Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is it possible to play through this game without getting shot? Is it impossible to strategize in gunfights? Bulletholes on character? [Single Player]

8 replies to this topic
LucidLocomotive
  • LucidLocomotive

Gouranga!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

In Grand Theft Auto IV, you could take your time with each and every shootout/gunfight, you could strategize and play it cinematically and carefully and do it without getting shot at all, and even if you did get shot you could just pretend it didn't happen in-universe because Niko wouldn't have a bullet hole in his body.

Now in GTA V it seems nearly impossible to get through a gunfight without getting hit at least once. They are so fast-paced and always have at least 5-10 enemies all out in the open at ONE time, and then one piece of cover for your character, so there doesn't seem to be any way to plan it out other than just pop out of cover to kill one guy at a time while getting sprayed by everyone else each time you pop out to do so. The enemies can even hit you while you're in cover, and the blind fire still leaves you vulnerable, unlike in IV.

And it breaks the immersion SO much when you are shot at and a big cloud of blood comes off and Michael/Franklin/Trevor are covered in bullet holes. My question is, is there any way to avoid getting shot? What kinds of strategies have you guys come up with? And does anyone else share my opinion on how annoying it is to see the protagonist riddled with bullet holes without it seeming to phase them? Did rockstar do this on purpose, or was it just too difficult to program the bullet holes to show up on enemies but not the player?

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Darkshadows
  • Darkshadows

Boring guy

• Members
  • Colombia

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:15 AM

Hmm taking damage is a big part in every GTA. Maybe it's possible to do it but i'm not sure (specially with the rapid fire NPCs)

If it's impossible then just do the lethal points challenge, if you get shot in the heart, face etc then you must restart the game (shotguns are almost instant kill) and if you get shot in the arm then you can only use one handed weapons while the hole is there. This is the real challenge for masochists!

The Senate
  • The Senate

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:12 AM Edited by The Senate, 08 December 2017 - 07:59 AM.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that likes to play GTA without getting shot. I hate how dead eye accurate the AI is in GTA V. You stick your arm out for a millisecond and they shoot you in the blink of an eye. I found that their weapons dont even have to be completely drawn and pointed at you to shoot you.

My main strategy while in a gun fight is corner shooting. Its basically where you take a piece of cover that is head height or a wall where I have a right side view of what's in front of me and strafe in and out of cover or wait till the AI runs towards me so that I have the first shot.This is a great tactic for weapons that are shot from the hip like the minigun or micro smg since you dont even have to expose your body much.

Sometimes running and aiming can throw off the AI in certain scenarios but will not work all the time. I dont really like using the basic button cover system because it exposes a lot of your body and takes longer for you to aim your weapons compared to corner shooting where you only expose your arms. Just wait for them to rush you and come into your line of sight first.

Hope that isn't too hard to understand
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

Here we go, another day, another post, starting from "In GTA IV you could do this, and that".

The reason I find it annoying is because, a lot of such posts are just made up complaints with the false notion that the player couldn't enjoy the same experience in V, but only in IV.

Saying that "each and every shootout, you could strategize and play it WITHOUT getting shot AT ALL" in IV is, clearly, WRONG.

From my experience, I find V shootouts (not all, but many interesting one's) quite open ended to strategize, and enjoy. I don't think it is possible to clear the whole campaign w/o getting a single shot, or injury on the body, but I'd say, it's very much possible to take least amount of damage during the entire story of V than in IV, which was quite a difficult task to achieve, not because the game was challenging, but because of the wonky cover system (V has improved greatly, and made it smooth), slow on foot movements, sluggish animations, and more importantly, weapon switching felt a bit slow in IV than in V, which takes away precious, extra little time, to make the most out of the area in shooting down the enemies as quickly as possible.

Also, what do you mean by this "in-universe" thing? I didn't get that?

• ChiroVette and CGFforLife like this

Cheatz/Trickz
  • Cheatz/Trickz

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

No fu*king way is that possible. During gunfights, the AI hitscan is constantly trained on the player so that as soon as the protagonist is exposed it registers the hit immmediately. Add in the almost non-existent spread of gunfire and you can see how the system is flawed.

Sometimes it's so pinpoint that i'm pretty sure the game just draws hitscan lines from thin air in order to hit you from a place where an enemy can't. This is definitely the case with a cop helicopter shooting up your car, popping car tires from around corners, and the on-foot cops landing shots despite you driving by at 100mph. Those bullets hitting the car too, they're clearly canned effects and not from the heli at all.
  • Algonquin Assassin and gunziness like this

Zenar
  • Zenar

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

In some missions you need to control three protagonists one by one. The ones you didn't control definitely get shot and have bullet holes over them. You can see when you switch them.

Deadman2112
  • Deadman2112

<i> C U, you filthy shoe thieving shoe thief!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

Not getting shot?
I would have to imagine that would be an extremely difficult task.

...making it through the whole game without dying?
That sounds like a much more realistic goal.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:06 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 09 December 2017 - 11:09 PM.

Here we go, another day, another post, starting from "In GTA IV you could do this, and that".

The reason I find it annoying is because, a lot of such posts are just made up complaints with the false notion that the player couldn't enjoy the same experience in V, but only in IV.

Saying that "each and every shootout, you could strategize and play it WITHOUT getting shot AT ALL" in IV is, clearly, WRONG.

From my experience, I find V shootouts (not all, but many interesting one's) quite open ended to strategize, and enjoy. I don't think it is possible to clear the whole campaign w/o getting a single shot, or injury on the body, but I'd say, it's very much possible to take least amount of damage during the entire story of V than in IV, which was quite a difficult task to achieve, not because the game was challenging, but because of the wonky cover system (V has improved greatly, and made it smooth), slow on foot movements, sluggish animations, and more importantly, weapon switching felt a bit slow in IV than in V, which takes away precious, extra little time, to make the most out of the area in shooting down the enemies as quickly as possible.

Also, what do you mean by this "in-universe" thing? I didn't get that?

100% A-f*cking right!

I am not saying the OP was actually doing that, and I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. This is a sandbox game, after all, and people often get crazy ideas to try and do in game. I have had a few myself. But the first thought that popped into my mind was your suspicion. I thought the same thing when I read the thread.

The second thing I thought was, "lol Oh, good, let's watch the V-hating-IV-fans run with this one now, and use this as a platform to hate on V." Hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

No fu*king way is that possible. During gunfights, the AI hitscan is constantly trained on the player so that as soon as the protagonist is exposed it registers the hit immmediately. Add in the almost non-existent spread of gunfire and you can see how the system is flawed.

Sometimes it's so pinpoint that i'm pretty sure the game just draws hitscan lines from thin air in order to hit you from a place where an enemy can't. This is definitely the case with a cop helicopter shooting up your car, popping car tires from around corners, and the on-foot cops landing shots despite you driving by at 100mph. Those bullets hitting the car too, they're clearly canned effects and not from the heli at all.

Not sure what game you are playing. None of this ever happens to me. Sure I get shot at, and if I am not careful, or the game catches me napping, I can lose all or most of my health and armor. But I never find myself getting mysteriously shot around corners or through solid objects. I have done entire shootout missions and been able to keep come through with none or minimal damage to health and armor when I am really careful and use the cover system the way it was meant to be used.

I have never once found myself getting shot up unnecessarily or mysteriously, unless I am careless.

• Am Shaegar likes this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

The answer has got to be no, you can't survive the entire game without being shot. If we just limit the concept to avoid getting shot in missions, it'd still be next to impossible because the police in missions like Blitz Play and their terminator-skills wouldn't allow it. Not that it makes much difference because FIB, Merryweather and even gangbangers have insane aiming skills themselves. Never mind missions like The Wrap Up where you are literally thrown into the fight once the cutscene ends.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users