9 replies to this topic
babanigGARdo
  • babanigGARdo

the lord of morons

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 2 weeks ago

this guy is so inconsistent 

one moment hes this bitch ass nigga who lets everyone walk over him and another moment hes this psychotic killer who would bury you in cement for just whistling at his slut of a sister 

i dont see why ppl say hes a better person than tommy or claude etc. not only is he a beta hes a bigger asshole too 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 2 weeks ago

Yes. There's not a single thing I like about the guy honestly. I wish Cesar was the protagonist because atleast hes more interesting and likeable.

• RaMMy likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Official General, A week ago.

No not at all. It's clear that you didn't study the development of his character properly. It's not always about being tough as nails, cold, ruthless, and near-invincible when it comes to GTA protagonists, despite the brutal nature of their criminal careers. Sometimes a good dose of real human life elements are what is needed to develop a character, and that does not always involve being the ultimate hard man.

CJ's was portrayal was supposed to be one of a vulnerable and emotionally fragile young guy that struggles to eventually overcome all the obstacles he faces in his cold, harsh world of gang culture, violent ghetto life, police brutality and corruption to name, his brother and friends deride him as a coward, not to mention he's also dealing with the fact that his mother has been killed by rival gang members. His head is not in the right place, and he's at a very low, weak moment in life. So him acting like a lil' b*tch or softie at times was supposed to be the idea. As the game progresses, we see CJ's transition from young upstart street thug with very little heart and lacking smarts, to hardened, experienced original gangsta with more shrewdness, more brains to become owner of a vast, wealthy criminal empire - he was that classical underdog that was up against all odds in a long, hard struggle/fight, but came out a winner, on top. I thought that was a good idea and it was well written out, save a few caveats with the story (all that silly way-over-the-top Mike Toreno stuff and green goo etc). It would have been a bit boring and unoriginal if CJ was always a ruthless tough guy from the start that knew it all, and bulldozed his way to major success in the San Andreas criminal underworld - we saw all of that with Tommy Vercetti in Vice City, there was no reason to see it all again with CJ.

However I didn't like it when CJ was acting like a lil' b*tch with Catalina though, that part really annoyed me, and also the part when he was pleading with the cops in the boot of the police car. All of that whiny b*tch stuff in a very few small sections of the story did leave a bad stain on CJ's image, but for me it was so minimal I could overlook it, no one is perfect after all.

CJ was not the best GTA protagonist, but he certainly was by no means the worst - that honour goes to Trevor in my view.

@ Algonquin

Cesar being a protagonist would not have suitable for the core theme of SA, as much as you liked him. The black LA gang scene was much more well-known and infamous than Latino gangs at the time period that SA was based on (1990s). A Cesar-like Chicano character would suited V best, because of the current spotlight on vicious Mexican drug cartels.

• Evil empire, dekash27 and adrienspy like this

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 2 weeks ago.

Nah, CJ's cool. If you wanna be technical, Claude is the worst protagonist of all, because he doesn't talk, and has no emotion. His facial expression never changes throughout the entirety of the game! He is just a hired gun for high ranking criminal figures, even turning on his employers. Some people might hate that, but if you ask me, that's what makes Claude the ruthless motherf*cker that he is.

@Official General Gangs like the Crips and Bloods are the most notable gangs of the 90s, but there was a lot of tension between the brown and black people at this time, and many Hispanic gangs were at constant war with the Bloods and Crips. So Cesar might have fit in just fine.
  • Official General, Brian_O_Malley and dekash27 like this

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by watersgta3, 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't call CJ the worst protagonist, but as much as I like him, I have to admit that you do have a point. I can kind of understand why people don't like him. CJ's personality is pretty inconsistent and a lot of his motives are questionable to say the least. It's pretty hard to root for someone who complains about having it rough when he has no qualms of murdering and ruins the lives of others. It puts him in Wangst territory, and a lot of his fans keep making him like he's this deep guy when in reality, he's not that much different from the other protagonists.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

@Official General Gangs like the Crips and Bloods are the most notable gangs of the 90s, but there was a lot of tension between the brown and black people at this time, and many Hispanic gangs were at constant war with the Bloods and Crips. So Cesar might have fit in just fine.

I don't think you understood my point.

Black (African-American) gangs were well-known not just for actual criminal element of LA gang scene, but whole culture itself and by-products of it that influenced popular American culture in the 1990s - the gangsta rap music genre, the dances (C-Walk) the fashion, the slang, the swag, etc - this was what Rockstar were aiming for when making SA. The whole black LA gang movement and G-funk subculture fascinated the series creators, and they wanted a protagonist to reflect that, so naturally he had to be black and from the hood - I read it in an EDGE gaming interview with Dan Houser about the history of GTA series, Houser said it himself. 

Now the spotlight in LA is on Mexican drug cartels and LA-based Chicano gangs that are linked to them, so V would have better suited a protagonist like Cesar. 

• ClaudeIzABadAzz likes this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Evil empire, 2 weeks ago.

CJ's personality was created to make a change with the psychopathic killing-machines you play in the previous episodes.

Like Officer General wrote CJ is a weak low-life rascal who progressively becomes a ruthless respected and feared gangster. Even if the story wasn't written the best way it's globally well made and CJ is way more human than Tommy or Claude and I personally appreciate him more than Claude and Tommy for this reason.

• Official General and Brian_O_Malley like this

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Black (African-American) gangs were well-known not just for actual criminal element of LA gang scene, but whole culture itself and by-products of it that influenced popular American culture in the 1990s - the gangsta rap music genre, the dances (C-Walk) the fashion, the slang, the swag, etc - this was what Rockstar were aiming for when making SA. The whole black LA gang movement and G-funk subculture fascinated the series creators, and they wanted a protagonist to reflect that, so naturally he had to be black and from the hood - I read it in an EDGE gaming interview with Dan Houser about the history of GTA series, Houser said it himself. 

Ahhhh you're f*cking right! I get ya know.

• Official General likes this

p∞ntang
  • p∞ntang

Sherm Head

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted A week ago

this guy is so inconsistent 

one moment hes this bitch ass nigga who lets everyone walk over him and another moment hes this psychotic killer who would bury you in cement for just whistling at his slut of a sister 

i dont see why ppl say hes a better person than tommy or claude etc. not only is he a beta hes a bigger asshole too 

Yeah, I get that too, but people are inconsistent. I've only completed 3 and SA now, but compared to Claude he's more interesting (at least at first). If they ruined CJ, it was his "relationship" with Catalina. I didn't like CRASH missions, but I understood why CJ complied, but worst of all after The Green Sabre was Catalina making a total bitchass out of CJ. Should have been CJ who turned her from a petty thief into a jack-boot, psychotic bitch. I just don't see CJ at any point after losing his moms, and maybe his brother, taking sh*t from anyone. They did f*ck it up even including her; character call backs are fine, but not when they literally dominate the main character.

• Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

KingD19
  • KingD19

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by KingD19, A week ago.

This is something I just thought about because I just noticed gta sa is my favorite gta to play but CJ is not my favorite character Niko is. But cj in the story mode just seem like he wanted to just sellout on Grove Street and never step foot back in Los Santos like how he ran away from L.S to Live in liberty city and like how he rather stayed in mansions in vinewood and hotels in L.V and San fierro and when sweet got out of jail cj was bragging saying stuff like "we got a mansion I can buy you some new clothes" CJ seem like he only cares about the hood because he was pressured if sweet stayed in jail CJ wouldn't even stepped foot back in Los Santos CJ barely gives a f*ck about Los Santos or Grove Street in reality but he doesn't want to seem like the bad guy so he just does stuff he actually don't wanna do and rather be doing something else it's crazy because I like Carl more in free roam more then I like him in missions because in free roam cj is what ever you make him like in my game I roleplay the game in my free roam cj is a og thats with all the street sh*t and can be on that business side when he wants not the "I'm only doing this because I wanna make everybody happy and rather leave Los Santos " How they make him in story cj basically was gonna do what Franklin did before Franklin did it
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users