» «
Photo

Is my cpu bottlenecking me?

3 replies to this topic
JakeRS
  • JakeRS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by JakeRS, 3 weeks ago.

I have a probably really weak Celeron G1610 (2 cores, 2 threads, 2.6ghz, 22nm and about 2500 passmark points) , 8gb RAM and I have a also kind of weak Radeon 7730 vtx3d 2gb ddr3.

I usually get about 27-35 fps in the city and around 40-50 in the desert when using normal textures, high shaders, no antialiasing, 4x anisotropic, high quality water and most other stuff is around low/normal. The resolution is 1280x1024 or something like that.

All in all it's obviously not a i7 + Titan x experience, but it's playable, I rarely actually encounter any fps drops bellow 24, I previously had 4gb RAM and had stutters all the time, but not anymore.

So, yesterday I tried pumping up the texture settings to high and...fps is almost the same, however I did experience something else, the controls were unresponsive. I want the car to go just a little to the left and he makes a whole U-turn, I want to go a little in reverse and he just keeps going backwards.

I know that textures are gpu's area of work, but I suppose that the CPU also has more data to work through with high texture settings, hence the unresponsive controls issue, so will upgrading to a I5 (from a weak Celeron) fix the problem and maybe give me a few extra fps, regardless of the weak gpu?

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 3 weeks ago

tbh V is pretty well optimized but even then that CPU is weak

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 3 weeks ago.

I have a probably really weak Celeron G1610 (2 cores, 2 threads, 2.6ghz, 22nm and about 2500 passmark points) , 8gb RAM and I have a also kind of weak Radeon 7730 vtx3d 2gb ddr3.

I usually get about 27-35 fps in the city and around 40-50 in the desert when using normal textures, high shaders, no antialiasing, 4x anisotropic, high quality water and most other stuff is around low/normal. The resolution is 1280x1024 or something like that.

All in all it's obviously not a i7 + Titan x experience, but it's playable, I rarely actually encounter any fps drops bellow 24, I previously had 4gb RAM and had stutters all the time, but not anymore.

So, yesterday I tried pumping up the texture settings to high and...fps is almost the same, however I did experience something else, the controls were unresponsive. I want the car to go just a little to the left and he makes a whole U-turn, I want to go a little in reverse and he just keeps going backwards.

I know that textures are gpu's area of work, but I suppose that the CPU also has more data to work through with high texture settings, hence the unresponsive controls issue, so will upgrading to a I5 (from a weak Celeron) fix the problem and maybe give me a few extra fps, regardless of the weak gpu?

i can only say from my personal experience going from a pentium G3258, same 2 cores/2 threads but @4.2mHz to the i5-6600k at same speed and it was the best upgrade in terms of Fps i have made

JakeRS
  • JakeRS

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 6 days ago

An oldish thread by now, but I upgraded my cpu, so I'd like to share my results in case it helps anyone.

I tested the game with both really low (800xsomething resolution) and with semi-medium settings (1280x1024, normal textures, high shaders, no fxaa, msaa, high water, soft shadows, 4 or 8x filtering)

Low: about 35-40 fps

medium: same, perhaps slightly less, 30-40 fps

Then I found a used, but still powerful i5 3450 and the results are...

low: 70-90, maybe even more

medium: Highly dissapointing, but same as the g1610, 35-40, but never above 40 in the city. However stuttering was eliminated, so those 35 fps felt a lot more natural and smooth than the same fps from the celeron.

-

So, the conclusion is that if you have a relatively weak graphics card like me (Radeon 7730 2gb), a stronger cpu will double the fps at low settings, but medium and high settings will still be extremely limited by a weak gpu, no matter how strong the cpu is. The only difference is that there are a lot less microstutters even at medium settings.

Another issue that was fixed was the user music freezing the game, with the weak cpu I had the problem that when I activated my user radio in GTA V, the game froze for a few seconds each time a new song was being loaded, but now that doesn't happen anymore at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users