Original release for PS2, deemed to be "not fully patched" to post-9/11 standards. Can be identified by the lack of a # on the disc's SLES code and FLIGHT2.DAT (GTA3\DATA\PATHS) with a date modified of 24/09/2001 at 2:01 PM.
- "Dead Dodo" flies at a higher altitude and mostly over water or open land, whereas in v1.40 it would fly much lower and right over city streets.
- Catalina's line in The Exchange has been shortened from "Throw over the cash, and you can have this overused puta back." to "Throw over the cash."
- Intro credits show altered black and white police cruisers instead of the original blue and white design.
- (Need confirmation on when this was fixed) Portland subway station gate's collision model has been enlarged to fix a useful glitch where the player could slowly drive up and over the ramp above and roll right through the gate in the ensuing drop and crash.
Regular GTA III version for PC, released some time after the PS2 version. Development seems to have been branched from an earlier PS2 version than v1.40.
- Salvatore says more in Bomb da Base: Act I. "We should take these Colombian bastards out, but while we're at war with the Triads, we ain't strong enough."
- Catalina has a different look.
- HUD weapon icons are yellow instead of grey.
- Asuka has different lines in Under Surveillance, changing Mafia to FBI.
- Police scanner audio has a different filtering effect.
- A number of radar icons are different.
- Kenji's Yakuza posse in Waka-Gashira Wipeout! are armed with Uzis instead of M16s.
- Building next to Sex Club 7 has water towers on the roof.
- Portland safehouse has a water tower on the roof.
- Claude can move sideways and diagonally.
- Numerous small instances of incorrect or unfinished texture mapping.
- Numerous small problems with vehicle models, mostly concerning damage to individual parts.
- O Mio Babbino Caro on Double Cleff FM was removed.
- Smoke effects either unfinished or heavily toned down.
- Ambulance and police vehicles (confirmation needed) heal themselves by a fractional amount as successive levels/rounds of Paramedic and Vigilante are completed.
- Exception error after blue Rockstar load screen fixed.
- Error loading saved games fixed.
- Mouse sensitivity now saved with other settings (no changes made to existing settings).
- Option for user to play audio files directly from hard disk. Copy the contents of the PLAY discs Audio directory into your installed Grand Theft Auto III Audio directory. Grand Theft Auto III still requires the presence of the PLAY disc when started. This may give better performance on some machines (though worse on others).