Quantcast

» «
Photo

Addon maps and cinematic cameras oddity.

7 replies to this topic
LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by LeeC2202, 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone know if there is data in the default maps that has any control over what cinematic camera views are available? The reason I ask is that I am experiencing some very strange behaviour with addon maps and the cinematic vehicle camera.

If you watch this very uninteresting video, you can see that on the vanilla map, the full range of cinematic views is used. The minute I switch to an addon map, certain views are never used. That makes me wonder if there is something in the map definition that either allows or blocks certain camera views from being used. I have tried 4 addon maps up to now and they all have the same problem.

At first I thought it might have something to do with the sides of the tracks having high trees, meaning the camera couldn't get a clear view but on this Nurburgring map, that isn't the case. The map is very open and you can see that even when I point across the track, giving clear views to either side, it makes no difference.

If you notice that in the vanilla map, the camera even shows a shot through a fence, so could it be down to the type of collision used in the addon maps?

Does anyone have any ideas?

The views that say "This view" are the ones that don't get used.

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago

With 'addon map' you mean ymap?! I have no idea, tbh. So much about ymap is not documented, it's disheartening.

Wish I had an answer for you, as I hate how these forums are totally dead, and nobody, except you yourself, ever replies. That is disheartening too; seems nobody gives a sh*te any more.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

Ah, yeah, sorry... because I know so little about what's inside them, I just call them addon maps because they install like an addon vehicle dlc.

One thing that has sprung to mind as a possibility, is ground collision. In my onfoot camera mod, when I detect to see if I can create a rising or falling camera, I check the ground and what's above the potential spawn point. Maybe the in-game cinematic camera expects to find ground at a certain distance and doesn't find any, so it can't place a camera near ground that isn't there.

That's about all I have got when it comes to solutions though, it could be pretty much anything. I figured if I get no replies, then I am no worse off than I already am... a glass-half-full moment I guess. :D

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Here's another video that shows a bit more of the scope of the problem. I tried to make it a bit more interesting this time.

You can see in the built-up vanilla area, it's fine but on AkinaV, that has a completely open side on the straight section of the map, they don't work. You can also see that driving over the bridge still restricts the view but the minute you get off the bridge, they are working again.

So I just don't know what could be blocking them, especially when there's nothing there to visibly block them. My lack of knowledge on the maps just makes this more frustrating. All I can do is post more info and hope that something gives someone an idea of what the problem is.

ikt
  • ikt

_

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ikt, 2 weeks ago.

Did you try a run with the version with paths? Maybe paths could be a thing.
Edit - Tried it myself, no static camera, only follow/heli cameras.
  • LeeC2202 likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

That's a good point actually... I read the comment from the map author about the paths potentially causing a crash and removed them before I installed it. I didn't even think of that... thank you.

Edit: Damn, no different with the paths. :(

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by meimeiriver, 2 weeks ago.

That's a good point actually... I read the comment from the map author about the paths potentially causing a crash and removed them before I installed it. I didn't even think of that... thank you.

Edit: Damn, no different with the paths. :(

That path thingy sounded promising. :) Alas.

What could also be a thing is the _manifest file. Not strictly needed for ymap, but, I dunno, maybe on some level (like for cinematic cameras), the game wants to know where everything is placed (in 1 file). Very long shot, really, but you could maybe try it with a single item, like a fence; or a few fences, in your own test ymap.

Tl;dr: I have no clue.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

That AkinaV map does have a _manifest.ymt file but the only section it has something in, is the <imapDependencies_2> section. There are several other sections in there, so I will have to see if I can find what the vanilla files put in those sections. Things like <MapDataGroups/> might be relevant, I don't know for sure.

Oh, on an unrelated side note... I spotted a bug in PYR today, the random tuning section in the ini file is the wrong name as far as the mod is concerned, it should be RANDOM TUNE. Although I have just added another feature that you might want, and I did change the mod to match RANDOM TUNING while I was doing that.

If you have presets saved, you now have an option to use those presets for spawning. So it will either randomly select a preset, random tune from all available mod options or no tuning at all. It also now saves suspension setting in the mods, don't know how I missed that option before. And of course the extras that I mentioned previously. Of course, if you already have lots of presets, then they won't work as the new ones have more data... unless I add something that will read in the old data as well.

If you don't use presets at all, then none of this is relevant, it just needs that ini file setting changing to RANDOM TUNE for it to work.

• _ReNNie_ and meimeiriver like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users