Photo

Why I'm excited about Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode

22 replies to this topic
WubbaFox
  • WubbaFox

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:26 PM Edited by WubbaFox, 03 November 2017 - 07:30 PM.

Like the title says, I'm excited for Red Dead Redemption 2's Online Mode. Why? For a couple of reasons that'll make me get rid of GTA Online from my collection. While yes, it could suck very much, I think that it'll be the perfect game to do western roleplays and to experience new Downloadable content that'll send Griefers back to the spawn of hell they were born from... well Unless they make primitive planes that'll shot dynamite which explodes to a size of a nuclear missile strike which prove R* only made that so people can buy more Shark Cards (or bonds, whatever it's call nowadays.) just because of the griefers. 

1) No more Bomb-abusing mothertruckers

Honestly, EVERYONE met a Griefer in GTA Online one way or another and do everything they can to prevent people from getting money from jobs, supply runs and all of the above. Most because R* wanted to make GTA Online more fustrating and forcing people to buy Shark Cards so they could either get the money they lost from the griefers or to repair their vehicles which the griefers destroyed. I mean hell, I bet THAT'S the only reason why R* hasn't done jack crap to the system to make it more fair to newer players who's coming into GTA Online for the first time or starting over from scratch. *cough* Which is me, of course. *cough* I mean, like I said before, unless R* decides to put in primitive planes that drops dynamite explosions the size of Nuclear missiles, I think the griefers are going to have a hell of a time to play fair.

2) More unique ideas

Without the advanced technology that exists in the GTA World, R* will have to get real creative with RDR2 Online's DLCs. Of course, one dlc may be mostly new horse types but my hopes is they might add a new and improve CEO/MC thing with the ideas of Outlaw Gangs and Illegal, Underground Businesses. Having your own Outlaw Base to build and improve would be amazing and perhaps good for a roleplaying perspective. Maybe one idea for a DLC could be where your kidnap players and/or NPCs and can do torturous and/or psychopathic things to you such as the classic "tie your victim to train tracks" cliche while other people tries to come and save you and in the process, people might get money for saving a player or NPC. Another idea could be where you could claim a town by buying it out or by putting fear into the hearts of it's civilians. You could also change the rules and how it'll run to your liking. Say you want to be a very corrupt mayor that'll hang people for stealing candy from a general store, you can do that with this idea of a DLC. You can then also use that town to further your goals of gaining more profits by taking on jobs and claiming warehouses in other towns and cities to even further your goals, that would be pretty cool.

3) We could finally create our own cowboy/cowgirl.

I know this seems so stupid to put in but it makes a huge difference. I know I'm pointing out the obvious here but I'm talking to those who never played the online mode of the original game. Having the ability to create our own character in RDR2 would make a HUGE difference instead of forcing us to unlock the model we want to use in the game. I mean, let's be honest here. we all, at one time or another, were bored as cow poop. So what some of us do was we go into the character creator and create something funny or have fun with it. If you want to try to make John Marston in GTA V or if you want to recreate the real life version of Princess Robot Bubblegum, which in terms goes out and pretends to be the offensive character of PRB in GTA V. 

Those three reasons, at least to me, makes RDR2's online mode seems interesting enough to at least try out. I just hope R* doesn't screw this up as much as GTA Online did because now, it's too much of a grind to do anything in the game and most of the time, the only way to get good at the game is to buy shark cards and they dang well know that.

• saintsrow, Efreet, E•MO•TION and 3 others like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

Has your mother finished mourning your father?

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:30 PM Edited by Efreet, 03 November 2017 - 07:32 PM.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Multiplayer will be a great and expansive addition to the base single-player, story-driven game. I, too, am excited to experience a shared Online world in the massive and rugged American heartland.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Work Writer's Discussion 2016 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]
    Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Excellent OP. :^:  I heartily agree with your best hopes for what RDR Online could be. There is incredible potential in these realistic virtual worlds for functional, satisfying, fun, replayable content, both alone and in co-op PvE.  

However, given all of Rockstar's profits and practice with GTA0, I unfortunately think it will go the way of your last sentence:  

I just hope R* doesn't screw this up as much as GTA Online did because now, it's too much of a grind to do anything in the game and most of the time, the only way to get good at the game is to buy shark cards and they dang well know that.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

I'm not at all excited about it, it's making think twice about even buying it.

• saintsrow and Piggsy pls like this

JavierC
  • JavierC

Player Hater

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Still not thrilled about the second edition of Menu Screen: The Videogame.

• saintsrow and Piggsy pls like this

WubbaFox
  • WubbaFox

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:58 PM Edited by WubbaFox, 04 November 2017 - 03:59 PM.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Multiplayer will be a great and expansive addition to the base single-player, story-driven game. I, too, am excited to experience a shared Online world in the massive and rugged American heartland.

Glad I'm not the only one excited. :)

Excellent OP. :^:  I heartily agree with your best hopes for what RDR Online could be. There is incredible potential in these realistic virtual worlds for functional, satisfying, fun, replayable content, both alone and in co-op PvE.  

However, given all of Rockstar's profits and practice with GTA0, I unfortunately think it will go the way of your last sentence:  

I just hope R* doesn't screw this up as much as GTA Online did because now, it's too much of a grind to do anything in the game and most of the time, the only way to get good at the game is to buy shark cards and they dang well know that.

Thanks Saint and I know that'll be the case in a couple of years. But I was talking about in the beginning years of RDR2's Online Mode.

I'm not at all excited about it, it's making think twice about even buying it.

I know some people aren't excited and I know some people are going to find ways to say that's RDR2 online mode is worst then GTA Online, but tbh, I'm excited if they do it right.

Sammionna
  • Sammionna

Penguin

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:53 PM Edited by Sammionna, 04 November 2017 - 07:54 PM.

I can't wait to destroy all the GTA Online kids who think they can just grab a Hydra or spam RPG's :)

• saintsrow and Luigi22 like this

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

In fairness, and microtransactions and the grind aside, they've quite clearly changed the design direction towards free roam content (CEO, Bikers, Smugglers Run etc) as people were sick of the loading, but they can't get away from the it as much as they probably want as they're still tethered down by the now archaic design of early GTA:O.

RDR:O is a clean slate, we'll have to see exactly how it all works but they would be abandoning everything they've learned if they made RDR:O as loading screen heavy as GTA:O.

• saintsrow likes this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

can't wait to BUY land, so I can add some extra shed (where I get to choose between some moose or deer-head as trophy decoration on the wallz) which will cost some INSANE amount of money.

Biter
  • Biter

MC President

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

I can't wait to destroy all the GTA Online kids who think they can just grab a Hydra or spam RPG's :)

I think you will still be able to drop dynamite from your flying Pegasus. 

WubbaFox
  • WubbaFox

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

I think you will still be able to drop dynamite from your flying Pegasus. 

damn, you're right with that, but it'll be a small explosion... I hope...

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 4 weeks ago

I am excited about when they release a flying unicorn horse that breaths fire from its mouth and defecates explosives.

If anything happens, expect the game to be on the level of GTA O. I won't touch this mode.

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Efreet, 4 weeks ago.

I am excited about when they release a flying unicorn horse that breaths fire from its mouth and defecates explosives.

If anything happens, expect the game to be on the level of GTA O. I won't touch this mode.

If there's fan demand for such an experience, R* will be there to deliver. Make no mistake, if similar fantasies will exist in Redemption 2 universe, it would be equivalent to Undead Nightmare. Guess what fans are already demanding now? Yes, a new Undead Nightmare episode. Zombies in the old west! There's a room for black comedy and relaxed experience, one that's completely unrelated to the main theme/campaign of Redemption 2, an alternate/fictional universe. Think aliens, zombies, and Myths & Secrets From The Old West. 

• highzman420 likes this

Biter
  • Biter

MC President

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

If there's fan demand for such an experience, R* will be there to deliver. Make no mistake, if similar fantasies will exist in Redemption 2 universe, it would be equivalent to Undead Nightmare. Guess what fans are already demanding now? Yes, a new Undead Nightmare episode. Zombies in the old west! There's a room for black comedy and relaxed experience, one that's completely unrelated to the main theme/campaign of Redemption 2, an alternate/fictional universe. Think aliens, zombies, and Myths & Secrets From The Old West. 

Can I actually play as a Bear in the forest?

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Why not? Will probably be one of those weird PC mods after the game releases on the platform in Fall 2019. 

• Star-Lord likes this

DexPac
  • DexPac

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm more curious than anything. Mainly I'm curious to see what they come up with to keep the game engaging for more than a month or two. I'm sure they'll have a boat load of death match variations but I doubt that'll keep me interested for than an hour or so.

Maybe more story driven content? Not sure what it would entail but I feel like they're going to need some version of Heists and more story oriented missions seem like a natural progression.

Nutduster
  • Nutduster

Big Mean Jerk

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I would love for a RDR Online to be good.  But what they did to GTA Online gives me very little optimism.   If they launch with a similar "pay real money for fake money with which you buy in-game stuff" model, it's doomed from the start.

eyman
  • eyman

Nothing Special

• Members
  • None
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by eyman, 3 weeks ago.

I'm fairly sure Rockstar by now have looked at GTA Online and then looked at Red dead Online and said to themselves "we are limited", so without a doubt they must have already started thinking about the type of content they can add to Red dead online. Even more so now because the pressure Zelnick has put on them by saying that Rockstar games will offer players to keep coming back.

Lets look at the things added in GTA Online that can be added to Red Dead Online:

- Heists
- Missions
- Adversary modes
- More Guns and Horses and clothes
- Houses
- Different types of Businesses
- Creator for making modes
- Free mode Events
- Themed Updates (Hunting etc.)

Thats roughly around a year or two worth of updates.

Hunter S. Compton
  • Hunter S. Compton

That's the paradox, John. You see?

• Members
  • Nicaragua

Posted 3 weeks ago

I would love for a RDR Online to be good.  But what they did to GTA Online gives me very little optimism.   If they launch with a similar "pay real money for fake money with which you buy in-game stuff" model, it's doomed from the start.

At the last investor think Zelnick said that future monetization would "probably not take the form of digital currency" and I think that's so they can leave the possibility open, since it definitely wouldn't be in their next major release if they told their investors that. What we know doesn't mean sh*t to Take Two. It's what their investors know my man they the ones making the world go round my guy. They gotta know what's going on, so what R* says to them might as well be gospel. They did say they intend to have "recurrent payment opportunities or some other type sh*t, and that could mean DLC, it could even mean some kind of gay loot box sh*t i don't know. But it ain't shark cards.

DexPac
  • DexPac

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure Heists are going to translate to the Old West as well as people think. Yeah, robbing trains and banks with your friends will probably be awesome but I can't really think of anything in the era that would require the elaborate capers of GTA:O's Heists. All you need to get most jobs done is a gun and horse so I can't really picture a need for multiple setup missions before taking the score.

And for me, the hallmark of Heists was all four players having their own unique tasks to accomplish which gave them a bit more replay value. Without those things they'd pretty much just be contact missions. 

What does anyone think they'll do for businesses?  I'm sure they'll have some type of fill a warehouse and sell it system but I don't think they can rely on the formula as much for RDR2. The go there, get this and take it there can be a tedious slog even with helicopters . Doing those sorts of trips repeatedly on horse back would get old pretty quick.

I think a hunting centered business could be cool. Maybe something like the Bunker in GTA where you can drop off your kills and have a "staff" turning it into various food and clothing products. It'd still have a lot of the same GTA elements when it comes to selling but if you could do the hunting at your own leisure it would make it all a little more dynamic and freeing.

• Star-Lord and highzman420 like this

Gray-Hand
  • Gray-Hand

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd prefer not to see any warehousing stuff to be honest. I'd be content with biker contract type jobs.

Although, if they absolutely have to stick with the current formula, we could own and do collection and delivery jobs for:
1. A gold mine.
2. A bank.
3. A courier service similar to the pony express.
4. Our own protection racket that extorts payment in goods.
5. A security firm that transports people.
6. An oil company.
7. No reason that counterfeiting wouldn't be profitable back in the 1890's.
8. Livestock rustling (f*ck, it would not be fun trying to herd a herd of cattle through a lobby full of griefers).
  • highzman420 likes this

-Captain-
  • -Captain-

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 2 weeks ago

Online mode has a lot of potential, but it can also turn into the same sh*t GTA Online is.

I would love to run around on a horse with a couple friends in a huge, open world. Having most, if not all, activities right there and then. Know a train is coming? Best gear up, drive to your stable and attach your car with a Gatling gun  behind a couple horses and take it to the railroad. Rob the local whorehouse, free some of the prisoners from the sherrifs office, do some delivery runs etc. It could be amazing, thought it can also be disastrous.

And for the love of god, I hope this setting attracts a more serious and mature audience. I would love it. Good thing this isn't a game with jets and all that nonsense, so that might scare those kind of people away. And I would like it if, just like with GTA Online, the first two weeks (or more) are just singleplayer.

And no indication whether or not you walked passed an NPC or another player (only if you are friended, in a group etc). That should help against the nonstop killing.

ChrisET
  • ChrisET

Rockstar Games PSYCHO

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ChrisET, 2 weeks ago.

I expect right away online will be liked by most and should be fair and fun (I think the backlash with battlefront 2 was great overall for industry, new games will probably always be soft on forcing sales of micro-transactions) that being said after everyone has glitched for more in game $ the game should get more grindy and less fun over time just like GTA:O.

Do not remember anyone complaining about shark cards in year one on PS3/Xbox360

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users