Craig
  • Craig

Umbilical World

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 3 weeks ago

971c71517c12a9fb0d13f6b57ef0f734.png

WHAT'S GEOCACHING AND WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. The containers could be anything from plastic boxes to specially designed objects designed to blend in, providing more of a challenge. You should care because it's good exercise and gives you excuse to peel off the sofa once in a while. Once you've found one, it's hard to ignore.

Caches usually contain a log, where you can write your username and the date found as proof of your discovery. Players usually follow etiquette, which means replacing the cache as found and reporting any problems to the cache owner. Almost anybody can hide their own cache providing a few rules are met, but these aren't taxing and help the sport grow. There are a number of apps (including the official website) which make your hunt easier and more rewarding.

There was a topic dedicated to geocaching that was made about five years ago, but it didn't receive too many replies. Hopefully it's still in vogue enough to garner players. Chances are, if you're reading this, there's one not too far from you. There are literally millions of them worldwide and you'd be amazed to learn what was lurking on your route home all this time.

Geocaching Site

Geocaching FAQ

Geocaching Map

• Voodoo, FrikkenZz, GTAKid667 and 1 other like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

That sounds cool in concept, I don't know about other parts of the world, but it wouldn't work here. Forests in Brazil are kinda like anywhere in Australia, where everything wants to kill you: mosquitos, bees, beetles, spiders, snakes, eagles, monkeys, cougars.... And you're most likely to find drugs or weapons hidden in the forests.

If I lived somewhere nicer, I'd defenetly try this out.

Craig
  • Craig

Umbilical World

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 3 weeks ago

Drugs and a geocache? You lucky devil.

I understand some locations are better suited than others, but have a look at the map. You might be surprised.

• DOUGL4S1 likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by DOUGL4S1, 3 weeks ago.

Drugs and a geocache? You lucky devil.

I understand some locations are better suited than others, but have a look at the map. You might be surprised.

Touch them to see if you'll be lucky to survive for another day...

And yeah, it seems to have a community everywhere. I may give this a try in my future midlife crysis or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users