Quantcast

» «
Photo

There was an interview released back in 12/13 regarding the future of the GTA- Series.

11 replies to this topic
Hvitdverg
  • Hvitdverg

ExTRAZZ

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Ok, so I tried looking it up on google, but my detective skills were not good enough to dig up the interview I'm aiming at. 

If I remember correctly a executive producer/PR/ marketing person did and interview talking about their vision for the future of the Grand Theft Auto Series. 
He talked about Rockstar Games's vision for the future, and about their vision of make the Grand Theft Auto series grow into a "Multiplayer/Online" experience as early as 2001/2002. But that they were limited by the technological advancements of the time, and by the time GTA V finally released, the technology had finally made it to the point where working towards an ever expanding GTA- World would be possible. 
He talked about future plans for the franchise, and that Rockstar North possibly wanted to expand on GTA: Online by adding new maps and making it possible to travel from one map to another. 

Rockstar Games was "supposed" to release a SP DLC for GTA V, but I think they re-adjusted their plans/scope accordingly. 

I have a theory that they were indeed supposed to release a "re-made" version of Liberty City that were supposed to release as an add-on to GTA V / GTA Online. But given the fact that they made such incredible amounts of money of GTA Online's micro-transactions they made some changes to the plan. They continued to support GTA Online with "meaningless" content after the Heists was released, and hopefully they put a huge amount of the money made by micro-transactions go toward the development of what will be the biggest most expensive development in history. 

I predict the following: 

The next installation in the Grand Theft Auto - Series will be a GTA for the future. It will be developed with the future in mind, and we will see a similar structure to what Blizzard has done with World Of Warcraft in the past. 

Let's say GTA VI releases in 2020, at the point of release GTA VI/GTA Online or whatever the decide on calling it, will include Los Santos(Cali), Liberty City (NY-area), Florida(Miami-area). Players will be able to FAST-TRAVEL between maps in the same way people fast travel in MMO's. I Believe there will be a single player campaign of some sort, but the focus will surely be on the Online aspect of things. Rockstar will satisfy the "single player" audience upon the release of GTA Next, but gradually turn it into a MMO where it's going to be about running the world with your friends. "PvP- Raids" where clans battle for territories and "Clan-Wars"  is also something I think would be a good development-strategyfor Rockstar in order to satisfy the casual market. 

The Grand Theft Auto - Series does no longer belong to the hardcore- nerds (like most of us on this fourm), it belongs to the mainstream market. I believe Rockstar is trying their very best at developing a sustainable WORLD where they can continue making billion of dollars in the decades to come. 

From a business perspective I think this makes a lot of sense, and I don't think these changes are going to alienate the "hardcore" community, if this is the future I think Rockstar has the ability to satisfy the most of us, while making more money than any other game developer in the industry.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

Yea, GTA is now all casual and dumbed down. The only thing that'll change it is either A) a full 180 from within the company that ain't gonna happen or B) a new series being made by another studio to emulate the original feeling of the classic GTA games that could rival GTA.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Hvitdverg
  • Hvitdverg

ExTRAZZ

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Yea, GTA is now all casual and dumbed down. The only thing that'll change it is either A) a full 180 from within the company that ain't gonna happen or B) a new series being made by another studio to emulate the original feeling of the classic GTA games that could rival GTA.

Yeah, I don't think will see a 180 in that regard. The only aspect of GTA I'm sure Rockstar will deliver on at this point, is the map design and exploration and attention to detail. I'm scared of how much this effect all the youtubers over the last 5 years have had on the development on the next GTA. Seeing how much marketing potensial they have to younger consumers and how much GTA Online have changed in regards to how YouTubers have played GTA V. 
So many screaming Youtubers with 10's of millions of subscribers 

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:31 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 30 September 2017 - 05:32 PM.

Well, Mafia III looked like it was a leaked Alpha version full of glitches, the Driver series... what the hell happened with San Francisco? True Crime is dead and got reencarnated as Sleeping Dogs, which is dead, so the only hope we have now is either if Ubisoft makes an extremelly good Watch_Dogs game, which, let's face it, it's not going to happen too soon, or another company steps in and makes a very good GTA-like game. If that doesn't happen, Rockstar/T2 will either just keep dragging Online even more onto the ground for some Shark Cards, or make even more GTA:Online-ish games, and judging by Red Dead:Online, it will be the second, if not both.

As for future plans, the worst thing they could do is make an online-only game. This would kill modding, which T2 tried to do earlier this year with... negative consequences, and it would make people that are sick of online go to another game instead of Singleplayer.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

There's always fans who could make their own game like how Team Fortress Classic or whatever it was called got started, but the odds of that happening are slim.

• raebbitos likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

True Crime is dead and got reencarnated as Sleeping Dogs, which is dead...

Sorry, just to point out. Sleeping Dogs was originally it's own game called Black Lotus. Because of it's open-world nature and similarities to True Crime, Activision then proposed it be released under the True Crime series as it was an all ready established series. I just wanted to make that distinction. 

On topic: I think RDR2 will be like some litmus test for future GTA storytelling. We all loved RDR for it's rich storytelling and V was slated as arguably the worst GTA story so far. The cracks in Rockstar started to show with all the departures, shift in gaming focus to Online, Shark Cards and no singleplayer DLC. If RDR2's story is successful and people actually complete it then I think there's hope for GTA with singleplayer. 

With the success of Online, I think that even if us lovers of the singleplayer stopped and never bought another GTA, that it wont affect GTA's sales. I think we're a dying breed. Rockstar knows this so they did the right business thing and went were the money is at. 

It's a shame because a lot of us don't like multiplayer the same way others do. For example, I just can't seem to manage having regular online matches with online buddies. So multiplayer for me is a lone-wolf experience, getting my ass handed to me or with unpredictable strangers that can be a nuisance. We're lucky that we even have single player games any more. 

My hopes aren't in GTA for the future for that sweet story in an open world. I'm looking for a new contender, like Mafia series, (pity Sleeping Dogs is canned) and Driver too. Someone has got to come a long and pick up the pieces Rockstar left off. 

• Huffin-Puffin, LincolnClay and Great Britain like this

Great Britain
  • Great Britain

★ ✯ ♔ ✯ ★

• Facade
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Let's also not forget what, "Everywhere" may end up offering us. I hope it's the Benz that gives that long over due boot to R*, right in their face.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:35 AM

Let's also not forget what, "Everywhere" may end up offering us. I hope it's the Benz that gives that long over due boot to R*, right in their face.

Everywhere will be GTA Online 2.0.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:21 AM

Everywhere will be GTA Online 2.0.

They say it will have a "seamless Co-op", not a massive online. I'm expecting something somehow comparable to the Hacker Invasions in Watch_Dogs.

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by D T, 3 weeks ago.

This is the article you are referring to (originally from CVG): http://officialgta.t...resident-leslie

What scope have you got for expanding beyond the locations we’re seeing already?

Well, one thing we’ve toyed with - and we’ve talked about this before, so it isn’t a spoiler - is (the ambition) to grow this world until it's the world. We’re just going to add on new things to it, new places all the time. We’ve set this up so there are no limitations. The only limitation is the size of the disc and how much memory we’ve got. We could, if we wanted, simulate the entire world, different countries, whatever. Whether we do that or not… But we’ve got a bunch of old stuff that we’re toying with using.

This is now Everywhere.

Huffin-Puffin
  • Huffin-Puffin

CRABHANDLER

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

"Rockstar have disappointed us again by not expanding the map. the only logical conclusion is that the next game will have A MUCH BIGGER MAP".

Please, the next GTA will be one city with some countryside around it. Probably Miami. The map for V will not be included because it won't be compatible with their new engine, and then five or six years will pass and they'll sell us Liberty again, but not include the Miami map because it's not compatible with their new engine. We're never moving back towards the ambition of San Andreas, let alone going beyond it. We're getting one city at a time, crammed full of online sh*t to sell for real cash.

There's always fans who could make their own game like how Team Fortress Classic or whatever it was called got started, but the odds of that happening are slim.

Nice as this idea is, it's impossible. TFC was a Half Life mod, it took the engine and gameplay but added new rules. The problem with trying to create something like GTA is that there's a reason that even other companies outside R* struggle to create decent open world games, they cost too much money. To create something yourself that rivalled or even came vaguely close to GTAV you'd need the money for a motion capture studio, professional actors, professional writers, professional musicians. That's before getting into the thousands of man hours creating the assets for the map would cost. You're looking at literally millions of dollars, and the work of hundreds of people applying themselves full time to the project for around five years. It's just not doable as a fan project, we're too far out from the days of modding being able to accomplish that, and we're too used to the maps, assets and polish that studios with 500 people and millions in budgets bring. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Facade
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice as this idea is, it's impossible. TFC was a Half Life mod, it took the engine and gameplay but added new rules. The problem with trying to create something like GTA is that there's a reason that even other companies outside R* struggle to create decent open world games, they cost too much money. To create something yourself that rivalled or even came vaguely close to GTAV you'd need the money for a motion capture studio, professional actors, professional writers, professional musicians. That's before getting into the thousands of man hours creating the assets for the map would cost. You're looking at literally millions of dollars, and the work of hundreds of people applying themselves full time to the project for around five years. It's just not doable as a fan project, we're too far out from the days of modding being able to accomplish that, and we're too used to the maps, assets and polish that studios with 500 people and millions in budgets bring.

I dunno man, depending on the size of the map, it could easily be doable by someone with enough dedication, or rather, enough could be made to be sent to a publisher for them to see whether or not it would be a good idea to invest the aforementioned millions of dollars into it. Keep in mind I'm not talking about a group of fans directly trying to make a similar game to GTA 5, but rather something made to "emulate the original feeling of the classic GTA games". If 8 bit-esque retro art styles are the fad now, who's to say GTA 3-esque blocky and simple geography won't be the next big thing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users