Photo

New. Overwhelmed. What To Do First?

27 replies to this topic
FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by FilthyLittleGod, 3 weeks ago.

So.

First post on these boards but I know that GTAV is going to take my life over hard and you'll be seeing a lot more of me!

I installed it last weekend but haven't had time to devote more time to it than passing the prologue and getting through the first mission with Franklin and Lamar.

Quite frankly, I am overwhelmed as to where to begin.

I really love open world games that give you the option to freely roam and explore and collect / discover things and potentially ignore the story for long periods of time.

Is this something I can do in GTA5?

Are there power ups to collect and levelling up I can do just by exploring around?

Are significant and discoverable things marked on the map right off the bat?

Or should I get some story missions under my belt first?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The-Ghost
  • The-Ghost

They mad bro...

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I might be wrong but I think you're talking about story mode, this is the right thread for ya

http://gtaforums.com/forum/239-gta-v/

The thread that you are currently in is for the Online mode.

FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Oh, my bad, thank you!
Wait.

Did my original post get moved to a new section?

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure it was in the online section to begin with, but either way it's fine where it is :)

While I'm here, I'll note that generally with these types of game the story missions serve as a semi-tutorial, introducing you slowly to various parts and features of the game. I'd recommend you just go through the story for now if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I always stick with the story first. Complete the story missions, immerse yourself in the characters, and conversations, and once you are satisfied with the story then move on to sandbox part, exploring everything it has to offer.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

If you are wanting an experience like The Elder Scrolls, or even Just Cause 2, where there are always things to destroy and fights to start wherever you are....unfortunately the answer is "no".

Basically, there are missions (the story), side missions, and activities. For the most part, the activities did not appeal to me, so I just did any side missions that were available between story missions. I will say though, that I did spend a good deal of time driving around, exploring, and generally appreciating the extremely well-realized world.

I was unimpressed with the game on my first try, partly because of the clunky console mechanics, and partly because I was horrified at having to tow cars around with a crackhead and I couldn't understand how this could be considered enjoyable. I paid near full price for a hard copy and was depressed that I had wasted my money, but I gave the game another try several months later and am glad that I did.

There is no real leveling up (that matters much, anyway). GTA V is a thoroughly character-, atmosphere-, and story-driven experience. Just keep pushing forward. At one point, I thought I had wasted over $50, and now I am looking forward to another playthrough.

kidtwist81
  • kidtwist81

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

If single player is overwhelming you should definitely try out the online version. It is even better. Completely jaw dropping the first time. Watching tricked out futuristic racing cars fly past your face at 100mph+ and watching hordes of police men try to follow them, only to then walk around a corner and watch an attack helicopter try to duel with a fighter jet. Down the street you have two guys desperately trying to move a bin lorry full of drugs and in the next county are 3 guys with a big rig full of guns to sell to a mexican warlord. If you can cope with all of that and not duck when fool in a stunt plane is flying upside down to "impress" some 16 yr old kids at breakneck speed then you might live long enough to watch the shady character who lives across the street from you roll up the street in a vintage set of wheels that look like theyre from a Dick Tracey remake! If someone invites you to their "bunker" dont worry, this is just a friendly gesture and better still if you get invited to join a Motorcycle Club you can relive any Sons of Anarchy fantasies you might have had deep down but never realised. 

When you have finally managed to get your head around all of that you will probably move lobbies due to a hacker. 

But hey, thats GTA Online. You're in for a wild ride. 

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Official General, 3 weeks ago.

To be honest, in my opinion there is not much exciting and interesting things to do outside of story mode. So in short, the answer is no. 

I mean if you wanna explore the wilderness and see animals, natural beauty and go hunting etc, then yeah that's something good to do - but not much else. There are not much interiors to discover and explore, there are no crime side missions readily available like drug-dealing, gang wars, gang recruitment/bodyguards, car thefts, pimping etc. You can't even do simple stuff like gambling or betting (well you have the stocks/shares feature, but it's so time consuming and downright boring). The kind of good side stuff you normally get in GTA outside of the story is severely lacking in this game. 

If you have V on PC, you'd better get mods to give you the best SP, free roam experience. 

• B Dawg likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by B Dawg, 3 weeks ago.

If single player is overwhelming you should definitely try out the online version. It is even better.

I wanna know what drugs you're on. They must be pretty strong to make you believe that.

If you wanna ''relive any Sons of Anarchy fantasies you might have had deep down but never realised'', there's a far, far better game for it.

• Official General, Piggsy pls, Misunderstood and 2 others like this

highspeed
  • highspeed

Monster truck everything

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd go to the gun range, get familiar with the shooting (because you'll be doing a lot of it!), and also it'll increase your characters shooting skill. Franklin is a horrible shooter to start off with, so get to blazin'!

Secondly, I'd get used to the driving aspect of the game. Again, you'll be doing a lot of driving. Test ride a few different types of vehicles, get used to how they handle.

More than anything else though, have fun with it! I remember when I first started GTA V, and man, the memories are something that I treasure :)

kidtwist81
  • kidtwist81

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by kidtwist81, 3 weeks ago.

If single player is overwhelming you should definitely try out the online version. It is even better.

I wanna know what drugs you're on. They must be pretty strong to make you believe that.

If you wanna ''relive any Sons of Anarchy fantasies you might have had deep down but never realised'', there's a far, far better game for it.

I am wondering if you were born with a lack of imagination or technology made you that way. I think also you might need to look up the word comparison. 

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I am wondering if you were born with a lack of imagination or technology made you that way. I think also you might need to look up the word comparison. 
Nothing to do with lack of imagination, GTA Online is just crap lol.
  • B Dawg, Official General and Brian_O_Malley like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 3 weeks ago.

First off, what little time I spent in GTAO I could see it was absolutely AMAZING. I know that Online takes a lot of heat, and I myself am completely boycotting it (a useless gesture, obviously) because of the fact that Take2 and Rockstar have used Online as a platform to destroy all meaningful SP support for V. But to characterize GTA O as crap, in and of itself, I have to categorically disagree with.

I wish it was, I really do. Maybe if it truly was crap we would have SP DLC support.

FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wow.

Lots to consider here.

Thanks, all.

Let me ask you guys this - is Online worth trying if you don't have friends to play with?

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Why not? Try it for yourself and decide. If it were me, and I wanted to go online, I would probably get 100% completion in the SP game first, but not everyone cares about 100% completion, and not everyone prioritizes games like I do.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wow.

Lots to consider here.

Thanks, all.

Let me ask you guys this - is Online worth trying if you don't have friends to play with?

Don't really see the point because with or without friends, it's not really enjoyable, well in my opinion. If you're an SP-mostly gamer like myself, then frankly, you will find Online quite rubbish and very tiresome - that was my experience. Do you have V on PC ? If so, modding is the way forward.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wow.

Lots to consider here.

Thanks, all.

Don't really see the point because with or without friends, it's not really enjoyable, well in my opinion. If you're an SP-mostly gamer like myself, then frankly, you will find Online quite rubbish and very tiresome - that was my experience. Do you have V on PC ? If so, modding is the way forward.

I don't think you should discourage him from trying it. Let him build his own opinion.

• Gummy  likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Plus a lot of people really do love the Online part of V.

From everything I have seen and from the very short time I spent in an online room, I would probably be inclined to love it to if Rockstar didn't use Online as a platform to destroy all meaningful SP support. In short, from everything I see GTAO sucks not because it sucks but because of the way it is being handled by Rockstar.

highspeed
  • highspeed

Monster truck everything

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wow.

Lots to consider here.

Thanks, all.

Yeah man, gotta learn it by yourself first anyway. Sure having friends can be of great help in numerous of ways, but it's still a fun game to play by yourself, and besides there's heaps of players to play with - friends or not.

Have fun!

🖕
  • 🖕

../..

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 3 weeks ago

Or why not both, make separate installs for online and mods. For mods I recommend Online Vehicles to SP, Benny's in SP (the new one, the one where car mods ain't free) VisualV, NaturalVision, Realistic Driving V, IV Pack and Vanillaworks.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Piggsy pls, 3 weeks ago.

Plus a lot of people really do love the Online part of V.

From everything I have seen and from the very short time I spent in an online room, I would probably be inclined to love it to if Rockstar didn't use Online as a platform to destroy all meaningful SP support. In short, from everything I see GTAO sucks not because it sucks but because of the way it is being handled by Rockstar.

I can't agree. I think Online in and of itself is terrible. It's like Rockstar's half assed attempt at an MMO. Grindy and boring. The fact that it killed SP was just icing on the sh*t cake.

To OP: The only times I ever had fun in GTA Online was when I played it with friends, when we all had time on our hands. So I won't tell you to try it or not because people have different tastes. Just telling you how my experience was. But also keep in mind that the game is imbalanced to astronomical degrees, so being a newcomer won't be easy.
  • Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Official General, 3 weeks ago.

Wow.

Lots to consider here.

Thanks, all.

I don't think you should discourage him from trying it. Let him build his own opinion.

You're acting like a put a gun to his head forcing him to dislike Online. He's asking for my opinion so I gave it. Don't know why it bothers you, since it's not you concerned. 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 3 weeks ago.

I can't agree. I think Online in and of itself is terrible. It's like Rockstar's half assed attempt at an MMO. Grindy and boring. The fact that it killed SP was just icing on the sh*t cake.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. To me, its a massive open world with teamwork, heists, and a f*ck-ton of incredibly interesting and attractive modes that look amazingly fun. My PC I play on is a 3 year old laptop with a GeForce 770m GPU on it, and it runs fine for SP, but I am going to be upgrading to a monster desktop in a couple of weeks. lol My current desktop is a non starter for V. When I do, I may try out some of the online stuff grudgingly.

I get that its a grind. But the thing is, when it comes to leaderboard based games that have players working their way through many phases of leveling up with XP, aren't most online games a bit grindy? I could be wrong, but I am not seeing what it is that GTAO is so bad or mediocre in terms of actual gameplay and content. Obviously this is all factoring out the abysmal lack of SP support.

I guess I could always go online with my PS3, but as I said, I have been boycotting lol.

Maybe I should snag the PS4/XBone version of the game and go that route for a more stable connection AND more importantly, lol to not be paired with a bunch of Keyboard+Mouse jockeys when I play with a controller and would presumably be at a huge disadvantage.

• highspeed likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 3 weeks ago

Wow.

Lots to consider here.

Thanks, all.

Oh definitely, it's worth a shot - it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it can be a blast if it's what you're into.

kidtwist81
  • kidtwist81

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by kidtwist81, 2 weeks ago.

Online is only a grind if you want to be competitive. If you dont give a toss about the competition and want to carve out your own little niche in the world then you have so much more sandbox in online than you do in the SP. There are other people to interact with also. Some people find that interaction pleasurable, others... from this thread - possibly not so much. 

It entirely depends on what YOU as the individual want from it. 

If you want elite level pvp then this game isnt it. If you want to drive around the game watching other players fight each other and wave their e-peens about then this is the one for you. If you want a city that is "more alive" than the single player then this is definitely it. If you dont mind the negative element - griefing etc - in the OW part of GTA then you will be fine. Some people hate that stuff, others thrive on it. 

Either way, saying something is sh*t - like the people above me did - without elaborating as to why or attempting to answer the questions posed with any meaningful discourse is truthfully just a sign of lack of awareness or care for the question. It is what you make of it. Some love it, some hate it. The only way you will understand which category you fall into is to give it a chance. 

FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

An update.

Still in the VERY early stages of the game due to school, life, and a couple other games I am close to finishing.

A few things I have noticed:

1 - are the controls clunky / awkward on PS4 / consoles in general? I especially feel it in the driving / running / car stealing. It seems sloooooow / unwieldy compared to Sleeping Dogs / Watch Dogs / Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I remember I had noticed this in the very small amount of GTA4 I played for PS3 as well.

2 - I am a couple missions into online, still doing the ones Lamar gives you. I have not noticed any Online craziness happening, so far it has played exactly like the Single Player mode. I am not seeing any other players in my game at all.

3 - still in the very early stages of Single Player and I just had a Strangers & Freaks mission (the second one) disappear off my map. Will it return? Have I missed it for good?

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Dryspace, A week ago.

@FilthyLittleGod

The side missions show up on the map only when the individual in question is available--some are tied to a daily schedule. Just sleep or do something else and it should return.

FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

@FilthyLittleGod

The side missions show up on the map only when the individual in question is available--some are tied to a daily schedule. Just sleep or do something else and it should return.

Just read your reply in my other topic, thank you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users