Switching between GTA5 and desktop creates a MESS of problems

16 replies to this topic
DethMyst
  • DethMyst

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

If I go back in to the game and use different keys on the keyboard, it jumps me back to desktop doing weird stuff in Windows.

If I switch from GTA to desktop many of the keys on the keyboard cause weird stuff in Windows to happen.

Is there any way to fix this? 

All I want is to load up GTA5, be able to switch back to Windows desktop (Win7 Pro btw) and have normal funcionality of Windows and my keyboard.  All I want to do is be able to run GTA5 and be able to switch back/forth to Windows without disruption of my keyboard while in Windows.

Possible?

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 3 weeks ago

check the wire/connections of the keyboard and try updating graphics card drivers

DethMyst
  • DethMyst

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by DethMyst, 3 weeks ago.

It's nothing physical - as soon as I close the game up everything works fine again. (and my graphics card drivers have nothing to do with keyboard input)

Example: if I load up GTA 5, then hit Start-D to switch back to Windows to do stuff, when I switch back to GTA and hit "R" on the keyboard, it flips back to windows and opens up the bottom-left Start menu.  Other keys do other things like that.  It's almost like GTA and Windows is fighting over key presses.

If I load up GTA and stay in GTA - without flipping back to windows - everything is fine.  It's only when I try to have GTA going and flip back and forth between GTA and the desktop that key presses start doing strange things.

check the wire/connections of the keyboard and try updating graphics card drivers

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ACM-Jan, 3 weeks ago.

that is extremely bizarre, some drivers must be messed up (even graphics drivers can be resposible even when most unlikely) just try to update all the drivers in system, if windows refuses to find new one find them manually.

Or you know what if i encounter this BS i would simply take win 7 DVD and format whole computer and reinstall everything from clean slate.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have Windows 7 Pro x64 and I did not have this issue in 80 hours of Story mode.

I can tell you one thing, though. I have never used "Start-D" to switch to the desktop--I assume you are referring to the Windows key? I use Alt-Tab and have cycled between GTA V and Windows many, many times without any problems.

DethMyst
  • DethMyst

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have Windows 7 Pro x64 and I did not have this issue in 80 hours of Story mode.

I can tell you one thing, though. I have never used "Start-D" to switch to the desktop--I assume you are referring to the Windows key? I use Alt-Tab and have cycled between GTA V and Windows many, many times without any problems.

Yah .. on my Microsoft keyboard (still the most comfortable I've found) it says "Start" on that key, along with the Windows 4-block flag thing on it.  I also use Windows/Start+TAB to switch through programs.  Same issue.

It's fine if I go into GTA5 and just stay there.  The keyboard weirdness only happens once I switch back to Windows desktop (or browser, whatever..)

Re-installing Windows is NOT an option.  This isn't a vanilla type Windows... it's a production workstation that I use for many other things and I'm not about to re-configure everything from scratch.

Warcraft: switch back and forth with no problems.

Guildwars 2: no problems

Star Wars: Old Republic: no problems

GTA5:  messes up my keyboard after switching back to Windows

Hmph!

smurfynz
  • smurfynz

Hayer Plater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 2 weeks ago

I would assume this only happens when you are running GTAV fullscreen.

Are you running it at the same display resolution as the desktop or higher/lower?

Do you have multiple displays or only one monitor?

Have you tried running GTAV in windowed mode or windowed-borderless to see if the task switching issue follows?

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Dryspace, 2 weeks ago.

It just seems clear to me that something other than GTA V is causing the issue. I played in fullscreen mode and alt-tabbed back and forth many times in a single session.

Also, I use a Dell QuietKey keyboard with a PS/2 connector.

One thing I would suggest first: You know the guy who complained to the doctor "It hurts when I press right here"? I would try using alt-tab to switch back and forth, and deliberately not using Start-D or anything else, and see if the problem goes away.

smurfynz
  • smurfynz

Hayer Plater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by smurfynz, 2 weeks ago.

I just replicated the issue.

I have a Logitech G110 so generally have the switch to disable the Windows key activated.

It seems that GTAV does not pass the release of the Windows Key to the O/S so when you return to the desktop, all key presses are modified by the Windows Key combo. e.g. [WINDOWS]+w = Windows Ink Workspace  pops up.

Tapping Windows key again should get you out of it? Possibly playing around with Windows accessibility "Sticky Keys" options may be a more permanent workaround if you insist on using Windows Key shortcuts within the game.

• DethMyst likes this

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

@smurfynz

Good work. He should be fine as long as he never hits the Windows key while in the game...is that correct?

It sounds like he should just use alt-tab in order to cycle out of the game.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ACM-Jan, 2 weeks ago.

that is why i never had problems, always alt+tab or alt-shift+tab around programs during game, windows key actually works as well and pretty interesting 3d layered view to change windows appears if you hold windows key and press tab

DethMyst
  • DethMyst

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by DethMyst, 2 weeks ago.

AAAAaahhh ok. Will try now. 

I generally always use Windows+D because it flips me right back to a clear desktop, then I can click whatever program I want from the bottom bar.

Edit: Seems to be working!   As long as I don't hit the Windows key my keyboard seems to operate normally when flipped back to Windows, with GTA5 running.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!! (esp SMURFYNZ)

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Heyyyy now! Lol. I was the one who first suggested to use alt-tab!

I tell ya, I get no respect!

smurfynz
  • smurfynz

Hayer Plater

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 2 weeks ago

AAAAaahhh ok. Will try now. 

I generally always use Windows+D because it flips me right back to a clear desktop, then I can click whatever program I want from the bottom bar.

Edit: Seems to be working!   As long as I don't hit the Windows key my keyboard seems to operate normally when flipped back to Windows, with GTA5 running.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!! (esp SMURFYNZ)

It is clearly a bug (or an oversight) by R*.

Windows key press events should be handled.

I did a cursory search of the official support forums and a few people have raised it before. Don't know if anyone raised a proper support ticket though. It should be something they can patch.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

When you are a struggling developer and aren't pulling in a whole lot of revenue, it's sometimes hard to get even straightforward bugs fixed.

Maybe if we get the word out, we can spur sales of GTA V and, in turn, see a lot of the issues get ironed out.

DethMyst
  • DethMyst

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Heyyyy now! Lol. I was the one who first suggested to use alt-tab!

I tell ya, I get no respect!

Hehe.. sorry about that - and thank you!

TipToe50Cal
  • TipToe50Cal

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

This happens to me to, I haven't figured out a way to do anything about it besides not going in full screen mode

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users