if you want to multitask. You can also find good deals online as well sometimes instead of paying the same price all the time at the store. You can also purchase the Fully Cocked membership, which will allow you to purchase more heavy duty weapons that aren't sold at the store.

Black Market: Illegal weapons dealers scattered around the map in secluded areas. You can buy weapons that Ammu-Nation doesn't sell, such as molotovs, brass knuckles, gas container, various other melee weapons such as bats, crowbars, katanas, machetes,etc, and they also sell all of the heavy duty weapons that you can buy online, however they'll be slightly more expensive than how much they cost online.

Dealers via car trunk: These can either be a friend who sells guns like Little Jacob, or perhaps a random encounter where if you help them they'll give you their number to call should you need guns. This weapon dealer(s) is different, in that he sells more unique, rare weapons that aren't bought or obtained anywhere else. These would be like the weapons from the GTAO updates. Or maybe he can also sell like already specially customized/modded weapons, like a platinum Uzi that has armor piercing bullets or something like that.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

I see that restriction as a unique way to be immersed within the world in such a way that San Andreas and V lack.
  • Official General and LucidLocomotive like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I see that restriction as a unique way to be immersed within the world in such a way that San Andreas and V lack.

I understand that. And this is, that old chestnut of "realism" adding to immersion for some, but not others. Some people, like yourself, find realism more immersive, and are distracted by things that are unrealistic. Others find realism a distraction from being immersed in the game because it makes things seem restrictive and cumbersome to us. It really is a matter of personal preference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users