Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would you prefer if San Andreas wasn't an island?

54 replies to this topic
Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

When you start playing GTA V/GTAO, SA seems vast, but after spending so much time in it, it begins to feel much smaller and you become more and more aware that it’s an island. 

IMO it would be far better if it were connect to a mainland. R* has obviously gone down this route to avoid the necessity for invisible walls, but for me, being very aware that it is in fact a completely isolated island in the middle of the ocean is far more immersion-breaking.  It becomes even more obvious when flying at moderate altitude, as you can see pretty much the whole island.

Would you rather SA were connected to the mainland with invisible walls at the borders? Personally I would.

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 3 weeks ago

When you start playing GTA V/GTAO, SA seems vast, but after spending so much time in it, it begins to feel much smaller and you become more and more aware that it’s an island. 

IMO it would be far better if it were connect to a mainland. R* has obviously gone down this route to avoid the necessity for invisible walls, but for me, being very aware that it is in fact a completely isolated island in the middle of the ocean is far more immersion-breaking.  It becomes even more obvious when flying at moderate altitude, as you can see pretty much the whole island.

Would you rather SA were connected to the mainland with invisible walls at the borders? Personally I would.

I always thought some sort of "grand canyon" type area where you're not allowed to cross and flying across or driving into it just gets you killed would work.  They could even stick some easter eggs on the other side, heheh

• kovaandr likes this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Sanches, 3 weeks ago.

Im not against this "island" format that Rockstar is using. Way better than being surrounded by mountains or invisible walls. But i get it, it's getting old.
I just want map expansions. Be it rest of San-Andreas (which i want more tbh) or be it Liberty-City.

• gtafan26, Skeve613, R3CON and 3 others like this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

just have infinite procedurally generated desert with a single road here and there leading to other imaginary cities.

or it could be grassland
  • AmyStone and jyssys like this

The-Irish-Hunter
  • The-Irish-Hunter

Beep Beep, I'm a Helicopter.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't want invisible walls, but I'd prefer if they had more than one land mass. 5's map feels smaller because it's all one big lump. The older maps feel bigger because you have to drive across bridges, and you can see each distinct part. 

• badmoon, gtafan26, El-Gaddafii and 9 others like this

_47_
  • _47_

Leutenant Colonel USAF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

The one landmass instead of an island would have been much better imo for GTA 5. More places to explore and etc.

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

The older maps feel bigger

I know right? At the beginning i was suprised hearing that GTA V's map is bigger than GTA SA.

• -LN- likes this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade Corporation
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nah, I prefer islands over landmasses with invisible walls, as it has always been in GTA. The latter would be more immersion breaking in my opinion. 

• Bongsquirrel, coelacanth72, Skeve613 and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I know right? At the beginning i was suprised hearing that GTA V's map is bigger than GTA SA.

More so content wise than actual size wise although it (may?) be bigger size wise too? Doubt it though as SA had like 3 cities and the surrounding countryside and desert to accompany them. It still feels like much bigger of a map than V.
  • Opzeker, R3CON, -LN- and 1 other like this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

i did prefer ivs map though, it felt way larger than it was but was all city.

Lupo-Akane
  • Lupo-Akane

Mi-24 Pilot

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

They should have used a little more of GTA SA map, when I first started I thought the map was to small.
  • -LN- likes this

tommyguns
  • tommyguns

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't think it makes a difference, an island, connected to the mainland, there is still a border around the game area, which you can't go beyond.

I don't know if its true, but I heard that they first thought of having a much larger map, then decided to trim it down for...reasons

Personally I would love them to add a new area, other games ha e done it, it should have been done already. R* would like it, no doubt they would adjust sourcing and sales so we needed to travel twice the distance to get them done ;)
  • Sanches likes this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't like the full city maps, they just feel too claustrophobic. At least with the 5 map you can get out of Los Santos. I would have preferred a map with San Fierro and Las Venturas though. That concept map that does the rounds, wow, that would be pretty great.

However, the flip side of that is that too large a map can become unwieldy, and it becomes a pain getting from place to place.

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

No, land locked maps always make the games feel smaller than they are

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 3 weeks ago

Geographically it looks unnatural. Islands don't look like this. Mount Chiliad just jutting out of the ocean is unusual but then you have the other mountains to the south and I don't know, it just really looks like a person created it, rather than natural geological processes

• Skeve613 and kovaandr like this

coelacanth72
  • coelacanth72

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nope, islands are a gta tradition, and it'd be weird to run into an invisible wall.
  • Matrelith likes this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

really looks like a person created it, rather than natural geological processes

UFO created Los-Santos? Chiliad Mystery?

CQ8UdZDSDBk.jpg

• Cutter De Blanc, BigJoe_1 and kovaandr like this

AredTarg
  • AredTarg

Arthur Morgan! Keep her in all black!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't really like the map design tbh

AmyStone
  • AmyStone

Amy Stone

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

It really doesn't make much different what it is. The map would be the same size.

• MisFit-138 likes this

The-Irish-Hunter
  • The-Irish-Hunter

Beep Beep, I'm a Helicopter.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

It really doesn't make much different what it is. The map would be the same size.

Map design does make a difference. A clever use of space can make a map seem much larger than it is. San Andreas is a good example of this. That map is f*cking tiny, but because of the way everything is laid out it feels huge.

• Mattoropael, El-Gaddafii, Skeve613 and 4 others like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think they should stay away from planes in newer GTAs and only add low flying helicopters.

tommyguns
  • tommyguns

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by tommyguns, 3 weeks ago.

I don't like the full city maps, they just feel too claustrophobic. At least with the 5 map you can get out of Los Santos. I would have preferred a map with San Fierro and Las Venturas though. That concept map that does the rounds, wow, that would be pretty great.
However, the flip side of that is that too large a map can become unwieldy, and it becomes a pain getting from place to place.
I agree about the city maps, I really didn't like going from the San Andreas map to IV. SA had so much variety, you got tired of LS, you could drive off to San Fierro, or Venturas...although I never liked it there. Or you could head into the countryside. IV had no variety.

But there is no reason a larger map needs to be unwieldy, u just localize everything. So you have 3 cities, you can base a business in any one of the three & depending which city your in, each has their own sourcing areas and delivery routes. Each would have its own character but all offer the general stuff to get by. So custom shops, ammunation, convenience and clothes stores.

If a player wanted, they could base themselves in one city and never need to leave it in the online game. That would be boring to me, but there would be no reason they couldn't.

R* probably wouldn't consider it unless they could have bigger session numbers. I doubt they would want 30 players in a map 2-3 times larger than the current one.

Don't want to drive or fly yourself? Just head down to the airport like in San Andreas and catch a intercity flight. You saw a cut scene of the plane taking off & if I remember right, could sit back and watch the flight or skip it & boom, your in the next city.
  • El-Gaddafii and trevorjc2511 like this

livejoker
  • livejoker

Wicked Fortune Teller

• Van Society
  • None
  • Funniest Member 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 3 weeks ago

Ehh, just do like Motocross Madness where you can climb a steep cliff and once you reach the top you get flung back into the map. Except this is Rockstar we're talking about so you can't reach the top without a flying bike and once you do reach the top the game flings you back while a bunch of players with explosive sniper rifles take shots as you fly back into the map area.

TCHfFkj.jpg

• Skeve613 and Matrelith like this

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Xiled, 3 weeks ago.

I'm also working on a video showing a jester drive around the highway system in both games and it takes like 8:30 to go around gta v map. It takes like 11 minutes in gta sa to go around map.

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by The Sole Survivor, 3 weeks ago.

all it would mean is that air vehicles would have a purpose. buying a vestra would have been useful etc.

i do kind of wish this game had more FLAT empty space, the desert is tiny and full of sh*t.

that said just cause was unwieldy, you ended up holding r2 flying for f*cking ages. driving would take hours. but if each city had everything you need in gtao it wouldn't matter.

arielmansur
  • arielmansur

Corporate Warlord

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 3 weeks ago

I just want san fierro and las venturas, oh boy how i would love to get a paid dlc for both, filled with online adventures.

SyrusTheVirus
  • SyrusTheVirus

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by SyrusTheVirus, 3 weeks ago.

I want islands, islands and more islands. Not a day goes by that I don't wish GTAV's map looked like Just Cause 2.

JC2_map.jpg

On the other hand, I shudder to think what Rockstar would do with resupply/sell missions. Yeesh.

• livejoker, Mattoropael, Pedinhuh and 4 others like this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Big Molio, 3 weeks ago.

all it would mean is that air vehicles would have a purpose. buying a vestra would have been useful etc.
i do kind of wish this game had more FLAT empty space, the desert is tiny and full of sh*t.
that said just cause was unwieldy, you ended up holding r2 flying for f*cking ages. driving would take hours. but if each city had everything you need in gtao it wouldn't matter.

It would be great to have somewhere to fly to in theory, but the reality is as you say, it can become a bind flying for ages. Even on the current GTA 5 map, you can sometimes feel miles from the action if stuck at the other end of the map from something happening.

Some nice open expanse of flat desert, salt flats and scrub without civilisation would be nice though. Also, some nice big forests etc
  • Fugitive69 likes this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by The Sole Survivor, 3 weeks ago.

It would be great to have somewhere to fly to in theory, but the reality is as you say, it can become a bind flying for ages. Even on the current GTA 5 map, you can sometimes feel miles from the action if stuck at the other end of the map from something happening.

Some nice open expanse of flat desert, salt flats and scrub without civilisation would be nice though. Also, some nice big forests etc
single player teleport taxis would work. but make them costly.
also add a ceo unarmed hydra for fast travel.

biker delivery missions on the just cause maps

lol

KingpinRCR
  • KingpinRCR

Thug

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 3 weeks ago

It could be connected to a landmass by a deathvalley-like dessert where your car dies when you reach a certain point just like planes etc. do over the ocean. Once the car's dead your health goes down slowly because of the heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users