Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did I Miss The "Gem" Of The Series By Not Playing GTA IV?

27 replies to this topic
FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago Edited by RedDagger, A week ago.

Ok, first off, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

It's about BOTH GTA IV and V, and I want to get the opinion of people who have played both, and can compare them.

I'm just on a long bus ride right now and was reading some other GTA V topics.

It seems like there are a lot of mixed feelings about GTA V as compared to the previous games in the series, especially 4.

But that seems to happen with any big, long running franchise putting out a new title and having it heavily compared to previous titles.

The point I am slowly winding around to making here is that I never played IV.

IV was the first GTA on PS3 right?

2, 3, and San Andreas were on PS2?

I played and loved all of those.

But I was a bit late to the scene getting my PS3, and, when I did get it, I got super obsessed with Demon's / Dark Souls, Fallout 3 / New Vegas, and Borderlands 1, 2 and The Pre Sequel, with a couple other random games thrown in.

My younger brother Platinum'd both GTA 4 and 5 on PS3, so I heard a lot about them both, and he likes them both equally.

By the time I finally got around to playing 4, I got a little bit into it before my PS3 died and I switched full time to PS4.

So, from reading other topics, particularly that one with the quite simple poll, "Do you like GTA V?" (LOL!) it seems like a lot of people compared it to IV, for reasons such as better side activities, the ability to crouch, more safe houses, more interiors, the girlfriend system, etc.

So....

Should I spend forever regretting that my old PS3 died with my GTA 4 disc forever stuck inside of it and I'll probably never get to play it?

Or should I fully enjoy 5 while the enjoying is good?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Depends. IV is more story heavy than V and vehicles are way more weighty. Not as many side activities but with the DLC's combined, you'd get an decent amount of things to do. It's got some good story and it's DLC is some of the better content out there. I like it's rendition of New York the most out of it all. It's multiplayer is simple but fun IMO, no money management nonsense Online has. 

For V, you've been playing it so you should know what you like and don't like about it. Online has essentially trampled over it so any new content will only be for Online.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

IV is a classic that I would highly recommend playing through if you ever get the chance.

The storyline and characters are very interesting and well written, and the atmosphere of the city is breathtaking. The physics engine is also so much better than V's and it's so much fun to mess around with.

GTA IV is something I feel every GTA fan should experience at some point in their life.

• CartmanKusanagi and RaMMy like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted A week ago

To sound as objective as possible GTA V's better if you want large scale exploration, vehicle variety, customising etc, but IMO it lacks in finer details, story, characters etc. The GTAO focus also hurts single player. GTA IV atleast has EFLC if you want more from single player. Even though it doesn't have the scope in terms of features as a compromise however it has more fine tuned details, a much better story, more interesting characters etc.

I think as theGTAking101 said above GTA IV is a game every GTA fan should play, but it does a lot that's striking compared to other games in the series. They're both good at what they're striving to achieve, but it really depends what you personally want out of it.

• Jimbatron, CartmanKusanagi, ROCKSTAR MANIC and 2 others like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V: A huge improvement over snore (IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted A week ago

If you are fan of wacky, over-the-top games like me, then you aren't missing anything, infact, you're lucky to be not the one to be disappointed with R* decision to change the whole GTA concept

But if you don't, then that's another story

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted A week ago

Yes. You missed one hell of a gem. Get it on PC or something since your PS3 died.

• Jimbatron likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Official General, A week ago.

* Firstly, if you consider yourself a big GTA fan then I strongly recommend you play GTA IV. Despite it having a few important flaws, for most part the game is a masterpiece that offers a highly enjoyable and memorable gaming experience that any dedicated GTA fan would be mad to miss out on. 

* Which is better out of IV and V ? It really boils down to what you like the most that would best answer the question for you. I'm just gonna state the good points about both games in my opinion : 

​GTA IV

​* Much better storyline, was much more interesting, engrossing, and fun to play along to. It also has much better pacing/structure, and made much more sense. 

* Better characters, they were much better developed, refined, and polished. 

* Overall more of a realistic feel, (driving, physics, missions, story) which makes the game much more immersive for those interested in realism-based gaming experiences.

* The map was much more interactive, and had more interiors to explore.

* Much better side activities and features that were real fun and interesting, even though it did not have many. 

* Much more emphasis on a great, thorough single-player experience, with Online mode taking a backseat.

* Much better re-creation of the setting of its real-life counterpart (New York City) in terms of size and layout. 

* Much better weapon effects and sounds. 

​GTA V

​* Bigger map, with much more variety in settings, city/town/countryside/wilderness. 

* Stunningly detailed graphics and visual effects. Still better looking than many of the more recent games that have been released. 

* Much more high-octane, over-the-top, explosive action with many wacky moments. 

* Much bigger and better weapon variety.

* Much better and more advanced car customization. 

* More mission variety. 

Personally I prefer a great story and characters, realism-based action that revolves around betrayals, double-dealings, conflicts, immersive environments and focus on single-player when it comes to GTA, so for me I prefer IV over V, but as for yourself, it depends on what you like best. 

• Algonquin Assassin, ROCKSTAR MANIC, theGTAking101 and 3 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by ChiroVette, A week ago.

Should I spend forever regretting that my old PS3 died with my GTA 4 disc forever stuck inside of it and I'll probably never get to play it?

Or should I fully enjoy 5 while the enjoying is good?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

First off, it seems like some people are answering a question you never asked. You never asked if you should play GTA IV. You asked if you are missing anything. I can see why people answered the former question, though, as what you are really saying here is that there is no way you are ever going to play GTA IV so all you want to know is what, if anything, you're missing.

To be honest, that is almost impossible to answer.

Because everyone has a different opinion. The short answer is that you are missing a full entry into the GTA series, whatever I might personally think about the game, which admittedly isn't very much. Luckily you have V, though, which has a much better story, with, not one, but THREE protagonists. Improved physics in a lot of ways, much more variety in mission structure, side missions, and collectibles. The game is designed for a lot of fun and variety, not to mention the missions themselves are mostly more sophisticated, once you get past the non-mission-missions like some of the Heist prep "tasks."

The problem with saying you are missing nothing, though, is that I have no idea what your tastes are like. You may well be one of the GTA fans that prefers a more slow moving, serious, tragic story where the protagonist goes, not from rags to riches, but from "rags to better rags," in ROckstar's own words. You may prefer more realism that restricts you, because you may want the GTA experience to be more of a "sandbox crime sim" than a high octane, manic romp through fictional Los Angeles and its outlying suburbs.

You may prefer a smaller, more concentrated map that is just a city.

This is the problem with your question. You aren't asking if you should try GTA IV. Much as I hated the game, I would still say yes, you should. You need to decide what you like and dislike for yourself. But since you are not asking that, how can we answer whether you are missing anything? Particularly when you have members like me saying hat V is so much better in every important way, and other members who will say the opposite?

My suggestion is to borrow an old PS3 from someone and maybe borrow or rent IV, unless you can find it on eBay or Amazon used for a low price. Or you can play it on PC if you have a gaming PC. I do know this: If I had NEVER played GTA IV and had no other information about the game other than opinions and reviews, I would make sure I played it to find out for myself. Even though, clearly playing it would mean I disliked it. I still think its better to actually try something you are this interested in, rather than ask what, if anything, you are missing.

Edit: This is weird, I responded to this in the V forum, but the thread is in the IV forum. I guess it was moved. My apologies, IV fans. I don't post in this forum because of my dislike of all-things-IV, and certainly my signature and the little slogan under my avatar are bound to cause some hostility in here. So I try to avoid this forum for those reasons. ;)

• FilthyLittleGod likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted A week ago

You may prefer more realism that restricts you, because you may want the GTA experience to be more of a "sandbox crime sim" than a high octane, manic romp through fictional Los Angeles and its outlying suburbs.

This is pretty much the reason GTA IV's the best GTA to me. It plays more like a CRIME game/simulator (however you want to call it) and less like an action movie with some crime elements attached.

To use an analogy GTA IV's Goodfellas, The Departed etc and GTA V's Die Hard, The Fast & The Furious etc.

• Official General, theGTAking101, Zello and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Official General, A week ago.

You may prefer more realism that restricts you, because you may want the GTA experience to be more of a "sandbox crime sim" than a high octane, manic romp through fictional Los Angeles and its outlying suburbs.

You may prefer a smaller, more concentrated map that is just a city.

* That's fine if you feel that way, but that's the appeal of IV for me. I love the fact that its a very realistic crime simulator. I love stalking the dark, gritty concrete blocks and streets of LC and then getting entangled in all kinds of sh*t with the city's mafias and gangs. Because V's high octane, manic romps were so over the top and hugely unrealistic, I just didn't enjoy them as much as I did in IV, in IV, they just seemed to make much more sense and felt much more satisfying. 

* The strange thing with IV, is that it still has two cities - Liberty City and Alderney City. Yes they are close by, but they still feel different and distinctive enough from each other. That in itself is good enough for me for IV, considering it was supposed to be centred around a big city environment anyway. V did not even have at least one more city other than Los Santos, which is quite embarrassing when you consider how huge it's map is compared to IV's. 

• Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101, Zello and 1 other like this

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Playa

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted A week ago Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger, A week ago.

To me, GTA IV is like The Godfather Part II in a
Spoiler
My favorite video game and movie so the two share a special place in terms of entertainment and cinema.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by ChiroVette, A week ago.

This is pretty much the reason GTA IV's the best GTA to me. It plays more like a CRIME game/simulator (however you want to call it) and less like an action movie with some crime elements attached.

To use an analogy GTA IV's Goodfellas, The Departed etc and GTA V's Die Hard, The Fast & The Furious etc.

I totally respect all this.

It underscore why guys like you and Official General prefer IV. Its a valid opinion and certainly elucidates your taste in gaming versus mine.

The only thing I disagree with in OG's post is where you say that Aldernay makes it like two cities. But that is just nitpicking on my part. While Liberty City is one city only, hence all islands falling under the auspices of "Liberty City" and not Liberty State, I can see a valid non-logistical argument being made that Jersey is not part of NY. So let's just call that one a matter of interpretation.

By the way, I also agree with the analogy of IV to Goodfellas while V is more like The Fast & the Furious or Die Hard. All of them are AMAZING movies, by the way.

However, and forgive me for nitpicking, but I disagree about Gunslinger's assertion of IV being like The Godfather II. Not because I don't get the analogy, but because The Godfather is literally the best of the best. I am a huge fan of Godfather I and II, and the problem with that analogy, in my opinion, is it severely overstates and mis-categorizes Iv as being on the level of Coppola and Puzo.

Let's just say that, even though I hate IV (and love Goodfellas), that we can tacitly agree that this is a much more accurate depiction of IV than to try and compare it to one of the first two Godfather movies. If for no other reason than it opens up the case for people to try and argue that "IV is Filet Mignon while V is like a hot dog!" which you know is the next natural progression of the argument against V lol!

Let's also be realistic here. IV (and, yes V) are just videogames. They are NOT Shakespeare or even Coppola, Lucas, or Spielberg. 

• Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

R4gN0r0K
  • R4gN0r0K

☆ ♛ ☆

• Members
  • Unknown
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted A week ago

You should enjoy V as much as you can. It was a really good game.

IV and V were going into 2 separate directions and that's okay. I personally still prefer IV since it gave me this wow feel from when i first started it until the end. V did that too, but not to that extend. It may be the fact that when IV came out, it had this new engine with euphoria physics where i just spend the first weeks dicking around with the engine and cheats that made me love the game even before i got to play it's story.

With V it felt a bit downgraded, but it was still nice (but it was really great with the PC version where a mod enhanced it). I never really cared about Online multiplayer, i played TBoGT's one with a friend years later and tried GTA Online when it launched, but it was just a bit too much for me. In IV's multiplayer it was just a simple mode, where money wouldnt matter that much, but in Online you could do so much more with it, and being in public lobbies that seemed like big Free for all festivals it wasn't that much fun doing stuff like customizing cars or characters since you always had to look out for people trying to take you out. I can see that some may like it, but i'm more of a casual player. I ended up just playing alone in private lobbies when i wanted to play with my character in San Andreas (which was really not the point of playing online) and used the gamemode lobbies when i felt like deathmatches.

I do recommend you to get IV when you have a chance. You do have to know that IV was the first game on the new engine so it was not as advanced and had some flaws, which may seem to much of a downgrade coming from V. But it won't hurt giving it a chance since you should be able to get it pretty cheap nowadays

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

In some ways IV is an upgrade from V, dont care what the haters say IV is still the better game, its what GTA is about, not having a lame single player and online shoved down your throat.

• Algonquin Assassin and Tycek like this

Will Lorenzo Cooper
  • Will Lorenzo Cooper

Camhack Video Editor

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Will Lorenzo Cooper, A week ago.

Yes its a great game.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted A week ago

Let's also be realistic here. IV (and, yes V) are just videogames. They are NOT Shakespeare or even Coppola, Lucas, or Spielberg. 

I know. However I feel my tastes in video games pretty much parallels my tastes in movies too hence the Goodfellas and The Departed comparison. ;)

Many tonal aspects, themes, subject matter etc feel quite reminiscent to what's in GTA IV. I've always felt if GTA IV was a movie it would most definitely be a crime drama/thriller and fit in with that niche that Coppola, Scorcese, Puzo etc revolutionised. It doesn't really have as much pulse pounding action as GTA V. It's more methodical and slow burning.

• Official General and EtherTakeover like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

I have always hoped somebody would make GTA the movie, as you say GTA4 would make a great movie. Saying that though most of the GTA's could be made into movies. GTA3 would be great with a silent protagonist, plenty of actors who could play Claude.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I have always hoped somebody would make GTA the movie, as you say GTA4 would make a great movie. Saying that though most of the GTA's could be made into movies. GTA3 would be great with a silent protagonist, plenty of actors who could play Claude.

Can't say I agree with that. 

I'd never wanna see this. I reckon it would be corny as f*ck (knowing what those Hollywood guys are like), and it would be glossed over to no end. In general, I can see it making a mockery of the franchise. No thanks. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted A week ago

I'd never wanna see this. I reckon it would be corny as f*ck (knowing what those Hollywood guys are like), and it would be glossed over to no end. In general, I can see it making a mockery of the franchise. No thanks.
You have to admit it would be pretty ironic considering how heavy set the GTA series is to mock popular culture.

Wed probably have Zac Efron as Claude, Tracy Morgan as CJ, Nicholas Cage as Tommy, any number of actors who we recognise to play random Russian and Serbian thugs in movies, but cant recall their names to play Niko etc.

Hmmm. That sounds truly awful lol. The sad reality is video games and movies just dont blend together that well with a small handful of diamonds in the rough.
  • Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

You have to admit it would be pretty ironic considering how heavy set the GTA series is to mock popular culture.

Wed probably have Zac Efron as Claude, Tracy Morgan as CJ, Nicholas Cage as Tommy, any number of actors who we recognise to play random Russian and Serbian thugs in movies, but cant recall their names to play Niko etc.

Hmmm. That sounds truly awful lol. The sad reality is video games and movies just dont blend together that well with a small handful of diamonds in the rough.

Algonquin you totally read my mind man. Everything you said, was exactly what I was thinking about the idea to a tee. 

Indeed, video games and movies have never mixed well together 99 percent of the time. However there are just a handful video-game-based movies that have made it into that successful 1 percent - for it was Doom, I actually enjoyed that. 

EtherTakeover
  • EtherTakeover

Crackhead

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted A week ago Edited by EtherTakeover, A week ago.

I know. However I feel my tastes in video games pretty much parallels my tastes in movies too hence the Goodfellas and The Departed comparison. ;)

Many tonal aspects, themes, subject matter etc feel quite reminiscent to what's in GTA IV. I've always felt if GTA IV was a movie it would most definitely be a crime drama/thriller and fit in with that niche that Coppola, Scorcese, Puzo etc revolutionised. It doesn't really have as much pulse pounding action as GTA V. It's more methodical and slow burning.

GTA IV in my opinion is really similar to Scorcese's Taxi Driver.Where the protagonist is a veteran that later becomes a taxi driver trying to survive in New York and also has a dark and gritty atmosphere.

• Algonquin Assassin and Tycek like this

MechanicMammal
  • MechanicMammal

Peon

• Members

Posted A week ago Edited by MechanicMammal, A week ago.

IV definitely had a better story and a much more likeable protagonist and other side character's, Also I much preferred the single protagonist set up, also if I remember right you could do things like crouch and it had better climbing physics, IMO npc and police AI and mechanics were better (I miss small things like the owner of the car you stole hanging on to the door until he gets knocked off  lol), On a negative note I also remember rag dolling lots when nudged by something, And it was kinda boring to drive around. "Also I do not want to go bowling cousin". :)

With V I dislike most of the characters and the story is meh but I have played it many more hours mainly because of online and in my opinion better map.

I personally think all the main GTA 3D and HD games have had there strong points and great mechanics which have not always been used in later releases.

just do it bob1
  • just do it bob1

GTA Vehicle Collector and Enthusiast

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Yeah, you did. GTA IV and its DLC packs (TLAD and TBOGT) are 3 stories that come together to form one of the best plots in GTA history. Its one of the first games (GTA IV) that had a sad ending for the player no matter what. Unlike other GTA's, the protagonist is always happy at the end and benifits or wins from something, but in GTA IV its different. In GTA IV you dont benifit from anything. Blood is spilled all because of these 2MIL Diamonds and so many dies for these diamonds to end up in the hands of (not going to spoil.) Based on these diamonds I would say you literally haven't played the "Gem" of the series hahaha. I would recommend that you play the GTA IV "games". They are nothing like any other GTA. GTA IV is the best GTA in terms of storyline and GTA Vice City coming in second. If you have ever watched the movie "Blood Diamond" you could make the connection between that movie and the game. I would also suggest that you watch that movie if you want to know what diamonds really are. It's really good, trust me you won't regret it.

• Tycek and Official General like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Guess you guys are right about the movie, Hollywood as it stands these days would turn the GTA franchise into a joke, probably would be a movie full of cheese and one liners.

I thought MAX Payne as a movie was ok, although its a long way from the games, 

• Official General likes this

just do it bob1
  • just do it bob1

GTA Vehicle Collector and Enthusiast

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Guess you guys are right about the movie, Hollywood as it stands these days would turn the GTA franchise into a joke, probably would be a movie full of cheese and one liners.

Steven Ogg (The Voice Of Trevor Phillips) actually made a GTA 5 "movie trailer" with IGN. It was made about a year ago and was just a prank. They actually asked Ned Luke (The Voice Of Micheal) to also join in but he refused. Steven Ogg has made a GTA mini-movie called GTA: VR, but I agree that Hollywood would make GTA seem like a joke. If they ever DID make a movie I would watch it for sure.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Jimbatron, A week ago.

Agree with most of what's said above. I'm maybe alone in plugging this but IV multiplayer is in someways better than GTAO too. TDM, TMW, and CnC are all more in depth and strategically satisfying than their GTAO equivalents IMHO.

GTAO does of course have more variety but not the quality (again my opinion) except for Heists which to be fair blow IV co ops out of the water (as good as they are).

Then you don't have Tron Bikes, Batmobiles and Shark Cards in IV MP. We can all decide ourselves if it's better or worse for it.
  • B Dawg likes this

Fatsanchez
  • Fatsanchez

Rat

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 5 days ago

Having played the first Max Payne and really enjoyed its story and mood at the time, I have to say, I saw the movie and think its embarassingly bad, one of the worst movies I have ever, ever seen. It is nowhere as enjoyable as the games story. But thats just my opinion.

As for IV I also havent played it all the way (my pc sucked) but the little I got to play overwhelmed me. Still laught when I remember Badman and the testosterone guy (who made it to V), great characters to say the least

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 5 days ago

Having played the first Max Payne and really enjoyed its story and mood at the time, I have to say, I saw the movie and think its embarassingly bad, one of the worst movies I have ever, ever seen. It is nowhere as enjoyable as the games story. But thats just my opinion.

I have to agree with this. I found the film's climax the most disappointing out of everything. The games' ending was so epic yet the film changed it to just shooting a guy point blank. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users