The first Vlad mission

46 replies to this topic
maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:45 AM

You know, the one where you have to smash the window with the brick?

On the opposite corner to the China shop there are two clothing stores. 

One is called SAS one is called RAGE. They both sell women's clothing. 

The plot of this game is that you are Russian military. You hang out with Russians and you can even buy that Russian bear military hat thing. There is even a Russian radio station. 

Do you think they did that clothing store on purpose? SAS is like British Delta Force. And it's like they're calling them sissies and trying to get them to snap.

If you were a Russian ex-pat, and getting I'm to the whole 'love for the motherland' vibe and saw that, would you lose your sh*t? Would that scare you? Do you think they designed it like that? 

It's like that movie with Bruce Willis where he walks down the street with a placard calling out n**ers and gets jumped. 

Do you think it's supposed to f*ck with you like that? It's like you're a woman, or play as a Russian. Both to make you angry if played from the perspective of a British soldier on downtime. 

The game would definitely be of interest for analysis by the KGB. Look at the plot. Russian ex military in the US underworld, with KGB connotations. 

And then, BAM! Raging SAS greets you straight away. Broken glass window enter into subconscious.

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:24 AM

Okay and now the first mission with Jacob after the one from Roman where there is a shootout and he enters:

Gila's Corset and Lingerie shop.

And next to Gila's is:

Kings Sized Men's Fashion. The street signage is a teal/aqua color, the same as MI6 headquarters.

And the UK has royalty so like kings and queens....

In this case, drag queens.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

Niko is not Russian, he's from Yugoslavia, modern day Serbia.

• DaddyDirection likes this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

The game says he was in the Russian army. 

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

A Russian that speaks Serbian (badly, but still)?

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

All I know is Serbian for how are you sounds similar (but clearly different) to how are you in Russian. And that they both use Cyrillic. 

And that NATO bombed Serbia to stop their ethnic cleansing. 

Cebra
  • Cebra

I'm in the Christmas spirit. Vote for me.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Canada

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

When is that mentioned? Niko is very clearly Serbian from the two times he talks about his nationality. In the first mission Roman says that Niko's English is better than his own Serbian, and later on when Niko works for Playboy X he explicitly tells him that he's not Russian.

• universetwisters, Mega, DaddyDirection and 1 other like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Coldest Winter

• Members
  • South-Korea

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

Remember, no Russian
  • Banana, Plank. and Mega like this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

Roman clearly says at the begining getting into his cab "i must brush up on my Serbian" also in the gunshop Nikko says "Im not Russian"

• Luke Ferris likes this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

The game has personality traits. 

Going to an American gun store and saying you are Russian would not fit. Look at the radio station 'We know the truth'.

You can't take that on face value. But if they speak Serbian they speak Serbian. 

I thought he says his English is worse than his Serbian, and as he is fresh off the boat, I am assuming his Serbian is non existent. 

Also Radio Vladivostok. Vladivostok is in Russia. And the Russian military hat. 

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Niko doesn't speak any Russian at all either.

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

exactly he is not Russian just let it go lol

• universetwisters and Jeansowaty like this

CreepShow
  • CreepShow

My brothers, let's roll!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

2017 and this fight is still on the table.

Dude, he's freaking serbian.

• Zello, ProKiller93 and MSXDK like this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Why did they give him a Russian hat and radio Vladivostok?

When is that mentioned? Niko is very clearly Serbian from the two times he talks about his nationality. In the first mission Roman says that Niko's English is better than his own Serbian, and later on when Niko works for Playboy X he explicitly tells him that he's not Russian.

Yeah this too. He is fresh off the boat. I assumed this to mean he doesn't speak Serbian. 

Like when you meet a Chinese who says their English is poor and you respond it is better than your French. Because you don't speak French. 

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Vladivostok FM was advertised by Rockstar as an Eastern European community radio station so it does not imply that Niko is Russian. According to Wiki (if anyone has a link to the actual quote that would be great) Dan Houser even said that Niko's nationality was left intentionally vague other than him being from somewhere in Eastern Europe.

• universetwisters likes this

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

here we go...............

Niko's nationality is never specified in the game and has been a subject of some debate.[4] Prior to the game's launch, the consensus was that he hailed from either Russia or Bosnia and was ethnically of mixed Croatian and Serbian background.[5][6][7] Executive producer Dan Houser spoke on the matter saying that Niko is "from that grey part of broken-down Eastern Europe", suggesting that Niko's nationality was left intentionally vague or to the interpretation of the player.[8]

• JB1982 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Why did they give him a Russian hat and radio Vladivostok?

Hey guys I think Niko is actually Puerto Rican because he hangs around Manny and Elizabeta and there's a San Juan radio in the game.
  • Mega, Gummy , eCola and 1 other like this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:07 AM

No radio Vladivostok is relevant because he is 'eastern European' and can buy a Russian army hat. The other stations do not bear on the plot and are personal preference or to add atmosphere. 

Radio Vladivostok is definitely a plot point.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:16 AM Edited by Zello, 10 October 2017 - 01:36 AM.

So what if a Cuban could go out buys a sombrero and listens to a Mexican radio station does that make him Mexican?

No

• MSXDK likes this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:03 AM

And if your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle. 

Really, that is your argument? Word association game?

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

No radio Vladivostok is relevant because he is 'eastern European' and can buy a Russian army hat. The other stations do not bear on the plot and are personal preference or to add atmosphere. 

Radio Vladivostok is definitely a plot point.

I disagree that it is a plot point, sorry. It's just a radio station. There are several stations in GTA IV that are representative of the various communities and cultures within the city. Tuff Gong represents the Jamaican community for example. You said it yourself that they add atmosphere to the game and having a station catering to the Eastern European community is doing exactly that. It's something the GTA games have been doing for years.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

He can also buy a plaid shirt but that doesn't mean he's a grunge rocker. Where's your logic that wearing a Russian army hat = Niko served in the Russian Army? If your theory is to be believed, wouldn't he already have a hat from his time in the Russian army and therefore, wouldn't need to buy one?

Also how is Radio Vladivostok a plot point? Do you even know what a plot point is?

• JB1982 likes this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

They encourage you to Russia-fy your character. Some one said he translated them to Serbian so I guess if they are literally speaking Serbian, then they really mustn't be Russian. 

Nico has an email, one of the first, where he writes to someone back home. He states their poor English is much better than his. There is also foreign text that is not Cyrillic. That would mean neither Russian or Serbian. If you are to take everything literally. 

So I assume I interpreted correctly the tone behind the statement made by Roman when he said Nico's English is better than his Serbian. That he's not a Serbian speaker. 

Maybe they are Chechen. Or were fighting Chechen's. 

Also Roman is a Russian name. Nico could be Nikolai. Like how Tom is Thomas. Also Brucie refers to 'red army sh*t' frequently. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

They encourage you to Russia-fy your character. Some one said he translated them to Serbian so I guess if they are literally speaking Serbian, then they really mustn't be Russian. 

>one hat with a russian flag on it

>game encouraging you to become a Russian

So by that logic, the game also encourages you to have poor vision by buying glasses? Come on, you're clenching straws.

co has an email, one of the first, where he writes to someone back home. He states their poor English is much better than his. There is also foreign text that is not Cyrillic. That would mean neither Russian or Serbian. If you are to take everything literally. 

It's Serbian. This video has proof analyzing it.

So I assume I interpreted correctly the tone behind the statement made by Roman when he said Nico's English is better than his Serbian. That he's not a Serbian speaker. 

Niko speaks Serbian in the first mission and Roman forgot it and he said that Niko's Serbian is better than him. 

Also Roman is a Russian name. Nico could be Nikolai. Like how Tom is Thomas. Also Brucie refers to 'red army sh*t' frequently. 

Roman isn't a predominantly Russian name.

Please, do your research before you make a fool of yourself.

• Cebra and slimeball supreme like this

Cebra
  • Cebra

I'm in the Christmas spirit. Vote for me.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Canada

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:54 AM

Nico has an email, one of the first, where he writes to someone back home. He states their poor English is much better than his. There is also foreign text that is not Cyrillic. That would mean neither Russian or Serbian. If you are to take everything literally. 

Now listen here you incessant little sh*t...

I joke, but UT pretty much dissected your theory. The reason you're encouraged to "Russia-fy" Niko is because Hove Beach is predominately a Russian neighborhood and the Russian Shop sells - you guessed it - Russian-themed clothing. Your point about Niko's emails with his mother is actually among the best evidence there is that Niko is a Serb. The opening line of her first email is "Nadam se da si dobro i da si srecan u Americi" - "I hope you are well and happy in America," not in Russian but in Serbian. Why would Niko's mother be writing to him in Serbian if they weren't Serbian? Besides that, Bellic is definitely not a Russian name (rather misspelled and mispronounced Serbian; it should be Belić and pronounced the same way Darko and Florian's last names are).

Here's Niko explicitly saying "I ain't Russian" when the gun shop owner assumes he is, timestamped for your viewing pleasure.

Here's Niko explicitly telling Playboy X multiple times that he's not Russian and he's never been to Russia, timestamped for your viewing pleasure.

Dude's Serbian.

• universetwisters, slimeball supreme, Zello and 2 others like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

So just to confirm. Niko is Serbian right? ;)
  • Cebra likes this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:32 PM Edited by maundy, 17 October 2017 - 06:34 PM.

Roman owes money to Albanian loan sharks. 

Niko then works for Vlad. Roman says he hopes Vlad doesn't get mad that he is drinking at his bar instead of repaying him when you go there for a date. Is Vlad Albanian?

No. 

Niko has a eastern European accent. The game starts with radio Vladivostok. Vladivostok is in Russia. You can buy that Russian bear hat. You work with the Russian mob. You are being encouraged to identify the character as Russian. 

"Your English is better than my Serbian." Could EASILY mean that he is trying not to belittle him as he speaks NO SERBIAN. 

Also Albania and Serbia had a mini war, because Serbians were ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. It is not feasible for them to be working together. Roman even says in one random call (where he is not arranging a date, after I think the first Elizabetha mission) if you get bored go watch TV. The American stuff is so much better than what we have back home. Nico says back home we have all the American shows. Roman says back home you watch TV and your home gets bombed. 

So maybe they are Serbian. Maybe not. And maybe Vlad is Albanian. Unlikely.

Now listen here you incessant little sh*t...

I joke, but UT pretty much dissected your theory. The reason you're encouraged to "Russia-fy" Niko is because Hove Beach is predominately a Russian neighborhood and the Russian Shop sells - you guessed it - Russian-themed clothing. Your point about Niko's emails with his mother is actually among the best evidence there is that Niko is a Serb. The opening line of her first email is "Nadam se da si dobro i da si srecan u Americi" - "I hope you are well and happy in America," not in Russian but in Serbian. Why would Niko's mother be writing to him in Serbian if they weren't Serbian? Besides that, Bellic is definitely not a Russian name (rather misspelled and mispronounced Serbian; it should be Belić and pronounced the same way Darko and Florian's last names are).

Here's Niko explicitly saying "I ain't Russian" when the gun shop owner assumes he is, timestamped for your viewing pleasure.

Here's Niko explicitly telling Playboy X multiple times that he's not Russian and he's never been to Russia, timestamped for your viewing pleasure.

Dude's Serbian.

This has already been gone over. Roman could be a Russian name. Nikolai definitely is. 

This game has a story. A very detailed one. The Lost identify as American and that commies are bad and get beaten up. Like when Niko has to rescue Vlad's daughter. 

That is a plot point. There is the radio station WKTT. 

Going in to a second amendment store and saying I AM RUSSIAN would ruin the plot. 

Many people lie about their origins. It is very common for Chinese people to say they are Japanese when asked in the first 20 seconds of meeting someone where they are from, because of the preconceptions about China.

Nico saying he is not Russian doesn't mean sh*t when you look at the plot.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

I give up.

If you want to believe he's Russian despite the OVERHWELMING evidence he isn't, that's your problem.

• Cebra, Zello and DaddyDirection like this

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:33 AM

I don't believe he's Russian. I am defending the slurs made against my ability to reason.

Like I said, if they are speaking Serbian then he's not Russian. GTA is not so low budget that near enough/sounds similar would do. 

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:07 AM

NIKO IS NOT f*ckING RUSSIAN HE SAYS IT LIKE 10 TIMES IN THE STORY AND THEY MENTION SERBIA 100 TIMES IN THE STORY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users