Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sharing my study on video games

Best Answer RedDagger, 30 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Shoulda replied to this earlier, but generally there's no need to get permission before posting a survey for things like this - plenty of people have done it before, just make sure it's in the right section and you're good :p Go to the full post

6 replies to this topic
Gav391
  • Gav391

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:52 AM

Hi there,

My name is Gavin Entwistle and I'm a gamer and a gaming researcher. I wanted to ask whether it would be possible to post to the forums a link to an online survey being conducted as part of an academic research study. It's a quick and fun 10-15min survey that gives participants feedback on their "video game personality type". Our numbers so far suggest that people are really interested in the survey. If I was able to create a thread, this would also give people the opportunity to provide their own opinion on gaming, the public stigma against gaming, and the normalisation of video games over time.

Just a bit of background, I am a student from the University of Sydney and as part of my masters thesis, I am running a study examining the relationship between video gaming, certain personality constructs, and life impacts. To give you my gaming credentials, I'm a Worgen Warlock heroic raider in the Tomb of Sargaras with Epic Pants on the server Khaz'goroth and my Overwatch main is Tracer. I have completed GTA Vice City, San Andreas, GTA 4 and GTA 5.

This is a link to the survey which we'd like to share:

Thanks ever so much for your time and please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Gavin Entwistle
University of Sydney
  • livejoker, Pavle, Vik and 1 other like this

Leone Family
  • Leone Family

Grand Theft Auto Québec TC developer

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Done. Altough there was a question (probably to know if the person taking the survey likes to do sports, or likes adrenaline) that said "Would you like to go down a mountain on ski", which I replied no. But replace the skis with a motorbike and I would have said f* yes. I think that question should have been less specific because sports/adrenaline people aren't all skiers.

livejoker
  • livejoker

a sense of pride and accomplishment

• Van Society
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

I wouldn't post this in the Forum Support section. If I were you I'd PM (Private Message) a moderator and ask them what is the best place to put this thread. I personally advise the GTA:O section as most questions relate to GTA V/GTA:O (such as social gaming in GTA). I filled it out. Call me narcissistic but it was fun to fill out! There is a section that seems a bit..biased, for lack of better word. It seems to be "shaming" gamers for wanting to play games. One of the question is "During the last year have you had arguments with others about the consequences of your gaming behavior?" Like...that's assuming we're gaming too much and it's worded in a way that makes it seem we're constantly scratching our arms needing a fix. I know this survey is partially aimed at videogames vs. real life but it does lean towards a certain side of the debate.

Apart from that whole section the rest was great. Just wished that the study didn't reflect gaming negatively. A lot of questions aimed towards asking the user on how much time they spend on videogames. Not really a personality quiz if the test pre-judges us simply from the time spent on videogames. You can be someone tight on time and take all your rage onto online gamers you play with or have no job and having the whole time in the world to game but be the nicest fellow ever. Gaming time isn't relative to the personality type. If it is I'd like for the study to point that out. The test also has 3 instances of answering a question specifically so that the user stays focus. It was rather annoying more than anything as it felt I was being held by the hand throughout the experience. A better incentive to keep people focused on the task is to cut up sections with puzzles to solve. Being told what to do is a checkbox that no one likes.

In other news, I got these which actually fit me quite well so I'm pretty happy about that!

YN4XFnK.png

aThJsf7.png

zoso80
  • zoso80

Uninstalled GTA 10-6-17, an era comes to a close.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:33 AM

Nice study. As someone with a masters who did a research project as well, I appreciate this.

I finished your questionairre as well.

Best of luck as you compile your data!

t8xlig.jpg

2rmvdqu.jpg

Gav391
  • Gav391

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:22 AM

I wouldn't post this in the Forum Support section. If I were you I'd PM (Private Message) a moderator and ask them what is the best place to put this thread. I personally advise the GTA:O section as most questions relate to GTA V/GTA:O (such as social gaming in GTA). I filled it out. Call me narcissistic but it was fun to fill out! There is a section that seems a bit..biased, for lack of better word. It seems to be "shaming" gamers for wanting to play games. One of the question is "During the last year have you had arguments with others about the consequences of your gaming behavior?" Like...that's assuming we're gaming too much and it's worded in a way that makes it seem we're constantly scratching our arms needing a fix. I know this survey is partially aimed at videogames vs. real life but it does lean towards a certain side of the debate.

Apart from that whole section the rest was great. Just wished that the study didn't reflect gaming negatively. A lot of questions aimed towards asking the user on how much time they spend on videogames. Not really a personality quiz if the test pre-judges us simply from the time spent on videogames. You can be someone tight on time and take all your rage onto online gamers you play with or have no job and having the whole time in the world to game but be the nicest fellow ever. Gaming time isn't relative to the personality type. If it is I'd like for the study to point that out. The test also has 3 instances of answering a question specifically so that the user stays focus. It was rather annoying more than anything as it felt I was being held by the hand throughout the experience. A better incentive to keep people focused on the task is to cut up sections with puzzles to solve. Being told what to do is a checkbox that no one likes.

In other news, I got these which actually fit me quite well so I'm pretty happy about that!

YN4XFnK.png

aThJsf7.png

I hear what you say livejoker. Unfortunately this is the way the game works. The game of psychology research. It is a pre-validated scale to assess for difficulties with video games. Now just because the scale is validated doesn't mean that video game addiction or disorder or whatever you want to call it, is a thing. It's not a recognised disorder. But we have to ask about it.

Does anyone know how I can contact a mod? I can't find any links to mods anywhere.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:09 AM   Best Answer

Shoulda replied to this earlier, but generally there's no need to get permission before posting a survey for things like this - plenty of people have done it before, just make sure it's in the right section and you're good :p

fashion
  • fashion

is math related to science?

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

t8xlig.jpg

2rmvdqu.jpg

This. That's actually quite accurate. Usually, surveys give you results that seem miles away from how you truly are but this one does the job well.

Great survey, good luck with your studies. One thing though, I didn't like that part where you had to answer questions regarding last year. It's not like I was counting those situations and didn't know what to answer in some of them. But yeah, that aside it was fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users