Driving speed on the Garver Bridge

9 replies to this topic
j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I noticed that cars go much slower over the Garver Bridge near San Fierro than expected in both directions. The brige seems slightly bent uphill towards the middle. But even when approaching the end at the intersection (seemingly downhill), my car would go slower than on flat land and then suddenly start picking up speed. Why is this so?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted A week ago Edited by OrionSR, A week ago.

I think I read something about speed limits in certain areas fairly recently, but I can't find the reference.

Found it: http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1069335043

Has something to do with cull zones. The Carver Bridge isn't mentioned specifically but it sounds like the bridges in general have extra wind resistance.

• j7n likes this

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

"Air Resistance" fits my observations well. I always thought that I had framerate issues on the Strip (which I did, but it wasn't the root cause of the slow speed). But the bridge has fairly sparse scenery around it.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted A week ago

Do you have all of the answers you are looking for or would you like to continue this investigation? I used to have a cull zone map, but I'm not sure if I can find it again. I run a search. It'd be sad to lose the data. But I don't have anything that "names" the cull zones. I can't really tell which is which without plotting the coordinates on a map. The military zones are easy enough to pick out but otherwise I'm not too familiar with cull zone data. I use them regularly in-game to hide from cops in restricted areas but that's about it.

• j7n likes this

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago Edited by j7n, 6 days ago.

I was only interested in finding out if others can reproduce the effect and for an explanation, which the other helpful topic provided: that it is a speed limit to increase the apparent size of the map, and allow time for it to load.

RationalPsycho
  • RationalPsycho

Glitchtor Vance

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago Edited by RationalPsycho, 6 days ago.

Yes, this happens to all versions, and the phenomenon is easy to observe with a speedometer mod. There are a few areas on the map I recall at the moment, namely Garver Bridge, The Strip (all the way from the branch on top down to the highway), the straight line that passes by the Doherty garage all the way uphill (keep this in mind when passing the final test of the Driving School), and somewhere in Richman. I don't remember exactly where though, but I think the road was very wide. Around where a race starts, and an incredibly frustrating one at that, because you are given the sh*tty GT.

Your vehicle can eventually reach its top speed in these areas again by activating the Nitro. When the Nitro boost is over, your speed starts decreasing again. Also, some vehicles, particularly slow ones like the Monster and Tanker, don't seem to be affected by this speed drop. Who knows what the programmers were thinking :/

• OrionSR likes this

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 6 days ago Edited by OrionSR, 6 days ago.

Interesting. The slow vehicles that you mention have a unique "ag" flag in handling.cfg.

;	7th digit	1: USE_MAXSP_LIMIT

Untested hypothesis: Fast vehicles with the USE_MAXSP_LIMIT flag enabled will perform better in areas with extra wind resistance.

Testing notes: The Hazard Editor has a tool that can edit handling flags of vehicles in a garage. Experiments with modifying the rear wheel steering flag suggest that editing some flags of vehicles in a garage may not always provide identical results as editing the flags in handling.cfg. For example, rear wheel steering can be disabled on a Monster by removing the flag in a garage, but to enable rear wheel steering on a vehicle the flag must be enabled in handling.cfg and on the vehicle.

I've been running occasional experiments with Super Bikes - otherwise normal NRGs and FCRs with both gear boosts and offroad ability flags set by editing the flags only in the garage. I think I'll add this flag to the modification list to see if it'll out perform similar vehicles.

Is anyone interest in running a few objective tests? I can customize a save for the experiments if you'd like. Something like: 2 normal vehicles with and without the speed limit flag, and 2 "super" vehicles with and without just to see if super is better or worse than normal. Bridges with the barriers removed before YKBB should provide a traffic free test area, but I could also restrict the traffic in specific areas or the entire map.

Added: cull.ipl data is not saved. I would expect any modifications to this file to take effect when the game is restarted. Modifications to handling.cfg will apply to all vehicles created after the change. Vehicles in the garage will retain the flags used when the vehicle was created.

RationalPsycho
  • RationalPsycho

Glitchtor Vance

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

The slow vehicles that you mention have a unique "ag" flag in handling.cfg.

Is anyone interest in running a few objective tests? I can customize a save for the experiments if you'd like. Something like: 2 normal vehicles with and without the speed limit flag, and 2 "super" vehicles with and without just to see if super is better or worse than normal. Bridges with the barriers removed before YKBB should provide a traffic free test area, but I could also restrict the traffic in specific areas or the entire map.

There are more. That was all I could think of at the moment. The Dune is probably another one, as well as a few other vehicles with the same top speed (110 km/h?).

I might do the testing. Although I'm not very familiar with Save Editors, I learn pretty quickly ;) I do have a speedometer, which does come in handy in cases like this. Even if it doesn't display the correct top speed, it still creates a consistent point of reference. Also, if you customise a Save File, no need to tweak the traffic. For casual tests like this, I can disable traffic completely by starting "Trucking" and exiting the compound whilst ignoring the truck; the traffic density will be set to 0.

nader91
  • nader91

B.G.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 days ago

i was driving around LV (LV strip to be exact) in a pcj-600 and it was slower than usual... idk why... could it be the case that you are >meant< to drive slower on the strip to absorb the scenery?

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 days ago

Wind resistance? How is that calculated? Does it change over time like storms = high, clear days = low, etc.?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users