Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would you prefer if San Andreas wasn't an island?

54 replies to this topic
..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Before V was released, I was somehow convinced that one or two sides of the map were endless deserts being mostly flat with random generated vegetation and some rocks here and there.. would've been nice. We don't have any proper desert or forest in V.

• DBrasco, El-Gaddafii and Opzeker like this

REXX
  • REXX

REXX | ALEXA - Content Creator & GTA Photographer

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't mind SA being an island, but ideally it would have been nice to have a few smaller islands out in the ocean.

And an extremely long bridge junction coming off of the freeway up north that takes you to North Yankton.

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

Before V was released, I was somehow convinced that one or two sides of the map were endless deserts being mostly flat with random generated vegetation and some rocks here and there.. would've been nice. We don't have any proper desert or forest in V.

i wonder how hard that would be.

i mean it would need to be random once then saved the same in everyone's game for online play, it probably is harder than ocean. tbh they might as well just hand create like 10 miles of desert in each direction, it can't be too hard compared to the detail of s city. after like 9 miles you start to lose health with each step, and can't regen it in any way. also your vehicle dies. at 10 miles you just die to a massive explosion in case you make it that far somehow.

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

Snoopbr
  • Snoopbr

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I imagine tons of videos on Youtube showing how to cross the "wall" through glitches and people hiding on the other side during online DMs.

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

It really doesn't make much different what it is. The map would be the same size.

Map design does make a difference. A clever use of space can make a map seem much larger than it is. San Andreas is a good example of this. That map is f*cking tiny, but because of the way everything is laid out it feels huge.

Though it has been a few years since I've played GTA: San Andreas, it remains my favourite in the series - when I played GTA V for the first time, I initially thought: "wow, this feels so much smaller compared to the old version of San Andreas". What you said makes sense, it isn't the overall size but rather the layout with the three main cities (all with a very distinct character) and the rural or deserted areas surrounding them. I rarely went back to Los Santos unless it were required; I spent most of my time in San Fierro, Las Venturas, and the areas between the two. That entire area alone seemed massive compared to say driving now from the Grand Senora Desert to the far north of Paleto Bay.

I'm not opposed to San Andreas being an island - I much prefer that to invisible wall boundaries. However, instead of a map extension for this particular segment, it is my hope that we will have a fresh start with perhaps a new island or chain of islands; something that includes both San Fierro and Las Venturas! I wouldn't be upset if the addition of this new location meant leaving Los Santos behind forever - I'd much rather be in San Fierro or Las Venturas and I feel as though both cities (complete with rural areas, a desert, and the like) would provide a suitable setting for the next GTA game.

• HARBUJAHN, IamCourtney, El-Gaddafii and 6 others like this

Lupo-Akane
  • Lupo-Akane

Mi-24 Pilot

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

It really doesn't make much different what it is. The map would be the same size.

Map design does make a difference. A clever use of space can make a map seem much larger than it is. San Andreas is a good example of this. That map is f*cking tiny, but because of the way everything is laid out it feels huge.

Though it has been a few years since I've played GTA: San Andreas, it remains my favourite in the series - when I played GTA V for the first time, I initially thought: "wow, this feels so much smaller compared to the old version of San Andreas". What you said makes sense, it isn't the overall size but rather the layout with the three main cities (all with a very distinct character) and the rural or deserted areas surrounding them. I rarely went back to Los Santos unless it were required; I spent most of my time in San Fierro, Las Venturas, and the areas between the two. That entire area alone seemed massive compared to say driving now from the Grand Senora Desert to the far north of Paleto Bay.

I'm not opposed to San Andreas being an island - I much prefer that to invisible wall boundaries. However, instead of a map extension for this particular segment, it is my hope that we will have a fresh start with perhaps a new island or chain of islands; something that includes both San Fierro and Las Venturas! I wouldn't be upset if the addition of this new location meant leaving Los Santos behind forever - I'd much rather be in San Fierro or Las Venturas and I feel as though both cities (complete with rural areas, a desert, and the like) would provide a suitable setting for the next GTA game.
I think they missed an opportunity by not having San Fierro. Especially for online, having you pick where you toon started would have been sweet...
  • Killerman29, REXX, El-Gaddafii and 4 others like this

REXX
  • REXX

REXX | ALEXA - Content Creator & GTA Photographer

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think they missed an opportunity by not having San Fierro. Especially for online, having you pick where you toon started would have been sweet...
Wish I could have started in Area 69 :(
  • -LN-, The-Irish-Hunter and Lupo-Akane like this

livejoker
  • livejoker

Questionable Aunt

• Van Society
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 3 weeks ago

It could be connected to a landmass by a deathvalley-like dessert where your car dies when you reach a certain point just like planes etc. do over the ocean. Once the car's dead your health goes down slowly because of the heat.

Or do it like Fallout 4's southern part where sh*t will literally kill you. Radiation. Deathclaws. Switch that out for police helicopters with elite snipers and APC's. You'd get money depending on how far you can go. Vehicles would smoke out so you'd be force to go on foot. Heavy ballistics armor than you can call in is disabled. Pretty sure players would find a way to glitch it so no cops spawn and you'd get like 100K just to walk as far as possible but the idea is nice.

• Skeve613 likes this

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't think invisible walls would be an immersion-breaking issue, simply because people would know where the borders were and wouldn't bother going there. You could have a couple of miles of desert or whatever with nothing in it, then a barrier, simple.

HopalongCasidy
  • HopalongCasidy

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

just have infinite procedurally generated desert with a single road here and there leading to other imaginary cities.

or it could be grassland

Gta VI, Kansas
  • Cutter De Blanc and Forza Harrd like this

CaliMeatWagon
  • CaliMeatWagon

Proud Kekistani

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 3 weeks ago

With the current "Islands Model", ocean borders can become rivers separating map expansions. 

C3yQdXpWYAEZnnE.jpg

• Spadge, DBrasco, El-Gaddafii and 2 others like this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Would be an interesting concept, but coming to think of it, it would be too much effort and energy wasted on something that would only please a couple of players.

Though this map definitely needs another big city since 2014, only Los Santos doesn't cut it at least for me.

Killerman29
  • Killerman29

Bone County Sunsets

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think we will never see the 3 cities of san andreas together again, because next gta game will have a new city, probably in san fierro or las venturas even vice city, but they missed a really good opportunity to remake the entire state

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

With the current "Islands Model", ocean borders can become rivers separating map expansions. 

C3yQdXpWYAEZnnE.jpg

they'd need to do a lot of editing to make the bridges work though

RetroStyle
  • RetroStyle

Jesus is Love <3

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nope, islands are a gta tradition, and it'd be weird to run into an invisible wall.

This. Gta3 used borders to define the map, but they didnt feel unnatural. But now that flight is possible any map restriction would break immersion imo. I hate playing witcher3 and you hit the imaginary map limit. 

trevorjc2511
  • trevorjc2511

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'd pay for a map expansion that included San Fierro and Las Venturas, i've always felt the GTA V map was too small.

Instead of the current 2 options for selling your product you could have an option for selling in different county for a greater reward.  Even for i/e car could be double the price if you sold in a different county.  I'd also like the option to have more than one coke business for example but only after achieving say $20 million in sales.

• El-Gaddafii likes this

Jamwes
  • Jamwes

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

The size of the map is relative to the speed of the transportation. The map feels extra small now because the latest DLC is about aircraft which can cross the entire map in just a few minutes.

I always think of most map edges to be rivers. Not that it really matters. They won't do a map extension with the current game. Any new games with an extended map will have a new map created just for them, so R* can do whatever they want with them.

If they actually added a new map to the current aging game, they would probably add something far away like Liberty City. Someplace all new that you'll need a loading screen to get to. But that probably won't happen because they would be better off putting resources towards GTA:O2 built on current gen technology.

Nacho Z
  • Nacho Z

Boss

• Members
  • England

Posted 3 weeks ago

It should always be an island for me, it's much more elegant than having a big ass invisible wall blocking you off along one side of the map. We just need bigger and better designed islands.

I wonder if one day it could be an entire planet albeit a really tiny one. It'd probably work best if it was just a really big map of America spread around a globe.

Mattoropael
  • Mattoropael

Proud Killer of Rate The Car Above You

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 3 weeks ago

I want islands, islands and more islands. Not a day goes by that I don't wish GTAV's map looked like Just Cause 2.

Spoiler

On the other hand, I shudder to think what Rockstar would do with resupply/sell missions. Yeesh.

You see, Just Cause 2's island setting works because it's an island nation they're depicting, i.e. it makes sense to be an island.

With GTA's maps (be it LC, LS, or the entire SA like back in... SA), it feels like aliens have abducted a landmass from the American coast and dumped it in the middle of the Pacific.

• Milesinho and Pedinhuh like this

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I want islands, islands and more islands. Not a day goes by that I don't wish GTAV's map looked like Just Cause 2.

Spoiler

On the other hand, I shudder to think what Rockstar would do with resupply/sell missions. Yeesh.

You see, Just Cause 2's island setting works because it's an island nation they're depicting, i.e. it makes sense to be an island.

With GTA's maps (be it LC, LS, or the entire SA like back in... SA), it feels like aliens have abducted a landmass from the American coast and dumped it in the middle of the Pacific.

This.

El-Gaddafii
  • El-Gaddafii

Jefe @ La coya Gaddafii

• Members
  • Gibraltar

Posted 3 weeks ago

I've always felt this map was a let down as its just a single landmass with nowhere to go really, especially since adding all these contraband/export missions it just doesn't make sense. I think multiple islands each with their own distinct characteristics as with other GTA titles would have been much better and would have made the map feel massive. It just seems silly owning a fleet of planes.

I've never entertained the idea of a map expansion before but to be honest there must have been a reason why rockstar designed their game map the way they did going against all previous map formats, I've never been pro-map expansion but it makes sense as a way to breathe life into a 4 year old game which many people have moved on from. I also don't under-estimate rockstars' greed anymore so I see it plausible they would release a paid DLC with story/map expansion included for online just in time for christmas
  • Rafae likes this

Forza Harrd
  • Forza Harrd

Chef

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

And the limited locations of landing strips makes airplanes kind of useless. Oh! I'm gonna get a Miljet and fly from LSIA to, uh, back to LSIA! Yay so much immersion!

Spadge
  • Spadge

Hoochie Coochie Man

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Spadge, 3 weeks ago.

I like the way they handled it in GTA III, even though the map was small it felt big. Instead of being an island you had mountains and a blocked of tunnel upstate. Also I don't know how they did it, but San Andreas felt way bigger than GTA V.
  • Killerman29 and trevorjc2511 like this

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 3 weeks ago

invisible walls are lazy and feel cheap, atleast when i fly out to sea my vehicle breaks down and you sink to your death or alternatively get eaten by a shark, much more entertaining than crashing into an invisible wall.

I'd like to see this idea applied to endless land, rather than endless ocean, in a desert you could have your car break down and people come to kill you, or you slowly lose health because of the heat.
  • Milesinho and Spadge like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users