60 fps Breaks The Game (sorta)

5 replies to this topic
ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Have any of you guys played the 3D GTAs on 60fps or higher? If you have, like me, you'll notice that the game kinda goes haywire, and to fix it, you must turn on Frame Limiter. In IV's case, it's VSync. Now I'm not saying 60fps breaks the game (coz it doesn't) but it just introduces some unwanted bugs, (none of which are game breaking) such as:

When the game says Loading in bottom right corner, the text flashes super fast instead of just glowing through.

During cutscenes, nothing is smooth, everything just stutters it's way across the screen.

Character's heads are cut off during cut scenes, it's almost as if the screen is zoomed in evey time a cutscene plays.

I know these aren't game breaking, and I already know what people are going to say: Turn on VSync. Is there a way to resolve these issues while keeping the game on 60fps?

Tomas.
  • Tomas.

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Tomas., 4 weeks ago.

Well it's not only that no modder was interested to do reverse engineering (if it's not a really big deal of course) and find out at what FPS this game, or at least some mechanisms behave properly (e.g. it's 30 FPS for III/VC/SA with SilentPatch). Personally I think 50 FPS is the golden mean since if < 50 - fast movement of startup R* logos, loading screens and stuff, if = 50 - normal movement, but the more FPS, the slower this stuff is.

• ClaudeIzABadAzz likes this

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Personally I think 50 FPS is the golden mean since if < 50 - fast movement of startup R* logos, loading screens and stuff, if = 50 - normal movement, but the more FPS, the slower this stuff is.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's a shame that there's no way to cap the game at 50.

but the more FPS, the slower this stuff is.

Don't you mean the less FPS, the SLOWER this stuff is? 

Tomas.
  • Tomas.

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Tomas., 4 weeks ago.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's a shame that there's no way to cap the game at 50.

You can, via NVIDIA Profile Inspector or something.

No, frontend stuff like R* logos is FPS-dependent as well and seems to behave like that (except that "Loading..." in bottom right corner which is faster instead), you can check it out for yourself.

Vsync limits your FPS to your current refresh rate by the way (75 Hz - 67 FPS on patch 7), which is another dumb decision by R* instead of making Frame Limiter like in previous games, to use appropriate FPS for proper behavior if games cannot be FPS-independent.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah but I'm new to PC Gaming and don't have much experience with that stuff.

No, frontend stuff like R* logos is FPS-dependent as well and seems to behave like that (except that "Loading..." in bottom right corner which is faster instead), you can check it out for yourself.
I get what you're saying, like when the game has just booted up, and R* logos come up, it doesn't even looking like their moving, they almost look stationary.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Vsync limits your FPS to your current refresh rate by the way (75 Hz - 67 FPS on patch 7), which is another dumb decision by R* instead of making Frame Limiter like in previous games, to use appropriate FPS for proper behavior if games cannot be FPS-independent.

I just applied the 1.0.8.0 Patch and it literally fixed everything and even gave me a steadier frame rate!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users