carGenerators in ymap?!

30 replies to this topic
meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Sometimes it almost feels 5mods forum is dead. :) So, let me try here.

I noticed that every car listed in a Map Editor file, and subsequently gets converted to ymap, disappears. Or, rather, the whole <carGenerators> thing seems to do absolutely nothing. Like:

<carGenerators>
<Item>
<popGroup />
<position x="-375.974884" y="377.385132" z="110.23085" />
<orientX value="0.940832" />
<orientY value="-1.16826189" />
<perpendicularLength value="1.5" />
<carModel>surano</carModel>
<flags value="3680" />
<bodyColorRemap1 value="-1" />
<bodyColorRemap2 value="-1" />
<bodyColorRemap3 value="-1" />
<bodyColorRemap4 value="-1" />
<livery value="-1" />
</Item>

I'm generally not that interested in seeing a few vanilla filler cars spawned, but why don't they ever show up? And the <carGenerators> sections seems to suggest options that might cause one to spawn customly tuned cars (which I really WOULD be interested in).

Thanks.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

How do ymaps work in conjunction with popgroups and popcycles? Do they completely override them, or are they still controlled by the groups and vehicle types that are specified in there?

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

How do ymaps work in conjunction with popgroups and popcycles? Do they completely override them, or are they still controlled by the groups and vehicle types that are specified in there?

Good questions. :) I was hoping to spawn a car like that first, and then take it from there. Looking at this, though, now that you mention it, there's a <popGroup /> within the <Item> even. So, perhaps that's what missing?! Maybe I need to set a popgroup first then (although that would mean it can't be used for addon cars then).

• LeeC2202 likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Just looking through an addon map that I know spawns cars into it and I see the cargenerators look like this:

<Item>
      <position x="-3332.76200000" y="4419.27200000" z="414.38530000"/>
      <orientX value="-7.48865800"/>
      <orientY value="0.41235690"/>
      <perpendicularLength value="5.00000000"/>
      <carModel/>
      <flags value="3680"/>
      <bodyColorRemap1 value="-1"/>
      <bodyColorRemap2 value="-1"/>
      <bodyColorRemap3 value="-1"/>
      <bodyColorRemap4 value="-1"/>
      <popGroup/>
      <livery value="-1"/>
    </Item>

So that has no car model defined, which makes me think that it is controlled by the popcycles.dat and simply spawns whatever car is assigned to that part of the map, in that instance anyway.

There was a thread on 5Mods where Dekuvinator had provided some ymap details for DarthPungz to change the planes at Fort Zancudo. That was spawning an addon plane (The Osprey) in place of the default planes that were there.

I might be barking up completely the wrong tree with the popgroups and popcycles, I just always understood that they were responsible for the vehicles that appeared in the map... which could of course be wrong.

• meimeiriver likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Just tried to search for it (that thread) on 5Mods but I can't use the search function and I can't see the user list. :( I can't find a comment by him (Dekuvinator that is) that would let me see his profile page, to try and track down the comment.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Just looking through an addon map that I know spawns cars into it and I see the cargenerators look like this:

<Item>
      <position x="-3332.76200000" y="4419.27200000" z="414.38530000"/>
      <orientX value="-7.48865800"/>
      <orientY value="0.41235690"/>
      <perpendicularLength value="5.00000000"/>
      <carModel/>
      <flags value="3680"/>
      <bodyColorRemap1 value="-1"/>
      <bodyColorRemap2 value="-1"/>
      <bodyColorRemap3 value="-1"/>
      <bodyColorRemap4 value="-1"/>
      <popGroup/>
      <livery value="-1"/>
    </Item>

So that has no car model defined, which makes me think that it is controlled by the popcycles.dat and simply spawns whatever car is assigned to that part of the map, in that instance anyway.

There was a thread on 5Mods where Dekuvinator had provided some ymap details for DarthPungz to change the planes at Fort Zancudo. That was spawning an addon plane (The Osprey) in place of the default planes that were there.

I might be barking up completely the wrong tree with the popgroups and popcycles, I just always understood that they were responsible for the vehicles that appeared in the map... which could of course be wrong.

You're brilliant as ever! :) I really need to experiment with this; and hope we can actually spawn a car of our choice.

Just tried to search for it (that thread) on 5Mods but I can't use the search function and I can't see the user list. :( I can't find a comment by him (Dekuvinator that is) that would let me see his profile page, to try and track down the comment.

Hmm, it says: ... /user/dekuvinator Not Found

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

I wonder if I have spelled his name right, I was sure it was that. His avatar was black and white, a white skull in a black circle iirc.

Damn it, just checked on Discord, it's Dekurwinator on there.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by meimeiriver, 4 weeks ago.

I wonder if I have spelled his name right, I was sure it was that. His avatar was black and white, a white skull in a black circle iirc.

Found it. :) Thx.

I was going to look at a popgroups.ymt, and see if I could perchance add my own popgroup(s) to an addon DLC, each with like only 1 car in them, so at to force a singular car spawn of my choice. Seems popgroups.ymt files aren't supported by OpenIV yet. Bummer.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by LeeC2202, 4 weeks ago.

I was going to look at a popgroups.ymt, and see if I could perchance add my own popgroup(s) to an addon DLC, each with like only 1 car in them, so at to force a singular car spawn of my choice. Seems popgroups.ymt files aren't supported by OpenIV yet. Bummer.

Get this https://www.gta5-mod...a7-b0d70ab9a39a

Have a look at the files that come with it... a nice clean, untouched popgroups.ymt file is in there. :)

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Get this https://www.gta5-mod...a7-b0d70ab9a39a

Have a look at the files that come with it... a nice clean, untouched popgroups.ymt file is in there. :)

Thank you kindly!! :) This is going to take a bit of sorting out, but it looks very promising! :)

• LeeC2202 likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

I don't know what the situation is with regards making custom popgroups, or if you even can. I also don't know if any custom popgroups (if you can make them) need to be integrated into popcycle.dat, if so, then there's a whole new set of rules to follow inside that file with regards to numbers etc...

Notice the values in this image, they're percentages, not amounts, so they have to add up to 100 in each group.

XV2fr2k.jpg

• _ReNNie_ and meimeiriver like this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

I don't know what the situation is with regards making custom popgroups, or if you even can. I also don't know if any custom popgroups (if you can make them) need to be integrated into popcycle.dat, if so, then there's a whole new set of rules to follow inside that file with regards to numbers etc...

Notice the values in this image, they're percentages, not amounts, so they have to add up to 100 in each group.

XV2fr2k.jpg

Wow. It looks like maybe I'm going about this the wrong way: hardly worth suppressing all traffic in an area, just to spawn one car. :) OpenIV found several popgroups in mods, though; but those may simply be per-DLC overides of the original one. I'm still gonna check it out, though. If it doesn't work out, I may just need to write a script  to spawn a car.

If only this would work properly for me: https://www.gta5-mod...persistance-mod

Oddly enough, it worked for me, for a few days, then, for no apparent reason, vehicles starting turning invisible again.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

How many vehicles are you trying to spawn? I really should learn to read properly. :(

A simple spawn script like I use for my Microlight would work fine for a single car. If you want tuning parts, colours and livery, then it needs a bit more code adding but you have full control over it, so it's worth it in the end I'd say.

It's a lot easier than messing with popgroups, popcycles and seemingly ymaps, going off the trouble you're having.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

How many vehicles are you trying to spawn? I really should learn to read properly. :(

A simple spawn script like I use for my Microlight would work fine for a single car. If you want tuning parts, colours and livery, then it needs a bit more code adding but you have full control over it, so it's worth it in the end I'd say.

It's a lot easier than messing with popgroups, popcycles and seemingly ymaps, going off the trouble you're having.

Yeah. The idea was to spawn like maybe 1 car (and/or helicopter, when a landing pad exists) along with the ymap. That would have been neat, but your expertise on the matter now has me convinced the popgroups route is fruitless -- or at least way too convoluted. It would appear I simply misunderstood the process.

Also, as you well know, spawning addon cars -- that you don't immediately use -- is generally asking for trouble, as they're just using up (often massive) resources in the vicinity. Said Persistence Mod runs the same risks, btw. So, maybe I should just not do that. Thanks for your help on the matter anyway.

• LeeC2202 likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

No problem, I honestly don't think a single spawned addon is going to cause any more damage than you driving round the street in one. If you were bothered about using excess resources, just put a range-finder on it and delete it when you got too far away, then recreate it when you got close again.

Personally, I would just spawn it as persistent and leave it where it was. If it is a car you like to drive a lot, then chances are you would spawn it anyway.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Personally, I would just spawn it as persistent and leave it where it was. If it is a car you like to drive a lot, then chances are you would spawn it anyway.

Yeah, except spawning it persistently doesn't work for me. :) After a while, the cars become invisible; and the author of the mod, while a genius, for sure, is not overly quick in the responding-to-issues department. :)

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah, except spawning it persistently doesn't work for me. :) After a while, the cars become invisible; and the author of the mod, while a genius, for sure, is not overly quick in the responding-to-issues department. :)

Oh, no... I didn't mean spawn it with that persistent mod, I meant with your own spawn script mod. I wouldn't use someone else's mod to spawn a single car.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Oh, no... I didn't mean spawn it with that persistent mod, I meant with your own spawn script mod. I wouldn't use someone else's mod to spawn a single car.

Hehe, yeah, you're right. :) I still have mechanics.vb, from the SPA source, btw; so I actually already have good code example on how to store/spawn cars. Guess it's time I implemented this.

P.S. For the life of me, I can't fathom how a coder can manage to have their spawned cars go 100% transparent after a while. Although I think I've seen this happen in Menyoo too once.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

If you want something knocking together that would use the PYR preset data as configuration, let me know. That way, you could choose a car, get PYR to create a preset, then just copy that line of data into the spawn mod to get it to spawn fully tuned.

With my ever worsening shoulder problem, typing is about the only thing I can do now that doesn't leave me in agony and as much as I am not really writing mods now, I don't mind doing this if you want it. I have to try and sleep now (that should be fun) so drop a reply onto this to let me know either way and I will check it later when I get up.

As for those invisible cars, that is a mystery. Do the cars stay there in any form, like can you get into them, or are they totally gone in every aspect? At one time I would have said Alpha values but I have discovered that cars can't go below 64, so they can never completely disappear because of that. I have seen Simple Trainer spawn a car where it has said it had spawned but nothing appeared. I had often wondered whether the model validation was returning prematurely thinking it had loaded the model but hadn't, so the trainer said "Here's your car" but there wasn't one.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

If you want something knocking together that would use the PYR preset data as configuration, let me know. That way, you could choose a car, get PYR to create a preset, then just copy that line of data into the spawn mod to get it to spawn fully tuned.

With my ever worsening shoulder problem, typing is about the only thing I can do now that doesn't leave me in agony and as much as I am not really writing mods now, I don't mind doing this if you want it. I have to try and sleep now (that should be fun) so drop a reply onto this to let me know either way and I will check it later when I get up.

As for those invisible cars, that is a mystery. Do the cars stay there in any form, like can you get into them, or are they totally gone in every aspect? At one time I would have said Alpha values but I have discovered that cars can't go below 64, so they can never completely disappear because of that. I have seen Simple Trainer spawn a car where it has said it had spawned but nothing appeared. I had often wondered whether the model validation was returning prematurely thinking it had loaded the model but hadn't, so the trainer said "Here's your car" but there wasn't one.

Good thinking on the PYR format! :) I'll look into it.

As for the Persistence Mod rendering your car invisble, yeah, that's really odd. And the cars are really there. If you go near them, you get a prompt to enter them, after which they become visible again (after having been seated). And they have collision, even in their 100% Alpha state. They don't immediately go invisble, btw: usually when you walk away from them a bit, or teleport to a scene with one. But they definitely don't despawn.

I've never had Simple Trainer not spawn a car for me (except when I hit an 'Invalid model', of course). But Menyoo once spawned what must have been that 64% transparent car.

Btw, sorry to hear about your shoulder. And don't worry, I'll slap something together myself, and will let you know.

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

No problem, I honestly don't think a single spawned addon is going to cause any more damage than you driving round the street in one. If you were bothered about using excess resources, just put a range-finder on it and delete it when you got too far away, then recreate it when you got close again.

Recently, I spawned several add-on cars in a row, using Menyoo, just to see which ones I had again. Game crashed; so I set Menyoo to remove the previously spawned car from world (so you'll only ever have 1 manually spawned add-on car, with Menyoo).

Range is an interesting matter, as I've always wondered how 'loaded' off-scene cars really are. Because I don't think all cars, everywhere, stay spawned all the time. Same with ymaps, btw: they are definitely preloaded, but not necessarily 100% present. They seem to be in some sort of 'super-fetch' cache or something, being actuated blisteringly fast when you teleport to the scene. Sometimes it's a race condition even, where you can fall thru the map when you had a TP point on, say, a ymap heli pad**, you teleport to it, but the physics need a few extra miliseconds to load first.

Traffic cars are different, of course; and I reckon they spawn and despawn regularly (based on those popgroups and your own position on the map). But yeah, I wonder if a spawned add-on car, located in Yankton, for instance, while you're near, say, the Tinsel Tower, would continuously eat up resources.

** I tend to create a TP point slightly above the pad, for those cases (like from inside a heli); then, upon TP-ing in, you drop a few inches to the floor, no sweat, but long enough for all physics shapes to have loaded.

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Here's a layout of the PYR preset if you need it, although you don't have the extras in your version.

Spoiler

There are more tuning parts than I use, I just chose the most common ones.

Sorry for the brief reply, my shoulder problem is called a frozen shoulder, which basically fuses the shoulder joint in place. But the pain runs into my fingers, which makes typing painful sometimes... today seems to be one of those times. :(

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hmm, LOL, this is getting weird. I don't even have the Persistence mod installed, yet, when I restart the game, what do I find at Franklin's fancy home?! My Porsche 918 I parked there when I saved!** Wut?! And his crappy white car is gone! (Sic!)  Either I'm going insane, or this is some sort of unknown game feature.

​** And I mean exactly saved 'as is', with all the correct tuning parts. Dafuq?!

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's rather bizarre... I mean I have had some odd happenings with the cars in this game I must confess. The first time I bought a car for Franklin, I spent a fortune upgrading it and it just disappeared out of the game. Michael stole a car off the altruists and when I opened the garage one day, all that was left were the wheels.. Which I found highly amusing because over here in the UK, having your car left on bricks when the wheels have been stolen was quite common at one time. :)

But those were both in-game cars, I don't think I have ever seen it save an addon, then again, I haven't had autosave on for over 12 months and I rarely save, so I don't get much chance for strange things to happen.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

That's rather bizarre... I mean I have had some odd happenings with the cars in this game I must confess. The first time I bought a car for Franklin, I spent a fortune upgrading it and it just disappeared out of the game. Michael stole a car off the altruists and when I opened the garage one day, all that was left were the wheels.. Which I found highly amusing because over here in the UK, having your car left on bricks when the wheels have been stolen was quite common at one time. :)

But those were both in-game cars, I don't think I have ever seen it save an addon, then again, I haven't had autosave on for over 12 months and I rarely save, so I don't get much chance for strange things to happen.

Yes, very strange! Here, have a look!

https://1drv.ms/i/s!...SRPv9vxeDEIzClY

Exactly the way I left it, persistently saved across game restarts. And notice Franklin's crappy white car is gone! (I changed to another ped, for the photo, but car is still gone when I load that savegame).

• LeeC2202 likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

What makes that even more strange, is that it isn't in the same place as Franklin's car would normally be either. I wonder if that car being there, is preventing Franklin's car from spawning?

I did have one other oddity with Franklin thinking about it. I have a fairly unique colour scheme for his car, so it's easy to spot. So one day, I set off from his house, went for a drive around the map and when I came back, his car was back there, even though I was still in it.

It makes me wonder if the game's eagerness to make cars disappear when you're not looking, ends up causing problems sometimes.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

What makes that even more strange, is that it isn't in the same place as Franklin's car would normally be either. I wonder if that car being there, is preventing Franklin's car from spawning?

Like you said, my car didn't obstruct Franklin's one, as I merely parked adjacent to it, at the time. The addon car definitely appears to spawn (and get preserved across saves) in lieu of Franklin's car, though. It must be a proximity/radius thing. And the car *does* disappear too, when you're too far away for a while (just like Franklin's car: if you're not there, and TP in with a different ped, his white car won't be there).

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by LeeC2202, 3 weeks ago.

I was going to ask if you had used the phone-based save or the bed. But after trying an experiment, I am not sure... I loaded up my normal game which starts with Trevor outside his desert trailer. I drove to the airfield in his Bodhi, got out of his Bodhi and spawned another car. I then drove back to his trailer and parked my car in his parking spot and then saved via the phone. When I reloaded that save game, his Bodhi was back in the normal spot and the other car was sat in the middle of the road. So both had spawned, but it had moved the addon car out of the way.

The minute you switch to another Ped, all main character vehicles are removed. A lot of the time I switch to Kokoro when I start and when I get to the airfield, Trevor's helicopter is gone.

I actually had a rather amusing incident recently during a Ped swap. For some reason, when I swap peds, I often find Trevor still stood where I swapped models. I had got into a bit of hassle with a local redneck nearby in the petrol station, next thing, Trevor comes over the fence, guns blazing and takes out the Redneck. He got shot a few times but just got back up. So it was like he still had the god mode I had on and decided to get involved in the shooting fun as well. :D That was the first time I had ever seen the swapped out character do anything other than just stand on the spot.

• meimeiriver likes this

LeeC2202
  • LeeC2202

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by LeeC2202, 3 weeks ago.

Oooohh, just to add some mystery fuel on this fire. I tried to replicate it with Franklin. Look familiar? :D I actually saved it stood in the living room but it started me outside on the bike... very odd.

N2F0cOl.jpg

Parking the addon across the street resulted in this... interesting. Next thing to try is to get a standard vanilla car from somewhere else, park it where the Porsche is (in the above location) and see if that causes the same thing. It might be a quirk of persistent vehicles in just the right (or wrong) place that causes it. Normally, the game decides if a car is persistent or not, so it might not happen under normal circumstances.

fvbPDJn.jpg

Edit: And the answer to "Does it happen with vanilla vehicles?" is yes, it does exactly the same. Park another vehicle in that location and it removes Franklin's default vehicle.

• meimeiriver likes this

meimeiriver
  • meimeiriver

Crackhead

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

I was going to ask if you had used the phone-based save or the bed. But after trying an experiment, I am not sure... I loaded up my normal game which starts with Trevor outside his desert trailer. I drove to the airfield in his Bodhi, got out of his Bodhi and spawned another car. I then drove back to his trailer and parked my car in his parking spot and then saved via the phone. When I reloaded that save game, his Bodhi was back in the normal spot and the other car was sat in the middle of the road. So both had spawned, but it had moved the addon car out of the way.

The minute you switch to another Ped, all main character vehicles are removed. A lot of the time I switch to Kokoro when I start and when I get to the airfield, Trevor's helicopter is gone.

Little confused here. Isn't the Bodhi Franklin's crap car?! Anyway, the thing is, I had saved as Franklin inside his fancy stilt home (with the phone; is there a difference?), but when I had switched to my fave Beverly Hills ped (who I lovingly call Beverly), when I got outside, my custom addon Porsche 918 was still there, and hadn't gone away (like in your case). In fact, I had parked the car as her too. (Sic!)

Oooohh, just to add some mystery fuel on this fire. I tried to replicate it with Franklin. Look familiar? :D I actually saved it stood in the living room but it started me outside on the bike... very odd.

N2F0cOl.jpg

Parking the addon across the street resulted in this... interesting. Next thing to try is to get a standard vanilla car from somewhere else, park it where the Porsche is (in the above location) and see if that causes the same thing. It might be a quirk of persistent vehicles in just the right (or wrong) place that causes it. Normally, the game decides if a car is persistent or not, so it might not happen under normal circumstances.

fvbPDJn.jpg

Edit: And the answer to "Does it happen with vanilla vehicles?" is yes, it does exactly the same. Park another vehicle in that location and it removes Franklin's default vehicle.

^^ Good stuff in there! :) Thanks. I was going to do an experiment, trying to replace Franklin's equally crap green motor bike (if you can even call it that) too; but if I'm reading your pictures right, it's the car only.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users