Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is RDR 2 releasing date the end of GTA Online... Or maybe they will keep it updated until Bully 2?

141 replies to this topic
zoso80
  • zoso80

Uninstalled GTA 10-6-17, an era comes to a close.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by zoso80, A week ago.

Yes, The Benz had to push the online. But like introducing someone to heroin, once the Housers got a taste of that online income. It was over. What the Houser's have done in the intervening years is a perversion of what The Benz had in mind. 

There is no dispute that GTA would've been in better hands with The Benz. For his faults, the content wouldn't have been reduced to cut-and-paste and embarrassing pandering superhero rip off content.  He'd have given us a more balance approach and likely gone down the Hiests type of content (which is what so many still want) and missions that connect GTA:O to storymode.

Cheers.

Spoiler
  • Perez84, Rafae and elfoam like this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

Oh we're talking about some pieces of sh*t I see...The Housers. Well then...

The Housers can't make a good GTA game without Benz.  Case in point the first 2 GTA games were flops. Wasn't until 3 when the Benz took control they finally had success. And they've been riding those coat tails forever now.  Welp 5 will be regarded as the pinnacle and downfall of the franchise I think.   6 will be a cluster f*ck of horrible ideas, only the Benz won't be there to stop them from self destruction. 

6 will mark the end of R* probably, then again there are stupid blind fan bois who will throw there money at anything and there numbers are in lemming masses. Ready to jump over a cliff at the drop of a hat should R* say to do so.

it was " the benz" who forced this whole online idea down their necks. the housers wanted to focus on the SP story but benz had other plans.

resulting is a sour partnership during development and a mediocre story.

have the housers gone bad? yes. but "the benz" isn't that holy either. far from it.

Well GTAV story mode is on it's own was nothing special. Imagine if this game had no online version it would have been forgotten by November 2013. Online could have been something amazing if it have of continued in it's original spirit but it never quite got there and then went off on some mad tangent. 

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

UNPHASED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

If nothing special is the record holder than make me nothing special.

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Rafae, A week ago.

That's precisely the point. Online was given more priority due to its emerging existence mid way through the development of GTAV's story, resulting in a mediocre single player experience. Now Online lost its direction too so we're at a lose lose situation.

Welp.
  • Xiled and Hellbendzor like this

CaliMeatWagon
  • CaliMeatWagon

Proud Kekistani

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted A week ago

The interesting thing though is that there have already been times when an update was supposed to be the 'last' as i mentioned earlier. I guess Take-Two and R* just kept extending it behind the scenes. I'm pretty sure they'd make the same amount of profit as long as they kept updating so it has more to do with Rockstar's plans and when THEY want to stop rather than how much profit they make. I mean c'mon, it's GTA.

Links/sources to Rockstar/Take-Two ever stating "DLC X is the last DLC". 

I'll wait...

• Rafae likes this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Oft-requested

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

Eh, who knows? Better to just go by the vibes, take things as they come.

• Mrs. Buzz likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

UNPHASED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

That's precisely the point. Online was given more priority due to its emerging existence mid way through the development of GTAV's story, resulting in a mediocre single player experience. Now Online lost its direction too so we're at a lose lose situation.

Welp.

Except for the millions that still enjoy to play.

• junior731657 and AUScowboy like this

CaliMeatWagon
  • CaliMeatWagon

Proud Kekistani

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted A week ago

Yes, The Benz had to push the online. But like introducing someone to heroin, once the Housers got a taste of that online income. It was over. What the Houser's have done in the intervening years is a perversion of what The Benz had in mind. 

There is no dispute that GTA would've been in better hands with The Benz. For his faults, the content wouldn't have been reduced to cut-and-paste and embarrassing pandering superhero rip off content.  He'd have given us a more balance approach and likely gone down the Hiests type of content (which is what so many still want) and missions that connect GTA:O to storymode.

Cheers.

Nice guess work.

• Rafae, MisFit-138, Brutal Trout and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted A week ago

Welp.

You might as well not even bother contributing

Everything you say literally has no bearing to the discussion at hand
  • zoso80, The-Irish-Hunter, Mrs. Buzz and 1 other like this

zoso80
  • zoso80

Uninstalled GTA 10-6-17, an era comes to a close.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by zoso80, A week ago.

Taking in the beauty of this wonderful comment to it's full extent.

star-trek-gazes.gif

Welp.

• Rafae and The-Irish-Hunter like this

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Tyrant Donald Trump's First Extrajudicial Killing Target

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

GTAO will receive occasional updates until the next GTA is released.
  • Rafae and JuniorChubb like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

UNPHASED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Welp.

Well allow me to retort.  Updates will continue beyond RDR 2 coming out.  Thankfully.

high_five_archer.gif

• Rafae, MisFit-138, AUScowboy and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted A week ago

^ Yeah no doubt

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Xiled, A week ago.

Of course they will continue the updates into rdr2. There not done milking GTA online for shark card money yet.

• Rafae likes this

Perez84
  • Perez84

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Perez84, A week ago.

But the thing is, RDR2 can break that trend of "one update each 90 days aprox" we have now. Very likely, especially soon after the release.

Event weeks can continue til the end of times, that's just a tunable change.

• Rafae likes this

dead goon
  • dead goon

Reject the status quo.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

World of Warcraft (2004-)
  • Rafae and mrgstrings like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted A week ago

But the thing is, RDR2 can break that trend of "one update each 90 days aprox" we have now. Very likely, especially soon after the release.

Event weeks can continue til the end of times, that's just a tunable change.

True, but updates to Online are unlikely to completely stop.

Rockstar Vienna
  • Rockstar Vienna

Sir Love-A-Lot

• Members
  • Austria

Posted A week ago

They can support it as long as they want. I don't play it anymore. But I put hundreds of hours into the game, especially in 2014 and 2015. In 2016 GTA Online went to sh*t imo. Moved on to other games. To this day I don't understand why GTAOnline became more popular over time. Imo now it's just an endless grind. When you're done grinding you buy the overpriced cars, houses, planes etc. and then wait for the next update. Once the next update drops you'll probably sell some old stuff to make room for new vehicles. And then start grinding again of course. Makes no sense to me but to each their own!

But back to OP's question... I guess they will continue with the updates as long as they bring in the shark card millions. I'm sure it will slow down a bit once Red Dead's out but like they already said.... GTAO and RDO won't really compete with each other. Sure, many people will move on to Red Dead and stop playing GTAO (maybe really forever or at least for a while) but the GTAO fanbase is so huge that half of the players could suddenly stop playing it and Take Two would still make tons of money with little development effort. Can't say I understand why this 4 year-old game is still printing money but Rockstar would be stupid If they'd suddenly stop releasing updates.

• Rafae likes this

ALifeOfMisery
  • ALifeOfMisery

I see dead people...real ones....often.

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

RDR2 won't be the end of updates to GTAO. Online makes far too much money and RDR2O just won't give R* the options GTAO does to sell microtransactions on anything like the same scale.

Even when GTAO updates end the servers won't be shut down, we can still play IV multiplayer.

IMO the only reason GTAO has the active player base it does is because there is no true alternative. If you have a PS4 or Xbox1 and want the type of experience GTAO offers, you have to play it.

There are better racing games, better PvP games, games with better car or character customization etc. but nothing that offers the option to switch from one thing to the other within the same game.

Again, only my opinion, but I consider GTAOs biggest downfall to be the lack of a true competitor, currently R* have no incentive at all to do anything differently or "better".
  • R3CON and -LN- like this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

You can't compare Warcraft to GTAO, Warcraft runs on servers GTAO doesn't and can therefore run without barely any costs forever. GTAO will be online a LOT longer than Warcraft.

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by DisCrafted, A week ago.

The interesting thing though is that there have already been times when an update was supposed to be the 'last' as i mentioned earlier. I guess Take-Two and R* just kept extending it behind the scenes. I'm pretty sure they'd make the same amount of profit as long as they kept updating so it has more to do with Rockstar's plans and when THEY want to stop rather than how much profit they make. I mean c'mon, it's GTA.

Links/sources to Rockstar/Take-Two ever stating "DLC X is the last DLC". 

I'll wait...

Did i ever say that Rockstar or Take-Two stated anything? No. A certain guy you may know called Yan did. And he didn't say it would be the last DLC. He just said that it was the original plan.

jwdrinkwaterjr
  • jwdrinkwaterjr

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I think updates will continue for a while. However if RDR2 turns out to be wildly popular I see GTAO taking the backseat. Not a total stoppage of support, but a definite reduction.

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

You can't compare Warcraft to GTAO, Warcraft runs on servers GTAO doesn't and can therefore run without barely any costs forever. GTAO will be online a LOT longer than Warcraft.

Yeah you actually can, character save data, matchmaking and any game mode or activity that requires launching from a lobby is stored off the players system by Rcokstar (the latter I am guessing is to stop people messing with mission rewards and set ups to make money quickly and easily), every time you launch a job from your phone the game has to download the activity from Rcokstar prior to it running that's why you can still mess around in freeroam but can't launch jobs when you have the trouble connecting to Rcokstar message.

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by -RP-, A week ago.

Oh we're talking about some pieces of sh*t I see...The Housers. Well then...

The Housers can't make a good GTA game without Benz.  Case in point the first 2 GTA games were flops. Wasn't until 3 when the Benz took control they finally had success. And they've been riding those coat tails forever now.  Welp 5 will be regarded as the pinnacle and downfall of the franchise I think.   6 will be a cluster f*ck of horrible ideas, only the Benz won't be there to stop them from self destruction. 

6 will mark the end of R* probably, then again there are stupid blind fan bois who will throw there money at anything and there numbers are in lemming masses. Ready to jump over a cliff at the drop of a hat should R* say to do so.

it was " the benz" who forced this whole online idea down their necks. the housers wanted to focus on the SP story but benz had other plans.

resulting is a sour partnership during development and a mediocre story.

have the housers gone bad? yes. but "the benz" isn't that holy either. far from it.

That's how you know the Benz was ahead of the curve versus the stuck in the past Housers. The Benz knew we are in the Online Gaming Age and SP is becoming an after thought for a lot of titles. Of course it would have a SP to follow in tradition of GTA, however I think the Benz wanted 5 to get its notoriety from the Online experience versus the SP experience.  When he tried to explain the benefits of a online world vs focusing on the SP, the Housers couldn't grasp the idea and they had a falling out. Like I've said before, whenever you have a wtf moment in GTAO its probably because the Housers didn't know what they were doing and the Benz wasn't there to correct it.

So the Housers run online and its a f*ckn mess obvi. I think if the Benz was still employed we would of had a lot of patches that fix so much of the sh*t we get mad about tbh. The sh*t the Housers don't want to or don't know how to fix.

TEENWULF
  • TEENWULF

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

It's been said a thousand times before but, GTA Online is not GTA5 Online. GTA Online will continue into IV. Do you really think that R* will just scrap everything they've built and given us and just start all over again? Expecting us to grind for the same cars and clothes and weapons all over again?

No. They won't.

Guaranteed our characters, cars, etc will carry over. Obviously new apartments will need to be bought because it'll be a new city. But to start from scratch where vehicles and stuff are concerned makes no sense.
  • HARBUJAHN, MisFit-138 and ragedandcaged like this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Connected™

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted A week ago

End? Let me enlighten you guys with something. GTA:Online is not ending anytime soon. 4 Years strong and it's still counting. People may come and go, GTA Online will atleast stay popular till the next GTA installment. Rockstar will keep marketing it. They're making decent profits off it. Why would they butcher the very hen that's bearing the golden eggs for them?

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

If you combine the amount of players in mta and sa-mp there are more daily players than for GTA v on steam. Those 2 are mods for GTA San Andreas meanwhile GTA v is there main game. If you look at GTA v on twitch most of the top viewed streams are roleplay streams.

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

It's been said a thousand times before but, GTA Online is not GTA5 Online. GTA Online will continue into IV. Do you really think that R* will just scrap everything they've built and given us and just start all over again? Expecting us to grind for the same cars and clothes and weapons all over again?

No. They won't.

Guaranteed our characters, cars, etc will carry over. Obviously new apartments will need to be bought because it'll be a new city. But to start from scratch where vehicles and stuff are concerned makes no sense.

That's wishful thinking. I highly doubt we'll cross over into VI with our characters and stuff. Stop listening to Youtubers like MrFailFTW

• Perez84, -LN- and The-Irish-Hunter like this

Perez84
  • Perez84

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

No. They won't.

GTA VI could even have a different engine, so I'm very doubtful about GTAO being carried over.

And even if that happens, what they won't scrap is the option to squeeze every penny by having us starting from scratch again. Let alone the amount of clothes, guns, cars, they'd have to carry over to another GTA. 

• -LN- likes this

Mrnrfan182
  • Mrnrfan182

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

People like me will play RDR2 purely for the story. Once I get everything out of the experience that I want itll be shelved, and rather quickly at that.

I love cars, modern weapons and a map I can explore vertically as well. Basically, GTA. Im hoping VI brings with it an amazing story and that the online component just mans up and charges for DLC. Id rather pay $20 every few months for real content than this current bullsh*t model we have now.

Ultimately RDR is more of a niche title. Far more people would rather collect cars, bikes and planes. I wont say RDR:O wont be successful, but it wont kill GTA:O.
  • Rafae and Xiled like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users