Quantcast

» «
Photo

Nothing But the TRUTH! Online only?

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Nothing But the TRUTH! (32 member(s) have cast votes)

If GTAV had released *only* as GTA Online, with no Story Mode, would you have bought it when you did, and paid what you did?

1. Yes. (4 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. No, I would have waited and/or paid less than I did. (6 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. I would have boycotted. Don't look at me like that! I really would have! (22 votes [68.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves. The direction that the industry at large is going makes one wonder about certain things...

maundy
  • maundy

Player Hater

• Members
  • Taiwan

Posted A week ago

I have never played online and don't intend to. I like interactive movies over repetitive gameplay, eg, every fps multi-player ever.

• Jimmy's Dealer likes this

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I just completed the Story, and haven't been online yet, either. I prefer immersive single-player games.

At any rate, I was unable to play GTAV without using GTA V FoV to increase the field of view, and am scared that even if I remove the files, something will have been altered unbeknownst to me and end up getting me banned.

MrKillerMan
  • MrKillerMan

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I would have brought the game, but I would not have paid 160 for it. The special powers the off line characters have sold me as well. Having a garage at the beginning of the game really helped a lot.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Well considering I have spent almost ZERO time online with this game, I would not have paid a single penny for it if V was an Online only title.

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEASTMODE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

No gtao was the first online game I played and I only got into it for the trophies.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

I don't buy multiplayer-only games under any conditions. Not Overwatch, not ESO, not Destiny and certainly not GTAO. Why would I want to pay $60 for something I can't use unless I pay even more for PSN/Gold?

Also, the poll is not great since the only negative options imply you'd buy the game at some point or you'd boycott. A simple no would've sufficed. 

• ChiroVette likes this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I wouldn't have bought it, period.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by Dryspace, A week ago.

@D9fred95

Yes, I suppose your point about the poll is legitimate. I was thinking mainly of people who had played earlier GTA games and were looking forward to GTAV--ironically, I didn't fully account for people like myself for whom GTAV is the first game. I wonder if I should remake the poll, since it has only been up a few hours...

EDIT: How would I even go about deleting this poll and making a corrected one?

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I don't buy multiplayer-only games under any conditions. Not Overwatch, not ESO, not Destiny and certainly not GTAO. Why would I want to pay $60 for something I can't use unless I pay even more for PSN/Gold?

I am exactly the same. It would take some huge paradigm shift in Online-only games for me to buy one. I could see an Online-Only game if, somehow it was really some seamlessly in such a way that being online still allowed the player to do some single player campaign with or without including others.

Of course, your likely objection to my point on the basis that such a component wouldn't be truly online then is completely true. And I am, in reality, talking out of my @ss.

My actual point is that there may be some way that we have not conceived of yet, and has never been done before, that some Online game would be attractive to a player like me, but it would take some huge breakthrough that I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would be, to be honest.

Also, the poll is not great since the only negative options imply you'd buy the game at some point or you'd boycott. A simple no would've sufficed.

I was thinking the same thing, but the poll is probably fine. Yeah, my unwillingness to buy a hypothetical Online-only GTA would in no way be a protest or boycott, since my not buying it would be solely because of lack of interest. But I think that since it isn't just a poll, but we can discuss the answers here, we can get a good idea that most people in the forum wouldn't buy it due to a lack of interest and NOT a boycott of some kind. You're right, though, technically, but I don't think its a big deal the way it is.

R3CON
  • R3CON

Cesar Vialpando

• Van Society
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by R3CON, A week ago.

I view Online as an exception, if not an aberration, to the 20 years of strong single-player gaming Rockstar has given us. Title after title, single-player was expected with content that would keep players interested long after the game stopped being fresh. Even without updates and without microtransactions it was a given that the game you bought would be a complete and total package.

These days Rockstar needs a carrot in-front of us to get folks to play while still finding ways to nickel and dime players every chance they can. The rise of Online has won the company many fans, yes, but they've also flippantly rebuked the single-player/story-mode base that turned them into a household name. It's single-player and story-mode that Rockstar built their empire on, yet these are the aspects of the game they disregard the most. The writing is on the wall for future titles and I'm sure Rockstar is having the same debate internally as we are here.

As someone who grew up with GTA II, GTA III, GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas, I would feel totally betrayed by Rockstar/TakeTwo if they abandoned story-mode. Such a move would not just be evidence the company was selling out and no longer cared about their product, it would also remove any reason I had to purchase the game in the first place. GTA V was purchased on the strength of GTA IV and all the previous GTAs that came before it. Experiences that were defined by their single-player, story-mode gameplay. GTA V just so happens to have a mode where you can play online with other people. If Online wasn't there, the game would've still been purchased. I can't say the same if the scenario had been reversed.

There's other online shooting games. There's other online racing games. We can all agree GTA is a jack of all trades and a unique experience. But it's not really a master of any one feature. Being an open world and popular is nice to an extent, but it doesn't endear one to a particular brand or inspire such loyalty. Outside of casual hijinks here and there, what's to keep folks coming back to this game over any other?

Story-mode gives a greater sense of purpose and immerses players within the "world" of the game. Qualities you simply can't appreciate flying across the map hundreds-of-feet-above in insta-spawn rocket bikes or blindly speeding through the streets in the latest, wacky DLC car. Without any context to the environment and it's parameters, actions within that space can become random or meaningless.

GTA Online is still revered and still played at the moment. But all good things come to an end. When GTA stops being innovative and current or stops being the only game in town with an all-encompassing open world, what will they have to rely on then? Story-mode and the single-player aspects provide a foundation for GTA, if not Rockstar Games as a publisher (overall). There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  • ChiroVette, Cutter De Blanc and D9fred95 like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted A week ago

Absolutely would not have purchased it.  I was never interested in Grand Theft Auto Online, or the multiplayer components of almost any game.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

You didn't mention any example of an "open world" game that reflects the direction the industry at large is going?

The direction of going "online only" !?!

I can't think of any open world franchise that started off as ( or offered ) a single player game, and later switched to multiplayer completely.

The premise that GTA could be released *only* as GTA Online with no Story Mode itself is a pretty faulty assumption to begin with. Rockstar won't abandon single player mode. It'll actually allow rival companies to profit from such a move. 

If you are saying the direction industry at large is going shows that the days of good old classic 3D era single player enjoyment has started to suffer after GTA IV and GTA V's gradual shift towards multiplayer, and heavy emphasis on making Online more engaging with regular updates, and additional content, then I'd certainly say, YES!

It'll get worse or not in future, only time (GTA VI) will tell.

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

R3CON makes a number of valid points.

I'm actually disappointed with the options for single-player open-world games. I was looking forward to Just Cause 3 ever since I finished my first play-through of Just Cause 2 in 2010, but I haven't picked it up yet because I will not support online requirements for single-player games, and besides, everything I have read indicates that it is a disappointment. I will play it eventually, providing the online requirement is rescinded.

It has been 6 years since Skyrim, and Bethesda has made it clear that--if there even is another Elder Scrolls game--it will be 2022 at the earliest, as they have not even started on one.

I will pick up Fallout 4 (waiting for it to hit $10), but it is clear that it is not an RPG, and very far from the game I was expecting.

Have I missed any recent, good single-player open-world games with no online requirement? (No need to mention The Witcher 3. Long live CDPR.)

Dryspace
  • Dryspace

The Infinitely Prolonged

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

@Am Shaegar

My point was clear and valid. The industry has for the past decade shifted heavily from immersive single-player games to multiplayer games. Part of this was a side effect of the AAA industry going console-only* in ~2007. Another was all of the gamer-run studios selling out to large publishers.

The issue is past trends and future possibilities. "It hasn't happened yet, therefore it's not likely to happen" is not a legitimate assumption. Whatever actually does happen, the notion that even GTA could go online-only is by no means outlandish.

* A console game is a game that is conceived and designed for the console market, and coded for console HW, even if it is ported to the PC. MMOs aside, the last AAA game that was conceived and designed for PC, and coded for PC, was Crysis (2007), not counting the expansion Crysis: Warhead.

beretta-gt88
  • beretta-gt88

Muscle cars rule!

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R* wouldn't of got my money and in the future, I will never trust that company again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have completely sold out!!! and have forgotten who they used to be. all the words out of there mouths are LIES

signed.... a loyal customer no more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users