Photo

GTX 1070 Gets very hot!

55 replies to this topic
ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 4 weeks ago.

Hey, I have a GTX 1070 which I OCed yesterday. It was my first time OC'ing, and I think that might have something to do with it. The safe temp for a 1070 is 83 degrees, and while playing Mafia III on max settings 60 FPS, the temp goes as high as 82. My case is a CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite, and my PC is watercooled. This is my custom fan curve:

cvet81C.png

Noale
  • Noale

I DID NOT HIT HER I DID NOT OH HI MARK

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Which card do you have? Brand? Cooler type?

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I have a GeForce GTX 1070. Cooler type is watercooling.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Noale, 4 weeks ago.

Oh I was asking specifically which 1070 (such as Windforce, AERO, EVGA ACX, etc). Since different vendors have different style heatsinks and some are absolute crap at cooling. But since you're on water, that matters a lot less.

How's the airflow in your case? Is your watercooling setup running properly? Worst case, your card just handles temps bad. I've had a few CPUs and GPUs  run at horrible temps no matter what I did, sometimes it's just bad luck.

Around 80C should still be okay by the way. It's a little hot yes, but they can take it. Although if you're water, I would expect lower temps.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Oh I was asking specifically which 1070 (such as Windforce, AERO, EVGA ACX, etc). Since different vendors have different style heatsinks and some are absolute crap at cooling. But since you're on water, that matters a lot less.

How's the airflow in your case? Is your watercooling setup running properly? Worst case, your card just handles temps bad. I've had a few CPUs and GPUs  run at horrible temps no matter what I did, sometimes it's just bad luck.

Around 80C should still be okay by the way. It's a little hot yes, but they can take it. Although if you're water, I would expect lower temps.

Oh sorry I'm new to PCs, it's an Nvidia. The card itself is fan cooled I think, but the PC is watercooled, if you know what I mean. I dunno how else to explain. Whether my setup is running properly is beyond me, this was built by a company, not me.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Do you know the model of the card? In any case, I wouldn't worry about the current temperature. The company that built it for you might have stuck a reference design/blower cooler on there, which would lead to the higher temperatures. 

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Model as in 1070? Or else I dunno, sorry. The card wasn't built, the PC was.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Noale, 4 weeks ago.

This 1070

14-487-248-S99.jpg

is different from this 1070

1200px-NVIDIA-GTX-1070-FoundersEdition-F

and also different from this 1070

GX403AS_142493_800x800.jpg

Depending on which type of GTX 1070 your builder put in your PC, that could be the reason behind the higher temps. Typically the cheaper blower style cards will run hotter. (The middle photo is a blower style).

Here's a link to many different 1070s. Your builder could have put any one of these into your PC.

https://www.newegg.c...Id=1&Submit=ENE

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Andreaz1, 4 weeks ago.

This is just painful at this point. 82C is the max temp the Founders Edition cards are set to reach. It's not really a temperature you want to be reaching but it's not really immediately dangerous. It's completely impossible to say anything more than that as you have no idea what you've done which means we don't either and we don't have a hope in hell of helping you.

Can you honestly answer this: Why do you keep doing this when you have absolutely no clue what you are doing? You don't. Even. Know. What. Card. You. Have! If it's a Founders Edition you shouldn't be overclocking at all as that cooler won't be able to handle it at all. Saying you have a 1070 is like saying you have a BMW. It doesn't narrow things down at all, there are literally more than 70 different models of the 1070: https://pcpartpicker...all-list/#c=369

The absolute first rule of any kind of overclocking is to know what you are getting yourself into and since you don't you should just reset everything you've done in Afterburner until you do.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

I didn't know there were different types of 1070s! Why do I do these things? Because I want to try, and hopefully learn things along the way! You think I don't know sh*t about PCs now? (Which you're absolutely correct) well then you would have hated me about 4-5 months ago! Besides, in the overclocking guide JayzTwoCents never said anything about there being different types of models. I think mine is like the one from the pic in the middle.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 4 weeks ago.

your case only have radiator support on the front, and you are watercooling the Cpu only (?)  you Gpu is cooled with fans (?)

are the fans pushing air to the inside of the case or to the outside ?

if you are sending the hot air inside you are sending hot air into the fans of the graphics card, and ambient temperature is the most important factor

I think mine is like the one from the pic in the middle.

82 is high, but with a "blower style" i guess that is to be expected

ZzT7pml.jpg

i can see that you are pushing the Gpu, if you feel that the temps are high, you can tone down the settings

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

your case only have radiator support on the front, and you are watercooling the Cpu only (?)  you Gpu is cooled with fans (?)
are the fans pushing air to the inside of the case or to the outside ?
if you are sending the hot air inside you are sending hot air into the fans of the graphics card, and ambient temperature is the most important factor

I think mine is like the one from the pic in the middle.

82 is high, but with a "blower style" i guess that is to be expected

ZzT7pml.jpg

i can see that you are pushing the Gpu, if you feel that the temps are high, you can tone down the settings
Ok.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's boosting much too high for a stock cooler. You'll only get peak performance for a short while before it starts cutting boost and voltage to avoid overheating. Dial back the core clock 100MHz.

Have you done anything with memory clocks? Maybe bump them slightly.

Blaze
  • Blaze

***SUICIDE ALPS FOREVER***

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 4 weeks ago

I didn't know there were different types of 1070s! Why do I do these things? Because I want to try, and hopefully learn things along the way! You think I don't know sh*t about PCs now? (Which you're absolutely correct) well then you would have hated me about 4-5 months ago! Besides, in the overclocking guide JayzTwoCents never said anything about there being different types of models. I think mine is like the one from the pic in the middle.

there is no definitive guide for ocing, different people get different results based on cooling/airflow - i could only get my cpu to 4ghz stable, maybe 4.2 at a push whereas others with similar setups can get 4.4 stable or higher. all depends on what works for you; the 1070 boost clock iirc is something around 1700mhz and boosting to 2k as sivis said is far too high for a blower cooler, maybe on an aftermarket revision of the card you could do it but not the founders edition so definitely dial that back and probably do a little more research into oc'ing

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Dial back the core clock 100MHz.

Have you done anything with memory clocks? Maybe bump them slightly.

How much is 100MHz?

And yes, I've bumped up the memory heaps. This is Afterburner after I adjusted it, just note I haven't tested it yet, and when I do, it won't be in Heaven, it'll be in their new benchmarking software. Have I turned it down too much, or not enough?

Kj8XTPI.png

EDIT: I just tested it:

During the test:

4bmlfze.png

Test results:

kp5RP4b.png

As you can see, my FPS is very low.

After a second test:

jbGiBgU.png

EgA9Ixz.png

Is it just me, or are the results worse now?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

Your temps seem better, but if you don't know what 100MHz clock speed is when the third column in afterburner clearly says "Core Clock (MHz)" then I don't really-know how you can possibly understand the implications of what you're doing and should stop entirely.

Yes, the results of this OC are likely to get marginally worse than the first one. You're sacrificing some outright performance for stability. But in reality your comparison is meaningless as you're using two completely different benchmarks. Unigine 2 is much, much tougher as a benchmark than 1.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Your temps seem better, but if you don't know what 100MHz clock speed is when the third column in afterburner clearly says "Core Clock (MHz)" then I don't really-know how you can possibly understand the implications of what you're doing and should stop entirely.

Yes, the results of this OC are likely to get marginally worse than the first one. You're sacrificing some outright performance for stability. But in reality your comparison is meaningless as you're using two completely different benchmarks. Unigine 2 is much, much tougher as a benchmark than 1.

So uhh.... I should stop overclocking until I get a better understanding? Well alright if you say so. If that's what's best.

And by worse I meant my first unigine 2 test scored 3697, snd the second one scored 3691.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's within the margin of error. Leave things as they are, keep an eye on temps, and if you're still seeing it hit 82 then come back.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's within the margin of error. Leave things as they are, keep an eye on temps, and if you're still seeing it hit 82 then come back.

So leave em' as the how they were in the second test, or revert them to stock?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

As they are in the second test.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

As they are in the second test.

OK.

Edit: After playing some Mafia III again, it reached 82 degrees...again:

JNbHNQs.png

3TUGdbt.png

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

Drop core clock down to +125, memory clock down to +100 and see if it happens again.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 4 weeks ago

82 is a bit steamy for Pascal. It would have been acceptable for a previous gen NVIDIA card. I think my old 980 Ti ran at similar temperatures with the maximum overclock possible. Pascal shouldn't run that hot. Not even on the reference cards.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 4 weeks ago.

how is the airflow inside the case? and how are the temperatures on stock ?

he mentioned the pc being watercooled and i guess he have a radiator on the front cooling the cpu, if it is pushing hot air inside he can make the fan go 100% and it wont matter

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Dealux, 3 weeks ago.

It sounds like he has an aftermarket PC which makes that kind of unlikely. Other than that possibility the airflow in a case doesn't influence GPU temperatures much. I think LTT did a video on this and they basically shoved a whole bunch of crap in a case and the temps barely even flinched.

But how could you mount a radiator backwards though?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

But how could you mount a radiator backwards though?

not the radiator but the fans that are in it, you can set the fans to push the air the way you want it, going into the case or pushing it out

Spoiler

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 3 weeks ago.

After playing some more Mafia III with sivispacem's suggestions, the GPU stayed around 78-79 most of the time, until it finally reached 81. I didn't play for very long, so it may have reached 82 again if I was to play longer.

7ELcr3I.pngHere's a pic of my PC. Blurry as all hell, but that's the best I can do.

PL9NhVM.jpgEWJqRqQ.jpgAfter playing some more, it finally reached 82:

kil4kvK.png

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 3 weeks ago

That's a slightly healthier boost clock for a reference cooler GPU.

Is there any chance you can tell us exactly what model of 1070 you've got (or post up some detailed pics of the card), or show us the effective (IE not boosted) clock speed settings? It occurs to me that it might already be overclocked somewhat from the factory.

Blaze
  • Blaze

***SUICIDE ALPS FOREVER***

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think he has the KFA2 card.

1491976-n0.jpg

It also looks like airflow in that case could be odd since from the pictures it looks like a 240mm AIO mounted in the front?

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 3 weeks ago.

I just benchmarked again, and holy sh*t was it smooth! Last time I benchmarked, I got around 25-30 FPS, now I got 60-70 FPS! As for the GPU model, I think it's a GP104, according to Superposition.

ArCNQ4Y.pngIt's strange how I got more FPS this time round when my core clock was higher last time.

I think he has the KFA2 card.

1491976-n0.jpg

It also looks like airflow in that case could be odd since from the pictures it looks like a 240mm AIO mounted in the front?

You could be correct sir. That GPU looks almost identical to mine + the GeForce writing is in Red not Green, although that one has range of colours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users