All that content for GTAO that could easily have been in SP as well

42 replies to this topic
_P136_
  • _P136_

★★★★★

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Some very good thoughts here. Personally I can't comprehend how anyone can be willing to spend actual money in exchange for in-game currency, however there are clearly a lot of people who have no problem doing that, and once game developers realized the potential of this phenomenon there's no going back. If nobody ever bought the Sh* cards we would all be playing GTA VI now already.

The lack of updates to Story Mode is one thing. No purchasable safehouses and very few other interiors could be explained away by the extra workload necessary to enable this. However, what strikes me as particularly vile is how the new vehicles are online-only, although they could be made available in the Story Mode at no extra cost. In fact, there is even special code included to make them impossible to use offline.

This drive to monetize everything has changed the whole in-game experience for the worse. You can even notice this in how the language of vehicle descriptions, originally funny and sarcastic, has become pure actual advertising with the DLC vehicles available for purchase in online only. Rockstar have themselves become what they were originally mocking.

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Some very good thoughts here. Personally I can't comprehend how anyone can be willing to spend actual money in exchange for in-game currency, however there are clearly a lot of people who have no problem doing that, and once game developers realized the potential of this phenomenon there's no going back. If nobody ever bought the Sh* cards we would all be playing GTA VI now already.

The lack of updates to Story Mode is one thing. No purchasable safehouses and very few other interiors could be explained away by the extra workload necessary to enable this. However, what strikes me as particularly vile is how the new vehicles are online-only, although they could be made available in the Story Mode at no extra cost. In fact, there is even special code included to make them impossible to use offline.

This drive to monetize everything has changed the whole in-game experience for the worse. You can even notice this in how the language of vehicle descriptions, originally funny and sarcastic, has become pure actual advertising with the DLC vehicles available for purchase in online only. Rockstar have themselves become what they were originally mocking.

"This is just the beginning", A quote directly from T2 CEO Scrooge- I mean Strauss Zelnick.

_P136_
  • _P136_

★★★★★

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

"This is just the beginning", A quote directly from T2 CEO Scrooge- I mean Strauss Zelnick.

As far as quotes go, this one from the Imran Sarwar interview made my day:

Rockstar [...] see criticisms that too much of the new content in GTA Online is aimed toward high rollers who [...] invest in Shark Cards. What is your response to those complaints?

Every single evolution ever made in the GTA franchise has been treated, at the time, with derision and criticism by sections of the fanbase, including [...] having an African-American protagonist [...]. GTA Online is no different.

So, being against monetization of everything equals racism now.

The rest of that interview is also mostly bullsh*t (no story-mode DLC was ever planned, etc.) but this is taking things to a whole new level.
  • Dangerous and sad likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Am Shaegar, 2 weeks ago.

Personally I can't comprehend how anyone can be willing to spend actual money in exchange for in-game currency, however there are clearly a lot of people who have no problem doing that

Actually, there's nothing wrong in spending money. There are many people who have limited time due to jobs, and such, that they are willing to spend - if it saves the time of ranking up, and acquiring the stuff needed to enjoy the game without much hindrances.
Unfortunately..

.. once game developers realized the potential of this phenomenon there's no going back

This is the problem. The whole game has been designed so as to exploit the players who are impatient, or don't want to spend much time in grinding to unlock certain portions in order to progress in the game.
I don't think microtransactions are bad. It's the faulty system and game design that relies heavily on microtransactions, rather than the skills, and player's ability.
Microtransactions should have been a one-time affair, where you spend the money on major content DLC's to play with your friends without being handicapped by ranks/levels to unlock the content/items in order to make you pay for them, again, and again, in the name of "optional choice" to save time.

It should work just like SP DLC, where you pay once, and for everything, except it requires an internet connection because the content has been designed to play with, or against other human players. They should offer a variety of different content for a reasonable price that went into making it, and not the way Online works in the current format, where you download the FREE updates but need to overcome many hindrances in order to enjoy the game without spending too much time in grinding or ranking up.
Obviously, not everyone has the time to spend hours in leveling up, if spending money saves that much time.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

@Am Shaegar

I was going to ask whether you support the fact that games, which used to be filled with fun, are now filled with "hindrances" to such a degree that people are actually willing to pay good money to make them go away, and suggest that in taking the reasonable position that there is nothing inherently wrong with spending money, you are actually missing the forest for the trees.

However, it seems that you do understand the issues, and are simply pointing out that, once such a system is in place, there will invariably be people who take advantage of it.

This is what I can't stand about the industry--the unscrupulousness. To scruple means to forbear; to not do something even though one can. The truth is that not everyone is unscrupulous. There are people who don't take advantage of an opportunity--or a person--just because they can.

My great-grandfather started a business that my grandfather made quite successful, and he was the most scrupulous person I ever knew. He had principles that he believed in and that he lived by. Basically, some people have an incorrect notion of what 'business' is. Some think that business and unscrupulousness--taking advantage of any possible opportunity to make a buck--are the same thing. Or that business and greed are the same thing. They aren't.

I don't think the big companies that control the modern video game industry are going to change--certainly not as long as the gaming media is willing to take a handout in exchange for a good word. I just wish that there was competition in the AAA space beside CD Projekt RED, who I do not mistake for angels, but who still have that gamer-run studio mentality and pride of workmanship.

• _P136_ likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

No. There's nothing wrong in spending money for "additional content" offered by the developers, because there's a "cost" attached to it. 

But, if the developers start to split the package of the content into different items, and hold a "charge" to unlock them, then there's a problem. The ranking or leveling up system is faulty, and should not be attached with "unlocks" but to upgrade player's ability/skills that fall into the category of "features", and not "content" per se.

This allows every player a fair chance to compete against others, rather than wasting time in grinding to simply remove the hindrances till you rank or level up, which frankly takes a lot of efforts with little incentive in return.

This isn't how I would enjoy multiplayer gaming, no matter how interesting the game may be.

• ROCKSTAR MANIC likes this

Shinola Gamer
  • Shinola Gamer

Player Hater

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted A week ago

I just want features like Bennys Garage, lowriders, I like how in online you can buy a lot of things in the the convenience stores in single player this aspect is more cheap. Damm  I just want to buy Michael some smokes...

• Cutter De Blanc, ROCKSTAR MANIC and Dangerous and sad like this

Mr Tomato
  • Mr Tomato

Y, RB, RB, Left, RB, LB, RT, LB.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I don't and wont ever play online, I'm not that big on online gaming for one, but the actual reason I don't play online, is that driving in a highly detailed open world game is 99% of why I even enjoy the series, but the way vehicles handle without using the slidey cars cheat, is painfully sh#t. 

Not too many people realise, but that cheat, is basically just an unrefined hardcore driving mode, with a little of the right kind of refining, it could have been implemented as a menu option, same as the choice of free aim or assisted aim. If it were picked up and done right, I'd still be playing GTA:O to this day, I'd have even, god help me, spent money on shark cards.

I tried making noise about this waaaay way back, R* responded by rendering the cheat totally useless, then ignoring anyone asking for it to be fixed, why? Because people were enjoying SP, I introduced some people on these forums to a new way to enjoy the game they payed 60 bucks for, one guy on here was so stoked at the replay value the cheat added to gta v he said he felt obliged to wire me 60 bucks for breathing new life into the game, with my guide on how to use slidey cars.

I was lucky and found out the cheat had been R*ekt, before I'd updated to the patch that did it, so for a while there I had the last patch before they broke it, till some numpty played my xbox and updated gta v many months later...  I'm gonna be melodramatic here and say, that was the day the game died for me, that'd have to be over a year ago now.

I've come back to the game recently, I'm playing it unpatched, just to use the slidey cars cheat, I have no intention to play online, but that would change if they fixed the cheat, I'd probably play online and put up with the dreadful driving, just because there is so much more content, I wont though, cause then I wouldnt be able to jump back over to SP and actually have fun driving around. 

F#$K R* and taketwo, you've 110% become the greed driven, putrid corporate dogs that you so passionately hung sh*t on throughout the series, I wont be buying GTA: Next if things continue the way they have with V and I wont be supporting R* in any other way. 

• ROCKSTAR MANIC likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted A week ago

That along with the SP DLC is what should have happened, so Rockstar keeps both fanbases happy. Instead they f*cked over the SP fans in every way (didn't even properly cancel the SP DLC and instead ignored it until a few weeks ago) and clearly only gave a f*ck about Online.

Very disappointing.

• ROCKSTAR MANIC, Dangerous and sad and Pink Pineapple like this

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

The jetpack that is going to be added in the next gta online update. Im not even joking go look at the R* twitter. Great online officially gets EVERYTHING now.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 6 days ago Edited by ACM-Jan, 6 days ago.

The jetpack that is going to be added in the next gta online update. Im not even joking go look at the R* twitter. Great online officially gets EVERYTHING now.

i don't even recognize the game in the trailer anymore, is this gta or some conversion from other company.

anyway if scripthookV gets updated once again after next DLC it's all accessible for story mode.

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

i don't even recognize the game in the trailer anymore, is this gta or some conversion from other company.
anyway if scripthookV gets updated once again after next DLC it's all accessible for story mode.
Not on console though :(

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 5 days ago

im sincerely sorry for them who cant afford any kind of pc that handles gta5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users