Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:50 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 09 October 2017 - 06:52 PM.

Been watching The Deuce. Got me thinking about good Blaxploitation films. 

Blaxploitation or blacksploitation is an ethnic subgenre of the exploitation film, emerging in the United States during the early 1970s. Blaxploitation films were originally made specifically for an urban black audience, but the genre's audience appeal soon broadened across racial and ethnic lines..  - Wikipedia

I really like New York as a back drop for a movie, especially when it's old, gritty crime-ridden New York of the 70's/80's before it became a playground for the rich. A lot of films, like the Blaxploitation films seem to be set there.

I know these films aren't generally groundbreaking or rated too well but they've certainly secured their place in cinematic history. They're very of-the-time and are sort of satirized and mocked a lot over the years. I'm hoping to watch maybe 3 or 4 good ones to get a good grasp.

There's the most obvious or more famous film Shaft but I want to see if there's any good gems out there

Superfly came up on my radar as well as The Education of Sonny Carson. This scene had me.. 

Just watch this man jump a fence at 0.55, lol. Don't f*ck with this guy, sucka!

On a side-note (as were on a GTA forum) I could imagine pre-HD era Rockstar doing a Blaxploitation GTA. 

SonnyNapoli
  • SonnyNapoli

Wiseguy

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

Not sure if Across 110th Street is the case, but if it is so - it's certainly one of the best ones.

I liked Black Godfather and Shaft aswell.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:51 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 09 October 2017 - 09:52 PM.

Yeah man, thanks. I know that song didn't know it was it was a film too or featured in a film called Across 110th Street too Sounds good. I'll give it a watch. 

BTW, I like the Prop Joe quote in your sig. I always say that every time I'm dressed up now :p

• SonnyNapoli likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

Apart from Shaft I haven't really seen any unless you count Jackie Brown which was a homage to the blaxploitation genre. Pam Grier who was the main character made her name in blaxploitation films I believe.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:40 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 10 October 2017 - 03:09 PM.

Apart from Shaft I haven't really seen any unless you count Jackie Brown which was a homage to the blaxploitation genre. Pam Grier who was the main character made her name in blaxploitation films I believe.

Yeah Jackie Brown is amazing. It might be my favourite Tarantino film after True Romance. 

Jackie Brown pays homage to Foxy Brown and yes, I think you are right, the whole genre too. Even in Pulp Fiction, Samual Jackson's character is pure Blaxploitation to the max. 

Foxy_Brown_movie_poster.jpg

• Neon_Dreaming likes this

DerangedCrackhead
  • DerangedCrackhead

punk de molde

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by DerangedCrackhead, 4 weeks ago.

It's been mentioned before but Across 110th Street is an imprescindible one. From what I can remember, it's a pretty raw movie that captures quite well the grim vibe of the old NYC, without falling in the pompous style of other blaxploitation movies.

I'll keep an eye in this thread, I've been interested for a while in making a cycle of blaxploitation and contemporary Jamaican crime movies.

A quick edit, though maybe it's not strictly a blaxploitation movie, I would recommend the 1973 film The Spook Who Sat by the Door, based on an homonymous novel, about a black CIA field officer who, disenchanted by the still present institutional racism, quits the Agency and moves to the suburbs of Chicago, where he plans a black revolutionary movement to fight back. I was positively surprised when I watched it, as I expected some bland cheesy movie when it's actually not a bad film at all.

• Mister Pink and Voodoo like this

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Richard Power Colt, 4 weeks ago.

This is the best one obviously ;)

Sorry...

• Mister Pink, ClaudeSpeed1911 and Zello like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 4 weeks ago

Who could forget Sweet Sweetback?

• Voodoo likes this

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ClaudeSpeed1911, 4 weeks ago.

This is the best one obviously ;)

Sorry...

Why sorry? This movie is awesome and funny as hell.  :cool:

Richard Power Colt
  • Richard Power Colt

What doth LIFE Life life?

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Yeah I agree, but it's a parody and not a genuine blaxploitation film so I guess it's slightly off-topic.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, 4 weeks ago.

It's been mentioned before but Across 110th Street is an imprescindible one. From what I can remember, it's a pretty raw movie that captures quite well the grim vibe of the old NYC, without falling in the pompous style of other blaxploitation movies.

I'll keep an eye in this thread, I've been interested for a while in making a cycle of blaxploitation and contemporary Jamaican crime movies.

A quick edit, though maybe it's not strictly a blaxploitation movie, I would recommend the 1973 film The Spook Who Sat by the Door, based on an homonymous novel, about a black CIA field officer who, disenchanted by the still present institutional racism, quits the Agency and moves to the suburbs of Chicago, where he plans a black revolutionary movement to fight back. I was positively surprised when I watched it, as I expected some bland cheesy movie when it's actually not a bad film at all.

snip

Thanks for the recommendation. The Spook Who Sat By The Door sounds very interesting. 

I'll certainly get around to Across 110th Street.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Administrator
  • Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

In addition to a few already mentioned, here are some of my favorites...

Coffy (1973)

Tie-in with the women in prison genre...

Black Mama White Mama (1973)

^^^Also, Sid mothaf*ckin Haig.

Cleopatra Jones (1973)

Dolemite (1975)

• Femme Fatale likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users