Photo

Take-Two plans to only release games with 'recurrent consumer spending' hooks

916 replies to this topic
Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:48 AM Edited by Quinn_flower, 08 November 2017 - 03:52 AM.

lol fk you take 2 and zeldick.....rip rdr2 and gta series....actually all take 2 games......dont touch my fking bioshock zeldick. and this is why cheat engine and mod menus exist because of sh*t like this......i edited my vaules for assassin creed becuase ubi soft wants me to pay more for outfits....nope let me change a few things around tada. 

https://www.gamasutr...nding_hooks.php

It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board. That's a sea change in our business."

- Take-Two chief Strauss Zelnick, speaking to investors on a conference call today.

In a conference call with investors today, Take-Two Interactive chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick made it clear that, at least for Take-Two, the game industry is now all about "recurrent consumer spending" rather than game sales.

"The business, once upon a time, was a big chunky opportunity to engage for tens of hours, or perhaps a hundred hours," he said. That has turned into ongoing engagement. Day after day, week after week. You fall in love with these titles, and they become part of your daily life."

This perspective is not terribly surprising, given that Take-Two continues to generate tons of revenue from sales of in-game items and virtual currency in games like Grand Theft Auto Online and NBA2K 17. 

However, it still gives other devs in the industry a bit more insight into where Take-Two plans to take its business in the future: "recurrent consumer spending opportunities" (aka microtransactions).

"We've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board," Zelnick continued. 

"That's a sea change in our business. Recurrent consumer spending is 42 percent of our net bookings in the quarter. It's been transformative for us."

And Take-Two isn't alone -- just earlier today Ubisoft reported its latest quarterly earnings, and "player recurring investment" revenue was a big chunk of its revenue.

"One of the things we've learned is if we create a robust opportunity, and a robust world, in which people can play delightfully in a bigger and bigger way, that they will keep coming back. They will engage. And there is an opportunity to monetize that engagement," added Zelnick. "There's a lot of room for growth. This is just the beginning."

• saintsrow, Mattoropael, SuperJude™ and 9 others like this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Oft-requested

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

That's vague. Or it sounds it to me, but then I am just a helicopter.

Is he saying cash cards will be here from now on, or that there'll be DLC? Because if it's just DLC - well that was kind of already out of the bottle.

• Sky_Light12, Arrows to Athens, Ivan1997GTA and 5 others like this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

That's vague. Or it sounds it to me, but then I am just a helicopter.

Is he saying cash cards will be here from now on, or that there'll be DLC? Because if it's just DLC - well that was kind of already out of the bottle.

only cash card games from here on out. 

• Alvarez, Arrows to Athens, HeavyDuke and 3 others like this

.Diana McFarland.
  • .Diana McFarland.

Stomping Out Lesser Females Everywhere.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Diana 2016
    Best Diana 2017

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:59 AM

ive never played an RdR game but im curious to see how microtransactions would be in that game

• robban, LL Cool L, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:02 AM Edited by Quinn_flower, 08 November 2017 - 04:06 AM.

ive never played an RdR game but im curious to see how microtransactions would be in that game

horse = 1 mill gold bricks

hat =57k gold bricks

unicorn = 8 mill gold bricks

appearance change 100k gold

lasso = 96k 

cowboy/girl outfit = 49k gold bricks

all the money will be gold bricks.

the $100 one will be wheelbarrow of gold

• TovarishTony, SilverRST, gtafan26 and 19 others like this

TheDoombringer
  • TheDoombringer

Old Man in training

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

POPULAR

It's dark times being a gamer we've been transformed from a player to a milking cow...

65.00$ for a game and all we get is an incomplete piece of sh*t that either has a sh*ton of microtraction or paid DLC or both
  • Hazzardtohimself, badmoon, Mastah and 54 others like this

KWF1981
  • KWF1981

Gangsta

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

This'll be a fun thread.

As a gamer, one that likes a rewarding game full of progression, immersion, depth and balance, AND considering the huge figures GTA V/O made these 4 years...

Makes me fear from my perspective really.

I know times change, but a PvP heavy, dripfeeding/shark card inspired, random/expensive time/paywall driven, unbalanced game that's gonna (most likely) look to heavily push us into the latest additions, expecting us to ignore/forget/move on from the previous additions we do each love, and have the game choc-full of overly publicised cheats/glitches/exploits they turn a blind eye to, all the while removing legitimate players legitimate money...

Not again. Simple. As. That!!!.

I'm sorry. To me, this is a blow. Basically, it's the same as here now. Only more compounding with its advertising in-game potentially too...

Difference between this game and the next... We know now from day one that it's gonna be like...

What's the betting the next GTA dropps the damn age rating by watering this down... Might as well, this approach is like sugar for kids.

f*ck!.
  • WHAT!?, Jimbatron, erl12end and 20 others like this

Gray-Hand
  • Gray-Hand

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:35 AM Edited by Gray-Hand, 08 November 2017 - 04:49 AM.

Sounds like they will be focussing on games where they create a world and then keep adding to it over time in such a way as to incentivise players to engage in micro transactions.

I don't exactly mind that, since I understand that if I want developers to keep making big games like GTAV, they have to keep making steady money to justify the ongoing development costs. Paying to create a Ballad of Gay Tony or Lost and the Damned and gambling on them succeeding is probably too much of a risk these days. investing in the development of DLCs based on how much money the game is actually bringing in every week makes more sense.

I just hope that in future that DLC updates are run a lot more slickly than GTAonline's have been. They have just been far too haphazard.

I'm optimistic that this will lead to big games with big worlds that continue to have life in them for years after they are released. And I'm prepared to pay for that.

Having said that, I can completely understand that such a development won't suit everyone. I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to pay for that kind of thing - if you had asked a twenty year old me about this, you'd get a completely different answer.
  • Criminal-Fox likes this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

President of the LS Coquette Owners Club

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Now they know. Why spend a f*ck load of time and money on a game that makes some money, when you can make a lot of money by releasing half assed updates? It makes perfect sense.
  • Mattoropael, Gtaman_92, gtafan26 and 14 others like this

TheDoombringer
  • TheDoombringer

Old Man in training

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:44 AM

Its like star wars battlefront 2 they announced they did away with season passes...until everyone played the beta and found out it was replaced With loot boxes...seriously? after I heard That My hype Died.
  • Rebel_Scum likes this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Oft-requested

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:47 AM

It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board," Zelnick continued. 

"Engaging with titles in an ongoing basis" - that could be anything. That could be updating the game (and basically all games get patches/updates these days).

He even goes as far as to say it probably won't always be a "virtual currency model" (i.e. cash cards).

That said, just what are they getting at? Eh, I think they don't know what they're going to do themselves yet. They're probably gauging what people think of just hearing about cash cards, games being drawn out with DLC like this was, etc.

I wouldn't worry. If there is cause to worry, then vote with your wallets.

• gtafan26, AUScowboy, Criminal-Fox and 5 others like this

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:50 AM

Dear Strauss Zelnick:

Sincerely, a human being, not a walking wallet.
  • FlacidJack, Shaundi., gtafan26 and 11 others like this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:52 AM

Its like star wars battlefront 2 they announced they did away with season passes...until everyone played the beta and found out it was replaced With loot boxes...seriously? after I heard That My hype Died.

Need For Speed Payback has a grind system for parts. PARTS. EA is jumping on the bandwagon to test the waters.
  • APB, Rebel_Scum and ryannata like this

Gray-Hand
  • Gray-Hand

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board," Zelnick continued. 

"Engaging with titles in an ongoing basis" - that could be anything. That could be updating the game (and basically all games get patches/updates these days).

He even goes as far as to say it probably won't always be a "virtual currency model" (i.e. cash cards).

That said, just what are they getting at? Eh, I think they don't know what they're going to do themselves yet. They're probably gauging what people think of just hearing about cash cards, games being drawn out with DLC like this was, etc.

I wouldn't worry. If there is cause to worry, then vote with your wallets.
They mean that the consumer has the opportunity to spend more money on the game following the release. That could be done with paid DLC, virtual currency like shark cards, loot boxes, or monthly subscriptions like World of Warcraft.

I think it stems from a desire to minimise risk by evening out their income streams with regular income from micro transactions rather than being reliant on the short but massive wi stalls following the release of games, where an unlucky release could cost tens or even hinds of millions - such as happened with Mad Max, which was an okay game, but was inexplicably released the same week as Metal Gear Solid 5.
  • Criminal-Fox likes this

Snoopbr
  • Snoopbr

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

Well, there is nothing new, but I would like to say thank you for those who spent millions in shark cards, they are basically financing the game for us and and future updates.
The only thing I'm afraid of is the single player to become out of focus.
  • Testeuros, kottonmouth401 and Cryo The Hunter like this

D.B. Cooper
  • D.B. Cooper

Seems like it's my turn again

• Members
  • Australia
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

q3yDYAx.png

The one good thing about all of these companies going all out on the microtransactions and fees upon fees upon fees is that it makes it very easy to narrow down which games are and aren't worth playing. Sad to see that GTA 6 will probably be more of the same crap though.

• Shaundi., gtafan26, Lamborghini1335 and 15 others like this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:32 AM

Well that's chopped my wood.
  • saintsrow, gtafan26, HeavyDuke and 3 others like this

Lucius M. Galloway
  • Lucius M. Galloway

Blood God

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

Wow. T2 can eat a fat dick. I ain't buying no more games.

Well...maybe Bully 2.
  • robban, Arrows to Athens, Criminal-Fox and 2 others like this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:05 AM Edited by Sanches, 08 November 2017 - 08:05 AM.

RIP game industry. From Valve to T2.

[*]                                              [*]

• gtafan26, BlackScout, Neuling2000 and 2 others like this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

Seems to be the model of modern video gaming though, and it is a problem. I have just had to take my youngest son who is 8, completely away from Rocket League  as he was becoming addicted to opening those mystery crates.

You have to pay for keys (£5 for 6 keys) to open them, and the pestering for money on a daily basis was getting relentless. We had already limited his play, and this alone made him bad tempered. He couldn't wait to finish what he was doing and get onto Rocket League This was an 8 year old who for all intents and purposes had developed a gambling addiction. Paying to open mystery boxes to see what was inside.

Coupled with the fact that he was being coerced to open other players' crates for them (with his paid for keys) and the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Gaming has a pretty bleak future.

• badmoon, saintsrow, ngcLink00 and 33 others like this

N R G
  • N R G

cla$$y lady

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:35 AM Edited by N R G, 08 November 2017 - 08:35 AM.

I'm happy to pay-to-play but when I'm getting asked to fork out my entire payslips for one item that's where I draw the line and jump ship. I feel sorry for those that blow all their money on a company like this. Greed at its finest.
  • R3CON, Voodoo-Hendrix and ryannata like this

Hécate-II
  • Hécate-II

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

I'm not into RDR, not interested, and anyway I won't buy an eventual GTAVI once released, I want to see which kind of update they propose. So I would buy it years after release. 

OT: "And there is an opportunity to monetize that engagement,"

That sounds more like monthly subscription. 

• Criminal-Fox and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

ѕуитн ¢ιту

• Daily Globe
  • Australia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

lol

It's like Take-Two, specifically Strauss Zelnick and only Strauss Zelnick are actively finding ways for us to make us hate them even more and drive their sales down.
  • Maibatsu545, Criminal-Fox, Pininfarina and 2 others like this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Games with monthly subscriptions tend to work properly.

I cannot wait to see how they'll implement updates in RDR2.

Your character inevitably catches a fatal disease, so naturally you have to buy some kind of mineshaft and hire a doctor staff to research a cure to stop your character from dying every 20 minutes lol
  • Arrows to Athens, Criminal-Fox, VictorVince1239 and 1 other like this

Commander S
  • Commander S

Preston, Esq.

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Sooo... Loot boxes in RDR2, then, I guess...

:sui:
  • iLLYHiGHROLLER, Xiled, Rebel_Scum and 1 other like this

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Military geek

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:14 AM Edited by SkylineGTRFreak, 08 November 2017 - 09:15 AM.

Glad I already started Gaming early, so I was able to Enjoy the times where you would get a full game and substantial DLC for 20-30$ (even IV and RDR had these awesome DLCs) smhhh
  • Mattoropael, ngcLink00, gtafan26 and 7 others like this

SeberHusky
  • SeberHusky

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:17 AM Edited by SeberHusky, 08 November 2017 - 09:19 AM.

What a buffet of overly-complicated legal jargon.  Did Molly write this out? I suppose this just means "expect microtransactions in our future games, so let me bamboozle you with some fancy pricing speak in the meantime".

Zelnick has no videogame background. He doesn't hate video games and gamers, but sees them from a pragmatic businessman perspective - as vehicles for easy wealth generation.

If Rockstar charged $50 real life money for a random car in GTA Online then it would never sell (ignoring the 12 year olds who buy this crap without questioning it) as people would see how much of a rip-off it is. But apply a Shark Card value of 3,000,000GTA$ to what equals $50 in real money and people will buy it in droves because they suddenly don't see the real world value to it anymore.

• saintsrow, BlackScout, DevilDaRebel and 4 others like this

ALifeOfMisery
  • ALifeOfMisery

I see dead people...real ones....often.

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

Seems to be the model of modern video gaming though, and it is a problem. I have just had to take my youngest son who is 8, completely away from Rocket League  as he was becoming addicted to opening those mystery crates.

You have to pay for keys (£5 for 6 keys) to open them, and the pestering for money on a daily basis was getting relentless. We had already limited his play, and this alone made him bad tempered. He couldn't wait to finish what he was doing and get onto Rocket League This was an 8 year old who for all intents and purposes had developed a gambling addiction. Paying to open mystery boxes to see what was inside.

Coupled with the fact that he was being coerced to open other players' crates for them (with his paid for keys) and the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Gaming has a pretty bleak future.

This is absolutely shocking.

I don't have kids and hadn't considered this particular situation.

If this is going to be the model used in games for the foreseeable future I'd be all for some kind of oversight where games that aren't rated 18/M cannot incorporate a microtransaction/loot box model.

Parents can make their own choices as to whether they allow their kids to play games rated for an audience older than their actual age, I'm not in a position to comment on that. But games that are aimed at children using these methods is terrible.

The microtransaction model in GTAO has already put me off RDR2O, if RDR2O takes microtransactions even further GTA VI will probably be the first GTA game I don't buy at all.
  • BlackScout, Commander S, Spectre "2K" and 7 others like this

SeberHusky
  • SeberHusky

Homeboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

Glad I already started Gaming early, so I was able to Enjoy the times where you would get a full game and substantial DLC for 20-30$ (even IV and RDR had these awesome DLCs) smhhh

I've been gaming since before DLC and anything else. Where you paid $30-$40 for a videogame and got a complete finished product that didn't need 120GB of patching updates that take 6 hours to install that have piled up if you didn't buy the game on launch day.

• gtafan26, BlackScout, Neuling2000 and 7 others like this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

I'm not into RDR, not interested, and anyway I won't buy an eventual GTAVI once released, I want to see which kind of update they propose. So I would buy it years after release. 

OT: "And there is an opportunity to monetize that engagement,"

I predict that for GTA 6, what will be released will be a purely online experience. There will be a story element, but I think that Rockstar and Take Two will try to weave this into their online concept and merge the two. All bolstered by micro-transactions of course.

• We Are Ninja, Criminal-Fox and R3CON like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users