Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do You Play With Definition On/Off?

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Definition On/Off (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Definition On or Off?

1. On (13 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. Off (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote
ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Definition is the feature that makes the screen a lot clearer, but also removes motion blur. With Definition off, motion blur is enabled. Console versions run with Definition off by default, and you cannot enable it. The toggle feature is only available on PC, and honestly, I don't know why the f*ck anyone would play with it off.

Tomas.
  • Tomas.

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago

Moreover, it's sad that the higher your resolution, the less blur or DOF you have, like you need to play at around 720p or something to have it like on consoles.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

DOF you have, like you need to play at around 720p or something to have it like on consoles.

What's DOF?

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 3 weeks ago

Definition Off, otherwise trees are an eyesore.

Gravarty
  • Gravarty

FeelsAmazingMan

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Gravarty, 3 weeks ago.

Definition Off looks good on consoles, since it's 720p/630p and hides the low draw distance and the lack of AA, which isn't present on PC as well, but can be enabled in the NVIDIA Settings. I always play with Defintion On since i'm really not a big fan of motion blur and it makes the whole game more like a drunk simulator. 

Tomas.
  • Tomas.

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Tomas., 3 weeks ago.

What's DOF?

Depth of field, one of the visual effects disabled by Definition setting.

Definition Off looks good on consoles, since it's 720p/630p and hides the low draw distance and the lack of AA, which isn't present on PC as well, but can be enabled in the NVIDIA Settings. I always play with Defintion On since i'm really not a big fan of motion blur and it makes the whole game more like a drunk simulator.

I wouldn't say that about DOF since it plays a big role in cutscenes where the effects are forced to be enabled (with Definition on). Lack of effects upscaling to higher resolutions makes it even worse IMO.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

What's DOF?

Depth of field, one of the visual effects disabled by Definition setting.

And that is?

MJAY52
  • MJAY52

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

The game is poorly ported. I play with definition off because the graphics aren't too beautiful and motion blur makes the game look a bit smoother and I liked the blurry environment of both GTA:SA (PS2) and GTA IV on consoles imo definition off blur gives more atmosphere to the game but hey its just my opinion 

HigorSM
  • HigorSM

Crackhead

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by HigorSM, A week ago.

I play with it off because i like the motion blur/DOF effect, it's a beautiful effect, especially when driving a car at high speed, or just moving the camera.

And "Definition" is a horrible choice of name, it should be called "Motion Blur", "Depth Of Field", or "Blur", and they should be in different options in the settings

cryptorelic
  • cryptorelic

odĕrint dum metŭant

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 3 weeks ago

Never really thought about it, playing 1.0.4.0 with max settings - getting 55 - 60fps most of the time.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Never really thought about it, playing 1.0.4.0 with max settings - getting 55 - 60fps most of the time.

You should update to 1.0.8.0. I did, and now I'm getting better overall performance out of the game.

Gunnalingus
  • Gunnalingus

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I prefer to play definition off because it makes pedestrian faces clearer. Also there's a difference in cutscenes where with definition on there's some kind of hard line around character's eyes, mouths. Definition off makes city look brighter too. With definition I also notice a flickering on cars, lamp posts and buildings. Definition off provides a clearer image quality. Maybe that depends on graphics card. but definition is better off than on for me. Not so sure about vsync though.

• RaMMy likes this

X-Vector
  • X-Vector

Knight Who Says Nay

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted A week ago

Definition "off" makes my eyes water.

I generally detest DOF and player based motion blur in the first place, but the static blur that GTA IV uses is the worst 'solution' to AA I've ever witnessed - it makes FXAA, MLAA and TXAA look katana sharp in comparison.

Injected SMAA (through SweetFX) doesn't get rid of all jaggies, but it's effective enough.

Zolika1351
  • Zolika1351

Ladies, hide your titties!

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted A week ago

I play with Definition Off, it has the cool depth of field effect, it's also a kind of anti-aliasing as well, and it's how the game was meant to look (since you can't turn it on in the console versions)

Sasha Fierce
  • Sasha Fierce

Player Hater

• Members
  • Denmark

Posted A week ago

On

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Accidentally set it to off once without realising. Thought my graphics card was on the way out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users