Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did the omission of planes bother you?

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Did the omission of planes bother you? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Did the omission of planes bother you?

1. Yes (5 votes [8.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

2. No (54 votes [91.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

This was probably one of the hottest debates before the game's release. Pretty simple question really. Did R*'s decision to not include planes in GTA IV bother you? (Please keep in mind the intent of the discussion isn't the exact reason why they weren't included as we've heard all the reasons before from 9/11, the map size etc. It's just whether them not being in the game bothers you or not)

For me, no. Whilst I could understand their purpose in San Andreas I think for the most part they would've been useless in GTA IV due to the high density metropolis setting. Even if planes were included most likely they would've been restricted to small planes like the Dodo or seaplanes anyway without the passenger planes/jets from San Andreas.

Just wanted to get your thoughts whether you necessarily care they're not included. Cheers. :)
  • Mr_Rager and Neon_Dreaming like this

Utopianthumbs
  • Utopianthumbs

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nah I was too immersed in ragdolling people and having shootouts down in the gritty streets of LC to care about flying some dumb plane.

Really tho it didn't bother me that much, seeing as I barely returned to using planes in V after the first few times, and like you said IV's metropolis setting and grounded feel probably wasn't as inviting for zooming in the sky as San andreas wonky atmosphere. I certainly wouldn't mind flying planes in IV but it's absence didn't bother me much.

In saying that though, Liberty city did look beautiful as seen from the skies in Yusufs chopper.
  • Algonquin Assassin, anthony, hei3enberg and 3 others like this

SchizNitz
  • SchizNitz

yo

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm not bothered by it. I mean, it would've been a nice gameplay element to have fun and play around with, but considering the condensed size of the map, planes wouldn't have been overly useful, and thus weren't a very necessary feature.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago

Absolutely NOT. I do not care about planes. I think that helicopters are enough.

They are also pointless in IV.

• Algonquin Assassin and Mr_Rager like this

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

It doesn't bother me, but it would've been fun as hell to fly planes, no matter how small the map is.
  • Algonquin Assassin and SchizNitz like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

Kind of. Not planes alone per se, but their omission along with all the other extras that were present in San Andreas but not in IV did give GTA IV a more barren feel. 

• Algonquin Assassin, SchizNitz and ClaudeIzABadAzz like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 3 weeks ago.

I guess people who loved Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (and everything that was served with it) must have been really disappointed with IV. Thank God I wasn't into San Andreas at all.

:)

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Not at all, with only one airport, they'd be pretty useless in the gameplay. I think helicopters were enough.

• Rented and Misunderstood like this

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Cosmic Warrior

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Mr_Rager, 3 weeks ago.

No. The detail of the city is in the city, on foot. That's exactly how it should be. And for me personally, I don't give a sh*t about fighter jets or whatever other goofy sh*t people seem to love. The Buzzard was good enough for me, and honestly way more fun to fly than a plane or jet. It's more responsive in my opinion, and you can go more places and actually land.
  • anthony likes this

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Luis and Niko will not be touched by Trevor.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

Angry mothers screaming about it being a 911 simulator would get bloody annoying. GTA IV already gets too much hate.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [Chain Game]
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 3 weeks ago

No. I didn't miss having planes in GTA IV because I don't think that Liberty City would have benefited from having them. They'd have been fun to fly, and I wouldn't have complained had they been in the game, but otherwise there isn't really anywhere to go in one and only Francis International Airport has a dedicated runway where you could land easily.

Helicopters work well enough for a game like IV and are fun to fly and see some great views of Liberty City with :)
  • hei3enberg likes this

GTA_The_Series
  • GTA_The_Series

Neighborhood Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by GTA_The_Series, 3 weeks ago.

I guess people who loved Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (and everything that was served with it) must have been really disappointed with IV. Thank God I wasn't into San Andreas at all.

:)

San andreas is my most favorite gta. But when IV released i wasn't disappointed at all in any way....Blew me away when i first played it. Miles ahead from V. The absents of planes never botherd me either :^:
  • .Bach, anthony, Gokuzbu and 2 others like this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Lol. They knew that planes can't fly so good in such a city full of Skyscrapers.
  • theGTAking101 likes this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

The omission didn't bother me. In SA and V, planes make a hell of a lot more sense. They have multiple airports and plenty of open spots to land the plane. IV had one airport and maybe a few open areas in Alderney. So even if there were planes, where the f*ck was I going to take them and land them? Nowhere, which means they would have been pointless for IV.

• anthony likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

No we already have helicopters and the map is too small.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 2 weeks ago

No because what the f*ck am I gonna do with a plane in the map? Take off at the airport and land it back again at the same airport? It has no purpose.

• hei3enberg, Zello, Femme Fatale and 1 other like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 2 weeks ago

Nah. Chopping pedestrians with helicopter blades is fun enough.

• Jeansowaty likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 2 weeks ago

I couldn't care less about the planes, as GTA wasn't about them in the first place. The helicopters are enough for me and the only plane I would want in the future games is the Skimmer, which fits smaller maps.

• Mr_Rager and DOUGL4S1 like this

Melted_INC
  • Melted_INC

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

man i remember the outrage that planes weren't in this game lol

i didn't miss it though it didn't hurt my experience at all the Helicopter was more then enough 

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 2 weeks ago

I couldn't care less about the planes, as GTA wasn't about them in the first place. The helicopters are enough for me and the only plane I would want in the future games is the Skimmer, which fits smaller maps.

I agree, it would be more useful than it is in Vice City, as Niko can swim so is no deal if it drifts towards the ocean or something. However, I wouldn't see it as necessary, more like a cool feature to have.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

Never really bothered me, the map was too dense for planes to be of any real use, the helicopters available to us worked well instead. They allowed use to have a more scenic view of the city than planes would have with being able to hover and landing on skyscrapers to admire the view.

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

I voted No as there's not really any need for them. You have the helicopters that are more than enough to allow you to explore the map aerially and there's not really anywhere for you to go on the map in a plane that would make any sense to include them. 

• theGTAking101 likes this

.Bach
  • .Bach

λ

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I personally think that the details of Liberty City in GTA IV can only be appreciated on foot or traveling by car. So no, the omission of planes didn't bother me at all.

anthony
  • anthony

Everyone in Liberty sells their soul to the devil.

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by anthony, A week ago.

Not at all. Too busy exploring the deepest and darkest places of Liberty City along with it's details; so who cares about planes for a city like that ? I don't.
  • Good Hombre likes this

albanyave
  • albanyave

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Didn't bother me at all. Landing on rooftops in the helicopters was way better. Had an opportunity to see Liberty from a whole different perspective.

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Nope.

KGBeast
  • KGBeast

A little Hoagy Carmichael

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 days ago

I always thought the only kind of plane that would make sense in IV would have been a small seaplane like VC so you aren't confined to landing just at the airport. It would have been nice but no I didn't miss planes at all. I also didn't miss the jetpack and hope it never returns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users